Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Engine of Aurora 25

Old 04-11-2007, 10:58 PM
petiteway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine of Aurora 25

Hi All:

I am really happy to find this site and join as a member, oh, yes, i am a new comer. hello everyone.

I am planning to buy a MK Aurora 25 kit becuase this kit looks so nice, someone here built skymaster 20 and i saw photos, really really nice.

but i really have no idea which engin can i choose to fit this kit, kit says need a 2C 25- 2C 32 engine, can I use OS32 to fit it? Also, I am thinking about can I fit a FS53 4C engine into it, this 4C engine is too havey I think and too big, but the sound would be nicer.

Could anyone please give me any idea?

Many thanks

Old 04-12-2007, 02:13 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Engine of Aurora 25

ORIGINAL: petiteway
clip:
I am thinking about can I fit a FS53 4C engine into it, this 4C engine is too havey I think and too big, but the sound would be nicer.
Welcome!!

Good Luck on the Aurora 25 Project!! Please keep us posted!!

I have an Aurora 45 kit...I plan to scratch build an Aurora 60 also...

I'd "Personally" vote for a 2 stroke engine for your Aurora just from a kewlness stand point...Keeping with the lineage and all that sorta stuff...

I'm pretty hard pressed to find anything that sounds kewler than my YS .45 and Hatori pipe combo...When it's on the pipe...It's wicked!!

I have yet to fire up any of my YS .61's...I'm looking forward to running one of those guys soon!!

Now..One of Dub Jett's engines may rank slightly higher than my YS's in the wicked two stroke ambiance arena?? It's been a while since I've heard one though...But if memory serves me correctly...Those engines kinda make everyone else want to pack their stuff up and go home with their head hung low...

Hummm...I wonder what Jett may have that will fit an Aurora 25?? Maybe Bob27s will stop by this thread and offer some advise??

OK...Sorry to go off...Nothing wrong if you want to do a Four Stroke(put-put) power plant...I'm sure with the right muffler...It will be kinda kewl...(JK)

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 04-12-2007, 02:42 AM
Atlanta 60

Hello!!
http://www.jettengineering.com/

In "actuality" the Aurora is designed around a Rear Exhaust engine...Of course that doesn't mean you can't put a side exhaust engine on the Aircraft with a little modification!!

My 45 kit is labeled as a Aurora45/Aurora45 S...The "S" denotes Side Exhaust...They sent along a little supplemental sheet for the Side Exhaust Engine Instillation...(I could make you a copy of the "supplemental sheet" if you need it)

For a Rear Exhaust application...One little "Fly in the Ointment" is how you plan to do the landing gear...If you intend to do a trike/retracts per the original design...A Rear Exhaust engine will require a "non standard" header which comes off the engine at approx a 45* Up/Left angle to clear the nose gear retract...(I actually think it's pretty common on the Old School Pattern Aircraft)...

So in a way...Using a side engine may be a tad bit easier if your going to do the Tricycle gear...A 4C engine would probably eliminate some of the nose gear interference issues also...

Just some food for thought...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12845.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	662455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60862.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	662456  
Old 04-12-2007, 07:51 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: navav2002

Now..One of Dub Jett's engines may rank slightly higher than my YS's in the wicked two stroke ambiance arena?? It's been a while since I've heard one though...But if memory serves me correctly...Those engines kinda make everyone else want to pack their stuff up and go home with their head hung low...

Hummm...I wonder what Jett may have that will fit an Aurora 25?? Maybe Bob27s will stop by this thread and offer some advise??
The Jett BSE-25 through BSE-35 (and the BSE-40L too) are the right size for the job. All are the same physical size as the OS25, OS28 and OS32. Available as side exhaust or rear exhaust.
http://www.jettengineering.com/engines/bse30.html
http://www.jettengineering.com/engines/bseF30.html

No doubt one would be right at home in the little Aurora

Bob

Name:	Wu61782.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	662524  
Old 04-12-2007, 11:01 AM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

I built an Aurora 25 in the late 80's, as I recall these are actually made for a side exhaust engine with the pipe external & just passing under the wing on the left hand side.

I used an OS 32- it's a perfect choice. Yes, the Jett would be stronger & probably "cooler" but the OS is very adequate for this model. Hatori used to sell a side exhaust header that had just the right twist to run the pipe in the right way...that may be hard to do. If you can find a set of MK 20 size retracts they are worth the effort to install!

I probably had more fun with this Aurora & Joker 25 with a Webra 32 & retracts than I did with the 60 size stuff back then.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:32 PM
petiteway

Thanks all you guys, I did not get the kit yet, just planning to buy, so if the kit can fix a side exhaust engine as Lotus72D said, that would be great becuase i can just fit in an OS engine.
JettEngine is too expensive for me.

many thanks navav2002 and bob27s, I will post build thread when I start to build my Aurora 25 and also will ask you guys many many questions I think, becuase this kit will be my first real kit to build, RC is my hobby for 20 years already(I am 30 years old now), but all I did before is reading, reading,reading, so this time is the time I really can do something,,,,,,,, I can not sleep everytime when I think about my incoming Aurora kit.

thank you guys again !!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Atlanta 60

That is indeed interesting information Lotus72D posted...Great news!!

I looked up the OS last night...Yeah...It's allot more reasonable from a price standpoint...I also did a quick search for some tuned pipe info but kinda came up a little dry??

I'm not very familiar with those displacement engines...I would think there are guys running pipes ect on them though...Right?? I dunno for sure...

Not that you "Need" a tuned pipe...I just think they are a nice performance advantage...And they Look and Sound Kewl..Which is very, very important..he he

I have seen a really good looking picture of someones Aurora25 posted "somewhere" on this site...You may have seen it also?? I know I saved it to one of my computers...I'll try to find it...It was Kewl...

I think you will really like the quality of the kit...It is pretty much the nicest kit "I" have ever had...It's so nice..I'm a little worried about screwing it up..he he

I was actually planning to "save" my 45 kit...What I thought I may do is just use the original MK Kit as a Master...I'll just trace the parts and cut them from scratch to preserve the original...That way I know I will always have a back-up...

I'm defiantly making a copy of the drawings to work from and save the originals...

Have Fun and get some sleep..he he

Chuck
Old 04-12-2007, 08:41 PM
petiteway

Many thank navav2002, I will do your way becuase I think that is a best way -- keep original kit and copy the plan, buy some balsa and start from scratch, that would be more fun becuase I think the first man who build the first Aurora for competition was doing the same thing -- start from scratch. hehe

So I have chance to keep this beautiful kit for my whole life.... as important as my wife.

Many thanks
Old 04-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Atlanta 60

OK..While poking around a bit..I found that Macs Products does list Tuned Pipes and Headers for the OS .25-.32 FX, SX & FSR...I see a Pre Tuned set-up available...I suppose I overlooked that last night...Oh Well..Kewl..

Macs Products:
http://www.macspro.com/pretunedsystem.asp

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 04-13-2007, 07:23 PM
10-top
My Feedback: (22)

A friend of mine still has his, its set up with an OS 32, inverted engine, pipe on the side with retracts, it has more than enough power
Old 05-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Jim Duda

I use the Webra Speed 35 AERO #1023 with the Hatori manifold specifically made for the Aurora 25 and Hatori quiet pipe. Converted it to Spring Air retracts (main gear only). It seems to like the APC 10-5 prop!

Needless to say, it sure stands out among the current 3D style planes at the field...(wink)

Name:	Tr51893.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	691309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95091.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	691310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45267.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	81.8 KB