Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 09:07 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Here is a photo taken from the kitchen window of one of the debris pile the second pile is just as high and about 1/3 the length. This one starts at my driveway and goes over to the neighbor's driveway. Yes, its all from just my two trees. Only damage I can find to the house is the front gutter is dented pretty bad in about 4 places. I got lucky!

Old 11-03-2020, 11:48 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

we had that same storm down here in Wichita Falls TX and some of the limbs fell of my pecan tree in the backyard! we had talk to someone who was going to cut it down for us but they backed out because they would cut the big limbs down over the back off my house! yikes. today its 70 F +. This is my favorite time in Texas!
Old 11-03-2020, 01:20 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

The last time I saw weather like that I was in Long Island N.Y. to bury my mother which I could not do because the ice storm that hit was cutting our flesh. I had to leave the casket in a gazebo then barely made it back to the house. the next day the ground was covered with snow covered ice. it took over two hours to clear the drive at my friends house and could only open one door because the rest were frozen shut. the shocking part was the number of bodies covered with yellow tarps that died in car accidents left on the streets by the police, several police cars did not do much better. At least you guys only suffered tree damage (thank heaven)

I trust everyone voted! we are getting ready to watch the election returns................. and Praying for the best!
Old 11-03-2020, 03:29 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Sorry to hear about the computer problems and the cold! If it makes you feel better I have had no power from the electrical utility since Monday last due to a record breaking ice storm (I own a generator to keep the essentials going).I got my phone and internet back yesterday. Some of the damage if you care to see: My son from Kansas owns the white Tahoe he came down Tuesday night and stopped at Lowe's in Wichita to pick up two 20" chainsaws because they were sold out here. He and his brother and our unofficial adopted son had to clear the drive to park. Several surrounding streets were completely blocked. Power won't be back on until this Friday.
On October 25-26, 1997 we had 13" of wet, heavy snow fall here in Lincoln, Ne. The trees still had most of their leaves on them, and that snow just packed onto those trees like you wouldn't believe! There are some good pictures here: OCT97SNOW
It looked like a war zone around here! Fortunately, I owned a good chainsaw, and it got quite a workout!
So I know what you mean about snow and ice coating trees that still have their leaves. Not a good scenario! Hopefully you get your power back quickly!
Old 11-03-2020, 05:54 PM
FlyerInOKC

What a mess! 1997 wasn't the year to visit Lincoln in October! Reminds me of the original 1970 movie "Airport" with Burt Lancaster and Dean Martin. The airport was in Lincoln, NE.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:11 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

What a mess! 1997 wasn't the year to visit Lincoln in October! Reminds me of the original 1970 movie "Airport" with Burt Lancaster and Dean Martin. The airport was in Lincoln, NE.
I did not know that about that movie. Of course it's been many years since I saw it. Way back in history, from 1954 to 1966, the Lincoln Air Force Base was an important bomber base. One of the pilots who flew bombers from that base would go on to fame and fortune as Boxcar Willie. And now YOU know... the rest of the story.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:22 PM
FlyerInOKC

I see Willie was a crew chief on a B-29, my father in-law built those in Washington state during the war, he was deaf in one ear and no branch of the US or Canadian forces would take him. My father flew as a relief gunner in fire control in the Pacific Theater.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:34 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a photo taken from the kitchen window of one of the debris pile the second pile is just as high and about 1/3 the length. This one starts at my driveway and goes over to the neighbor's driveway. Yes, its all from just my two trees. Only damage I can find to the house is the front gutter is dented pretty bad in about 4 places. I got lucky!
I just got done last night cleaning and repairing all the damage from those storms last week. Huge limbs took our the service line to my garage and ripped the pole and breaker box right off the wall. Had the electrician in yesterday to replace the service. I will take 10 feet of snow over these ice storms anyday.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

I prefer snow to ice too!
Old 11-05-2020, 12:12 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I prefer 65 to 80
The following users liked this post:
warningshot (11-08-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 11:44 PM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
I prefer 65 to 80
Is that the temperature in Fahrenheit, your age or 1965 as opposed to 1980?

Old 11-06-2020, 07:05 AM
acdii

Temp

'Merica!

Land of the cheats
Old 11-06-2020, 05:39 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Well I’ve been down in Florida. I flew down on Delta and came back by U-Haul Truck. It was miserable hot hot hot down there and no vacation. We are selling the house and moving things to Texas. I left Florida on Tuesday AM in a loaded U-Haul truck. Today I finished the unloading and turned in the truck. It was a solo unload with the help of my tractor with front end loader and forks. Plus wood pallet and a sheet of plywood for a deck.

I’ve been so worn out I couldn’t do things right, at times. I tried turning off my TV with my phone and couldn’t figure out why it would not turn off. Today I looked for my truck keys and couldn’t find them. I went nuts looking for the keys. The lock on the U-Haul was on that key ring. Turns out I looked at the key ring right where I had placed them. I just thought they were a different key ring. Resting this weekend. Enjoying the cool weather. Soon it will be cold enough to fire up the wood burning stove. Enjoy that warmth.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:46 AM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

On the Sunday closest to the 11th November ceremonies are usually held throughout Great Britain to commemorate the dead of two world wars and subsequent conflicts. This year the commemoration will be a much more muted affair owing to the coronavirus. I may stroll down to the local war memorial at 11.00 if Miss Blue Eye's is aggreable. She's mucking out her horse as I write this.

The construction of the Super 60 continues. I will post a picture as soon as I've reached ten posts in my new persona.

Stay safe gentlemen.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:26 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

ETpilot
you hit on the reason I think we have been so slow to find someplace else to live, We know that it will wear us out to get rid of and move all this junk we have accumulated over the years.

Not being able to control the TV with the telephone is almost a daily occurrence here, not due to being tired but old and sleepy, we kinda zonk out between 9 and 10 in the evening and our brains go into limp mode so confusion sets in, and having three remotes and a phone doesn't help.

After four months of repairs on my motorhome we hope to have it back at the house Monday, we need it to go to Arkansas. After all the hubbub of politics and medical problems we are exhausted and need a diversion. I have been considering getting back into the shop and finish building my big bird. and I have decided (I think) to place many of the kits and planes in my shop up for sale, there is just too much stuff setting around unused and I will not live long enough to deal with it all, so I may as well build a cash nest egg for my offspring, I got a lot of stuff.

Last edited by donnyman; 11-08-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:29 AM
FlyerInOKC

Starting to zonk out at 9:00 pm I can relate! If the power company ever gets the power back on (it will be two weeks tomorrow) I'll get my current project done. Considering the recent health issues I probably won't have the time to build all that I got but I'm still saving for a SIG Ryan STA kit anyway. My generator a year and tweo days before this power outage, the wife was starting to think I wasted the money on it. She doesn't feel that way anymore! I added a thru the wall pass thru in the den last year and as soon as we get power I am going to add one in the kitchen and then two homemade single outlet pass thru in the garage and master bedroom. That way I can cut out all the extension cords running between rooms. The garage and master bedroom will have the clear cover with a 20 AMP male outlets (1 in 15 amp and one 20 amp configuration) allowing me to use standard extension ctrds.

Old 11-08-2020, 12:16 PM
acdii

I put a generator outlet on the wall and back feed the main panel. I need to make it legal though so bought a Geninterlok to go on my main panel and need to get a 30 Amp breaker that fits it. You can only engage the 30 Amp when the mains are shut off, otherwise it locks the 30 amp closed. I can run most of the house on my 8500 watt genny, and it's about $20 a day in fuel, but it runs my smaller HVAC along with the lights and TV and refrigerators. I just can't run the main AC with it. In winter I can run both since only the blower runs.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:00 PM
FlyerInOKC

My problem is I can't tie into the house electrical system without bring it up to code. The panel is in the back of a closet in a bathroom, a big no, no. The cost to have a licensed electrician do it was cost prohibited.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:35 PM
acdii

Ah,, yeah, thats a problem. I need to replace my my panel again. We upsized it to 20 amp about 18 years ago, and had a water line from the softener crack. It sprayed the box with salt water and rotted out the cover, there is some rust in the cabinet itself, and all I really need os a new cover. They don't make this panel any more, which means I have to replace the entire panel, which requires a permit and a Com Ed visit to pull the meter. If I could pull the meter myself I would just do the panel and get it done. I have already replaced about a third of the wiring in the house, the garage addition had power cords for the openers and no other electric, so ran a 8 Gauge from the main all the way to the other side of the house and put a small 6 breaker sub in and ran all new conduit in the garage, then when I had the main replaced, the 100 amp was in perfect shape, no sense tossing it and all the breakers out, so put it at the other end of the house just before the garage and ran a 2-2-2 branch feeder to it, then added outlets and such to the kitchen and room addition, and have another 6 breaker tied off that in my shop. There is one other 4 breaker box that I put in that takes the 8 gauge that ran to the garage, since I split it into the 100 amp I moved and use that for the oven and water heater for the kitchen. Everything is properly sized, but there is still some bad electric to clean up i the basement. The only thing not in code is my generator back feed, and that will get resolved next spring. If I have to go on generator, the very first thing I do is disconnect the mains, then hook the generator up, there is no lockout, and that is what makes it non code.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:41 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Donny, moving is a royal pain. I have moved a lot over the years for me, family and friends. I’ve gotten very good at it but it's still a pain. Now that I’m older it is more difficult. In Florida I went by the Home Depot looking for a helper. Fortunately I found one with moving experience and that saved time loading the U-Haul truck. Stacking boxes to utilize all the space may require repositioning boxes once or twice. Then you have to balance the load in the truck. We managed to fully load the truck. My only mistake was I should have gotten the larger truck. Anyway, I have to do this trip one more time. Not fun but necessary.

A few years ago I purchased a Harbor Freight 8700 watt generator. It sure has been a good investment. Whenever I’ve had to use it it has started on the first or second pull. It has an electric start but keeping a battery in it is not too useful. I didn’t know about the electric pass thru until I read about it here. I’ve thought of making a window pass thru for my house. Most of my generator use has been short lived outages. Many years ago I had an ice storm that shut power down for a week. The generator kept us going and the firewood stove kept us warm. Summertime outages can be awful due to the heat. I have a window AC I can put in place if it is a long term outage. Since I am on well water, I run a line to the pump and monitor pressure inside the house. Then I just plug in and pump the water tank up as needed. I should probably bury a line making it easier to power the pump. Generator use only.

I wore out my old saw horses. I really needed 2 new ones. So I made these heavy duty models. I finished them up yesterday. I wanted a 2x6 top and stackable. I just need to add an outlet box to one.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:02 AM
FlyerInOKC

Great looking sawhorses!
Well guys I'm still waiting for electricity to come back on. A crew was by late last night but nothing was fixed. The generator has been running a straight 332 hours without shutting down. At 1:00PM it will be exactly 14 full days. I got what I paid for when I bought. I will need to take it in for a 300 hour service when the power comes back on. No need to pull the rope start, its for back up, this baby has electric start.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:29 AM
acdii

You fill while running? That's scary to think of.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

The unit is completely enclosed and I use a special fuel container that goes into the filler before you release the flow. It meters the flow so it doesn't overflow and you stop the flow before removal. I haven't spilled any fuel yet and there are no warm components or electrical connections it could hit if it did spill.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:04 AM
acdii

I would just be concerned about the fumes since they sink and any spark anywhere near it and BOOM.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

Around here there is always a breeze so that gets the fumes away fast. The fumes trigger my asthma so I can pretty well gauge if there are any around. Makes filling up at the gas station interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.