Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 08:25 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Since its too darn hot where ever you are I thought a little humor was in order:

A 65 year old goes to the doctor? After the examination the doctor says, "Clyde, you're in remarkable shape. I don't even have any suggestions. Just curious, how old was your father when he passed away?" Clyde says, "What, my father died?" The doctor responds, “No, I just figured at your age, but I’m not surprised. How old is he?” Clyde quips, “He’s 85.” Doc says,, “OK, how old was your grandfather when he passed?” Clyde, with a look of surprise asks, “What, papaw died?” The doctor is incredulous. “You’re grandfather is alive too, amazing. How old is he?” Well, he’s 105 and he’s why I’m getting my physical. I have to fly out to his wedding. He’s marrying a 25 year old.” Doc says, “Why in the world would a 105 year old want to marry at 25 year old?” Clyde says with a wry smile, ”Who says he WANTED to?”

And for the ladies in your lives:
A mature (over 60) lady gets pulled over for speeding.

Older Woman: Is there a problem, Officer?

Officer: Ma'am, you were speeding.

Older Woman: Oh, I see.

Officer: Can I see your license please?

Older Woman: I'd give it to you but I don't have one.

Officer: Don't have one?

Older Woman: Lost it, 4 years ago for drunk driving.

Officer: I see...Can I see your vehicle registration papers please.

Older Woman: I can't do that.

Officer: Why not?

Older Woman: I stole this car.

Officer: Stole it?

Older Woman: Yes, and I killed and hacked up the owner.

Officer: You what?

Older Woman: His body parts are in plastic bags in the trunk if you want to see.

The Officer looks at the woman and slowly backs away to his car and calls for back up. Within minutes 5 police cars circle the car. A senior officer slowly approaches the car, clasping his half-drawn gun.

Officer 2: Ma'am, could you step out of your vehicle, please! The woman steps out of her vehicle.

Older woman: Is there a problem sir?

Officer 2: One of my officers told me that you have stolen this car and murdered the owner.

Older Woman: Murdered the owner?

Officer 2: Yes, could you please open the trunk of your car, please.

The woman opens the trunk, revealing nothing but an empty trunk.

Officer 2: Is this your car, ma'am?

Older Woman: Yes, here are the registration papers. The officer is quite stunned.

Officer 2: One of my officers claims that you do not have a driving license.

The woman digs into her handbag and pulls out a clutch purse and hands it to the officer.

The officer examines the license. He looks quite puzzled.

Officer 2: Thank you, ma'am, one of my officers told me you didn't have a license, that you stole this car, and that you murdered and hacked up the owner.

Older Woman: Bet the liar told you I was speeding, too.

The following 2 users liked this post by FlyerInOKC:
biam (07-19-2022), lrrambo (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 08:44 AM
lrrambo
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too hot? In Arizona during the summer? Whatever gave you that idea?

3:00 pm water in Phoenix
During the summer my day starts at 4:30 am. @ 90 degrees but I can get some things done before it gets to 105 or hotter. Currently doing brakes, fluids, transmission filter and flush on my 2013 Escalade. Now at 71 it just takes me longer. Old saying- what I used to do in a couple of hours now takes me a couple of days. Was an ASE certified heavy Equipment tech (journeyman mechanic), foreman and supervisor prior to retirement. Starting back into R/C aircraft as I always enjoyed it and it was/is relaxing.

Last edited by lrrambo; 07-19-2022 at 08:45 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 07-19-2022, 09:35 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Hot? It is considered a cool day here if the TEMP is below 100 we have been smoking for weeks, today will be 104 (chilly day) This heat is ridiculous (Quote we don't have a climate problem -end quote) guess who?

In Brooklyn N.Y. in the 1950's or so I remember all the asphalt and tar was gummie and stuck to your shoes, now add in the high humidity and breathing was difficult. the same temp. in Arizona didn't do that to me in the 60's. but it was hot!
The following users liked this post:
lrrambo (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 09:39 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

There is some stuff I walked across and a recently coated lot that stuck to my shoes when it was 90* and full sun. really gooey crack sealer.

Did you hear that Portugal had 116* temps? Thats HOT for that region.
lrrambo (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 12:06 PM
FlyerInOKC

Even the UK has been hitting the 100s. It was London Heathrow that had the melting tarmac.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 07-19-2022 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2022, 12:59 PM
acdii

Old 07-19-2022, 01:04 PM
FlyerInOKC

Rofl!
Old 07-19-2022, 02:27 PM
donnyman

106 degrees now 107 forecast for tomorrow ........................ oh happy days
Old 07-19-2022, 02:45 PM
FlyerInOKC

110 degrees here and tomorrow. Suppose to cool down Friday to 99 before going back up.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:09 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Mike at 6pm my IPHONE 10xr said it was 114F In Wichita Falls TX, tonight it has cooled off at 9pm to 105 and tomorrow the high is supposed to be108! I am so ready for the fall weather to come back its been a very hot summer here today.
Michael Johnston
Old 07-19-2022, 06:15 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by mkjohnston
hi mike at 6pm my iphone 10xr said it was 114f in wichita falls tx, tonight it has cooled off at 9pm to 105 and tomorrow the high is supposed to be108! I am so ready for the fall weather to come back its been a very hot summer here today.
Michael johnston
yuk!
Old 07-19-2022, 11:36 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Here in Central France the temperature has reached 38C (100F) but it has been accompanied by strong breezes. Consequently I've only been able to fly my faster flying models at the club. I'm not sure whether the breeze has made the temperature more bearable or whether it has turned being outside into a fan oven!

I always take my dog for two walks a day; one in the morning and one in the evening. In the morning we usually go on the Standard Walk which takes 20-25 minutes. This walk is exclusively on several small tarmac roads which keeps her nails short! At 06.30 the road and air temperatures are relatively cool but I took the advice of a contributor to a well-known social networking site who advised against walking dogs on bitumen road surfaces when the temperature is so high in the evenings. She said, "Imagine having to wear a fur coat and to walk barefoot in these temperatures." Consequently we have been going for walks in the fields and woods opposite my house. So far no-one has complained but in three walks she set up a deer and two hares, or the same hare twice. Unfortunately she did not manage to catch any of them so I had to have a vegetarian supper!

Yesterday morning at about 07.00 I took her for the Standard Walk when we bumped into a lady called Martine as we were passing her house; she was fetching something from her car which was parked outside. She made a great fuss of the dog but as we were talking the dustbin lorry/garbage truck arrived. It was a brand new Volvo. I should explain that in my part of France the rubbish/garbage collections take place on a weekly basis but one week they collect recyclable rubbish and the following week, the non-recyclable garbage. We have two wheely bins for each type of rubbish, the re-yclable bin has a yellow lid, the other one a black lid. It was the day for non-recyclable garbage. The vehicle stopped outside Martine's house then an arm reached out from the side and lifted the wheely bin into the air. A hatch opened on the roof of truck and Martine's trash was dropped into the lorry. The arm then put the wheely bin back on the ground and simultaneously the hatch in the roof closed. Only one man was required to do this, the truck driver. He then went on to the next bin,

I had never really noticed it before. Living by myself I don't generate that much rubbish so I don't leave my bin out every week and the "hommes poubelles" have usually finished their work before I'm up and about. It's what you call progress I suppose but how many jobs did it displace?

We had thunder overnight and cooler weather 28C (82F) is predicted for the days ahead. I walked the dog this morning wearing long trousers and shoes for the first time in weeks. It felt rather strange!

I've repaired my double size Tomboy (again!) this time I've powered it with an OS 40 Surpass. The engine hadn't been started in over ten years but I removed the rocker cover and glow plug, squirted some two stroke oil into the engine and it flashed up straight away. Having leaned out the top end it ticked over like the proverbial Swiss watch.13x4 APC prop. I hope to fly it tomorrow when low wind speeds are predicted. The dog would prefer to play football! Sorry "soccer."

Old 07-20-2022, 04:24 AM
FlyerInOKC

I like the colour scheme!
Old 07-20-2022, 04:49 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

When my Uncle Geoff died, I was about thirteen years old. He he left me all of his models including a regular size Tomboy, a 36" wingspan free flighter, finished in yellow with red wings and tail with red trim. I have replicated his colour scheme on the Double Size Tomboy throughout the ages. This time round I had unsurprisingly run out of Vintage Yellow Solartex and as it's not made anymore, I had to cover the forward fuselage in red.

The picture below is of the model in its first manifestation with my much younger self alongside, North Devon, Enland c 1989. Since then I've built 4.5 fuselages for it. The first one died of old age, the second and third ones were wrecked in crashes due to inexperience. The last crash was caused by me trying to land it too slowly. Even a vintage model has a stalling speed!

Old 07-20-2022, 05:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

That wing has been thru a lot, your uncle would be proud!
Old 07-20-2022, 07:17 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I stumbled across this by accident. I thought that some of you gentlemen would like to see it.

Old 07-20-2022, 07:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

That is an example of what the word Allies means
Old 07-21-2022, 07:27 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh to be in PA for cooler weather! When we started the move last year we had Deer coming to visit. In time they slowly disappeared. Day before my wife saw about 4 grazing in the backyard. Here a buck is checking out Boots our little Chihuahua. White Tail Deer I believe.

The field behind the trees is where I will one day fly park flyers and foamies. Come winter it will be ski planes and hoverboards.

I’m at the airport doing last minute prep to show a buyer my full scale airplane. I left at daybreak to take care of things while it is cool. Working until midday then heading home. It is bad enough being outside in this heat. Working inside a hot hangar is pure misery. BTDT.

Old 07-21-2022, 07:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

That deer better be careful or Boots may eat him!
Old 07-21-2022, 08:29 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Locally, 150 miles west of Ft Worth, this time of year you just wont see any deer unless they are moving at night. During they day they are hiding in the mesquite thickets. During the winter they come in off the local ranch to graze the wheat fields and you might see 40 or 50 head just before sunset.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:12 AM
FlyerInOKC

My cousin up near Dover, OK had a housing sitting on a half a section. He would get up about 6:00 AM and hear deer snorting outside the kitchen window.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:02 AM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

What I failed to mention in Post 10766 is that the playing of "The Star Spangled Banner" outside Buckingham Palace took place on 13th September 2001, two days after 9/11. If you listen carefully you can hear people singing in the background. Puts it all into context really. I was particularly impressed by the bass melody from "Oh say does that Star Spangled banner yet wave" and I'm not even American.

I have no idea who the soldiers in the dark uniforms were. I know of no British regiment which wears a ceremonial uniform that colour except for the Royal Marines but their hats are white with a red band and the cap badge is different from either the Coldstream Guards or the Royal Marines. From time to time Buckingham Palace is guarded by a regiment which is not part of the Brigade of Guards, the RAF and the Queen's Gurkha Rifles for instance. Perhaps the men in the dark uniforms were from Canada, Australia or New Zealand.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:24 AM
acdii

Pretty sad that it takes a horrendous tragedy like 9-11 to bring the country together. What the hell happened. Why are we so divided today?
Old 07-22-2022, 09:53 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by acdii
Pretty sad that it takes a horrendous tragedy like 9-11 to bring the country together. What the hell happened. Why are we so divided today?
The answer I would sadly submit, but it would not be appreciated by this thread or many of those that reside here. but when one searches his heart and admits to himself the truth the answer is loud and clear! Suffice it be said, a lie, no matter the source is the beginning of bad things and those that live by the truth are not fooled. Both sides of the coin must be considered to see the truth. and "the truth will set you free"
Telemaster Sales UK (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 09:59 AM
acdii

Where's Jack Ryan when you need him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.