Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 09:36 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by biam
David, thanks for the tutorial on radial engines. I never realized they rotated around a stationary crankshaft, learn something new everyday!
Mike, your right about the drive in reference, there’s enough videos on that site to last a week. 👍
I forgot to mention that the forces produced by the rotary engines fitted to the Sopwith Camel made the aircraft turn much more rapidly to the right then to the left. This proved to be useful in combat because no German fighter of the time could turn as quickly to the right in a dog fight. With the arrival of the Fokker Triplane, the Germans had an aeroplane which could turn as sharply as a Camel but they were slower than a Camel in level flight and in a dive.

PS. Biam, a rotary engine has a stationary crankshaft with the cylinders rotating around it. A radial engine has the crankshaft rotating inside a stationary crankcase which is bolted to the airframe.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-13-2021 at 10:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
biam (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 08:52 AM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
PS. Biam, a rotary engine has a stationary crankshaft with the cylinders rotating around it. A radial engine has the crankshaft rotating inside a stationary crankcase which is bolted to the airframe.
And then there's the Wankel, with rotating combustion chambers (three of them)...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_engine
Old 09-14-2021, 12:26 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Stikum
And then there's the Wankel, with rotating combustion chambers (three of them)...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_engine
I had the OS version 1st generation. It ran great but spit out more fuel than it burned.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:26 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

PS. Biam, a rotary engine has a stationary crankshaft with the cylinders rotating around it. A radial engine has the crankshaft rotating inside a stationary crankcase which is bolted to the airframe.[/QUOTE]

David, thanks for setting me straight!
skylark-flier (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 08:30 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

David, thanks for setting me straight![/QUOTE]

DAMN!!! Y'learn something every day!!!!!!

Cool stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2021, 12:46 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

This is for Mcgiver

I hope this helps.....................

Old 09-18-2021, 12:53 PM
donnyman

David, thanks for setting me straight![/QUOTE]

I spent a lot of time trying to convince people of those two facts, most thought I was yanking their chain. even when I showed them pictures.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:58 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
DAMN!!! Y'learn something every day!!!!!!

Cool stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

And the wankel is a fourstroker!
Old 09-18-2021, 06:06 PM
biam

Well I had high hopes of getting some flying done this weekend but no dice. Busy all the way through.Spent this afternoon cutting out a witch silhouette for wifey, she’s happy so all’s good. maybe next time when I’m home in two weeks😩.
Donny, glad to see your keeping an eye on us, any updates on possibly moving? Hope the rest of you are getting some field time.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:57 PM
FlyerInOKC

I went up to Wichita today to pick up new hearing aids and watch my grandson run cross country. Before leaving town I got the pleasure of visiting a real hobby shop and managed to drop the last $50 of my hobby stash. He had 15% Nitro fuel for $23.00 a gallon I wished I had had another $25 in the kitty! It was great being in a reall LHS after 2 years!
Old 09-18-2021, 10:39 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by donnyman

I spent a lot of time trying to convince people of those two facts, most thought I was yanking their chain. even when I showed them pictures.[/QUOTE]

Show 'em the Avro video. That'll convince them!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-18-2021 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:37 AM
biam

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I went up to Wichita today to pick up new hearing aids and watch my grandson run cross country. Before leaving town I got the pleasure of visiting a real hobby shop and managed to drop the last $50 of my hobby stash. He had 15% Nitro fuel for $23.00 a gallon I wished I had had another $25 in the kitty! It was great being in a reall LHS after 2 years!
The LHS near me don’t have anything I need anymore as he is 90% RC car stuff. Have to travel about 60 miles for balsa, covering or fuel. That shop has mainly battery quick get it in the air stuff. 😒
Old 09-19-2021, 07:14 AM
FlyerInOKC

All we got left here is Hobbytown a good 45 mins to an hour away from me, a car shop across town, and whatever Hobby Lobby carries. The Hobbytown is own by a R/C pilot so he does have some stuff available. The guy in Wichita supplements his hobby business by carrying reloading supplies.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:33 AM
donnyman

The LHS near me don’t have anything I need anymore as he is 90% RC car stuff. Have to travel about 60 miles for balsa, covering or fuel. That shop has mainly battery quick get it in the air stuff. 😒
The same here! A "real" hobby shop is a thing of the pass, for many reasons. nothing is the same anymore I was all fired up to move but the cost of a new home is prohibitive for one of my monetary status, My in-laws loss out on a new home because others had cash, and like me I will have to sell my home to be able to purchase a home with the house market as it is, If I sell where do I live until I find a new home?? many people are getting thousands more than they asked for their home, Some get hundred thousand + more. especially since the influx of so many high tech. companies moving in (60) and enlarging. the size of the building Tesla is building is HUGE, and several stories high. speculation of the future here is off the hook. Even if I get another home the question is will I be able to handle future taxes. It seems the world has gone totally nuts and the average guy gets the shaft.

I am dazzled by the advances man has made in the passed months, 3d printed rocket ships, civilians in space on a lark, rockets that return to the launch pad for re-use and costing ten times less. made by a company just down the street from me. electric cars that drive themselves. The technology is scary especially since they showed parts of people being made by a 3d printer. Remember ------ what is shown you is years behind what is actually being accomplished. (I found that out first hand.)
Old 09-19-2021, 01:53 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Just got back from the SIG Flyin, Was fun again, the new owners really stepped it up to what it used to be in the past. So here I am, brought a trailer full of planes, T-Clips, Something Xtra, Liberty Sport, Chipmunk, 2 P-51's and my good old LT-40. Out of ALL those planes, only one flew. The Chipmunk needs the tank relocated, it pours fuel out when the nose is tipped down, so it didn't fly. The Something Xtra needs the engine worked on, it runs terribly, and needs a new switch. The Liberty Sport has the YS 62 on it and I have yet to bench test it since it was installed. Ran great on the bench, but is now inverted, so may not run at all, and I put a lot of work into it, so want to make sure the engine is 100%. The T-clips I have a Saito 62 in it, and couldn't get it running. One of the P-51 I don't fly because I have not had enough stick time the past two years and it's a finicky beast, the other one has never been flown, so I took it out and got it all ready to fly, installed a new battery, it has the OS 52 from the LT-40 so I know the engine is good. Got it fired up and it ran great, went to full throttle and the spinner exploded! Well, so much for flying that one.

I do have 2 electrics, a Radian glider and an Apprentice, they both flew, almost lost the glider due to a disorientation period when it blended with a cloud, went onto a nose dive, but was able to pull out. The Apprentice I entered in a tag event where the first one down dead stick loses. I lost. By 1/2 a second. The losers from the two heats went up against each other, my plane veered towards his on take off thanks to the odd wind patterns, and I tried to straighten, overcorrected and barrel rolled the plane, then cartwheeled it. It still flies, but something is messed up with the motor, it makes noise now when throttled up, so have to find out what it is.

The only plane that I was able to fly though was the Fg-11 powered LT-40. I put over a dozen flights in yesterday on it. I got the engine tuned nicely, and that plane is FAST. There were some other planes up there zipping around and I tried to pace them, but kept passing them, even at half throttle. Was mad at the Saito 72 on the Something Xtra because I really wanted to fly that plane, they are a blast to fly and I couldn't get it to run right.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:17 PM
biam

Acdii, your fleet woes sound a lot like mine. I’ve spent a lot of time this season getting all my planes fly able as they have been mainly collecting dust the past three years. Donny your right about technology, probably scare the heck out of us if we knew all there is! Mike, I like the idea of reloading supplies in a hobby shop. Another expensive hobby I have, satisfy two needs at one store👍
Old 09-20-2021, 06:54 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

What can be more exciting than planes and guns. What could be more expensive than planes and guns! LOL I actually did more shooting this year than I did flying. Starting earlier this month I have been doing the beginnings of home remodeling, so both are being pushed to the side for now, only Bowling is being done continuously now.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:14 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

My club celebrated its twentieth anniversary over the weekend. It was a bit of a damp squib!

We had invited all of the neighboring clubs to attend and we we expecting forty-six people to turn up for the four course evening meal the mainstay of which was ham roasted on a spit. It started off fine on the Saturday morning but by the late afternoon it had started to drizzle, then the rain came down in torrents. Picture of us having an "aperitif" below.

Fortunately we had hired a marquee which kept out the rain even though it was open on one side. The French, with an uncharacteristic hardiness, just got on with things, then again, I shouldn't have been that surprised, they're very good where food is concerned. Everybody mucked in with the preparations and the washing up. Morgane had made three cakes which we had for desert. I found myself in the company of three other amateur wine connoisseurs and we tried to out do each other with increasingly excellent (and expensive) bottles of Bordeaux! I paid the price of a slight "tete du bois" the following morning.

Sunday Lunch

Sunday 11.30. Barbequeing sausages in the rain.

Saturday evening dinner. Unfortunately not everyone turned up beacuse of the weather

Roasted ham on the spit.

Sunday morning dawned dry but misty but by 11.00 the rain had returned. Three guys turned up from the Chateauroux club. Two proceeded to put on a good aerobatic display, one using a 46 powered low winger, the other a Goldberg Tiger until the Tiger pilot stuffed it in to the field beside the clubfield. We all retired to the marquee for lunch.

As for my contrbution to the flying side of things they were pretty disastrous. The club was organising its own tournament for the Baron trainer. This event was designed to be less destructive than the real Coupe Des Barons in which disaster is to bew expected! I have two Barons: one in RAF colours which was damaged in the final round of La Coupe Des Barons in June and the other in Russian colours which also required some repair and which is a nicer model to fly. I repaired the Russian one but when I switched on I found that the elevator servo oscillated badly and if I touched the elevator stick, the oscillations started again. I was surprised as this was an expensive little servo, a Hitec HS 5085 MG but I didn't have another one in that size to replace it with, so I had to repair the RAF Baron. I repaired it but I did not have the time to test it properly. I had some concerns about the battery and perhaps the engine was not quite correctly tuned, whatever the case, the engine seemed to slow on a test flight and the model crash landed in the local builder's yard. Damage minimal but that was the extent of my flying over the weekend!

Better weather forecast for tomorrow but my van will be pressed into service to return the marquee to Montchevrier.

Old 09-21-2021, 04:16 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'm sure the wine and the food made up for the flying!
Telemaster Sales UK (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 06:31 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Sorry, forgot to add the picture of Morgan and her cakes. Note the French cheeses too!

Old 09-21-2021, 06:59 AM
donnyman

Eat, drink and be merry....... Fly something if you can. sometimes I feel I am living on the wrong continent. you folks know how to live well.

That ham looks fantastic!
Old 09-21-2021, 07:16 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

It really was Donny! We had what was left over for Sunday lunch.

I told them that Berry Marche Modelisme is not really a model aeroplane club, more like a club of gourmets who occasionally fly a model aeroplane!
biam (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 01:50 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
It really was Donny! We had what was left over for Sunday lunch.

I told them that Berry Marche Modelisme is not really a model aeroplane club, more like a club of gourmets who occasionally fly a model aeroplane!
Sounds good to me! by the way that GUFF looks great, now try not setting it on fire. charge the batteries elsewhere.

I am going through the tedious process of organizing my shop to sell off almost everything, never in my life would I have imagined the amount of stuff I've accumulated over the years, no way I will sell it all. None the less and attempt will be made. I fear if I ever leave here much will be damaged by the move
Old 09-21-2021, 06:16 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Talk about moving. Never in a million years would I have said I’m leaving Texas. But yes! I’m leaving Texas. I found another piece of heaven in about 5 acres in NE Pennsylvania. I was there in August and worked my body until I was very tired. My drive back I’ll never forget. It was a tiring trip and there is about a 15 mile stretch that I drove, missed my turn, drove through a city and I don’t remember that part of the drive at all. Very scary feeling.

My truck is going in for a new clutch on Monday. My old clutch 368,000 miles still pulls this gooseneck trailer like it was new. I’m afraid to drive it to Pennsylvania. So a new clutch. I will study the old clutch and maybe do some shop art with it.

The new property has Blackberries, Blueberries, Cherries and some friendly deer that come around. Bad news is I went from wild hog to groundhog. I trapped and got 2. Hope that is all. They are a danger to home foundations.

My trailer is now in the driveway. I emptied the contents, cleaned the trailer and next is grease the bearings. Then I’ll start loading it. Since it sits lower to the ground than a Uhaul truck, transporting my shop equipment may be easier. My air compressor I’ll remove the pump and motor for easy moving. I’m getting ready for a garage sale to see if I can dispose of a few things.

I still have not found time to visit the flying field in PA.. Maybe my next trip, come October. There is supposed to be a good hobby shop not far away. No time to visit. Just lots to do here and there.

Telemaster Sales UK (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 08:52 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I am in the process of building a Galaxy Models "Mystic." This is an English kit dating from the 1980s but still available today. The wingspan is 74" (188cms.) It features foam veneered wings so I hope that it will be a fairly quick build. It was originally designed for a 61 two-stroke or 91 four-stroke with built-up tail surfaces. However, I will be fitting a 155 Laser four-stroke and the instructions state that the tailplane should be sheeted with 1/16" balsa if using a big engine. I'm not sure whether "tailplane" means just the horizontal stabiliser or the fin and rudder as well. Other builders have used 1/32" balsa to sheet their tailplanes. I opted for the 1mm balsa which I had left over from the construction of the Big Guff. 1mm is about 1/25". The structure certainly seems rigid enough to me.

This is as far as I've got with the build.

Fuselage in SLEC jig

Part-sheeted tailplane

The completed model will look something like this. It looks very smart in white but I haven't decided on a colour scheme yet. I have stocks of white, Royal Blue, orange and Cub Yellow film but white blends into some skies so I might use one or more of the other colours.

I have my interview for a Residency Permit in the local administrative capital, Gueret, on 13th October and I will be acquiring a dog, a Swiss Shepherd called Tinko. He's four years old and he will keep me fit!

https://www.pegasusmodels.co.uk/prod...94304&offset=0

biam (09-22-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.