Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Help us improve Model Aviation magazine.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Help us improve Model Aviation magazine.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 10:38 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help us improve Model Aviation magazine.

>

Absolutely.

>

No! No! Then they would have to triple the number of advertisments to pay for all the glitzy photography...<G>

Steve
Old 12-30-2001, 12:19 AM
L454S
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mag

Have to agree with the majority of others here. If I didnt have to buy this mag, I would not! As stated earlier, RC Report is the best so far. I understand that coverage of all aspects of modeling is tough, but after 2 minutes I throw it away. Splitting things up seems to me to be the ONLY answer.
Old 01-01-2002, 06:17 AM
RCRC
My Feedback: (56)

I pretty much agree with other comments above. But I get 4 RC mags each month and each has pros and cons. RCR has some good editorial content but terrible paper and print quality! RCM is biased in favor of the manufacturers and has too many ads vs articles! MAN has those darned inserts and sells too many plans!
None are perfect!

I would like to see more advanced technical articles on RC. And
perhaps you could add interest to MA by using color on all pages with articles. Color always adds to reader enjoyment. I bet a lot more of us R/Cers would even read an occasional free-flight article if they were in color.

You might consider selling MA at newsstands and use the additional proceeds to finance the added cost of color. This would also have the advantage of reaching more young people which is a primary goal of AMA.

The key to making improvements in anything is finding someone who really cares about that thing! I believe you have made definite improvements in MA recently and you deserve credit.

BTW, I take my old magazines to my local library and they put them in boxes by the door and give them away.

My 2 cents!
Bill
Old 01-03-2002, 03:13 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Default Honestly you guys...........

Here's someone looking for input on an important part of our hobby and STILL, the whiners have to stand up and be noticed. Like Mark said, let's stay on topic.

Amoungst all of the culch here, there are a few good suggestions:
1. Getting MA out to schools and libraries. I think this is an excellent suggestion. I am not sure that selling MA on the newsstand along side RCM or MAN which are glossier by far and attract the eye much better is a good idea.

2. More sanctioned event coverage. R/C guys like pictures. Color is important as many many of us take pains in the finish of a model. I enjoyed the World Pattern champs article by Eric Henderson immensely. MA doesn't have to cover every club fun-fly but there are events nearly year round in some part of the US or world.

3. Since we're now sending this mag out to schools, including a beginner's section is an excellent idea. Someone suggested printing the names and numbers of volunteer instructors. Well, that may take up a whole magazine itself but providing direction for someone to go to find this information in their area IS a good idea. Some in this area could be how-to's or where-to-looks.

4. How about an inside look at Muncie? Whats going on? Whats new?

But there were also some bad ideas:
1. Reviews. MA, please don't. There are half a dozen other magazines out there that do kit/engine/radio/etc/ad nauseum reviews. I mean, how many reivews of the assembly of an H9 Edge 540 ARF can we read?? I like the fact that MA DOESN'T do reviews. Besides Mark, as you can see here, there is almost no pleasing these guys. It is generally accepted that RCR provides the best kit reviews. For MA to start doing them would simply beg the comparison to RCR and I see no reason for it. When it comes to engine reviews, no one beats Clarence Lee.

2. Separate mags for specialized areas. Forget it! It would only serve to further divide the factions of this hobby like the heli and fixed wing folks. I firmly believe that MA SHOULD be ALL model aviation. Realizing that no one magazine can be all things to all people, MA should not try. But the 1 or 2 page articles that cover each aspect already covered are great.

3. VP columns every three months. Another bad idea. I am sure that each VP uses his column for something different. Some put more time in on it than others. But I enjoy seeing what other clubs and areas are doing.

Some things I LOVE about MA:
1. The Getting and Keeping Flying Fields articles.
2. NATS coverage.
3. Member's projects

In short, leave the reviews to the others. Get MA out to more than just the membership. More world-wide flying coverage. A section devoted to beginners.
If I want glossy, I'll buy MAN. If I want reviews, RCR. If I need a catalog, RCM. I look for MA to tell me whats going on in model aviation in the US and elsewhere.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:56 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Improving Model Aviation magazine

Anyone notice that the magazine is turning into an obituary column? There seems to be entirely too much reminiscing about the '30s, '40s, and so on. Such reminiscences do nothing to promote the hobby or appeal to younger people. MA has very little of interest to the advanced modeler. I would never buy this magazine if given a choice. It usually goes in the can as soon as it arrives.

Let the flaming arrows fly but all of you know what I am talking about.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:44 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default AMA

XP8103, you hit the nail on the head, everything you say above rings true.
I feel sorry for the complainers above, I'm sure that, as they grow up, they will get a different perspective of the worth of AMA and the way it is currently run.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:01 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Improving Model Aviation Magazine

OK,

First we are asked for input on what needs to be changed to make the publication better;

Then we give the feedback;

Finally, those who gave feedback are labeled as "whiners" by others who apparently don't like what others have to say. Further, told, or at least insinuated, that we need to grow up!

What is wrong with this picture?
Old 01-09-2002, 09:20 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

I'd like to see you do away with the magazine all together, reduce the annual AMA membership fee and let me save my newly found money for another use.

There are already plently of other magazines available covering each aspect of our hobby, so why not let them be it.

Cheers!
Old 01-09-2002, 09:59 PM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong, but I hear that the premium cost per person for AMA insurance is a whopping $4.00! BTW, why does Model Aviation Magazine have $3.50 on the cover and they don't seem to want to sell them at the news stand?

Oh well.

Take care,
CCR
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructors