Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 07:40 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
I was 36 when my appendix ruptured .The doctor that took care of me told me if it had happened 4 weeks sooner I would have died. The FDA had just approved the drug that saved me and it was the first time he had used it. So some times life is so much better now than it was then and it dosen't have to be that long ago.
I was a little luckier. I made 3 trips to the ER and a trip to a Saturday clinic at my doctor's office over a 3 week period before the determined my appendix was hot. They caught just before the rupture. The taletell sign on the last trip to my doctor's clinic was my blood pressure sitting ast 150/141. He said I didn't have to worry aboutwhether or not I had any aneurysms.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 02-05-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:44 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Hey! you guys are scareing me with all this bursting appendix talk. It is amazing how some doctors miss diagnose, we were very fortunate to have a doctor that was right on the beam and caught my daughters appendix long before she became critical.

Mortyspalls ......entry 5566, what is a gull wing snoop?????? (Has anyone built one of the 96 in Snoop Old Timers?) are you sure you are in the right thread?

My motorhome has a whole lot of new cpvc pipes and connectors, there wase leaks everywhere, some so small it took several seconds of pressure to show. I did my last test (I hope) yesterday. I will be a lot more careful and be sure to drain the water system when the weather freezes in the future..................................now this blinking computer is running slow and dropping offline, Very irritating.

Oh yea I am more into the next generation star trek and a avid klingon fan, I love their no nonsense direct attitude.

Last edited by donnyman; 02-05-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:07 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

My ringtone is TOS Trek.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:00 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

There is a gull wing model called a Spook. Is that what he meant? Was it a typo?
Old 02-06-2018, 08:29 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

According to the website of RCM&E, Britain's leading model aircraft magazine, Solarfilm are to cease prodcing model aeroplane coverings later in the month. This company was amongst the first to offer heat sensitive film covering materials. C'est la vie.

Solarfilm | Model Flying
Old 02-06-2018, 08:44 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

In the some distant past I used Solarfilm. It was good covering material. I think the decline in the model building (most now fly ARF's) and competition from foreign sources have made it unprofitable. I haven't seen it for some while in US hobbby stores.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'm sorry to hear that I was looking at buying some Microlite next month.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:35 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I prefer to use Oracover, a German product but I believe that a few years ago Solarfilm improved the product to resemble that of Oracover in that the glue was not part of the colour pigment which would stick to the airframe when you stripped the old covering off! I'll miss Solartex mind. Good job I've quite a bit in stock.

We have three inches of snow here (75mm) and more forecast to fall so it looks like a good night for recovering the old Junior 60 with Solartex!
Old 02-06-2018, 10:07 AM
FlyerInOKC

I think back in the day (1970s) Solarfilm was the first one I tried. They all I ever saw in the hobby shops after that was Monokote or Ultracote (Oracote's US name). My DR.1 is getting Solartex and the 182 gets fiberglass and paint. I have a couple of electrics I wanted to put a light weight film on. And I have a couple of larger glow powered planes getting AeroFoil a lighter thinner FliteMetal alternative.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:48 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I think back in the day (1970s) Solarfilm was the first one I tried. They all I ever saw in the hobby shops after that was Monokote or Ultracote (Oracote's US name). My DR.1 is getting Solartex and the 182 gets fiberglass and paint. I have a couple of electrics I wanted to put a light weight film on. And I have a couple of larger glow powered planes getting AeroFoil a lighter thinner FliteMetal alternative.
I am not sure if i ever used solarfilms but have a box full of plastic covering materials from various makers, right now i am using flight metal on my mustang but need more and was wondering about aerofoil. have you
ever used it?
flightmetal is solid but better than mommas kitchen foil.

I am not very proficient in it's use and have to struggle to prevent wrinkles, but I have seen some fantastic finishes on others planes. practiceing with this stuff is costly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cm .JPG
Views:	86
Size:	4.01 MB
ID:	2253740  
Old 02-06-2018, 12:53 PM
FlyerInOKC

There is a leaning curve on all covering products. AeroFoil is.0012 thick and sold by the foot in either a 12" width ($2.50 per foot) or a 6" width ($1.50 per foot) so you buy just want you need. You can call Dean the owner his number is listed under ordering information. Here is a link to the website:

Aero Accessories Ltd - Building Accessories
Old 02-06-2018, 01:02 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just watched the Space X launch fun fun fun.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:05 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Last Friday a friend called Ruth Clear was helping me to install extra insulation in the loft. Over lunch it started to snow. I said that if the snow settled cars would be ploughing through my hedge because the road takes the form of a downward bend on the other side of the hedge. Ruth said that that could not have happened recently because the hedge was in very good condition.

This morning, I had just made myself a cup of tea for my elevensies. I put the mug onto the table in the living room and went into the kitchen. When I returned I found a maroon Opel Vectra sitting on top of my hedge! I should have taken a photograph of it! In the end I managed to pull it free with the van and the driver went on his way rejoicing.

Here's a picture of the aftermath but my van is stuck now! Not to worry though, I've plenty of home-grown potatoes, beer and wine, and half a dead sheep in the freezer so I'm not going to starve, neither was I planning on going any where soon. I had the oil tank topped up last week too!

Must get on with covering that Junior 60!

Name:	Hedge modified by an Opel Vectra.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	2253811  
Old 02-07-2018, 06:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

So after the Vectra got through remodeling your hedge what did he pay you for it?
Old 02-07-2018, 07:04 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

He said he'd come back and see me after the snow has gone away!
Old 02-07-2018, 10:48 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Time for a concrete wall to protect the hedge.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:12 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

It's been an interesting couple of days being snowed in. Neither of the incidents below is about models but at least one is about flying, aerial combat at that!

Yesterday I was gazing out of the window at about 17.30, it was still light but dusk was falling, when I saw an owl flying over the field opposite my house. I had never seen an owl flying in daylight before. A buzzard rose to scare it off. Now the buzzard was much larger and faster than the owl but the owl could turn more quickly and climb better, so each time the buzzard tried to attack, the owl would flap its wings and climb out of range. After about five minutes, two of the buzzard's mates turned up. One dived down to try to attack the owl but the owl simply flapped its wings and soared higher still. The other buzzard climbed above the owl and dived on it. It was travelling at quite some speed when it seemed to get very close to the owl, but again the owl simply swerved and climbed out of range. By now the owl was at quite some altitude and the buzzards appeared to be too tired to chase it. The owl then flew away. I expect that the owl was hungry, that's why it was out so early and that the buzzards were protecting their territory. In that respect, they succeeded. Perhaps prey is less plentiful in the snow, though it would show up on the surface rather better. I expect that the owl came back at night!

This morning, while I was pinning the architrave to the kitchen window I saw a ewe in my coppice obviously in labour. About half an hour later she had given birth to a lamb. It must have been a cold introduction to the world for it and it took quite some time before it got onto its feet but four or five hours later it seemed pretty healthy.

Name:	Lamb (3).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	2253908  
Old 02-08-2018, 01:09 PM
FlyerInOKC

Hmm... Lamb chops on the hoof!
Old 02-08-2018, 10:09 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Not for several months.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:18 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Not for several months.
I was thinking of a summer barbecue.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:19 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I was thinking of a summer barbecue.
Count me in!
Old 02-13-2018, 09:27 AM
donnyman

Hi guys!
I have been actually working in my shop, the weather sucks here bounceing all over the place. Cold, windy, wet, cloudy enough to make one feel like staying in bed all day
But I have been able to make some progress on the Mustang, and surprised myself using mommas kitchen foil instead of flight metal. it sure is cheaper to use but more time consuming to install due to the lack of made on adhesive.
comparing the finishes achieved, kitchen foil is here to stay though I am concerned what the adhesive will do over time. (3M77) the drying time after spraying on the 3M77 does not seem critical and when left to dry until the tackiness is gone helps when pressing the foil down, I am still testing this method, I used it in a compound curved area and it came out fairly well so much so I am considering the replacement of some areas prevoiusly covered. if you are interested I'll post a pic or two.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:24 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Donny, I agree this Texas weather really sucks. I've been running my wood stove around the clock last few days. Been spending time in the shop building my Kaos. I've been able to make good progress. I need to finish this build to the bones then work on farm projects. I spent some time today, in the cold, cleaning the stump jumper and shaft area of my brush hog mower. I need to remove the gearbox and superstructure and weld in a new top plate cover. Fun fun. My grass is really green and I'll be mowing soon. I have the only green pastures in the area. Lol.

Regarding your foil covering job. Test this technique out and see if it works. Paint a thin layer of wood glue, Titebond for me, on the foil and a thin layer on the airplane. Let it dry. Then iron on the foil. The heat will activate the glue and it will adhere. I use this technique gluing balsa in certain situations. Test the foil with scrap balsa and see if it may work for you. The good thing using this technique is you can position your foil for the best fit then hit it with the iron. Hope it helps. Do post pictures. Pictures are good.

It is cold and misty here. Going back to the shop for some Kaos work.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

The only problem I see is fuel may affect the adhesive. You may wish to test that.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:43 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The better answer is the alu. foil tape used by refrigeration guy the joint fiber ductwork. You can buy it at any home improvement store of from Mac-Master/Carr. Years ago I bought a roll 40 yds around 10.$. It goes down very easy and has lasted so far 9 yrs. This is my 1/4 scale Sopwith Pup. You can use your rotary tool to make the sworles

Name:	WBOT-12-68.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	2254499   Click image for larger version

Name:	sp--135xo.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	2254500  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.