Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 06:50 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I talked to a guy with a NIB first gen. Wankel today. He wanted $300 I passed on it.
Actually for a special powerful 4 stroke .30 that cost more to manufacture because of its geometric complexity, $300 if in NOS or near NOS condition is a very good price. Tower in its hay day was selling them for upwards of $450 some years ago. One could buy a good sport Schneurle with same thrust for under $100 then, so for me, economy (affordability) won out. Lately I've been seeing upwards of $1,000 US on the Internet auctions for new in the box NOS complete Wankels with all docs and accessories as boxed. I guess some folk have a lot of money to burn.

One Wankel fan on Cox Engine Forums has been posting his various collector buys. One of the lower cost ones was in the rough and had its combustion chamber heavily rusted, won't hold compression. He cleaned it up and restored it to a display engine.

I will probably never own a Wankel due to their ultra high cost compared with other engines that provide the same performance function wise. I prefer lagging behind technology than being at the cutting edge of it, helps to stay within budget and still have fun.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:36 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I had a first generation when they first came out on a Sweet Stik. It was a fun little engine but it bleed as much fuel as it burned. The later version were a lot better.
Old 02-16-2023, 02:25 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Bit of a "vintage" day at my club yesterday. 12C and light winds.

One of our members has built a Radio Queen and flew it for the first time yesterday. In 1954 a Radio Queen crossed the English Channel from England to France. It was the first model aircraft to do so. Francois' model was massively overpowered which made it twitchy on the controls so he only flew one circuit before landing it on the runway. It glided well. My dog just had to photo bomb one of the pictures!

I flew my Big Guff but could not get the Guidato's engine to run reliably so that stayed on the ground.

As for Wankel engines, the chairman of a neighbouring club has one in a Baron 1914, a well-known three-channel trainer very loosely based on a Great War monoplane. For those who don't know what a Baron looks like there's one in the foreground of the last picture.

There will be little opportunity to fly over the next few weeks because of a large military excercise taking place in the area.

The following users liked this post:
GallopingGhostler (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 06:19 AM
FlyerInOKC

Thanks for the pictures David! It's too windy (46 km/h to 64 km/h) and cold (-2 C) around here for any flying. Sounds like the French military is preparing for the worse.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:36 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

In all of France only two model aeroplane clubs are affected and mine is one of them, however, I do live in a particualrly rural area. I believe that the armies of other allied nations are participating in this excercise just to show you-know-who that we're readyy.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
In all of France only two model aeroplane clubs are affected and mine is one of them, however, I do live in a particularly rural area. I believe that the armies of other allied nations are participating in this exercise just to show you-know-who that we're ready.
A little food for thought!
Old 02-16-2023, 09:06 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

It's about half build right now. It will get done at some point. I'm thinking of retiring next January. I talked to a guy with a NIB first gen. Wankel today. He wanted $300 I passed on it. Maybe you should consider selling some of yours?
I have one (tiger) hanging from the ceiling with a bunch of modifications but incomplete. I tried to download a pic. but the file is too big.

Wankels ...I love them! I have four two off of my old royal B-25 and two purchased separately, all the original versions the newer versions were just too expensive.
as far as selling goes my health is such getting up to my shop is a chore and is currently a national disaster area but if I continue to feel as I have the past few days I may get out of the A-- dragging mode. I have tons of stuff to sell because at my age and condition flying will be minimized at best. I definitely wont stop designing and building just on a less dynamic scale.

DAVID I enjoy your pictures and envy all the flying you are able to do, more power to you! Your dog seems happy and healthy.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:26 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Hmm, I just realized I am not getting emails when you guys post. Just double checked and it is set to email too.

I was watching some utoob vids on small engine kits and ran across a couple that would be darned cool with a gear reduction drive to spin a prop. Would look and sound awesome in something like a P-40 or P-51. One was a 4 cylinder with stacks that ran on Nitro/Methanol, 35%. Has a built in starter too.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:51 AM
GallopingGhostler

In keeping with David's excellent post on December 22, 2022, the advertising video based on the 1914 truce between Allies and Hun, looks like the powers to be are beating the war drums again.

Many's faith was tested. Yet, I find it interesting at the commoner level, we all have basically the same wants, desires, passions, needs, etc.

Example, Cox Engine Forums, mainly for the small engines and planes, vehicles, boats enthusiasts has friends posting from all over the world, friends from Canada, UK, France, Hungary, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Turkey, Sweden and etc. At times in past history, our various governments were at odds or war with each other. But, at our level, we all share common interests with each other. We are like each other in the 1914 truce.

As such, it is more important that we strengthen ourselves and the bonds of friendship we have with our local communities and each other. Short of encouraging our elected and non-elected officials to make the right decisions by writing them, we don't elsewise have much control, like the soldiers on both sides of the 1914 trenches.

That will help us to sustain whatever is thrown at us. I enjoy the modeling activities you have given us through the various windows you share with us, David.
donnyman (02-18-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 12:05 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
Hmm, I just realized I am not getting emails when you guys post. Just double checked and it is set to email too.
I haven't got them in years and long since gave up on fixing it.
Old 02-16-2023, 12:33 PM
GallopingGhostler

Could be a browser, antivirus or router setting. Click on your icon in the upper right corner of RCU webpage. Click on Suscribed Threads link. If this thread is selected, check your E-mail Spam box.

It is probably a simple setting somewhere (maybe E-mail setting?) that is hindering you receiving notifications.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:17 PM
bisco

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i don't get them, and out of the blue, they start coming again. then after awhile, they stop again
Old 02-16-2023, 09:56 PM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

It looks like the big boys won't be requiring our airspace this weekend and mild temperatures and light winds are forecast so I'll post some pictures of anything interesting.
GallopingGhostler (02-16-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 05:19 AM
FlyerInOKC

That is good news!
Old 02-19-2023, 01:37 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Ever since I was a youth I've liked an early radio controlled model called a Guidato. I liked its snub nosed appearence and tricycle undercarriage. I succeeded in finishing the construction of the model in January, powered by an ASP 30 FS.I intended to use it as a basic trainer to give retired novices their first expertience of r/c flight. In my opinion a 46 powered ARTF trainer is too fast for such gentlemen. I was planning to fit an OS 40 Surpass because it's not well-enough powered to take off from a grass strip but never got round to it. It's not too bad on my club's asphalt runway but it still required a bit of time in the air to sort it out fully when I went to the flying field yesterday afternoon. It turned out to be a bit of a disaster.

I had charged up the rx battery yesterday morning and had removed the caburettor from the ASP and cleaned it. This resulted in better running. I substituted the 10x6 yellow plastic prop with an APC of the same size. The engine did not like it so a 10x5 was fitted. With the engine running well and the timer on the transmitter set to 10 minutes I took off and flew the model in circuits and horizontal eights for over five minutes. The rudder was still a bit twitchy but not too bad. It flew a little more quickly than a Junior 60 but still not too fast for an elderly beginner. Suddenly the model went into a tight left hand spriral dive, described as "brutalement" by one witness and it hit the ground breaking the rear fuselage. On getting the wreckage back to the pits I had no response to the transmitter. The elastic bands broke or popped off the dowels and apart from getting a little dirty in the crash, the wing was undamaged,

Lesson Learned.

Stop Being Such A Cheapskate David!

I had fitted an old receiver, an old switch and an old battery. At least one of those was probably defective. Bearing in mind that a new Spektrum AR410 costs less than 37€ (about £31 or $40 US), a battery pack costs 25€ and a good switch is less than 20€ it's not worth skimping on the cost of these items especially as it had taken me over six months to build the model.

What's even worse is that I have a perfectly sound AR410 rx in my BE2e. I intend to fit a six channel receiver to the BE2 so that I can use a stabiliser. On take off it sometimes tips over onto its lower wingtip unless it is dead into wind.

Not only that, I have three brand new switches and two unopened rx battery packs in my workshop! I was always brought up to be careful with money but you can take things too far!

Perhaps if I had used basswood for the longerons, the fuselage may have survived but the model would have been heavier and flown more quickly. Fortunately the bottom longeron on the Guidato is straight so it should be possible to pin the wreckage to the building board and with accurate measurement, scarf some wood into place. I'll probably build a new fin and rudder for it because my enlarged rudder proved not to be neccessary.

I'm going to assign a different model memory to the model once it's been repaired, given that my Spektrum DX9 transmitter has 250 model memories, just in case the problem was with the transmitter.

After the accident I had a long flight with the club's ARTF trainer just to get back on the horse as it were.

Some pictures of before and after, my dog inevitably photo bombing at least one of them. You wouldn't want her to feel left out would you!

HangarRash (02-28-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 06:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

I think it will buff out!
David John Davis (02-19-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 08:34 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

I wonder if, for some of us at least, being a "cheapskate" comes from having been relatively poor when we started modeling. Early on, everything got recycled into the next airplane. Heck, up until the last few years almost every airplane I had had at least one experienced part in it. I doubt I am the only one who remembers having to save up for a modeling purchase.
David John Davis (02-19-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 12:36 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by mgnostic
I wonder if, for some of us at least, being a "cheapskate" comes from having been relatively poor when we started modeling. Early on, everything got recycled into the next airplane. Heck, up until the last few years almost every airplane I had had at least one experienced part in it. I doubt I am the only one who remembers having to save up for a modeling purchase.
I know that was how I started. I built my first C/L airplane because a Cox airplane was out of reach. I had to save for a while before I could by that first engine. I still model on a shoestring it's just a little bigger now!
Old 02-21-2023, 06:45 AM
donnyman

Odd I didn't consider making repairs as being cheap, just the natural thing to do. I have a plans built Ziroli Morane Saulnier From the 1970's hanging in my garage I am not sure how much of it is original. Thinking back on it every thing I've flown has new parts. If you haven't crashed you haven't flown! my planes seem to fly better after being repaired.

I accomplished my first complete Solo flight with this bird. Although I am sure I had to scraped my coins together to purchase my birds I to this day don,t consider the cost, I just do what needs to be done no matter how long it takes. my mustang build started in the late 1970's.

Last edited by donnyman; 02-21-2023 at 06:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by donnyman:
David John Davis (02-21-2023), GallopingGhostler (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 07:38 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by donnyman
I have a plans built Ziroli Morane Saulnier From the 1970's hanging in my garage I am not sure how much of it is original. Thinking back on it every thing I've flown has new parts. If you haven't crashed you haven't flown! my planes seem to fly better after being repaired.
That Morane is a really nice plane you built, Donny, a good compliment to David's Barons.

Deviating a little from builds but being reminded by your statement of crashes, I see a few posters in other threads now and then that claim to never have crashed, now flying a warbird or Kaos as their 2nd or 3rd plane. The same goes for a few posters who ride motorcycles, stating they have never dropped their bike, now riding a full tourer. Sometimes makes me wonder who is hiding behind that keyboard and computer screen. "Nothing to see, move along ..."

Again, a really nicely done, "veteran of wars", flown scale flyer.
bisco (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 08:22 AM
FlyerInOKC

They aren't crashes they are alternate landing techniques!
bisco (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 08:38 AM
GallopingGhostler

They aren't crashes they are alternate landing techniques!
And for motorcyclists, alternate riding styles.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:50 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
That Morane is a really nice plane you built, Donny, a good compliment to David's Barons.

Deviating a little from builds but being reminded by your statement of crashes, I see a few posters in other threads now and then that claim to never have crashed, now flying a warbird or Kaos as their 2nd or 3rd plane. The same goes for a few posters who ride motorcycles, stating they have never dropped their bike, now riding a full tourer. Sometimes makes me wonder who is hiding behind that keyboard and computer screen. "Nothing to see, move along ..."

Again, a really nicely done, "veteran of wars", flown scale flyer.
My thought is if you haven't crashed you aren't flying enough.
GallopingGhostler (02-22-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 08:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

There you go!

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 02-21-2023 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:52 AM
donnyman

I must be on a nostalgia kick but could not find a pic of a bird until just now, I built it just because it said my Heathkit would fit. (flower power) Darn, another just came to mind but the name escapes me, it was a shoulder wing kit, my son loved it. I was impressed by the wings construction method and used it on a falcon 56 fuselage modified as a skylark 56. It was a fine flyer I really liked doing touch and goes with it. it was a solid flyer and stable in the landing pattern. A friend that just returned from Germany planted it and replaced it with a kit built Sig Kougar with a Enya 35 which I thought was a piece of junk until I flew it, that Enya which I still have was the perfect engine for that bird an became my steady all time favorite until I planted it showing off. I have photos of these birds in a file cabinet in my shop. got to dig them out and start a album.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Flower_Power_oz1564.pdf (324.0 KB, 16 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.