Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Pattern Ships from the "Golden Age"

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Rcflyer22407
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pattern Ships from the "Golden Age"

Sound right...now how do I attach the ailerons? Unless someone that first had it didn't correctly put the
rods in...cause there are not torque rods anywhere. thanks again
Old 04-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Was in my shop cutting Tiger Tail parts and needed to look at the article. When I was in the magazine cabinet I found some early 70's Flying Models and there were quite a few "Pattern" designs inside.

Intimidator RC Jan 1972 FM Marty Meyer plan # CF249
Faimeister Jul 1972 FM Bob Caplan plan # CF269
Escapade Aug 1972 FM Gene Rogers plan # CF270
Joey the
Trophy Hunter Aug 1972 FM Dick Sarpolus plan # CF272
Tailgater Jul 1973 FM Phil D'Ostilio plan # CF303

I'm sure that none of these ever won a Nats but in the SPA "lets have some fun and fly old pattern planes" they should work really well. And they are all still available from the Flying Models Plans Directory.

Have fun and enjoy Golden Age Pattern

Peace

Mark O'Connell

Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 PM
cllaurit

You don't use rods, servos are installed in the wing with one for each aileron.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Rcflyer22407

OK...thats the only way I was going to mount the servos....even without any cutouts in the wing...I was wanting to keep it original.
Now the tuff question: How do I attach the ailerons and elevators to the aluminum rods that are installed in the trailing edges??
FYI: The rod is hollow with the leading edges of ailerons and elevators grooved so they fit over the rod. Now, how to attach.
I hate to remove the rods and install with hinges. Any answers? thannks again!
Old 04-04-2007, 06:56 AM
jatik

Hi there,

You could use Robart Hinge points.... info [link=http://www.pilotsguide.com/rc/hinges.shtml]HERE[/link]

Just my 0.015 euros....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42436.gif
Views:	21
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	656671  
Old 04-04-2007, 07:16 AM
Rcflyer22407

GREAT !!! Most excellent reply to my post. I will definitely check into this and keep it original.
Have a great day! Cheers!
Old 07-03-2007, 04:29 AM
jnred123

Tony
Did you get that Banshee kit and whats the kit like.
I built one from scratch in the 70's scaled up from the magazine article, Webra Blackhead, Goldberg retracts all off one servo ( what a nightmare ),but it flew great, fast on rails and great knife edge.
Cheers
Greg
Old 07-03-2007, 03:54 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mad Man Marko-RCU

Was in my shop cutting Tiger Tail parts and needed to look at the article. When I was in the magazine cabinet I found some early 70's Flying Models and there were quite a few "Pattern" designs inside.

Intimidator RC Jan 1972 FM Marty Meyer plan # CF249
Faimeister Jul 1972 FM Bob Caplan plan # CF269
Escapade Aug 1972 FM Gene Rogers plan # CF270
Joey the
Trophy Hunter Aug 1972 FM Dick Sarpolus plan # CF272
Tailgater Jul 1973 FM Phil D'Ostilio plan # CF303

I'm sure that none of these ever won a Nats but in the SPA "lets have some fun and fly old pattern planes" they should work really well. And they are all still available from the Flying Models Plans Directory.

Have fun and enjoy Golden Age Pattern

Peace

Mark O'Connell

---------------------------

I used to get a kick out of some of those pattern models (wink) that were designed by someone that had never flown pattern at all. They were very innovative, but mostly were useless for serious contesting.

If the author/designer had name recognition, they would publish him. Anyone remember Hal deBolt's .40 powered pattern ship with the all-sheeted wing? I can't remember the name at the moment, but that was one of them. Me, not knowing any better, but very enthusiastic, ordered the plans for the model. Then I acquired a pattern mentor who set me straight about the model. I still have the plans around here somewhere...

Ed Cregger

Old 07-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Hi Ed:
I do agree with the statement about designs that were sorta pattern not being worth the time and effort for a full fledged thrash and trim sessions but sometimes just the nostalgia brings back good times. I got a chance to fly Phil's Tailgater at Sherwood Island in CT once and it was a real nice plane. It flew smooth and predictable. We also had a good friend who we flew with since our teens who lived in Westerly RI. We flew RC and UC for years when in the early ninties he became very ill with cancer. He had built an Escapade and wanted to see it fly but was unable to make the trip to our club field so his wife got permission to use the third hole fairway of the local golf course which was next to his house. The plane had an HP 61 PDP and WE 7 expert radio. Took off and a couple of trim passes then right into nice 4 points and round and square insides and outsides. After landing he told us that he smiled for the whole 7 minutes. He passed away the next week. I for one would love to fly an Escapade in an SPA meet. Might smile as much as he did. We all have a bunch of NSRCA trophies and now we are ready to do some smilin- flyin.

Peace

Mark O'Connell
Oakdale, CT
SPA 337
Old 07-04-2007, 06:56 PM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony,
In the middle photo notice the 2 guys standing. I don't know who the flyer is,
but the caller in the white shirt is Marty Barry. Marty worked for Kraft and after that for JR.
Regards
JC
Old 07-05-2007, 11:53 AM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCBuilder42yrs

[size=3][color=#003366] Enjoy the photos... according to the text Jim did not retire this original Banshee until 2006!
Not exactly correct. The photo caption says retired Banshee 2006, meaning the photo was taken in 2006, and showed the retired Banshee. It does not specify when the Banshee was hung up there. Could have been hanging for a couple of decades.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:23 AM
piroflip2

ORIGINAL: Rcflyer22407

OK...thats the only way I was going to mount the servos....even without any cutouts in the wing...I was wanting to keep it original.
Now the tuff question: How do I attach the ailerons and elevators to the aluminum rods that are installed in the trailing edges??
FYI: The rod is hollow with the leading edges of ailerons and elevators grooved so they fit over the rod. Now, how to attach.
I hate to remove the rods and install with hinges. Any answers? thannks again!

HI there

I have a Calypso that I built from an MK kit in the late 80s and flew in F3A.
The kit came with plastic clips that slid onto the tubes, very similar to the GreatPlanes Flatana foamie 3D.
But where as the Flatana clips snapped into place the Calypso ones did not, they had to be slid from the end.
The idea was to stop control surface twist by gluing the ails, elevs, and rudder to an ally rod. Of course the control surface arms were also glued to the tube. It goes without saying though that these clips needed to be slid onto the tube BEFORE the tube was glued to the control surface so it looks like you are snookered. Perhaps the guy who started the kit did not read the instructions, realised his mistake, abandoned the kit, and binned the clips.

best of luck piroflip
Old 07-10-2007, 05:47 AM
daggets

it is lovely to see an original prototype of an legendary aircraft still there after more than 30 years... all the children are gone since a long time, but the banshee is still a live friend...
Old 10-28-2007, 08:47 AM
jonathanbse

[img][/img]