Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

What will you build next?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 04:54 PM
hrrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What will you build next?

Gene,

Try here, www.eurekaaircraft.com. I've been drooling over a couple of their offerings myself!!
Old 09-13-2008, 07:28 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: RFJ

The Bullet was designed by my dad in the mid-60's & published in M.A.N.
Lotus72D

Was that the one in the March 1968 issue so is your dad Hale Wallace. If so I met him in England in 1970 at the scale World Champs where he flew a beautiful Chipmunk Special. Will never forget his inverted flypast option - spectular.

Ray
Yes, my Dad was Hale Wallace & that's awesome you were able to see the WC. The model was lost at the '71 Nats due to interference after posting highest the highest static score. The attached photos is my mom holding the Chipmunk, sadly both passed away too young in 2000.
Dad was an avid scale and pylon competitor in the 60's and early 70's before turning to full scale and building Oshkosh award winning Skybolt biplanes, and in 1999 again won a best of show at Oshkosh with a beautiful Knight Twister (15' span!) all the time battling cancer. He never lost his passion for RC and he and I flew in many SAM Champs over the years [img][/img]where he greatly enjoyed running the old ignition engines, but he also flew everything from ducted fans to vintage rudder only models all the while.

Cheers,

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17332.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1032725  
Old 09-14-2008, 04:08 AM
RFJ

Scott,

Thanks for the information and nice picture - your dad sounds like he was a real great modeler and very sorry to hear of his passing. I hope you are maintaining the family tradition

It's a long time ago but I do remember him saying that he had been taken for a flight by Bill Lumley in the full size Chipmunk when he was building his model. I thought it was one of the best models at that World Champs, beautifully built and very well flown. He eventually placed fourth but deserved to be higher.

I expect you have lots of photographs but here's another one anyway. Taken in England at the 1970 WCs with Maxy Hester (2nd) and Walt Moucha (5th)

Ray

Name:	Yw67309.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1032976  
Old 09-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hale Wallace, now there's a name that brings back a lot of memories. Back in the day when my father used to compete in pattern, Hale was there competing in scale. I remember his Cobra (awesome aircraft!) with the drop tanks, after he would drop them in flight, I would go hunting for them and retrieve them for him. Sometimes they were hard to find as olive drab hides well in tall grass. I also remember his Cessna Skymaster, what a beauty that was. I'm glad to hear the Hale enjoyed aviation until the end. Very sorry to hear of his passing.

FB
Old 09-14-2008, 10:56 AM
RFJ

The man himself with the Skymaster at the 1965 Nats.

Quite a model for it's time - 76" span, 10llbs weight, two OS 49s

Ray

Name:	Ki20296.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1033102  
Old 09-14-2008, 01:01 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Thanks for the kind words about my dad. Yes, he did indeed get a ride in Lumley's Chipmunk. We planned a family vacation to Florida in the winter of 69 & one of the stops was Hollywood, Fl were the airplane was based to take the 100's of photos neccessary to put together the documentation package.

I was only 5 when the Skymaster was flown at the Nats but I do recall that the first flight at the Nats was also the first flight on the model, was complex in it's day with working nav and landing lights, working oleo struts and nicely made impeller shroud for the rear engine...still being finished right up until the day we loaded up for the Nats.

The P-63 had a long competitive life, and was not based on the Sterling kit as it was a good bit larger and used a ST-71 for power. Was originally olive drab but was re-finished in silver for the 69 Nats where it came second.

Sorry to have de-railed a pattern thread a bit. Dad always had a nice pattern model around (including a Sultan, Eyeball, Tiger Tail and later a Tipo) and flew every weekend to stay sharp, but rarely competed in pattern as scale and pylon (he used to build deBolt's racers in exchange for kits/radio gear) were his priorities.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:38 PM
RFJ

Couldn't resist another shot. Actually, I think Hale is saying "Where the heck has FB got to with those drop tanks"

Ray

Name:	Om34599.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1033223  
Old 09-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Gene Margiotti
My Feedback: (4)

Hrrcflyer,

Thanks for the link!!!!

Gene
Old 09-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couldn't resist another shot. Actually, I think Hale is saying "Where the heck has FB got to with those drop tanks"

Ray
Good one Ray! Thanks for the laugh!!