Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 10:13 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 150 Likes on 126 Posts

Assuming that I pass my Covid test at 09.00 this morning, and I should do, being double vaccinated and having had the booster, I will be driving back to England to visit my sister. My laptop computer is unserviceablre but it is still under warranty so I hope to have it repaired or replaced. I will be incommunicado for some time.
The following users liked this post:
Scorpionjack (01-08-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 06:40 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 274 Likes on 239 Posts

Have a good trip!
Old 01-14-2022, 12:51 PM
FlyerInOKC

I didn't know they still made these things

Spinthariscopes : United Nuclear , Scientific Equipment & Supplies
Old 01-14-2022, 02:04 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I guess when you set it off, you can use welding glasses. Remember those A.C. Gilbert chemistry kits?
Old 01-15-2022, 10:45 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Spinthariscopes ..... A.C. Gilbert chemistry sets, memories of my child hood. The first and only time I looked into a spinthariscope? (is that what it was) I was definitely not impressed especially since I did not fully understand what I was looking at but for some reason I remember it well.

Now chemistry sets was a hands on mess, I had two or three of them over a period of time and learned a bit but was never proficient in it's use and burned up every thing I was supposed to just heat up. Most of the test tubes cracked or was so clogged with goop and made useless. but I was fully engulfed by the experience and spent most of what money I had buying more test tubes and "stuff" This was at a time just before discovering model airplanes. and all the tinker toys, erector sets, and such was lost to my history files. for a short time I was involved with the development of heat seeking missles for a science project before the sidewinder became known. As my memories flash by I am amazed at the amount of stuff I have been exposed to just because of my location and people I met. Heck I lived one city block from the Brooklyn navy yard during and after the war, I could spend days just speaking of what I saw during open house there, boat Propellers bigger than a truck, and the odd smell of a submarine......................today must be my flashback day. loving it!
Flicker (03-03-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 12:09 PM
FlyerInOKC

Cool!
Old 01-15-2022, 02:08 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

So, why is it the more expensive, "brand name" stuff can't last as long as inexpensive rarely heard of stuff?

My American Standard, AKA Trane, furnace was installed in 2011. So far I have had a pressure switch go bad, had to remove and clean the burners twice this year and now the induction blower is howling and cost $335 to get a new one. Back in 2002 I installed, I did, no one else, a furnace and AC unit from Home Depot, a Winchester from Hamilton Home Products, and the only thing I have ever needed to replace was the capacitor on the main blower. On the AC condenser I had rodent issues and had to rewire and replace the relay and capacitor.

A top brand name starts crapping out parts in 10 years while a no name brand keeps chugging along for 20 years, just doesn't make sense. Sad part is that when it finally does STB, then I won't be able to replace it with a like and will be stuck with these "brand Name" brand units. I wish HD still sold DIY furnaces and AC units when our main house furnace gave up, it would be just like the smaller one, reliable.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:15 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

It's called "planned obsolescence". The big corporations figured out they could make more money by making products that only last a certain length of time, rather than ones that may last decades.
skylark-flier (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 09:33 AM
OldCrawler

Location: Hinckley Leicestershire, Moved here 18 months ago from Portsmouth.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 75 Still Playing

For me it was Balsa Wood Gliders and tissue paper glued on and shrunk tight with dope, after that came the elastic band wind up the propeller and let it go.
Then RC Cars, I don't even remember Crystals but I had a whopper of a jeep and no one wanted to race with me because a lot of it was metal.
Now I'm trying to help my grandson with his endeavours.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:14 PM
1987tcA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started in 69

I started when I was about ten. Started with sheet balsa free flight. Then built up rubber powered models mostly from Sig.
later got my first u-control model. It was a Tester's P51 plastic model with sometimes running .049.
Later built some balsa models with Cox .049 engines. Also did a 1/2a balsa ranger free flight model.
My first rc model was a small Buzzard Bombshell with Ace single channel escapement on rudder only. If I remember correctly it had an O.K. Cub .049 for power.
After that was a Mini Mombo and a little esquire.
Those were 3 channel. Then the required Ugly Stick and k&b .40 engine.
Somewhere in there was a Kadet and Falcon 56.
In 1999 I got my first electric model and fell in love.

I have done silkspan as well as silk and dope covering.
The hobby sure has changed over the years! Flown way to many types of models to name here. But I have always loved the hobby.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:36 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by 1987tcA
I started when I was about ten. Started with sheet balsa free flight. Then built up rubber powered models mostly from Sig.
later got my first u-control model. It was a Tester's P51 plastic model with sometimes running .049.
Later built some balsa models with Cox .049 engines. Also did a 1/2a balsa ranger free flight model.
My first rc model was a small Buzzard Bombshell with Ace single channel escapement on rudder only. If I remember correctly it had an O.K. Cub .049 for power.
After that was a Mini Mombo and a little esquire.
Those were 3 channel. Then the required Ugly Stick and k&b .40 engine.
Somewhere in there was a Kadet and Falcon 56.
In 1999 I got my first electric model and fell in love.

I have done silkspan as well as silk and dope covering.
The hobby sure has changed over the years! Flown way to many types of models to name here. But I have always loved the hobby.
How long have you been in Henryetta? I have been in OKC since 1974 but lived in Enid just up to road from 1964 to 1968. My Dad was born in Loyal (west of Dover), he met my Mom in Ponca City where I was born. Mom was from Sumner over by Perry.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:53 PM
1987tcA

How long have you been in Henryetta? I have been in OKC since 1974 but lived in Enid just up to road from 1964 to 1968. My Dad was born in Loyal (west of Dover), he met my Mom in Ponca City where I was born. Mom was from Sumner over by Perry.
Bought our house here about 4 years ago. Before that I was in Weleetka.

Henryetta is very hobby friendly. They have gone out of their way to make sure we have a nice place to fly. Plus a 17 acre lake for boats and float flying.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:21 PM
FlyerInOKC

Bought our house here about 4 years ago. Before that I was in Weleetka.

Henryetta is very hobby friendly. They have gone out of their way to make sure we have a nice place to fly. Plus a 17 acre lake for boats and float flying.
I remember where Weleetka is nice little town. Any hobby shops left over that way?
Old 01-20-2022, 03:28 PM
1987tcA

I remember where Weleetka is nice little town. Any hobby shops left over that way?
Closest thing to a hobby shop is hobby town in Tulsa.
Right now we order most things online. There has been talk now and then of putting a hobby shop on the edge of our flying field. But has not happened yet.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

Closest thing to a hobby shop is hobby town in Tulsa.
Right now we order most things online. There has been talk now and then of putting a hobby shop on the edge of our flying field. But has not happened yet.
Around here we have a Hobbytown in Edmond that is worthless and another one in Norman owned by a flier that carries a lot of basic stuff and is more than happy to special order. The last hobby shop I hit was in September at a shop in Wichita, KS. The owner was a really nice guy, I dropped $60 on odds and ends.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:04 PM
scottrc

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have done some flying in Tulsa at the Gluedobbers and also in Copan. I remember spending time and money at Wings n Things during my pilgrimages to Gluedobber events.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:07 PM
scottrc

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Around here we have a Hobbytown in Edmond that is worthless and another one in Norman owned by a flier that carries a lot of basic stuff and is more than happy to special order. The last hobby shop I hit was in September at a shop in Wichita, KS. The owner was a really nice guy, I dropped $60 on odds and ends.
In Wichita, was it Finnelys?

If your ever in the Joplin area, P&A Hobbies is a ran by a pure RC enthusiast who I fly with a lot.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:36 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by scottrc
In Wichita, was it Finnelys?

If your ever in the Joplin area, P&A Hobbies is a ran by a pure RC enthusiast who I fly with a lot.
I think it was Finley's.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:24 PM
1987tcA

It is roughly an hour to the closest Hobby town. They don't have much of what I want or need. So it makes more sense to order myself online and have it shipped to my house.
I actually have more balsa and other wood in my rack than they do.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:32 PM
FlyerInOKC

That is not hard!
1987tcA (01-24-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 04:43 PM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is roughly an hour to the closest Hobby town. They don't have much of what I want or need. So it makes more sense to order myself online and have it shipped to my house.
I actually have more balsa and other wood in my rack than they do.
About 20 years ago my area was down to just one "hobby shop". In reality, it was a toy store with a bit of model airplane stuff in one back corner. I was in the shopping center for some other purpose, but stopped in at the Hobby Store on the remote chance that they might have a propellor size that wanted to try on a model whose performance I was trying to improve upon.

Their entire supply of props fit into one small box, and I could see without sorting that their longest prop was not over 10" long, whereas I was looking for a 12" diameter of a particular pitch. A nice young lady came over to help me. I asked if the larger propellors were located somewhere else. She said, "No our selection is all in this box. It's a lot of propellors. Can I help you find the size you're looking for ?"

In regrettable frustration, I replied, "No thnks. I have more props at home of any given size than you have in your entire store."

Old 01-31-2022, 01:48 PM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The good news is that you can find most anything you want with a few mouse clicks and have it show up at you front door a few days later. No more running to the store to find out that they are out of stock on that one thing you need. The bad news, is that there is nowhere to run out to on Friday afternoon when you some odd bit to get you plane ready to bring to field on Saturday morning.

I do miss having a local hobby shop to poke around in and as a place to shoot the breeze with other like minded folks, but to be honest, given the all the on-line options these days the lack of a local shop hasn't limited my ability to get whatever I need.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:02 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Hello!
I have been lurking on this thread because I have little things of a positive mature to speak of. I just received a copy of model airplane news and it always leaves me a bit frustrated, The articles are mostly what others have accomplished at contest and very little other than foamies and ARF'S ETC.

I have been looking for someplace to move to and it seems to have become more difficult, The TV news channel announced home construction will increase on the square 6500 are planned with a starting price in the $200,000+ range yet they are in short supply over 1000 are under construction within a quarter mile of me now so I am not sure what my next move will be. we do not care to live in a housing community

I have been keeping myself entertained on the Outerzone free plans site just looking at the multitude of models, I want to submit a plan to the Outerzone but they are huge, 97" span (1932 bulldog race plane) making copies is expensive. see below

Meanwhile I am trying to sell off as much of my model stuff as I can and I got a bunch of stuff.

The following 2 users liked this post by donnyman:
Flicker (03-03-2022), Michelvr (02-02-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 11:25 AM
FlyerInOKC

Its good to hear from you Donny! I am sorry to hear there has been no end to your moving frustrations. I wish there was something I could do to help. Have you considered looking on this side of the Red River? We still have income tax but our real estate tax rates make up for it. The climate is similar to what you have down there. Just a thought.

Mike
Old 02-01-2022, 04:18 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Donny, that's a really nice looking model you got there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.