Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Just wanted to say hello

Old 06-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Dick Russ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just wanted to say hello

Most of you will not know me so I will start from the beginning. My name is Dick Russ and back in the 60's and 70's i designed the Integra and the Revenger. I flew pattern with my good friends Phil Kraft, Joe Bridi and many others that many will not remember.

I retired the Revenger 30 years ago and two weeks ago I took it out of the shipping box (used to transport it to the contests) to see what shape it was in. remarkably, it is in excellant shap and I have decided to put it back in the air. I don't plan on flying in competition any more (I'M now 70) but I think it would be enjoyable to fly pattern again. I will try to attach a photo of my wife holding the Revenger in California City in 1977.

I hope you enjoy the photo.

Dick Russ
AMA9254
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99508.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	966046  
Old 06-08-2008, 06:09 AM
dhal22

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Just wanted to say hello

very nice looking plane!!

david
Old 06-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Skip
My Feedback: (76)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you kit that plane? It's real nice.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:10 AM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Skip

Why don't you kit that plane? It's real nice.
Even just the plans would be nice! It's a sharp looking plane. Welcome to the forum Dick and be sure to let us know how the Re-maiden goes Oh, and I'm sure that a bunch of guys here have heard of you and your planes! The wealth of knowledge on this forum amazes me.[8D]
Old 06-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Dick Russ

In the mid 60's through the late 70's I wrote articles for R/C Modeler Magazine. Back in 1978 I wrote an article on the Revenger for RCM. RCM still has the plans available (#727) for those interested in building the plane. The plane is easy to build and one of the best flying pattern planes of the 70's.

Regarding putting it out as a kit. I did just that back in 73 thru 75 as Allied Hobbies Manufacturing. We made the Integra, the 1/2 A Streaker, BD-6 and many accessory items.

The Revenger came after we sold the company. At 70 I think I will let the younger people take on that kind of work. Lots of hours nd little pay.

Model Merchants in Texas did try to produce the Revenger as a kit but ran into financial difficulty before the kit could take off. There are probably still a few of the kits floating around. I think they sold a few hundred before thry went under.

Thanks for suggestion anyway.

Dick
Old 06-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Well Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself!!

What a beautiful Aircraft your Revenger is!!

Have Fun getting her back in the air.. [8D]

Chuck
Old 06-08-2008, 08:16 AM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Dick,

Please contact me at [email protected]

Thank you,
Scott Anderson
Performance Model Aviation
Old 06-08-2008, 08:30 AM
WEDJ

Welcome back!

A lot of us 70's pattern fliers are on this forum. Poke around and you will be amazed.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:48 AM
rainedave

This is one of the main reasons I love this forum. It's so cool when the original designers appear and provide info and history about their designs. But then, I spent nine years in grad school getting degrees in history so, I have a bias towards it. Thanks for posting Dick.

Scott, do you have a list anywhere of the classic pattern planes you are re-kitting? I didn't see them on your web site. Between you, Don Turnock, William Kaminsky, Jeff Petroski, Dan Hines, Dennis Hunt, Wing Mfg/Bob Harris and others (sorry I didn't list you) it's hard to keep track of who is kitting what. And, I have a few I'm working on and don't want to overlap anyone else's efforts.

David
Old 06-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: PatternPilot

Dick,

Please contact me at [email protected]

Thank you,
Scott Anderson
Performance Model Aviation

Kewl...

Old 06-08-2008, 10:18 AM
hrrcflyer

Dick,

That is a very nice looking plane indeed. Please keep us posted with a flight report when you get it flying again.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Dick Russ

Hello Scott,
I certainly will. i think I will be finished with the new equipment installation and have it ready to fly in a week or so.

Thank you for the contact

Dick
Old 06-08-2008, 12:00 PM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

David,

I'm doing the Peppermint Pattie II and the Deception and looking <vbg>

scott anderson
Old 06-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

Hello Dick, What a great surprise! So good to have you posting in this forum. I was hoping you would and knew you'd be hugely welcomed. As an aeronautical engineer and winning pattern plane designer/pilot, it's great to have you around like so many others and enjoying the hobby again. Please keep us posted on the Revenger restoration! Boy- am I itchin' to get started on a Revenger scratch build....
Old 06-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: Jeff Worsham

<snip> Boy- am I itchin' to get started on a Revenger scratch build.... <snip>
I had my eye on a Nutcracker...But I think I like the looks of this Revenger a bit more...

I'm reading between the lines a little here...But I'm kinda sensing there may be a kit in the works soon...

Please keep us posted Scott...

Oh Boy...Another on the list of things to do... he he

Old 06-08-2008, 05:15 PM
ChiefK

Dick,

There seem to be a lot of us coming back into the fold. I did so a couple of months ago too. I second the opinions that your Revenger is a great looking airplane. Thanks for the photo. Please post more. I'm also starting a collection of photos from the "old days" that you may be able to help me with. I have a good number from the Philadelphia Nats (early 60's I think). My plan is to create sort of a photographic history of RC pioneers (for a future website). Please contact me off-line if you think you can help.

My come-back pattern plane is a Tiporare that I've been carrying around for close to 30 years, but I'll keep an eye out for the possible Revenger re-kit. I find that RC is just as much fun the second time around (if not more).

Greg
Old 06-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Dick Russ

Greg,
I have to agree with you. i have really enjoyed the last couple of weeks tinkering with the plane.

The present status is I have installed new pneumatic cylinders and new hoses in the wing and the gear still works great on the bench. The old ones rotted off and were layinng in the box. The tread is nearly worn off of the wheels but due to nostalgia, i think I will fly it that way for a while. I kept a little log book in the shipping case where i recorded the number of flights on the Revenger. When I put it up in 1978 it had 1127 flights.

Back in 1973 Paul Imrisek (an engineer and modeler I worked with at North American
Rockwell) and I started a company called Allied Hobbies Manufacturing in Westchester, California. We started out with the Integra I designed. When the 1/2 A reacing took off, I designe a 1/2 A racer called the Streaker. These were our two main sellers along with an assortment of R/C accessories. In 1975 Paul designed a 40 size Integra but by that time we had to sell the company due to my being transferred to the Shuttle program at Edwards AFB. It was while I was Edwards that I designed the Revenger (1976).

I was bumped out of first place by one point flying the Integra at the 1973 Nats in Oshkosh. That was the first contest the Integra ever flew in.

Since you ask I am attaching a few pictures that you might enjoy. One is taken with my son and I (1974) with the first production kit of the Integra. The the second is the Integra on the runway, the third is 1/2 A Streaker and the last is the Revenger on my Bench (last week).

I hope you will find them interesting.

I do have a lot of photo's taken at several contests I would be happy to get my son to scan them and post them. let me know how you would like to do this.

Best regards,

Dick

Name:	Mk26407.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	966595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73896.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	966596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61450.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	966597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86103.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	966598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yk66789.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	966599  
Old 06-08-2008, 08:12 PM
KF4TH
My Feedback: (5)

Dick you don't get too old to fly pattern,check out the SPA(senior pattern association) The age of most members are your age and some above my age of 75.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Dick Russ

Thank you.

I'll let you and the group know how it goes after I put the Revenger back in the air.

Best regards,
Dick
Old 06-08-2008, 09:30 PM
casniffer

Dick,
I would appreciate if you could have some of the pictures scanned. PM me for email address. I would like to add them to the [link=http://www.trentonrcflyers.com/pattern/pattern1.htm]Classic Pattern Image-base[/link]. It started out with about 215 and now its up over 425. I have 50+ to add. Can you give me the specs for the Integra? I have another page I'm working on. Its the [link=http://www.trentonrcflyers.com/pattern/classicpatternlist.htm]Classic Pattern Plane list[/link].

Thanks
CAsniffer

Old 06-08-2008, 10:32 PM
rainedave

I have the RCM with the article. I can scan it tomorrow. Here's a small image of the plans to give everyone an idea of the construction.

Dick, the plans show an anhedral stab, but I can't tell from your photos if yours had this feature.

David

Name:	Nl29576.gif
Views:	46
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	966883  
Old 06-09-2008, 03:22 AM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

A flying bud (Jim Martin from Dequincy, LA) loved his Revenger back then.

Terry in LP
Old 06-09-2008, 06:57 AM
Dick Russ

Hello Dave,

It is difficult to see from the photo's. To answer your question; it does have anhedral just as designe it.

Dick
Old 06-09-2008, 10:03 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Hi Dick.....

Great to see you here......

I remember the Revenger article quite well.... it was an inspiration of sorts [8D]

The Revenger was one of my very first scratch-built projects (1978ish) and was indeed an outstanding flying aircraft.

I think Wing Manufacturing still has the canopy on their stock-parts list

Again, welcome...... !

Bob Brassell

Old 06-09-2008, 10:40 AM
stg61abc

Hi Dick, i still have this magazine !!!!
Love your revenge plane design. Dream of building it since kid!
Do you have more pics of the revenger?
thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.