Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 03:34 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

ET pilot
you show two birds that will have interesting stall characteristics and can be used to show stall characteristics the spad? will stall quickly with that sharp leading edge it is a real turbulence maker at higher angles of attack but the foamy bird should be very interesting to study I think it will surprise us. Please be sure to post it's flying characteristics with us.

Last edited by donnyman; 01-30-2023 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:58 PM
mightyhorn

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Again All:
Back to when my dad was first flying- He lived in San Carlos, CA not too far south of San Francisco. He had one plane that looked like an Army something. He said that he would have to run onto highway 101 to get his plane off of the freeway.
The Livewire Cruiser would "float" as he said. The perfect trainer. No buddy boxes back then. He always built his planes heavy- extra coats of dope, etc. One Saturday his Ascender went into a flat spin...hard. The prop was broken and the landing gear came off.... that was it. He sold it when he was half way done building the Sultan. He started the build shortly before proportional radios came about. My folks took out a loan for his reed set-up. Once the proportional craze hit I think he was concerned about getting another loan if that went away. Also he would up going to work for a small (2 men) flooring company. Finally he just left the hobby,.
Now that I am retired, I plan to start with a Hobbico Superstar as my trainer. When I am finally flying & getting ready, I will send a copy of the Ascender II plans to a company to kit it up. That's my next build. Going to try & use the same colors too.
Keep the classic planes alive!
mightyhorn (Don Moore)
Vancouver, WA
The following users liked this post:
GallopingGhostler (01-31-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 07:00 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts
Default destressing news

I just got a newsletter from Old School Models, here is what I read:

Secondly, our supply of CA hinges has dried up and it’s taken a bit of time a negotiation to find a substitute. I’ve found another supplier that I hope will be a good replacement.

But the biggest problem has been the loss of Sig Mfg. There's a lot of rumors going around as to what's going on with them - well I can tell you that as of 1/31, they have ceased all manufacturing and what's left will be an importer of ARF kits, moving somewhere up in the Chicago area. That's a shame, as there's a massive history and knowledge base that's apparently going to be lost. As you may or may not know, I purchase a good deal of items from Sig which are included in our own kits. Some wood, landing gear (music) wire, nose gear assemblies, etc. Their shutdown has sent me scrambling to find other suppliers. I'm well on the way to solving some of these, but let's just say it's taking ALL of my free time to make sure things are still shipping on time.

Mike
GallopingGhostler (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 08:17 AM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

Shame.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:17 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Last I heard, they were reorganizing. Herb took over last June.

https://sigmfg.com/pages/sig-not-closing

I had swung by there in 21 and had a tour with the new owner and he had high ambitions to get the company back on track. New laser machines were being installed, had the kit production all revamped and was restocking a lot of kits. He did have issues with getting balsa though, one of his shipments was confiscated by the DEA and the drilled the crap out of it looking fro drugs, ruining the entire truck load. I don't know what happened since, except that the 2022 fly in was cancelled.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:37 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm in a wait and see, but don't have my expectations high until things prove otherwise.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:43 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

EZ HINGE substitute...?
Take a rotary rasp bit on the right type of plastic and make it fuzzy..
Can anyone weigh in with what is the correct plastic to make our own EZ HINGES with...?
Old 02-02-2023, 08:07 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by combatpigg
EZ HINGE substitute...?
Can anyone weigh in with what is the correct plastic to make our own EZ HINGES with...?
How about these?

https://www.motionrc.com/products/be...ck-bct5044-021
Old 02-03-2023, 02:17 AM
ETpilot

EZ HINGE substitute...?

I’ve been wanting to experiment using a tape out of a VCR cassette. Strong and flexible enough, cut to size. Pin on each side. Some day I’ll get to it. I’ll try on a foamy airplane. Homemade foamies are expendable.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:36 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

EZ HINGE substitute...?
I was wondering about laminating a piece of doculam between two sheets of tyvek paper.
Old 02-05-2023, 01:16 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I thought that you gentlemen might be interested in seeing this. Those of you with military experience should not be offended by the language which is understandable under the circumstances. Or at least, that's what I think!

Old 02-05-2023, 03:55 AM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

While sitting on the settee nursing a back strain this morning, I came across this:

I've seen it before and yes it's not a fee flight model but it's still very entertaining. I lived near Ilfracombe and Barnstaple for fourteen years. Sorry about the ads.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I thought that you gentlemen might be interested in seeing this. Those of you with military experience should not be offended by the language which is understandable under the circumstances. Or at least, that's what I think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOoiEbtf2w
Lol! I'll bet someone had to change their underwear after that one!

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 02-05-2023 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:54 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOoiEbtf2w
I've seen the video a number of times but it is still pretty funny. It brings back memories of growing up near Ft.Sill, Oklahoma. It is home of the U.S. Army's artillery school and has a large firing range. Up through at least the 1980's the Air Force and Air National Guard also used it for life fire practice. On the other side of the farm was Altus Airforce Base, A MAC base with C-5 Galaxies and KC-135 tankers so it was rich ground for a cold war plane spotter. The particular memory this video evoke relates to working for a local farmer building fence about ten miles south of the firing range. The farmer and I were tying the bottom wire of the fence to the posts so we were both squatted down. I looked up just in time to see a F105 Thunderchief coming toward us at a very low altitude. The jet was going fast enough to out run his sound by just a bit. His shadow passed over us and then it sounded like the world exploded. Good times. I don't think I knew that a middle aged farmer could jump that high or that a Sunday school teacher could cuss that much.
David John Davis (02-05-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 09:51 AM
donnyman

Speaking of farmers, We were flying to several airports to post for sale signs for the plane we were flying in, on the way back to base we spotted a very big tractor hauling a disc plow, we went down for a closer look only to pass over the tractor from the rear only a few feet above it the right wing look about two feet over the cab, we were close, as I looked back the driver was jumping out of the tractor, I hope he took it out of gear because he was pretty close to the fence in front of him. my pilot stayed real low and poured the coal to the old bird afraid he may get our registration number. low flying is a blast.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:12 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Forthnite_99
I agree with you that life could not be better! Although I am young at 59 and planning on retiring soon. What makes me look forward to it is the fact I will be doing what you are doing (laughing) going to the field more often and during off peak hours and fly as much as I can!
sounds real good.. but I and many others have found retirement to be the busiest times of our lives it sounds crazy but be aware the (honey do's) may get you and your time at the field May diminish. other things have a way of sneaking in on you and consuming much of your time, At least it seems so. none the less enjoy your retirement.
ETpilot (02-14-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 07:05 AM
bisco

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

like going to the doctor
Old 02-14-2023, 04:50 AM
ETpilot

What Donny says is very true. Retirement is a busy time. I’ve been retired now more years than I was employed. Busy busy but I would not change a thing.

Old 02-14-2023, 05:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have known several people over the years who said the same thing in the first months of retirement: I'm so busy now I don't know how I found the time to work for a living!
Old 02-14-2023, 05:55 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by bisco
like going to the doctor
Doctors........ I submitted claims to the VA for agent orange damage and all I have done this month is visit doctors six so far and I have a appointment at ten today and three or four a week from now, not to mention the paperwork I am (almost) ready to get a job it seems easier. and the pills..................................
bisco (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 06:02 AM
FlyerInOKC

I feel so lucky I only have two doctor's appointments this month. We won't discuss next month or my sixteen PT appointments this month.
bisco (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 06:12 AM
donnyman

I'll be back got to get ready for my doctor appt.
bisco (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 02:46 PM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

The man-made flu has sure kept those Doctors busy.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:43 PM
donnyman

I do not know about a man made flu but I have been poked, prodded, flipped, dipped, ekg'd, xrayed, rubbed, and looked at and I am sick and tired of it. and rejected a finger wave.
but have to make a appearance for a possible colonoscopy in a week or two. all over the agent orange thing, Two friends has died from it, both with leukemia.
One thing the last doctor was a women, she was wonderful!

I intend to just relax for the next few days.

Flyer.......... did you ever build your tiger 60 ? I was just reading the tiger thread.
bisco (02-16-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 04:35 PM
FlyerInOKC

It's about half build right now. It will get done at some point. I'm thinking of retiring next January. I talked to a guy with a NIB first gen. Wankel today. He wanted $300 I passed on it. Maybe you should consider selling some of yours?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.