Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Header Pipes and Tuned Pipes

Old 02-03-2020, 08:26 PM
Samwright
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Pipes and Tuned Pipes

I am desperately looking for a header Pipe and Tuned Pipe for an OS61AX. Since Macs no longer makes tuned pipes, I have not found a source for these items. I still build Classic Pattern Airplanes even though the interest has shrunk to a point were the organization website shut fdown. We still have a few events in Southern California and hope we can keep it going.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:39 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Sam,
I have purchased headers and pipes from these guys: https://www.westonuk.co.uk/Genesis-Pipes/
I had them make me some custom wrap around headers and they were very helpful and prompt both communicating and completing the work which is very nice and durable. I have one header on an OS 95AX with more than 500 flights on it.
I don't know where Rancho Santa is located in California, but I recently read on RC Groups that there are 5 classic pattern events scheduled in Southern California this year. There is very little activity here on the east coast, though there seem to be interested pilots.
Regards,
Will
Old 02-04-2020, 06:18 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (53)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have custom made headers by a guy in Canada. I thought his name was Gary Mueller. I looked in my contacts, and I have him for Jet-Tech tanks. Maybe he did both. I would suggest getting in touch with Central Hobbies. They are the go to for F3A and pattern planes.

https://www.centralhobbies.com/
Old 02-04-2020, 07:56 AM
flywilly

Karl Mueller. Great guy, great headers. Unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago :-(
Old 02-04-2020, 08:36 AM
RCFlyerDan

Ah..... Darn, I didnít know. Yes he was a great guy and made perfect headers. I had a couple unusual headers and they were always perfect.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:24 AM
Samwright

Default Tuned Pipe Info

Originally Posted by flywilly View Post
Hi Sam,
I have purchased headers and pipes from these guys: https://www.westonuk.co.uk/Genesis-Pipes/
I had them make me some custom wrap around headers and they were very helpful and prompt both communicating and completing the work which is very nice and durable. I have one header on an OS 95AX with more than 500 flights on it.
I don't know where Rancho Santa is located in California, but I recently read on RC Groups that there are 5 classic pattern events scheduled in Southern California this year. There is very little activity here on the east coast, though there seem to be interested pilots.
Regards,
Will
Thanks for the update and response. I had no idea this would be that tough. I chased Hatori down in Japan, but they are catering to RC Cars and mainly helicopters. I am in the Novice Classic Pattern Class which is the stock muffler, but once you move out, I believe you can have a tuned pipe and retracts. Going electric solves the pipe issue, but sure love the sound of a 2-stroke up on the pipe.

Sam
Old 02-04-2020, 09:42 AM
RCFlyerDan

I have a tuned pipe and maybe have a header. Need to look in my box at home. Iíll post some pictures of what I have in stock here in an hour or two. 12:30 pm est.

Iím assuming you looked on eó-bó-aó-y?
Old 02-04-2020, 11:02 AM
RCFlyerDan

Default Pipes and Headers

I had to dig deep to find them.

I donít remember what this header went on. I think that it is too big for the OS.61 and OS.91. If you didnít realize, the.61 and .91 are the same case, just different piston and sleeve.

The longest pipe is 17 inches. I had it on the.91.
I think that you need the 39mm header, but it will be difficult to connect.

The two on the left I think is what you might be interested in for the.61. The far left is a little smaller and I remember it was in a BVM DF .91 or .96 turning 22k rpms, but really donít remember. The longest one, second from left, I remember using it on an OS .91. The two on the right I believe are small and used for.46.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:33 PM
Samwright

Default Sam's Header Pipe

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan View Post
I had to dig deep to find them.

I donít remember what this header went on. I think that it is too big for the OS.61 and OS.91. If you didnít realize, the.61 and .91 are the same case, just different piston and sleeve.

The longest pipe is 17 inches. I had it on the.91.
I think that you need the 39mm header, but it will be difficult to connect.

The two on the left I think is what you might be interested in for the.61. The far left is a little smaller and I remember it was in a BVM DF .91 or .96 turning 22k rpms, but really donít remember. The longest one, second from left, I remember using it on an OS .91. The two on the right I believe are small and used for.46.
I did get a tuned pipe, Kevin at Wings West had a new spare MACS for the OS65AX. I will need a header pipe. The dimensions center to center muffler mount is 1 5/8th". If you have one that will fit for a side exhaust, I am all for it.
Thanks,
Sam
Old 02-12-2020, 08:06 AM
bandit_av
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by flywilly View Post
Hi Sam,
Regards,
Will
Hi
Do you know if they will make a special S shape for the magic 60 for the Rossi 61,
or a special bent header, for example, to the Aurora or citation for the ys 61.
I've done a big research and didn't find nothing.
Unfortunately for the last few years I have been completely out of Hobby, and now I am slowly coming back.
I knew about 7 years ago, when I stopped, that there was Hatori or Mack, and now suddenly I find a problem with that.

thank you
avi

Old 02-12-2020, 09:31 AM
Samwright

Originally Posted by bandit_av View Post
Hi
Do you know if they will make a special S shape for the magic 60 for the Rossi 61,
or a special bent header, for example, to the Aurora or citation for the ys 61.
I've done a big research and didn't find nothing.
Unfortunately for the last few years I have been completely out of Hobby, and now I am slowly coming back.
I knew about 7 years ago, when I stopped, that there was Hatori or Mack, and now suddenly I find a problem with that.

thank you
avi
When Mac died, no one picked up his company or equipment. Hatori is off shore and mainly focuses on Helicopter pipes. I was fortunate to find a past US champ, Kevin Gribben who is a buddy and he had a stash of pipes. I have the pipe, but just need a side exhaust header for an OS65AX. Worst case I will have to make one. I heard if you freeze water in a tube it will bend easier, but haven't done that yet. If I fly Novice here, I have to run the stock OS Muffler. Once I move up in Classic Pattern I can go to retracts and tuned pipe. That activity is dwindling, but still a band of dedicated guys with neat old pattern planes.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:47 PM
flywilly

Weston UK, can and will make whatever header you need. They just need the exhaust dimensions or the engine manufacturer and the dimensions of the header. The 'S' header for the Magic or Skymaster is actually pretty simple. The offset header for the Aurora or Citation should also be easy to make. Kevin Gribben, mentioned above, made some very nice adapters for OS and YS rear exhaust 61s which you could use Rossi headers on. You might try sending an email to Leo at Ballistic Aircraft, Co. He might have some adapters and he was selling Rossi products.
Definitely a shame about Mac's Products and Hatori, too, but I guess the just wasn't enough demand.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:54 AM
flyonenow
My Feedback: (1)

Default West coast classic pattern

Originally Posted by Samwright View Post
When Mac died, no one picked up his company or equipment. Hatori is off shore and mainly focuses on Helicopter pipes. I was fortunate to find a past US champ, Kevin Gribben who is a buddy and he had a stash of pipes. I have the pipe, but just need a side exhaust header for an OS65AX. Worst case I will have to make one. I heard if you freeze water in a tube it will bend easier, but haven't done that yet. If I fly Novice here, I have to run the stock OS Muffler. Once I move up in Classic Pattern I can go to retracts and tuned pipe. That activity is dwindling, but still a band of dedicated guys with neat old pattern planes.
Hi Sam,
Glad to see your planning on coming out. We really have only one rule, no modern 2m planes in Advanced, Expert or Masters. The entry level classes are just that, entry level. So fly whatever you have. Tuned pipes, retracts are great!
Obviously we call it Classic Pattern for a reason, so most everyone is flying more classic designs, especially in the higher classes. But the emphasis is on fun and having new people give basic pattern a try.
I will be CDing two of the contests. The first of which is May 2nd out at RRCC in Perris. And the 3rd at our home club OCMA.
As far as your header needs are concerned depending on whether you need a standard, long or extra long you are looking for MACS #2860, #2861 or # 2862 These fit both the 61 FX & SF as well as the 65 & 75 AX
I can check my stash to see if I have what you need, but what's it going in and do you need standard, long or extra long?

Paul