Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Yoshioka Dash Five Pattern Ship

Old 01-29-2007, 04:44 PM
willygog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yoshioka Dash Five Pattern Ship

Hi, need a little help, I have an old Yoshioka Dash Five Pattern, it never came with the instructions manual. I do have the prints. I have run into a few snags regarding the installation of the landing gear and other things as well. Does any have an old manual for this bird. Or have any of you built one. The company doesnt make it any more and I really dont know how to go about getting a manual. I have been out of the hobby for 7 or 8 years and want to get back into it. Any ideas would sure be nice. I could have probly winged it ,, no pun there, back a few years but im pretty rusty now. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:58 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Yoshioka Dash Five Pattern Ship

There was no "manual", like the MK kits these only had construction notes on the plan.

I built one back about 89 or 90, don't remember too much specifically as I was in a building frenzy back then. I do recall it was a pain the get that nose gear working from the single retract servo. It was my first plug in wing & it was tight hooking up the ball link for the main retracts each time the model was assembled at the field. Was a sweet flyer though.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

I also have a NIB Yoshioka Dash Five45 kit I'm looking forward to building...I have a couple of other Kits ahead of it...I figure I need some building "Practice" before I attempt this one..he he

What are you going to power yours with?? What retracts are you using??

I'm kinda in your same boat...Just getting started after some time off...Pretty Rusty right now...So I probably wouldn't be much help...But hopefully others can chime in to help you with your questions...

Good Luck...Should be Sweet!!

Chuck
Old 01-29-2007, 10:32 PM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

Like Lotus 72, I had one back in the mid 80's. I also have one NIB that I bought back in 1992. I don't know how much help I can be but what questions did you have? I have a NIB YS 60 for mine, with a Hatori header and pipe. I just need to get it scheduled for the bench.

Ed

Lotus 72, any signifacne to your user ID?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:42 PM
willygog

retracts will be the tri gear from tower, there a little light weight but should do fine, power is gonna be either an OS 91 4c or a 60 Fox Eagle ringed 2c. I have been thinking about makiing it a fixed gear tho, might be an easyer way to go. I think I need to build a quick something or other also to get back into the swing of things. LOL I was gonna power it with a nice Enya 1.2 but my old radio took a bite over the years so I sold it for a JR622 six channel. Still gotta sick feeling over that one. but oh well new owner will be a happy camper. I'm a little terrified over sheeting the wings right now , thats when I stopped about eight years back. I looked up your plane , its exactly like what i have slightly smaller is all. I hear they do fly sweet, I bought it on sale for under 100 bucks at a shop closing out. Hard to find deals like that now adays. We'll have to keep in touch an compare notes. Go ahead and start it , I'll wait for you to catch up. LOL
Old 01-29-2007, 10:51 PM
willygog

Big question is the front retract where an how does it go. servo etc. Second is what is the best way to insure flat wings. before sheeting them , I have a fairly flat surface to work on but no wing jig. Third, do you think it needs to have a tuned pipe, I was thinking about a muffler with an extention to mount it along side or underneath? Thats about it for right now. I havent started to work it yet. but I have the wings the fuse all done except for some fine tuning, and I have to make a change for the motor that I decide to use. Whats your take on a 91 4c. instead of 1.20 4c or should I go with the fox 60 2c? What do you think, since your using a 60 2c piped?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Just a link...I see these guys are still around!! Yippie!!
Retracts:
http://www.dbproducts.com/store/sprt.htm
Home:
http://www.dbproducts.com/

Allot has changed...But allots still the same too..he he

Some more I'm Happy to see...
SpringAir:
http://www.retracts.com/
Robart:
http://www.robart.com/

Sorry...I was just browsing for some of my favorite components of the past...I just thought I may pass the link's on to you too..Just in case...

Maybe there is better stuff out now a days?? I dunno..

Have Fun...

Chuck

Old 01-30-2007, 12:14 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: edwarda10pilot

Lotus 72, any signifacne to your user ID?
I have been a Formula One fan forever, my first race was the USGP in 1966 & been hooked ever since. We still make the US & Canadian races every year but I have really gotten into vintage races & the Lotus 72 is my favorite older F-1 car.

Have been in RC as long, my dad had me flying a Rudder Bug also in 1966 at age 6...photo was in the old American Aircraft Modeler.

--Scott
Old 01-30-2007, 09:41 PM
edwarda10pilot

Willygog:
The nose gear was center in the fuse. When I had my plane, Hatori made an offset header that routed the exhaust or one side of the retract. I used Spring Air pneumatic retracts on my model I had a friend that use mechanical retracts on his. He mounted the nose gear retract in the fuse just behind the nose gear tire. It worked ok but the servo was always soaked with fuel and it failed rather often. If I was going to build my Dash 5 now, I would still use pneumatic retracts. I believe that what I did to ensure the wings did not have any twist, warp or bow was to build some shims/spacers along the leading edge, trailing edge. I have used this method before and it works well. What I did was go to a local lumber company (would now be Lowes or similar) and buy an 80" long by 30" wide hollow skin door. I set this up on a table and checked to make sure the door was flat from end to end and diagonally from corner to corner. Once I did this I maked the door laterally (along the 80" length). I started in the center or the door (40") in and then drew lines every 2". The lines were drawn perpendicular to the 80" length. I also drew a line along the center of the door (15" in from either side). This gave me a center line on the door. Once I completed all of the lines and teh center line I could very easily opsition the wing spars. Once I did this I had a a surface that was prety well marked and I could duplicate measurements on eather side of the center rib. Once I did this I then glued the shims for the leading and trailing edges to the door. Once I had the shims in place I positioned the spar and ribs and began dry fitting the parts as best I could. Once I was satisfied with the fit, I began removing the pieces and glueing the ribs, spars and leading/trailing edges to one another. I edge glued all of the wing skin sheets together on a flat surface suing aliphatic resin glue (it sands much better than CA), block sanded them and then glued them to the wing with Elmers glue. Now days you could use any alphatic resin glue ( elmers, white glue or similar). Prior to glueing the wing skins on, I took some lead shot, put about a half pound in some old socks (washed them first) and tied a knot in the end of the sock. These acted as weights to put enough pressure on the wing skins to ensure they contacted the ribs. I used a few straight pins to hold the skins in place while I set the leaded socks in place and to hold the skins to the wood surfaces where I could not put any lead weights (wing leading edge). If you use this method, just be sure that you only use only enough weight to press the balsa skins to the ribs and spars and not so much that it bows the leading or trailing edge. I let the glue dry for 24 hours and then remove the wings. Turn them over and repeat the process . With regards to the power plant, I would offer this. When I bought the Dash 5 back in the early 1990's four strokes are not what they are today. I have been using YS engines in all of my 'Pattern" type planes and I would not hesitate to use the 91 in your Dash 5. The nice thing about using a four stroke is that you would not have to find an offset header for your 2 stroke that would allow the exhaust to clear the nose gear. I don't think you would need any muffler for the YS other than the stock muffler. I have aftermarket mufflers on of my YS 140 and YS 120 pattern planes to quiet them down for competetion but I use the stock YS muffler on two of my smaller pattern planes (one with a YS 91 and one with a YS 110). I would suggest that you just install the 91 with the stock muffler. there may be others that say you can nevfer have too much power but I am perfectly happy flyiing my 60 2 stroke models with a 91 4 stroke. I hope this ahs been helpful. Sorry I got so long winded.

Lotus 72. Just curious. I too used to be a huge F-1 fan but I got tired of Schumacker winning all of the time, the inability to get into the paddock, etc so I watch on TV but haven't attended an F-1 race in person for quite a while. I used to go to the Long Beach GP. My first race there wa as a corner worker and I was at the first race which was held using the old Formula 5000 cars. I absolutely loved to watch Shcecter, Andretti, Villeneuve, Lauda,Regazzoni, etc throw the cars around Long Beach. I used to crew on some Atlantic cars when Villeneuve (the dad), Steve Saleen, Bobby Rahal were driving Atlantics. When Long Beach went to the Indy cars I stopped going. I went to the GP's in Phoenix but didn't like the layout nor the accessability. While I was doing the Long Beach GP stuff I was also driving a Lotus 51 and then a 61 formula ford. Spent tons of time driving at Riverside and Long Beach. As I got older and "wiser" I decided that I could not afford to punish the cars to run with the other guys so I quit racing.

Ed
Old 01-31-2007, 07:34 AM
willygog

Hmmm , well never too long winded, I enjoy reading the information, besides it wasnt quite long enough, I still dont under stand where you mount the front gear, near the firwall or on the firewall, I suppose it might help when I have the gear and can alighn stuff up and see how it goes with the hole in the bottom skin. Yes I would prefer the 91 in there, it is a ten year old one but it sure ran my 1/4 scale cub nice. Unfortueately pnuematics now are out of the question due to cost. I'm cheap these days. I had a nice Robart set on my F4U and they never seemed to work just right for me, seemed they always ran out of air , leaks an stuff. I sold them off and got rid of them. I am puttering with the dash now an trying to refresh myself where I was at when I quit building it but I think im gonna get a dazzler or something small to get my air feel back. Heck I might get a hgh wing trainer again , its been a long time .
Old 01-31-2007, 09:15 PM
edwarda10pilot

I am not sure about the nose gear. I think that I used a belly mount gear> You just have to look at the fuse and if there is a flat ply plate that separates the bottom of the fuel tank compartment from the bellpan area, you can mount a belly mount gear. If not you can always mount the nose gear to the firewall. If you use a mechanical gear you could try to mount the servo in the fuse and activate the retract rod using a ny rod or similar flexible device. If you did this the servo would not get fuel soaked. I would agree that you probalby woudl be better off with the 91 4S. Did you start the model a while back and are getting back to it now or is it still in the box?

Ed
Old 01-31-2007, 09:36 PM
willygog

Hi, yes I started it almost 7 years ago and am just startng it again. I purchased a kit, a lanier stinger to get the feel for assembly back again, but im just piddling with this ,looking for all the parts and trying to decide what to do and how, I have thought about just using fixed gear and making it a tail dragger. seems that would make life so much easier, but you know it was designed for trike gear so I am going on that idea. plus I already have the wings half sheeted and the side I sheeted of course has the wheel well on it . figures. LOL the fuse is almost completed as well the belly pan. I had a motor in it the enya 1.2 but like I said sold it off. my old radio was so dried out hte plastic got brittle and the handle fell off in my hand, so that hit the floor and the battery yanked the plug on the board loose so I just went for a new / used radio. a step down from my ole 347 but its still better than nothing, got a six channel 622, should do the trick. I am quite anxious to get back to flying, I was just about to start doing pattern when I had to quite. But I M ready again. I have had plenty of time to forget the laws of gravity. And yes for all that time I have been hauling the half finished kit all over the USA.