Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 11:16 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Only stands to reason that new engines would improve their performance over the older engines back in the day. Look at the improvements in radios over the same period of time. The improvement has it advantages when you a building a kit designed back when the older engine designs were state of the art.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:19 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

George / Flyerinokc

What you say is true but it has been my experience that though a engine has the rpm an HP rating they don't produce the torque needed to achiecve the pulling power desired in many instances (exceptions accepted) I would have to put them to the test..... I have these engines.

If time permits I will conduct a flight test. I know the os 25 fs to be a pretty stout engine.

The weight differeces also produces balance problems that has to be compensated.

Last edited by donnyman; 10-30-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:54 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
George / Flyerinokc What you say is true but it has been my experience that though a engine has the rpm an HP rating they don't produce the torque needed to achieve the pulling power desired in many instances (exceptions accepted) I would have to put them to the test..... I have these engines. If time permits I will conduct a flight test. I know the os 25 fs to be a pretty stout engine. The weight differences also produces balance problems that has to be compensated.
Good engine discussion on Stuka Stunt, Subject: "ARF NOBLER ENGINE CHOICE":
http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcb...25005&page=289

Good number swear by Fox .35 Stunt. Engines choices there are considerable variances.

Agree with you factors, weight balance, torque, propping correcting, fuel and glow plug affect outcome. A lot of preferences out there. My comments are academic. Would like to move up from 400 sq. in. profiles to 500 sq. in. full body or profile, got a Dykes ringed Testors McCoy.40 Series 21 Black Head begging for an airframe.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:45 AM
GallopingGhostler

Donny, by coincidence another post just appeared on Stunt Hangar with good info on engines for the Nobler, Are we overpowering our Noblers?

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,41158.0.html

And a little off topic, but preparing for a little seasonal joy, too on tenor sax (video).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7T9-FMCHtgJY2RKOXgzNWdKdTA/view?usp=sharing
Old 11-02-2015, 06:44 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Donny, by coincidence another post just appeared on Stunt Hangar with good info on engines for the Nobler, Are we overpowering our Noblers?

And a little off topic, but preparing for a little seasonal joy, too on tenor sax (video).

Remember what Marilyn Monroe said about sax players in Some Like It Hot you can't trust them!
Old 11-02-2015, 06:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

I lucked into something the other day. I have a friend that does R/C Estate sales locally and he was cleaning out. He gave me some old plastic divided boxes he was going to pitch. Now I have a lot of usable hardware and a lifetime of Futaba servo arms and servo trays!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:18 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Remember what Marilyn Monroe said about sax players in Some Like It Hot you can't trust them!
Of course they can be trusted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBi8SGpLTGI
Old 11-02-2015, 12:35 PM
FlyerInOKC

That clip proves they can't be trusted.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:27 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guy's looking for some new in box engines at lower prices than discount houses or some low use used engines, need to contact me. i am 86 & will not get around to using all these engines,os max k& b greem heads enyas & more. [email protected] for list. look in to it! frankie
314-781-7409
NEW ENGINES
FREE SHIPPING ARTICLES OVER &100.00 & UP

Last edited by trainermaster80; 11-12-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: LEFT OUT SOME INFORMATION
Old 11-07-2015, 11:22 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler

I am very careful when I read such threads, one does not know all the parameters involved with he flight of anoters plane. isn't the arf nobler designed for a 25-35 size engine???? so what is it doing with a forty in it??

Many times when I got involved in this type of situation (discussion) I find the lack of knowlege to be the problem and when explained it gets all buggered up. in most cases someone did not take time to read the instructions especially when one ask am i over powering a plane designed for a twenty five with a forty in the nose.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:53 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by donnyman
I am very careful when I read such threads, one does not know all the parameters involved with the flight of another's plane. isn't the arf nobler designed for a 25-35 size engine???? so what is it doing with a forty in it??

Many times when I got involved in this type of situation (discussion) I find the lack of knowledge to be the problem and when explained it gets all buggered up. in most cases someone did not take time to read the instructions especially when one ask am i over powering a plane designed for a twenty five with a forty in the nose.
You got a point Donny, free advice is what it is. Until one gets to know the posters, there are those who know what they are doing mixed with barracks lawyers, LOL. And as you say there are a lot of other factors, such as weight of the plane, how person tunes the engine and etc.

You have some purists who disdain any design that doesn't fit the idea stunt pattern plane mode, rants about wing thickness, etc. Then someone won this summer a high level stunt contest with a less than optimal legacy Ringmaster. Piloting skill trumped others on that one.

Got the wood, I'll need to start working on my 1960 Berkeley Interceptor 35, has same proportions as the Ringmaster but with thicker wing. Photo of box below shows the 15, but mine is the 35.

With a short nose, will balance better with a heavier engine. Don't know if I'll go with my K&B .20 Sportster or McCoy .35 Red Head.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Berkeley Interceptor15-1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	2129635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interceptor Plan.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	2129636   Click image for larger version

Name:	interceptor35.gif
Views:	176
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	2129637  

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 11-08-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:44 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

I know you are talking of different types of airplanes, but I over power all my planes because I live at 6800 ft here in Wyoming, all my forty sized plane's get 55 and 60s some even has a 75, the 60 sized plane's get 90 on up to 108 and a couple with 120s, 40 size engines won't fly a 40 plane here, I had one on a trainer got it in the air using all 600 feet not fun way under power, when I go to Colorado or some parts of Wyoming like Worland and it's under 4200 I have a blast with the power!
Old 11-08-2015, 12:13 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by hairy46
I know you are talking of different types of airplanes, but I over power all my planes because I live at 6800 ft here in Wyoming, all my forty sized plane's get 55 and 60s some even has a 75, the 60 sized plane's get 90 on up to 108 and a couple with 120s, 40 size engines won't fly a 40 plane here, I had one on a trainer got it in the air using all 600 feet not fun way under power, when I go to Colorado or some parts of Wyoming like Worland and it's under 4200 I have a blast with the power!
Oh, you are correct hairy46 about other factors such as elevation. I used to live at 6,500 feet and the mesa top in Gallup, NM was at 7,000 ft. One learns that props play even a bigger role than at sea level. Ambient air pressure at 7,000 feet is 11.3 psia whereas at sea level it is 14.7 psia. (See https://www.avs.org/AVS/files/c7/c7e...de54f87b9e.pdf ). That is 77% of what is available at sea level, and corresponding drop in HP is about the same. I'm now at 4,300 feet, which isn't quite as critical, about 85% of sea level, but basically eliminates the lower end of the spectrum for R/C engine sizes on R/C planes. One flier was struggling to get his 40 sized high wing trainer with a .25 off the ground but wasn't a problem at sea level. I like to build light, so I can squeak by without overpowering but still gravitate to the upper limit of engines.

At least for control line, flying on shorter lines of say 60' the effect isn't quite as pronounced and to maintain same lap speeds one goes to adding a little nitro to the fuel and experimenting with prop sizes.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:45 AM
shaun the sheep

Hi all, I`m Wullie, an old timer from bonnie Scotland and very slow typer! Born feb 1951 so retiring soon. Started with balsa/tissue/dope Keil craft rubber kits in 1962 or so,also some small balsa boat kits, airfix plastics before. Used to watch (in awe) r/c fliers on nearby council playing fields. Lost interest when 16 or so. Back in to boats (r/c) briefly between 1997-2000. Found,( dare I say it ) Hobbyking in 2012 and have built (and destroyed) several planes since.I also enjoyed shooting and fishing over the years and have had around 10 dinghies and motors to date. However, after almost 50 years as a joiner my back is giving me trouble so time for something less strenuous . Looking forward to enjoying this forum.--Wullie.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:16 AM
brner

Hi Wullie and welcome to the gang. However, you're just a youngun...lol I got you beat by about 13 years or so but still having fun in this modeling world... Currently have a scratch build of my first (1956-57) RC plane (Mambo) on my build list. Also, recently took an interest in a boat due to one of the threads on here. Started and am going along slowly with my scow build. As I know very little about building model boats, it's going along slowly but I'm enjoying the trip....

Hope all is well with you and yours,

Don
Old 11-09-2015, 09:18 AM
FlyerInOKC

Off topic but someone over in the Saito asked my Saito didn't have their own website, well they do.

http://www.saito-mfg.com/english/top.html
Old 11-09-2015, 11:34 AM
shaun the sheep

Originally Posted by brner
Hi Wullie and welcome to the gang. However, you're just a youngun...lol I got you beat by about 13 years or so but still having fun in this modeling world... Currently have a scratch build of my first (1956-57) RC plane (Mambo) on my build list. Also, recently took an interest in a boat due to one of the threads on here. Started and am going along slowly with my scow build. As I know very little about building model boats, it's going along slowly but I'm enjoying the trip....

Hope all is well with you and yours,

Don
Hi brner. Thanks for the welcome. As you will see not new to building but new to r/c. Have had to virtually start again due to modern technology and methods and I`m sure I`ll benefit from the accumulated knowledge of real old timers like yourself and also the younger generations who more readily encompass modern technology.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:48 AM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

hey wullie, keep a bottle of alive handy & get out to a model field ,watch & talk to the modelers. lots of comaradere is good for your spirit. i know i am 86 & still flying although i am building my last giant scale airplane a DYNAFLITE SUPER DECATHLON. GOT THE TAIL FEATHERS & 1/2 OF THE WING ABOUT 1/2 FINISHED.STILL FLY A SIG SENIOR KADET & SIG 4 STAR 120 WITH SUPER TIGER 2500. IT'S PRETY FAST & AEROBATIC. I HAVE BAD BACK TOO.
SO THERE WULLIE HANG IN THERE. FRANKIE TRAINEMASTER 80
Old 11-10-2015, 12:42 PM
shaun the sheep

Hi Frankie. Hope I can still see a plane when or even if i become an octogenerian! Guess that`s 21/2 metre span then. Have the greatest respect for you guys, I get upset when I crash a 1.4m cheapo foamie.--Wullie.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:14 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Posted here a while back as a retired carpenter ,only 60 ,retired at 55 .lol Been flying / building for over 35 years .I also enjoy hunting down plans online and building them also , FREE plans only and sharing them by giving builders here the sites where i find them at . Took me 7 years to find the PL-12 Airtruk on page 2 but plenty of others on the 4 pages. joe http://www.foro-aeromodelismo.com/vi...p?f=22&t=11223 If i can figure out how to download them anyone can trust me .lmao joe
Old 11-12-2015, 06:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by joebahl
Posted here a while back as a retired carpenter ,only 60 ,retired at 55 .lol Been flying / building for over 35 years .I also enjoy hunting down plans online and building them also , FREE plans only and sharing them by giving builders here the sites where i find them at . Took me 7 years to find the PL-12 Airtruk on page 2 but plenty of others on the 4 pages. joe http://www.foro-aeromodelismo.com/vi...p?f=22&t=11223 If i can figure out how to download them anyone can trust me .lmao joe
Click on PL-12 Airtruk.rar - Mirror 1 at the bottom of the post did google something to open a .rar if you don't already have something.

Here is a link to a laser cut short kit with the plans!

http://store.laser-design-services.c...roducts_id=210
Old 11-12-2015, 06:26 PM
donnyman

Hi Joebahl

I just downloaded two plans from the site you posted. I am a sucker when it comes to free downloads. as a scratch builder collecting plans is a must though I won't live to build them all I am having a good time! here is one I downloaded sometime ago It's from keil kraft plans and was a fun build I will mold a canopy soon.

Shaun the sheep

welcome! this thread is becomeing a world traveler .......I like that!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0324.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	3.73 MB
ID:	2130292  
Old 11-13-2015, 09:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

That is the problem with free plans you end up buying out the LHS trying to build them all!
Old 11-13-2015, 09:34 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

When you get to be like us, we love to build. It is hard to see how these people can be satisfied with ARFs. If you didn't build it its not really yours.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:49 AM
shaun the sheep

Hi Joe. Thanks for the wecome. I am only 'building' artf's (balsa and foamies) at the moment. Spent many hours in my early teens building up and doping balsa tissue rubber powered and glider models but my 'newbie' limited r/c skills mean that my potential for destruction is enormous! It's bad enough totalling an artf or foamie but at this stage I am not prepared to invest the man hours on even a kit, never mind a scatch built, just to wreck it on its maiden flight.--Wullie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.