Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 08:25 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mightyhorn
Born in 1955 like many...
The 1st plane I saw my dad fly was a Livewire Cruiser.
After that, a Dale Root Little Freak, Dale Root Ascender. He built a Jerry Nelson Sultan but shortly thereafter, had to leave the hobby.
I now am trying to get into the hobby. Still have my dad's Sultan. I'll fly it...one day.
Let me add my own 'welcome' to the group. Good to see more of the classics around.
And, YES, you *will* fly that Sultan one day - would love to be there to see it.
Old 09-22-2022, 08:59 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I saw something that explains my 401k and IRA accounts perfectly!

The following users liked this post:
skylark-flier (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 07:19 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Heh! Actually, you may be closer to the truth than we could ever know. Sure feels this way sometimes.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:16 AM
FlyerInOKC

Since I previously explained how my IRA works I thought I would help you guys out with lift.

Lift explained in a way you have never seen before!

https://xkcd.com/2678
Old 09-29-2022, 10:02 AM
Dale C.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm old or so I was told!

Born in 10/10/1956

My first model was a control line and I still fly them a little.But back in the 80s I went to RC and I love them.I have had a few I had a good teacher that help me learn to fly them.I was the lucky one I never did crash one so far.I'm sure now that I told on my self it will happen lol. I'm into 1/4 scale models now I'm working on a Sig Spacewalker 2 and I am going to have to cut my own kit for my Taylor Craft 1/4 scale the one I had I lost do to my wife is now in heaven it's a long story I want go into it now tho.The one I had was the lanier taylorcraft 1/4 scale.I have the plans for it now.I know it's going to take a while to cut out all of the ribs for this model I think the ribs is going to be the hardest to cut out because their are so many to cut.The rest of the model will be pretty easy to do.The big ? is will I live to see it come to life!The Taylor Craft 1/4 scale I had took me two years to build.So I hope this time around it want take as long but then again I will have to make my own kit so who know.Time s all I have.But I got to finish my Sig Spacewalker first.I'm waiting on so balsa wood for it now.I do a few special things to all of my models I think it makes them stronger I know on the landing gear it pays off big time or it has for me.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:19 AM
FlyerInOKC

SIG are some of the best design kits out there. The only companies beating them are a few of the new laser cut kit companies who are now incorporating alignment tabs and other options to make building easier than ever. The techniques they are using came out of the ARF/RTF manufacturing companies who used low pay unskilled work in primarily Asan countries.
HangarRash (09-29-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 10:25 PM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale C.
Born in 10/10/1956

My first model was a control line and I still fly them a little.But back in the 80s I went to RC and I love them.I have had a few I had a good teacher that help me learn to fly them.I was the lucky one I never did crash one so far.I'm sure now that I told on my self it will happen lol. I'm into 1/4 scale models now I'm working on a Sig Spacewalker 2 and I am going to have to cut my own kit for my Taylor Craft 1/4 scale the one I had I lost do to my wife is now in heaven it's a long story I want go into it now tho.The one I had was the lanier taylorcraft 1/4 scale.I have the plans for it now.I know it's going to take a while to cut out all of the ribs for this model I think the ribs is going to be the hardest to cut out because their are so many to cut.The rest of the model will be pretty easy to do.The big ? is will I live to see it come to life!The Taylor Craft 1/4 scale I had took me two years to build.So I hope this time around it want take as long but then again I will have to make my own kit so who know.Time s all I have.But I got to finish my Sig Spacewalker first.I'm waiting on so balsa wood for it now.I do a few special things to all of my models I think it makes them stronger I know on the landing gear it pays off big time or it has for me.
Welcome to the thread Dale.

I know what you mean about not having the time to complete every aeromodelling project you have in mind. My sister died recently from pancreatic cancer. She was seventy-two, We held a secular funeral where I read Merritt Malloy.'s "Epitaph." I have always wanted to build a 1/4 scale Fokker triplane, I have the David Hurrell plan and a brand new Laser 160 V Twin four stroke to power it, but as I am two years older than my kid sister and I have two sports models and a vintage model to finish as well as the inevitable repairs and servicing of existing aircraft, I often wonder whether I would be better off making a little Peter Rake 36" Dr.1!

Best of luck with tour plans Dale,.

David Davis.
Born 11th March 1948.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:51 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts
Default life/death

The thought of not living long enough to finish a particular project has been on my mind for a long time, I have come to the conclusion, "so what" If the model under construction or what ever isn't finished, I enjoyed the building process and that's all that matters. Once we pass on all things here won't amount to a hand full of beans for you. further worrying wont change a single thing. (what good has it done so far?)
I have enough kits and such to last the next twenty years I am trying to sell as many as I can because I KNOW my time here is definitely short, but, If I get the inclination to start another it will be started, to h--- with what happens after I am gone. selling my stuff now is to make room and get some cash to pay for what ever enjoyment is left for me now while I am alive. we get too wrapped up about the inevitable (our deaths) and all it does is occupy time that's better spent considering our next kit.
Torbjørn Frimann (10-07-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 08:39 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

On the topic of getting older, I realize that there are a finite number of airplanes that I will get a chance to build/mess with. It is starting to drive some of my choices. Once upon a time I would have taken any abandoned project or unbuilt kit offered to me. Now I ask myself, do I really want this project? There aren't a lot of builders in my club so as a builder, stuff seems to gravitate my way and lately if it isn't on my airplane bucket list I've started to pass on it. If I complete two planes a year I've got enough stuff to keep me busy for the next five or so years. Finite storage space is also an issue. Lately I've assisted with two modelers estates where the family didn't even know what was there because stuff was just stacked in random corners. I know there are people who collect kits for their own sake but I try not to let anything in my shop that I don't intend to build. Then there's the question of repair it or move on. The BUSA N-17 needs to be recovered after 15+ years. It's been a good flier and it's still structurally sound but I've got another WWI bird on the table already that could take its place in the trailer. It will probably go to a swap meet. Like David Davis I want to do a 1/4 scale triplane and a Halberstadt, and a Roland, and a Handley Page and so on and so on until I can't hold an x-acto any more. I'm probably going to build until I can't and enjoy the process along the way but when you become aware that you won't last forever it does start to impact your priorities.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
the thought of not living long enough to finish a particular project has been on my mind for a long time, I have come to the conclusion, "so what" if the model under construction or what ever isn't finished, i enjoyed the building process and that's all that matters.:d once we pass on all things here won't amount to a hand full of beans for you. Further worrying wont change a single thing. (what good has it done so far?)
i have enough kits and such to last the next twenty years i am trying to sell as many as i can because i know my time here is definitely short, but, if i get the inclination to start another it will be started, To h--- with what happens after i am gone. Selling my stuff now is to make room and get some cash to pay for what ever enjoyment is left for me now while i am alive. We get too wrapped up about the inevitable (our deaths) and all it does is occupy time that's better spent considering our next kit.

Amen!
Old 09-30-2022, 10:19 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have reached the point I have stopped collecting new projects, I plan to retire no later than December of 2024. My retirement will contain a lot of building and flying. I admit there a couple of kits I would love to have but I am not actively looking for them. If I cone across on when I have the money then maybe I'll pick it up, otherwise I'll wait until I run out of things to build and fly.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:01 AM
donnyman

Dale C.
welcome! I started the same way you did just a few years (1947) earlier, and Like you I do 1/4 scale, having a son It would be rare for me to not copy my kits so I often build two of my models, this lead me to scratch building and it cut into my flying so much so I would rather build than fly. I am working on my last 1/4 scale now (Nosen p-51) I have run out of space and time. so I have returned to smaller models currently a King Kobra, I kept the copy because I borrowed the kit form a friend but now I can build as many as I wish.

Again welcome and do tell us of you modelling exploits.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:42 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Old 10-03-2022, 12:21 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I have reached the point I have stopped collecting new projects, I plan to retire no later than December of 2024. My retirement will contain a lot of building and flying. I admit there a couple of kits I would love to have but I am not actively looking for them. If I cone across on when I have the money then maybe I'll pick it up, otherwise I'll wait until I run out of things to build and fly.
Similarly, I have a moratorium on my kit buying, having accumulated enough kits already, many my favorites, probably will never build them all.

Originally Posted by acdii
May be that is why some free flights of 70+ years ago had names like "Spook", "Ghoul", and "Ghost". Besides the smell of clear dope on the silk covered undercambered wings, which had a temporary dizzying effect on the modeller whilst painting, the super light weight silk weave was like magic for thermal activity.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:11 AM
donnyman

Since the big freeze and no electricity here nothing has occurred much in my shop (which flooded) except moving stuff from one spot to the other while trying to decide what stays or go's and My lack of stamina wont permit any long time activity so I just move enough things to misplace them. I can't find anything.

The quarter scale kits will go (I hope) first they take up the most space so maybe I will find what has been hidden (misplaced) this place is a disaster. My wood supply will be broken down into smaller piles for easy sale, I never realize how much wood I accumulated To say nothing of the plans I've gotten, it's a seriously sad situation and all the while I hunger for more. this addiction is crazy. I love it!
Old 10-04-2022, 06:38 AM
David John Davis

I've just arrived from England, having driven down from Normandy this morning. Here in Central France the sun is shining and it's 29C!

In my absence moles and mushrooms have taken over the front lawn! I hope to go flying tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'm glad to here you are back David! Good luck with the flying. I hope the mushrooms are an editable variety and hopefully the dog can discourage the moles.

On other news I had a cancerous spot on my nose removed. Outward appearance it measured 1 mm X 1.8 mm. Here is the aftermath, guys wear your sunscreen outside! Save yourself a trip. I get a knee replaced tomorrow so I'll talk to you guys next week.

Old 10-04-2022, 08:00 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

That's quite the excision Flier. I started wearing a brimmed hat twenty years ago after my brother in law, a semi-pro bass fisherman, had to have a chunk taken off of his ear. I keep sunscreen in the door pocket of my pickup. Lumps, bumps and suspicious moles are just one of the many benefits of the "Over 50 Club".
Old 10-04-2022, 11:37 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by mgnostic
That's quite the excision Flier. I started wearing a brimmed hat twenty years ago after my brother in law, a semi-pro bass fisherman, had to have a chunk taken off of his ear. I keep sunscreen in the door pocket of my pickup. Lumps, bumps and suspicious moles are just one of the many benefits of the "Over 50 Club".
Goes to show you are smarter then some of the rest of us!
Old 10-04-2022, 07:26 PM
David John Davis

I'm a big hat man myself as any pictures of me at the flying field will attest. Even if the temperature is not very hot, the brim is useful for keeping the sun out of your eyes.

I arrived back in La Belle France yesterday. I got lost a bit near Paris so it took me longer than it should have done to reach home, mind you, the countryside near Paris is very impressive, great flat fields with woods in the distance. While I've been away the lawn has been invaded by moles but I'll deal with then tomorrow. I'm going flying today!

I seem to be surrounded by death recently. My ex's son died suddenly of an eneurism a few weeks ago. He was only fifty-nine. My sister died of pancreatic cancer on 15th September and while I was in England, a friend here in France, was killed when his car fell on top of him. He was fitting a new exhaust at the time.

But on to lighter matters. I said above that I would tell you the story which I heard on a well-known social media website. Shortly after the death of the Queen, one of her Royal Protection Squad was interviewed. He was wearing the "Full Fig;" tail coat, regimental tie, medals etc and he told the story of how he and the Queen went for a walk on the moors near her Scottish castle at Balmoral. They came across a couple of tourists on a hiking holiday who didn't recognise the Queen and they stopped to chat. The hikers told the Queen where they came from and asked her where she lived. Not letting on, the Queen said that she lived in London but that she had a holiday home in Balmoral! "Wow!" exclaimed the hikers, " have you ever seen the Queen?" "No, I haven't," she replied, "but Denis has, frequently! Haven't you Denis?" "Yes I have," he replied "in fact, I saw her only this morning!" So the tourists asked the Queen to take a picture of them standing next to the man-who-had-seen-the Queen! Then they took a picture of the Queen with her bodyguard and they went on their separate ways. At a good distance the Queen said to Denis, "I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they show their holiday pictures to their friends at home and somebody recognises me!"
Old 10-05-2022, 06:27 AM
donnyman

David

I am glad you arrived home safely, And with the right attitude (go fly)

your story of the queen is how I remember her.......... one of great humor.
Old 10-05-2022, 06:31 AM
donnyman

FlyerInOkc
you Gotta stop picking your nose! God's speed with the knees something my wife needs.
Old 10-09-2022, 10:28 AM
David John Davis

A couple of years ago I lost my Big Guff vintage model when a LiPo exploded and set fire to it. Since then I've been careful to charge LiPos outdoors or to be in my workshop when they are charging. For some time I have been powering my starter motor with 2200 3S Lipos. This morning I wanted to go flying. The LiPo attached to the starter was beginning to run out of puff so I charged another one. making sure that I was always present, building the wing of a DB Sport & Scale "Sky Rider." It's intended for Miss Blue Eyes who insists that it is finished in purple and pink! After the LiPo had been charging for about half an hour, I heard a "pop" as one of the cells failed. I disconnected the charger, removed the LiPo and carried it outside by its cables. I placed it on the ground and returned to working on the Sky Rider. When I returned to look at it, all three cells had burned out. Lesson learned?

I was only charging it at 1C. Perhaps I should have checked the cell voltage before starting to charge it, but at any rate I was there to hear the "pop!" It was my oldest LiPo, probably eight years old. I found another LiPo, charged that, fitted it to the starter motor and went flying.

Actually, I spent a long time helping a clubmate look for his glider but I did manage two nice flights with the Big Guff too.

HangarRash (10-09-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 11:03 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

You might want to invest in a new charger. Seems like the balancing part is failing and could be why the first one failed. A 1C charge is so mild that it shouldn't have impacted the cell unless the balancing is off and it allowed the cell to overcharge.
Old 10-09-2022, 11:46 AM
bisco

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

wow, idk anyone who has had a battery fire, and you've had two, that's crazy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.