Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

world models intruder

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: world models intruder

ORIGINAL: Free Bird

Additional note: One of the guys in my local club who has witnessed my recent troubles gave me a ''sympathy'' model from his workshop, to keep me busy. It's a partially constructed J&J Troublemaker in somewhat rough condition that has been hanging around his workshop since the early 80's. He apologized about losing track of the plans, but guess what... I still have a set of plans. This is the same model I flew to a 2nd place in ''novice'' at the 74 Nationals. Of course, that model had retracts and a screaming Webra Speed .61, but it'll have to be fixed gear (maybe taildragger) this time around. However, I still have a very healthy Webra Speed .61 to put in it. I'm considering starting a thread when I'm ready to restart the previous construction.

Greg
Go for it Greg! I've got a NIB kit that perhaps I'll get to late this winter. My Dad and Bonetti were pretty good friends back in the day.

FB

I still have most of my 50 & 72 MHz equipment left. All of the talk about newer 2.4 GHz equipment crashing models is making me hesitate to use my newer 2.4 GHz gear, other than for park flying lightweight electrics. Me thinks the manufacturers turned the 2.4 GHz SS gear loose on the public too soon. How say ye?

Ed Cregger
Old 10-12-2010, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been shot down in the past by interference too.... I think 2.4 is the way to go. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe the radio has a component that is failing or intermittantly failing. These things happen with all radios. In any case, I'm not considering a return to frequency controls.

Greg
Old 10-12-2010, 10:51 AM

ORIGINAL: ChiefK

I've been shot down in the past by interference too.... I think 2.4 is the way to go. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe the radio has a component that is failing or intermittantly failing. These things happen with all radios. In any case, I'm not considering a return to frequency controls.

Greg

You make an excellent point, ChiefK. It doesn't matter what kind of radio problem crashes your model, it still sucks.

My first six meter R/C system was a Kraft set up on 53 MHz (new Tx module and Rx). Our flying field had a road running past the southerly end, only fifty feet away. Along that road were telephone polls and power lines. Every time I went to make a low pass or landing approach over the power lines and across the field, multi-path would cause my radio to apply full down elevator on my radio testing model (RCM Trainer 60). Talk about creating a super pucker effect. It wasn't long until I determined that flying that radio with that 53 MHz Tx module and receiver at that field was a no-no. I was really ticked. All of that money spent and the time and effort to get a ham technician class ticket for naught - unless I was willing to drive another twenty miles to use another club's flying field, where it worked absolutely perfectly.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-12-2010, 12:14 PM

My favorite story involves a new Mach 1 in the late 70's. I was serving in the Air Force at Hickham AFB, Hawaii and I'd heard that some RC'rs were flying on Ford Island near Pearl Harbor. So that's where I go to maiden the airplane. No one else was there.... but the flying field looked good, so off I go. I'm guessing that the Navy was transmitting some kind of strong signal that locked up my Pro Line radio. The Mach 1 ended up "lost at sea", never to be seen again.

Speaking of radios, I ordered my Hitec Aurora 9 (2.4), w/the 9 channel receiver, and separately, I ordered 4 Hitec HS-5625MG servos. Might be able to try again with the Intruder weekend after next, assuming the new cowl and the radio gear is delivered in time.

Greg
Old 10-17-2010, 12:52 PM

Greg
Just a followup... I sent my Spektrum DX7 back for checkout and repair. After some discussion with another tech yesterday (and an OK by his manager), Horizon agreed to exchange my old system for a complete NIB system. That certainly puts the issue of "trust" to bed. A "good-will" gesture like this needs to be reported just as the bad stuff is reported. Customer support at its best!

PS: I finally got the "avatar" feature to work... what do you think?

Greg
Old 10-26-2010, 03:43 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chief - Fly that dude yet ? It's gonna get some hangar rash.

Crank
Old 10-26-2010, 03:58 PM

Crank,

The Intruder is ready for another attempt at a maiden flight. Was out of town this past weekend, so I'm looking forward to this coming weekend. Thanks for asking.

Greg
Old 10-31-2010, 01:46 PM

It's finally done.... maiden flight and one more were completed without incident. The airplane trim was pretty close, but the airplane was way too sensitive to the controls. After completing minor trim changes,, brought it in to reduce movement of the ailerons and elevator. The next flight was impressive. Nice four-point rolls and three consecutive rolls. Nice big loops that tracked well. Spin entry and exit easy. Stall turn - no problem. Smooth gentle climb-out on takeoff and solid control of landing sequence. Only negative... the clear covering AM put over the wing leading edge is already coming loose.

Nothing to do now but practice and start working on a backup airplane. Photos show taxi out and landing approach of the maiden flight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18017.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	469.7 KB
ID:	1526170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46236.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	1526171  
Old 10-31-2010, 02:08 PM

Good job Chief. Dial in some expo, fix dual rate, minimum amount you are comfortable with. The approach look's perfect. Where did you end up placing the battery pack in the fuse?

Crank
Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 PM

Good advice Crank. I'm doing just as you suggest. Battery pack is underneath the fuel tank. CG is right-on without any additional balance weight needed. This really feels good... I was starting to get gun shy.

Greg
Old 10-31-2010, 05:17 PM

Good advice Crank. I'm doing just as you suggest. Battery pack is underneath the fuel tank. CG is right-on without any additional balance weight needed. This really feels good... I was starting to get gun shy.

Greg
Greg - don't be afraid to play with the CG, it's very tolerant of an aft CG. If you're using the recommended CG in the book, it's too far forward. If I remember correctly, mine is behind the main landing gear blocks. Continued success with your 'Truder, you're going to love it!

FB
Old 10-31-2010, 07:47 PM

FB,

I'm going to leave the CG as is, at least for the time being. The CG is right at the main gear.... it'll drop onto the rudder without a prop and spinner on the engine. What would be the benefit of moving it back any further?

Greg
Old 10-31-2010, 10:10 PM

I have a NIB several year old Spektrum 7000 system. Should I send it back for updates before using it? I'm interested in the opinions of those that frequent this forum. Thanks.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-01-2010, 04:57 AM

Ed,

My AR-7000 has been back to Horizon Hobbies two or three times in the three years I've been using it. They have updated the firmware at least twice in that time. As far as I know, none of these updates were intended to fix "critical" problems. There have been no "recall" issues. So there's probably no urgency to returning the system prior to using it. I will join many on RCU to recommend that you replace the receiver battery with a good quality 6.0v battery. That said, if you have any discomfort about using the system after having it sit on a shelf for two years, by all means, send it in.

Greg
Old 11-01-2010, 06:51 AM

Definitely, send it in. My DX7, a year old, just sent it in for a check up, along with my X9303 - 2.4 tx. Horizon found the tx battery in the 9303, leaking, unknown to me, they replaced it with a 2500 mah tx battery, installed the latest 2.4 antenna, checked all out. The DX7, sent with an older R7000 receiver, they replaced the receiver, tx antenna, checked everything out, all at no charge, "In the spirit of customer service", they said.

I was not having any problem's with either set. I have been using the red original 921 - 2.4 rx with the X9303, never sent it in, still flying great. Purchased another 921 rx 2.4, just a different color case, all looks the same.
Recommend going to 6.0V battery pack's. I purchase most radio gear direct from Horizon.

Crank
Old 11-01-2010, 11:44 AM

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-01-2010, 01:56 PM

FB,

I'm going to leave the CG as is, at least for the time being. The CG is right at the main gear.... it'll drop onto the rudder without a prop and spinner on the engine. What would be the benefit of moving it back any further?

Greg
Most that fly this model start with the CG too far forward. Just trying to save you some trimming efforts. Your CG is fine where it is.

FB
Old 11-01-2010, 03:16 PM

FB,

I understand, and thanks for the heads-up. What I do need to do is to put a little lead out in the left wingtip to offset the sideways engine mounting. I'll do that before my next outing.

This airplane does look really nice in the air.

Greg
Old 11-01-2010, 04:04 PM

Being a USAF veteran, the Navy paint scheme rubs me the wrong way - but what the hey. I'll locate one of mine (Intruder 90's) and get it set up for either an OS .61 SF side exhaust engine or a four-stroke. I have a Saito .91, a Thunder Tiger .91 (with black fins - that's good for another 1k rpm, I suppose) and a Magnum .91 for choices in four-strokes. Oh, and if I want to burn enough nitro to make up the difference, I have a pair of Saito .82a engines that would move that CG back a bit, I'll bet. I'd probably have to add nose weight if I chose an .82.

The wife retired today. Now I'll be able to spend more time in the shop, which is just the way it works out for various reasons.

Anyone heard from Hobbsy lately? I don't recall seeing his posts of late.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-01-2010, 04:13 PM

Ed,

As a fellow Air Force veteran, you might have noticed that I didn't put any of the Navy decals on the airplane. I have several Webra Speed .61s left over from the "old-days", but I wanted to use the Intruder as a platform for my first 4-stroke... a Saito .91. It's a little too quiet, but it pulls the airplane very well.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51029.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1526818  
Old 11-01-2010, 06:06 PM

I'm not a vet (got into too much trouble as a childhood performer, no service would hire me), but my dad was Navy and with mine I'll GO NAVY.
Wish I could get to my Intruder. Looks promising for next year, though.
Since mine came almost completely stripped of film cover, would you guys advise removing the white film too, and going with Monokote from the start?
Chris...
Old 11-01-2010, 07:01 PM

Chris,

I've got no problem with Navy. My dad was Navy too (WW2).

I left the original covering on the Intruder because I was anxious to get something flyable into the air again after a series of crash damaged aircraft. I've got two flights on the Intruder and it's already starting to shed its skin. I wrote to Airborne Models who basically blamed it on an extended supply chain and "weathering" related to container shipping stresses onroute from China. Their advice was to "reseal and touch it up". If I hadn't been pressed for time, I think a complete recover effort would have made sense, and probably will be needed sometime down the road. The other side of the coin, however, is that the factory color scheme provides very good visability of the airplane in flight.

Hope that helps.

Greg
Old 11-01-2010, 11:18 PM

Thanks Greg,
My Grandpa Mac was a Sea Bee in WWII. He was THERE, on Saipan. Dad was an aircraft mechanic, Air Crew member, and Flight Engineer. He was on a Kiddie Cruise during Korea and was drummed out afterward, as I guess all of them were. He was in VP-6 and then VF-194 on the Boxer during the '53 cruise. I always thought it was cool he was out by 20 as a 2nd class Petty. He's a retired TWA Captain and my regular R/C flying partner.
That weathering makes sense, actually. I bought mine from a private party that had removed all of the black and orange but left the white. I like the old Kirkland model and it's Navy training scheme so I will give it a similar scheme. Was thinking of neon red instead of orange and Navy Blue as trim.
We'll come up with something cool.
Chris...
Old 11-02-2010, 04:59 AM

Sounds like a good plan Chris... go for it.

Greg
Old 11-02-2010, 12:55 PM

Greg
Just a followup... I sent my Spektrum DX7 back for checkout and repair. After some discussion with another tech yesterday (and an OK by his manager), Horizon agreed to exchange my old system for a complete NIB system. That certainly puts the issue of ''trust'' to bed. A ''good-will'' gesture like this needs to be reported just as the bad stuff is reported. Customer support at its best!

PS: I finally got the ''avatar'' feature to work... what do you think?

Greg

I like your avatar, Greg. Very, very nice.

Ed Cregger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.