Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

NEED Taurus Control Throws--HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 08:02 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NEED Taurus Control Throws--HELP

Does anyone have the recommended control throws from the Taurus plans? I recently bought from an elder(81 year old) RC'er his Taurus. He still flys but cannot see the "smaller" planes very well. I have the plane set up with CG at 4.75 to 5.00 aft of leading edge at the fuse. This info came from "Deadstik,"a friend of limited pattern plane knowledge(Dan, I'm just kidding). Dan is going to look for the control throws later tonight. In case he doesn't find the info in his files, I thought I would post the question here. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-24-2006, 07:08 AM
airbusdrvr

Default RE: NEED Taurus Control Throws--HELP

Deadstik left for the weekend and didn't find the flight control throw recommendations. Would appreciate the assistance of anyone who might have the aileron/rudder/elevator throws for the Taurus. Thanks
Old 03-24-2006, 09:42 AM
jjpetro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a copy of the original Taurus prints, I'll see if I can locate an answer for you.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:44 PM
jjpetro

Dear Mr Airbusdvr,
I searched my Taurus prints, no indication of the throws. I don't have a manual to consult either. Come to think of it, I'm not sure the Top-Flite Taurus even had a manual. Sorry I couldn't help.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:48 PM
airbusdrvr

Jeff, Thanks for your effort. Deadstik Dan is back home tonight and thinks he has an article on the Taurus that may have them. Failing that, I am going to program the throws using the TLAR(that looks about right) method and fly it. Thanks again, Ron H
Old 03-26-2006, 08:38 PM
mmattockx

Ron,

Using the SWAG method , and as a general starting point for all pattern ships, try about 15 degrees each way for ailerons and elevators and about 30 degrees for rudder. I would set these as your low rate choices and more like 20 degrees for ail and elev and 45 degrees for rudder on high rate. It won't be perfect, but it should let you get a feel and bring it back alive. Fine tune for preference after that...

Mark
Old 03-27-2006, 12:29 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Set up high rate for as much control throw as you can get on all surfaces without making the servos buzz. Then set up low rate for something around 60%. You'll be fine.

The old reed controlled models had very small control surfaces, since all they had was max throw or nothing at all. It is extremely difficult to get too much control throw on those old models when using proportional radios and stock control surfaces.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:28 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Taurus kit did have a small manual written by Ed Kazmirski. Aptly enough titled "How to fly the Taurus". Wing airfoil is a slightly modified NACA 2419 which was selected for plenty of drag. Wing and tail are set up at zero-zero, with a slight amount of both right and down thrust on the engine.

For a medium sized loop, the manual suggests 5/16" of up elevator and slightly more down elevator to keep the loops about the same size. With proportional, I would imagine that 3/8" would be the least throw you would want and maybe up to 1/2".

The aileron throws are suggested as 5/16" up and 1/4" down. Again with proportional, more throw is likely OK. No recommendations were made as to the Rudder.

Install your Lee-Veco .45 and go fly! On the original aircraft, he restricted the engine to only a carburetor bore of .250 on the carb and flew an entire competition flight on 4 1/2 oz. of fuel.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:52 AM
airbusdrvr

Ed, Mark and HighPlains, Thanks for your help. Ron H