Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Man is Arrested for attempted Attack!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Man is Arrested for attempted Attack!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 04:15 PM
allamericanflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Man is Arrested for attempted Attack!

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: allamericanflyer

I like how they said large remote controlled aircraft and then later stated he had an F-86 delivered to him. If it is indeed the E-flite F-86 then I hope he was not planning on causing much damage???

You can guarantee this will be used in the future proposal from the FAA...may not have much merit as this is (so far) a recent isolated incident.

We'll wait and see.

NOTHING that the FAA is currently doing is motivated by security concerns, it's not their area of responsibility. They have made this point repeatedly. They are motivated by air safety concerns. Period.

What scares me is what DHS might get a bug up their butts to do. But on the other hand Nissan can still sell Pathfinders despite some idiot trying to load it with explosives in Times Square.
Excuse me but all I was saying is that another department, like the DHS, could get involved and use this incidentin an attempttorestrict access to the NAS. The NAS does fall intothe FAAsrelm so if there is a security concern I am sure they will be involved with the discussion.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:17 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: foodstick

I am beginning to believe you can't trust anything you see on the news, Heaven knows whenever I have read an article in the newspaper about something familiar to me.. it was NEVER correct.

That's how I feel about all media.

Read in the NRA mag years ago that some South American police force instructor was teaching the cadets to shoot with the pistol held sideways because that's the way they do it in American movies.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Generally, when following a breaking news story, the rule is: the first three reports are wrong. This one concerns me a bit since the first report is that my hobby is being used as a terror weapon. I would like to think the story is so much hype, but I am worried. Even if it all were to turn out as a fake(hypothetically), the perception stays intact.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:30 PM
AmishWarlord

"The plan called for three remote-controlled aircraft to carry out the attacks, along with six other gunmen divided into two teams, with Ferdaus coordinating the operation."

Well he's not as dumb as we thought. He seems to like waging his jihad from the couch.

RC planes and RC cell phone controlled henchmen.

"Go my brothers, I wish that I was appointed to go with you but alas, Allah has chosen my path to sit behind and coordinate". LOL

Old 09-28-2011, 04:39 PM
allamericanflyer

Here is the link to the FBI website concerning the story:
http://www.fbi.gov/boston/press-rele...t-organization
Old 09-28-2011, 05:11 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCKen

This thread has been moved from:

to

Reason: Not directly AMA related. While this issue does affect the entire hobby, it's not directly an AMA issue. Therefore I've moved it out into the general forums.

Ken-
Are you kidding? This is the perfect PR opportunity for the AMA to contact the news agencies as the "world-class association of modelers organized for the purpose of promotion, development, education, advancement, and SAFEGUARDING of modeling activities". Emphasis added on purpose.

As pointed out in several posts, the media is relatively uninformed about our hobby and the state of model aviation across the US. The AMA is our world-class association that has the opportunity to call these media outlets and inform them on the state of model aviation and its historical safety record. Believe it or not, most of the media are looking for people/organizations to bring enlightenment to major news stories they are reporting about. I really believe that the AMA will miss a large opportunity to tell the model aviation story if they simply sit on the sidelines of this story...particularly if it goes beyond being reported for more than a day or two and then disappears.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:27 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Well, if it's FOX news it's probable made up
Yeah...gotta go to MSNBC to get the straight scoop
Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or CNN.

They reported it was a $6500 F-86 Sabre and showed a photo of an F4 Phantom model.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

The CNN reporter said the F-4 was a F-14 Phantom. Got the Sabre right thought.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/09/28/us...n-plot-arrest/
Old 09-28-2011, 06:58 PM
jessiej

It seems CNN made up the same story. Or perhaps one plaigerised the other?

jess
Old 09-28-2011, 07:00 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Yeah...gotta go to MSNBC to get the straight scoop

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

[&:][&:][&:][&:][&:][&:][&:][&:][&:]

Right, and OJ really IS innocent of murder [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 09-28-2011, 07:06 PM
FMRR

ORIGINAL: tevans55

to

Reason: Not directly AMA related. While this issue does affect the entire hobby, it's not directly an AMA issue. Therefore I've moved it out into the general forums.

Ken-
Are you kidding? This is the perfect PR opportunity for the AMA to contact the news agencies as the ''world-class association of modelers organized for the purpose of promotion, development, education, advancement, and SAFEGUARDING of modeling activities''. Emphasis added on purpose.

As pointed out in several posts, the media is relatively uninformed about our hobby and the state of model aviation across the US. The AMA is our world-class association that has the opportunity to call these media outlets and inform them on the state of model aviation and its historical safety record. Believe it or not, most of the media are looking for people/organizations to bring enightenment to major news stories they are reporting about. I really believe that the AMA will miss a large opportunity to tell the model aviation story if they simply sit on the sidelines of this story...particularly if it goes beyond being reported for more than a day or two and then disappears.
I agree,AMA should take this sad event and turn it into an opportunity to promote want we all do and enjoy.I'm going to stop here for now because I'm to mad and need time to think if this event will have an impact on us.What next c4 golf balls ?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:14 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: tevans55

to
Ken-
Are you kidding? This is the perfect PR opportunity for the AMA to contact the news agencies as the "world-class association of modelers organized for the purpose of promotion, development, education, advancement, and SAFEGUARDING of modeling activities". Emphasis added on purpose.

As pointed out in several posts, the media is relatively uninformed about our hobby and the state of model aviation across the US. The AMA is our world-class association that has the opportunity to call these media outlets and inform them on the state of model aviation and its historical safety record. Believe it or not, most of the media are looking for people/organizations to bring enlightenment to major news stories they are reporting about. I really believe that the AMA will miss a large opportunity to tell the model aviation story if they simply sit on the sidelines of this story...particularly if it goes beyond being reported for more than a day or two and then disappears.
Tevans,
No I'm not kidding. At the time that I moved the thread it had nothing to do with the AMA. Technically everything involving RC Airplanes is relevant to the AMA, but we don't allow just any discussion in the AMA forum about the hobby. Threads need to apply directly to the AMA, or how they are involved in a situation. At the time the thread had nothing to do with AMA. Later on a thread was posted that included a communication with an AMA rep concerning this situation. In that case the thread then involves the AMA and the thread was left in place.

Also, there was second reason why the thread was moved to The Clubhouse. Exposure. This is an incident that could impact the entire hobby and it does impact everybody in the hobby. Because of this I wanted the thread to be in a forum that has more traffic, meaning more eyeballs seeing the thread. There are many many members here on RCU that won't go anywhere near the AMA forum, and therefore they wouldn't see this thread. It's RCU's policy to not allow multiple threads discussing the same issue, even if they are in different forums. Therefore I choose to move the thread were it could have the most impact for the members of RCU.

Ken

Old 09-28-2011, 07:16 PM
gmeyer-RCU

I wonder what Rachael Maddow will say
Old 09-28-2011, 07:16 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

I am 110% serious when I say that I am more afraid of Janet N. and the DHS, the TSA, the other alphabet beuracrats and progressives in power than any terrorist groups out there.

The sky is not falling, and as americans we must resist the urge to give up more of our freedom and liberty in responce to these bogus "threats".
Old 09-28-2011, 07:26 PM
dreadnaut

Really? How much damage could the guy do, even if it was loaded with C4? Where would he take off from? How much range would he have fully loaded? What it the payload capacity of an R/C turbine phantom jet? Do the so called journalists at Fox even know how to ask questions?

Epic Fail.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Warbirdguy

I agree with rcdude. I havnt even seen the news yet about it, but from just what everyone is quoting, the media is, as usual, making more out of it than it is. After they get their FACTS straight, and see what idiots they are, the story will just fade away in a week or two and never be heard from again. On to the next breaking news story.

WBG
Old 09-28-2011, 07:33 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This plan was viable and could have taken place if it were not for the lack of intelligence of the accused. I believe this story is based on some truth but do you really mail order machine guns and grenades. As for the aviation asset that is doable. I flew and constructed aerial target for the military. Our targets when flown beyond the line of sight were piloted using off the shelf binoculars rated 20 magnification. With the binos we could safley fly at a distance of three miles from the launch point. Have you not forgotten an episode on "24" where the terriorist used remote controlled drones in an attempt to destroy LosAngeles with nuclear weapons. This is not beyond the capability of off the self components used in an RC model aircraft. We accquired a custom GPS/autopilot unit coupled to a lap top PC that enabled us to stay aloft and fly a course using mapping technology. In addition it also enabled us using satellite interface two launch up to three targets and control all three using the lap top. We demonstrated this technology to the powers to be but they never called on us to use it in the field. Bottom line is that the average modeler can do what the military is doing if he has the dollars. If and when this does happen kiss our hobby good by.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Mustang1971
My Feedback: (30)

Hey, Geniuses who keep making statements like "totally feasible" and "I can't believe this hasn't been done before" haven't you ever heard the Kenny Rogers song......"You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold em...." JEEZ, use some common sense, don't you enjoy this hobby?!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:45 PM
flycatch

Technology that can be purchased right now from several companies that cater to the UAV community is available to the general public. So what's is your point other than to critize me. I stand behind my statement, if and when this does happen kiss our hobby good bye. You want proof of my claim than contact "Griffon Aerospace" in Hunstville, Alabama. They are the military provider for aerial targets and they also have drones that do exactly what I have described. They use off the shelf and modified RC transmitters to fly there sorties. No classified technology is employed and the equipment does not meet military specifications.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:33 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The parking lot of the pentagon is so big you could take of a turbin from it easily..Then you fly into the building near a window.. How much damage? Maybe not a lot but it could kill someone or two.. or more. C-4 aint fire crackers ya know.

The threat is serious enough for the FBI to be involved with this guy since March of this year. Besides he also bought some AK-47's etc.. when learned ? people say.. "what??? fly a plane into the WTC.. you gotta be kidding!".. ya.. right!
Old 09-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: gmeyer-RCU

I wonder what Rachael Maddow will say

Probably that a nutcase Islamic extremist was set up by the FBI and arrested as a result of good police work. The FBI lent this guy the money for the planes, sold him the C4 and then arrested him after he shared his plans with them on a USB drive. It was a sting operation. They did not just stumble upon him. He had been under watch for his views as posted on various blogs and his proclivity to brag about hacking cell phones to be used as triggers.

The investigation also involved a cooperating witness, and authorities began recording conversations between that witness and Ferdaus in January, authorities said.

Ferdaus began planning a violent "jihad" against America in early 2010, authorities said, and he began supplying the FBI undercover agents with cell phones rigged to act as electric switches for improved explosive devices, intended to be used to kill U.S. soldiers overseas.

Undercover federal agents also gave Ferdaus 25 pounds of fake C-4 explosives. Only a very small amount of it was the real thing, the source said.

The FBI agents also gave Ferdaus six AK-47 assault rifles and three grenades, but they weren't functional, the source said.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/28/us/mas...html?hpt=hp_t1
Old 09-28-2011, 11:14 PM
flycatch

Thanks for the update but why publicly reveal all the details. I believe there is a lot more to the story. The person behind the plot was well educated and yet he was drawn into this trap. I persoannly am skeptical of anything the news media reports as news.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:22 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my local news, here in Florida, a picture of a very nice Black Bunny F-4 Phantom (ducted fan, or turbine?) was shown to be one of the planes he was trying to use in his plot.
I got first dibs on that jet when it is released.

On another point, this guys' plan was severely flawed. Cyclonite (C4) will not explode upon impact. It is a very stable compound. Cyclonite needs a detonator, which this guy didn't know.

I doubt very much that this lunatic would be able to fly a plane through a window while he is half a mile away, and after it crashed, be able to activate a detonator. Totally ridiculous.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:56 AM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Hey, does this mean that "Camel Driver's" RC stuff will now show up in a government auction for seized personal property? Man I'd like to bid on it as I've always wanted an "F-14 Phantom"! The Sabre would be neat too!

Happy Flying!

Loopman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.