Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Pulsar Bipe Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:17 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Pulsar Bipe Anyone?

Are you talking about a Pulsar or Spitfire Jim?

In any event, a computer radio with exponential would help soften control response and make any airplane more manageable.

Joe
Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Quikturn

Are you talking about a Pulsar or Spitfire Jim?

In any event, a computer radio with exponential would help soften control response and make any airplane more manageable.

Joe
Joe,

It's definitely a Pulsar. Power is a Como (Super Tigre) S61 ABC with muffler. I assembled it quickly without the interplane struts or aileron linkage and took a few pictures. You can see the rudder damage in the photos. One thing I did notice was that the hinge gaps were excessive. I'll have to take care of that before I try to fly it again. This is LITERALLY the first time I've handled it in 10 or 12 years.

The radio was a JR PCM 10X, so it has all the bells and whistles. I'm not a big fan of exponential, although I have used it SPARINGLY in the past. I'd much rather use low rate for flying and high rate only when needed.

The CG appears to be VERYCLOSEto what the plans show. I had a Zinger 12-6 prop on it. I think that just wasn't enough prop - it probably needs an 11-8. No idea why I had that club on there - I've been an APC guy for years. I think that muffler extension mght also be reducing the power a little. I've been emailing with plumberdeluxe this afternoon and after studying the pictures of the plans he posted I think I had WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much control throw when I flew it.

I'm new here, so guess it would be a good idea to introduce myself a bit. I flew pattern in the Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Texas area from the early 1980 through 2000, flying all classes including F3A. I judged at the AMANats for several years in the 90s, as well as the 1998 Masters Tournament to select the US team to the 1999 World Championships. I haven't been active in RC since I hung up my transmitter in August, 2000, after the Omahawks contest, but I've gotten the bug again during our current "clean out the old house so we can sell it" project.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93538.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	1837508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22798.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1837509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34667.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	1837510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72816.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1837511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55182.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1837512  
Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 PM

Wow, that's a very nice looking Pulsar you have there Jim. I would definitely get that flying again!

Expo is very handy IMO. I had a Lanier Shrike I build a few years ago and it was quite a handful when I first flew it. All the rates were set according to plans but it was still very twitchy. I used exponential to soften aileron and elevator control and it became much easier and nicer to fly.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:02 PM

Hey Jim,

Let me take the opertunity to welcome you to RCUniverse and the Classic Pattern Forum................. I'm sure your past experience will only add to the wealth of knowledge that is currently present in this forum. I assure you, you will not find another group of guys who are more friendly, or more willing to help another classic pattern enthusiast ANYWHERE ! ! ! !

David
Old 01-06-2013, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Quikturn

Wow, that's a very nice looking Pulsar you have there Jim. I would definitely get that flying again!

Expo is very handy IMO. I had a Lanier Shrike I build a few years ago and it was quite a handful when I first flew it. All the rates were set according to plans but it was still very twitchy. I used exponential to soften aileron and elevator control and it became much easier and nicer to fly.
Thanks very much, Quickturn. I think I'll copy the "Pulsar" graphic that plumberdeluxe posted and put it on top of the upper wing. The top and bottom of the wings are identical, so I'll probably add some more color on the bottom of the lower wing for easy indentification in the air. That's a nice way to say "my old eyes suck!!!!" There are also a few small dings as well as the rudder to repair following the cartwheel so that'll have to be done before any more flying.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

Hey Jim,

Let me take the opertunity to welcome you to RCUniverse and the Classic Pattern Forum................. I'm sure your past experience will only add to the wealth of knowledge that is currently present in this forum. I assure you, you will not find another group of guys who are more friendly, or more willing to help another classic pattern enthusiast ANYWHERE ! ! ! !

David
Thanks David., As we further excavate the basement, I'll post some more pictures of my "junk". I sold my good 2 meter pattern plane when I quit in 2000, and the only currently flyable pattern plane I have is an ancient Bridi Escape powered by a YS 61AR. It's old, heavy, ugly, and has hundreds of flights on it, but it still flies fine.

Jim
Old 01-06-2013, 09:19 PM
My Feedback: (209)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Jim,
Even an ugly Escape is still a fun plane to fly.

That Pulsar looks nice, really like the wheel pants on it.
Hopefully you can find some help here to get back flying.

Looks like you'll be done with yours before I'm done with mine.

Dave
Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 AM

Thanks, Dave. I noticed an interesting plane in your new hobby room pictures. It appears to be a midget racer (?) - 4th from the rear - that's Black, Fluoroescent Green and Fluoroescent Pink. I have an RCMTrainer 60 that I built 20+ years ago that I let my then 10-year-old daughter choose the color scheme, She chose EXACTLY those same colors. I'll try to excavate it and get a picture. It's been rebuilt once but it's still a great flyer. I may mod it this year into a tail dragger, as the new field I'll be flying at is all grass. I did that to a Trainer 40 many years ago - it was an easy mod.

AARRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!
Somebody's got to show me how to upload pictures so they aren't so big!!!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:32 AM

That would be a Super Hots 60 Jim.

Joe
Old 01-07-2013, 08:50 AM
My Feedback: (209)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Yep, Joe's right.
That is a Midwest Hots 60.
I've had it for many years, gave it a brand new engine, fuselage, and tail last year.

I like the wild colors, tell the little gal good choice!
As I get older my eyes appreciate it while flying.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim,
Don't use the "image" thingy at the top, go to "click here and upload images and files" on the bottom.
Chris...

P.S. Neon is awesome, I showed my wife your trainer in the snow, loves it. If you use those models in the summer they'll just be orange by end of June!
<br type="_moz" />
Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

Jim,
Don't use the "image" thingy at the top, go to "click here and upload images and files" on the bottom.
Chris...

P.S. Neon is awesome, I showed my wife your trainer in the snow, loves it. If you use those models in the summer they'll just be orange by end of June!
Thanks, Chris. I redid the initial posting and it works like a charm.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 PM

hi there. i recently aquired a second hand biplane off of a clubmember who had picked it up at the free table at the club. after looking around i have a suspicion it is th epulsar but i am not sure. it is very beat up. ive attatched some photos. if it is could some one please post the control throws, any expo and the cog. i have a hk inc 46 on it which seem to fly it alright. it tucks the tail in alot when turning and it doesnt like rudder. i tried a knife edge at full throttle at it just screwed out. the wingspan on the top wing is around 1260mm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33039.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1854184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64756.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1854185   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26940.jpg
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1854186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74027.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1854187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc40560.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1854188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg61253.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1854189  
Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 PM

also sorry for the bad pics. i took them on the little camera i usually use to take video from the plane
Old 07-25-2013, 05:30 AM

Hay Dave long time no see. Hope to see the finished product on here when you are done. Looks good so far, and keep up the good work.<div>
<div>
</div></div>
Old 08-18-2013, 12:41 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Dave, This Tom, the guy that sold you the Pulsar kit, I'm hoping you didn't give up on it. Update on progress ?