Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 01-07-2022, 10:13 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Assuming that I pass my Covid test at 09.00 this morning, and I should do, being double vaccinated and having had the booster, I will be driving back to England to visit my sister. My laptop computer is unserviceablre but it is still under warranty so I hope to have it repaired or replaced. I will be incommunicado for some time.
The following users liked this post:
Scorpionjack (01-08-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 06:40 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

Have a good trip!
Old 01-14-2022, 12:51 PM
FlyerInOKC

I didn't know they still made these things

Spinthariscopes : United Nuclear , Scientific Equipment & Supplies
Old 01-14-2022, 02:04 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
I guess when you set it off, you can use welding glasses. Remember those A.C. Gilbert chemistry kits?
Old 01-15-2022, 10:45 AM
donnyman

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Spinthariscopes ..... A.C. Gilbert chemistry sets, memories of my child hood. The first and only time I looked into a spinthariscope? (is that what it was) I was definitely not impressed especially since I did not fully understand what I was looking at but for some reason I remember it well.

Now chemistry sets was a hands on mess, I had two or three of them over a period of time and learned a bit but was never proficient in it's use and burned up every thing I was supposed to just heat up. Most of the test tubes cracked or was so clogged with goop and made useless. but I was fully engulfed by the experience and spent most of what money I had buying more test tubes and "stuff" This was at a time just before discovering model airplanes. and all the tinker toys, erector sets, and such was lost to my history files. for a short time I was involved with the development of heat seeking missles for a science project before the sidewinder became known. As my memories flash by I am amazed at the amount of stuff I have been exposed to just because of my location and people I met. Heck I lived one city block from the Brooklyn navy yard during and after the war, I could spend days just speaking of what I saw during open house there, boat Propellers bigger than a truck, and the odd smell of a submarine......................today must be my flashback day. loving it!
Old 01-15-2022, 12:09 PM
FlyerInOKC

Cool!
Old 01-15-2022, 02:08 PM
acdii

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

So, why is it the more expensive, "brand name" stuff can't last as long as inexpensive rarely heard of stuff?

My American Standard, AKA Trane, furnace was installed in 2011. So far I have had a pressure switch go bad, had to remove and clean the burners twice this year and now the induction blower is howling and cost $335 to get a new one. Back in 2002 I installed, I did, no one else, a furnace and AC unit from Home Depot, a Winchester from Hamilton Home Products, and the only thing I have ever needed to replace was the capacitor on the main blower. On the AC condenser I had rodent issues and had to rewire and replace the relay and capacitor.

A top brand name starts crapping out parts in 10 years while a no name brand keeps chugging along for 20 years, just doesn't make sense. Sad part is that when it finally does STB, then I won't be able to replace it with a like and will be stuck with these "brand Name" brand units. I wish HD still sold DIY furnaces and AC units when our main house furnace gave up, it would be just like the smaller one, reliable.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:15 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It's called "planned obsolescence". The big corporations figured out they could make more money by making products that only last a certain length of time, rather than ones that may last decades.
The following users liked this post:
skylark-flier (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 09:33 AM
OldCrawler

Location: Hinckley Leicestershire, Moved here 18 months ago from Portsmouth.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 75 Still Playing

For me it was Balsa Wood Gliders and tissue paper glued on and shrunk tight with dope, after that came the elastic band wind up the propeller and let it go.
Then RC Cars, I don't even remember Crystals but I had a whopper of a jeep and no one wanted to race with me because a lot of it was metal.
Now I'm trying to help my grandson with his endeavours.