Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 08:01 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Good video!
Old 04-16-2020, 08:03 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

At least you got to see it.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:16 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
Yeah, it posted in the email, but not here,

htt://www.facebook.com/100002151243227/videos/3005258472889165/UzpfSTUwMjMzMDY2OToyNjU0ODE4NDI4MDk1MjE4/
Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
At least you got to see it.
Yes I did it was acdii's link that work after I added the "p" back in after the "htt".
Old 04-16-2020, 08:30 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

acdii did a slick trick so we could get it, thanks acdii. Those video download plug-ins, in Firefox they come under "Extensions". Quality and ability vary. It puts an icon up in the browser task bar area. One clicks on it, then follow directions to save video to disk. One that seems to work best for me is https://fbvideodownloader.chromecrxstore.com/ .

The Russian flier is truly skilful, as Telemaster alluded to. Of course there they have something we don't have, calm air. Rarely do we have calm. A 15+ mph breeze and above is the norm. Thus, small stuff like the half-A's don't do too well.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:56 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

The forum software posts it as a hyperlink even when you remove the hyperlink, so had to pull the ps out for it to show. That is some weird crap it does with FB links.

Which reminds me, do you guys see my FB link for the B-17 in my sig?
Old 04-16-2020, 10:53 AM
GallopingGhostler

Preview would show the links, but when I posted, they were totally gone from the body of the message. Why they show in your sig. may be because it doesn't screen that.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:01 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

acdii

what is it you can't resist in post 8070? What are you trying to say and why do you persist?
Old 04-16-2020, 11:25 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by donnyman
acdii, what is it you can't resist in post 8070? What are you trying to say and why do you persist?
I could be wrong, but what I saw was in reference to people who build ARF's and think they are constructing aircraft. It is the little girl talking to the former prez in the photo.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:54 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

acdii

what is it you can't resist in post 8070? What are you trying to say and why do you persist?
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
I could be wrong, but what I saw was in reference to people who build ARF's and think they are constructing aircraft. It is the little girl talking to the former prez in the photo.
Exactly. Whenever someone posts a comment in the balsa builders about assembling an ARF, I put that meme in.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:08 PM
FlyerInOKC

Very appropriate! On a side note I wonder what will go thru that little girl's mind when she grows up and realized she met a president?
Old 04-16-2020, 03:05 PM
donnyman

GG
I can plainly see what is in the picture! I do not need a explanation. Obviously you have not noticed what I have in the past!

acdii
The subject matter you inevitably use has double meanings, and you seem to have a negative attitude toward certain people, I will not say more, but I now know!
Old 04-16-2020, 04:33 PM
GallopingGhostler

GG, I can plainly see what is in the picture! I do not need a explanation. Obviously you have not noticed what I have in the past!
¿Por qué? Huh?

acdii, The subject matter you inevitably use has double meanings, and you seem to have a negative attitude toward certain people, I will not say more, but I now know!
Me thinketh thou hast been too long under lockdown.

Creo ahora es el tiempo para mí al trabajo en otras cosas. I think now is the time for me to work on other things.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:20 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
¿Por qué? Huh?

Me thinketh thou hast been too long under lockdown.

Creo ahora es el tiempo para mí al trabajo en otras cosas. I think now is the time for me to work on other things.
My original response was not addressed to you! I knew you would not understand, what you say here proves it. I feel you mean no harm and speak in jest, but you do not know of what you speak. I would ask you "please" do not make further comments in this matter.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:09 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Easy boys.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

I think we are all going a little stir crazy. Here watch this I guarantee it will chill you out! The music is great and the building is magnificent. I rate it right up there with a Saito 50 Anniversary Special or 5 cylinder radial.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:28 AM
donnyman

Thanks I enjoyed that! a beautiful voice, in a awesome setting!

Last edited by donnyman; 04-17-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

Thanks I enjoyed that! a beautiful voice, in a awesome setting!
Puts thing into a better prospective doesn't it?
Old 04-17-2020, 11:05 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Apologies to regular correspondents on this thread but I thought I'd share this with you. Regular subscribers may skip the first three paragraphs.

My Uncle Geoff, who married one of my mother's four sisters, taught me how to build model aeroplanes in 1959 when I was eleven years old. He was to die of cancer within two or three years. He was thiry-six IIRC. Before he died he gave me all of his models. These included a Tomboy, a popular 36" wingspan free flight model and the fuselage of a double sized Tomboy. Geoff was a draftsman and had drawn up the plan himself. Spool on several decades past my sex'n'drugs'n'rock'n'roll years and I built the rest of the model and installed a radio, picture below, taken over thirty years ago. I finished it in the same colours as his original little Tomboy. Precisely what happened to the little Tomboy I can't recall but I remember that it once landed on the local golf course! Geoff's fuselage soon started to disintegrate so I built a second using cyano for all of the joints. I was a very inexperienced pilot in those days and somehow got the model into a spiral dive. When it hit the ground I was left with a big yellow bag of balsa sticks which went into the wood burner! I built a third fuselage, landed the model in a tree and broke its back. I had ro hire a rock climber to retrieve it. I said that I was inexperienced in those days didn't I! I have kept the wing and tail for over twenty years in a long cardboard box which I brought over from England when I retired to France together with other "refurb projects!"

When I lived in England I used to like going to the October Festival vintage model fly-in at Cocklebarrow Farm on the Gloucestershire-Oxfordshire border. Here's a video of it with Your Humble Servant carrying his Super Scorpion up the slope at about 2.50. I had called a landing at least three times but no-one had taken any notice. It had run out of fuel and landed out of sight. Fortunately the only damage was a broken wooden prop. I plan to go to this year's season ending event on 27th September Covid 19 permitting. I'm informed that flightline discipline is much better today with only six pilots allowed in the air at any one time.

In January 2019 I chanced upon a lady in the English library at Dun Le Palestel, Patricia Martin, aka Miss Blue Eyes or Trish and since then we've become very close. She had to return to England because her daughter has multiple sclerosis and a two-year old boy to look after. We speak every night on Messenger. As Trish now lives in Somerset which is only 93 miles from Cocklebarrow I thought that it would be a good idea to combine going to the event and celebrating her birthday in October.

I plan to take the Big Guff with me, provided I have flown it beforehand but I felt that I would need to take more than one model to the meeting.

I have a Chris Olsen Uproar which needs a new wing. The Uproar is an early aerobatic design which I have always admired and which finished runner up in the 1959 European Championships. As the Uproar has ailerons it would be handy if it was windy, but I have decided to build a fuselage, (the fourth!) for the big Tomboy first. In the picture it is fitted with a PAW 19 diesel which barely flew it. I replaced it with a Merco 35 which was a much better match. I have five assorted OS fourstrokes ranging from a 40 to a 52 and any of those would power it adequately but I also have a couple of HP VT 49s. These are collectable but they are also very heavy, an advantage in a model with such a short nose. I haven't quite made up my mind which one to use.

As for the Uproar I have the opposite problem with that. The nose is long and it is easy to end up with a model which is nose heavy. The Uproar features a removeable hatch between the firewall and the wing seat, ideal for electric power! Then again a model called Uproar should perhaps have an i/c engine in the nose!

Wish me luck!

My much younger self with the double sized Tomboy. Plans drawn up by my late Uncle Geoff.

Chris Olsen's Uproar.

Geoff's much used and photocopied plan.

The fuselage sides await seperation by the bread knife!

Old 04-18-2020, 06:59 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Puts thing into a better prospective doesn't it?
It's nice but it does not soothe the pain in my heart. It has been wounded too many times and is sensitive.

I have got to get into my shop the King Kobra on my bench should have been finished months ago. I have too many diversions, like, considering the purchase of a 3d printer. I want to make my own scale details it is cheaper with the printer than purchasing what I want especially since the printer is cheaper than the scale parts I want. and that spitfire is still in my motorhome.

I have a set of landing gear I need to mail out as soon as I get copies of the parts list, I have not forgotten.

Last edited by donnyman; 04-18-2020 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:58 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I think we are all going a little stir crazy. Here watch this I guarantee it will chill you out! The music is great and the building is magnificent. I rate it right up there with a Saito 50 Anniversary Special or 5 cylinder radial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huTUOek4LgU
Nice, "was blind but now I see" was this gifted blind singer's final words from Amazing Grace to end the video. It was a bit eerie to see zero traffic and people in all these large cities where filmed from a drone. Some I could understand during wee hours of the morning, but certainly not New York City, which even through the wee hours has traffic.

When I was 11 YO, I started building stick and tissue rubber powered aircraft, built at least a half dozen by the time I was 12. These Comet 3100 series kits at $0.69 each from Cornet variety store in Biloxi MS I built were 16" Ryan cabin, 12" WW1 Spad, 12" WW1 Fokker DVII, 15" Porterfield, 16" Curtiss Robin, 16" Bellanca Junior. I also built Comet 18" P-51B turtle deck, 32" Ed Lidgard's Sparky (my largest airplane at the time, covered in famous Comet black tissue that seemed prevalent in at least 1/3rd of the kits - tissue wasn't the higher quality Esaki but more like shoe box tissue packing, I later recovered it in orange and blue Esaki), Scientific 18" Cessna 180.

In high school I built rubber powered's: Guillow 20" DeHavilland Chipmunk, 20" North American Trojan, 16" Grumman F6F Hellcat. Then in college I built Guillow 18" Fokker DVIII and 24" Stinson Reliant.

Here's also something of beauty in flight, something not seen much of today and of a little modelled aircraft. It is a short video of a rubber-powered build and flight of a 48" Vickers Nene transport jet, location Wawayanda, NY. I gather without any further research that the aircraft appears to be probably equivalent to our Boeing 727.

The framing is ultra light and obviously from a master builder. Look at the fuselage formers, very delicate. To cram enough rubber winds into those 14" long nacelles was amazing for such a long flight. None of my rubber powereds ever made flight that high or long.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:36 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

The basic structure of the fuselage of my uncle's Big Tomboy is complete. It is extremely light. Given the lightness of weight I am thinking of fitting an electric motor, that way the structure will not have to put up with the starter motor torque or the vibration of of an i/c engine. I will have a look at my LiPos and review the situation.

The 1/8" (3mm) sheeting from my scrap box was originally from a Keil Kraft Slicker 50 kit which I'd picked up for next to nothing. Old competition free flight models are not my cup of tea but having built the fuselage, wing and tailplane I gave it or sold it with the plan to an old boy who lived in Exmouth, Devon, England. He finished the model, put a radio into it and flew it.

2xTomboy fuselage. Metre rule lends scale.

Originally from a Keil Kraft kit, retrieved from scrap box.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

IS that what a scrap box is for?
Old 04-22-2020, 06:07 AM
GallopingGhostler

+1, Telemaster, that is a good way to recycle old unused printed balsa stock. Back in the mid 1960's, Comet rubber powered kits were very cheap, but a number of them did not have die cut parts, only printed. One was 32" Ed Lidgard's Sparky. As an 11 YO, I learned to extract used razor blades from my dad's single and double blade razor dispensers, and break the double blade Gillete in half with needle nose pliers, so I now had 2 usable razor blades. I think it was Comet instructions on how to tissue cover described this, where I learned.

I even brought a couple times to 5th grade, a cigar box with balsa sheets and razor blades, that I'd cut out on my desk during recess and lunch. Teacher never said anything, I guess considered it healthy constructive activity. I could start up my control line planes in the nearby public playground, without adult supervision or attendance. How far would a child be able to get these days, without possibly inheriting an incriminating record for both child and parent?
The following users liked this post:
Flicker (04-29-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 07:56 AM
FlyerInOKC

I think of Comet as my gateway drug to C/L flying which became my gateway drug to my R/C addiction!
Old 04-22-2020, 05:29 PM
donnyman

Telemaster
I have been looking at that stick built fuse and think of how long it took me to learn how to put one together like that. Nice work. cutting one out was like major surgery for me, Literally! the use of double edge razor blades played havoc with my fingers, until like G.G. I learned to break them in halves and angles. Success came when my dad had the time to show me how to properly slice the wood instead of pushing the blade straight through.

The building process once learned was something that put a lot of smiles on my chops but I still can't touch what the the guy did in post 8095 even today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.