Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Shipping plane to Puerto Rico

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Shipping plane to Puerto Rico

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 12:29 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Shipping plane to Puerto Rico

Hello All,

Does anybody have a recommendation for shipping a plane from the U.S. to Puerto Rico. The package is 64X30X24 inches and weights 15 pounds. It exceeds UPS/FedEx and USPS maximum 130 inches in total dimensions.

Thanks,
Edgar
Old 01-10-2002, 03:33 AM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big package shipping.....

Go to www.forwardair.com, see if they fly to PR. This is a great outfit that goes to major airports. I have sent and received many built planes through them. Rates are by weight and include insurance, and have 2 day service. Most I've ever paid was $38 for a LARGE 22 lb crated plane.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:27 PM
BevoHoward

Default Shipping

You should give USAIRWAYS a call. I don't remember what type airplanes they fly to SJU. As long as your height is not over 30 inches you should be in pretty good shape unless they fly commuters. If this is the case then Us Air can interline it with Amerijet out of MIA. Forwardair is a trucking company. This probably wont help you much. Keep in mind that your cost is based on actual weight or dimensional weight, whichever is higher. This is an industry standard including Forwardair. You might luck out and get an inexperienced agent who charges only actual weight, but I wouldn't count on that. In your case you have a dimensional weight of about 241 Lbs. This is calculated by multiplying the dimensions ( 65x30x24) = 46800 then divide that number by 194. This will give you your Dim Weight of 241 lbs
Keep in mind that you will have to make up invoices to indicate the contents and value. This is very simple. On a blank piece of paper put down your name and date at the top. Just below it put 1 airplane estimated value is _____ . Not for resale. Three originals are required. While SJU is considered a Domestic shipment invoices are still required. Also, If should you decide to ship this way you will be asked to open the crate so it can be inspected. If you include an engine and fuel tank it must be flushed. NO residual fuel or oil can be present. You would be surprised what I have found over the years doing this inspection.
I hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2002, 03:37 PM
pileit1

Default Shipping to P. R.

What is the origination point of your shipment?
USAirways flys the Airbus, B757, and B767 to Puerto Rico. Plenty of room for almost anything.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:09 AM
Edgar Perez

Default California

The package is coming from the Los Angeles area in California.

Do you think airlines will treat a boxed airplane gently enough to survive the trip?

Do you recommend US Airways specifically or just any big airline flying to P.R.?

Thanks,
Edgar
Old 01-11-2002, 04:42 AM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Default I beg to differ about Forward Air........

it might be a trucking company also (they do have trucks that move freight from airports to their facilities), but they do FLY cargo. How else can a 22 lb airplane in a crate make it from Houston to San Diego in less than 48 hours for $38? Not in a truck. At the present, they deliver air cargo only within the continental US, no Puerto Rico yet.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:53 AM
BevoHoward

Default Shipping

Rocky is one of the good ole boys from CLT. If you need anything I'm sure Rocky would be glad to help. Rocky is one of the MANY good agents for US Air in Charlotte N.C. He is an old Piedmont Guy.
Rocky,
I'm no longer Manager at RICFF. I just plain had enough!! Send me email at bevohoward.com
My computer went flakey on me. It would be nice to hear how it is going in CLT.

Regards,

Tom/RICFF
Old 01-11-2002, 07:16 AM
pileit1

Thanks for that glowing endorsement Tom.

Edgar, there is a bit of risk when shipping a built model no matter WHO is carrying it. In any large service organization that handles other people's property, there are the majority of people who will treat that property as if it were their own, and then there are the rest who won't. It doesn't matter if it's an airline, UPS, FEDEX, or whoever, some people just don't give a damn as long as they get their paycheck. With this in mind, some care is required when doing the actual packaging. It's likely that your plane will get bumped around a bit, but probably won't suffer any traumatic jolts. The plane should be packed accordingly. I would recommend foam rubber at any contact points with the model, and at least a couple of inches between the model and the box. Bad things do sometimes happen though, so insurance is a MUST, and you can't overdo the FRAGILE warnings on the outside of the box. The shipper is usually responsible for the proper packaging of a shipment. If the shipment IS damaged, and the packaging is deemed to have been inadequate, you will have trouble with the claim. (I'm presuming that you are not the one who will be packing the model for shipping.) You should discuss this with the person who is doing the shipping. A little bit of common sense will go a long way.

Check your phone book under Air Cargo or Airlines to see who serves your area and call them for quotes.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask or send me an email.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:39 AM
BevoHoward

Default Shipping by trucking ( ForwardAir)

I kinda feel obligated to give some advice. If it were me I would not use a company like FORWARDAIR. They do not cater to small shipments like models ok? They deal with Freight Forwarders like for example Eagle Logistics, Pilot Air freight. Surf Intl, Team Air, Danzas IEM, Schenker, etc , etc.
Most of the time ( not all ) but most of the time they handle wooden crates, if not crates then they handle what we call CANS. They are called ULD's
This means unit load devise. We have LD 3's and 4's etc. What most people don't understand is that a LOT of air freight never even goes on an airplane. Now these CANS are about 2/3rds the height of a trailer. Guess where your 500 or $1000.00 airplane is going? Yep right on top of those Cans. This is a business where dimensional weight is very very important. Forwardair is an air freight trucking company, and they have good rates because they fill thier truck full even if they have to shove it in. If it gets busted up and they take a claim then so be.
I want to mention one more thing. I have to disagree mith my buddy Rocky. Never Ever Ever put Fragile Labels on anything. I mean never!! I always advised against it. Always!!! These are the first ones to get busted. I've seen it happen! Like he said some people just don't give a damn!!!!
Old 01-13-2002, 08:07 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shipping plane to Puerto Rico

For what its worth...

I could easily relate to Bevos obvious experience and knowledge of the shipping industry, it all makes sense to me...

I have used Forward Air, Inc. maybe 25 times in the last five years... I had one occasion that involved what appeared to be a forklift's fork puncturing the bottom of a crate. No damage inside... I have heard of a users that had some problems and the claim was paid without issue...

The most I have payed, was to ship a 40% Carden Cap from Florida to California with an insured value of $6,000.00 for $166.00

I would recommend this company. I have tried, used and over paid many other companies and am speaking with the voice of experience...
Old 01-13-2002, 03:31 PM
pileit1

Well Tom, I agree with you in principal about the FRAGILE label being akin to putting a "bullseye" on the package. HOWEVER, if the package IS damaged and a claim is filed on it, depending on what company is involved, not doing that could give them an out on the claim in regards to "the adequate and appropriate packaging and labeling" of the shipment. I'm sure most companies will pay claims arising from obvious mishandling and negligence on their part, but details like a missing label can turn a hassle into a real PITA.

Another option, as far as the airlines are concerned, would be their "priority package" services. USAirways' program is called "PDQ". As far as I know, the only real size restriction has to do with weight. For $45 you can send a package up to 75 pounds from one airport to another on their system, but you have to drop it at the originating station (in this case LAX) and pick it up at the destination (SJU, San Juan). This is same day delivery (in most cases), however from LAX to SJU might take two days. Generally, a PDQ package of this size clearly marked as FRAGILE will be loaded so that the risk of being crushed is very small.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:56 PM
BevoHoward

Default PDQ

PDQ is another option as far as shipping goes. However it does have more limitations. The total of the dimensions can't exceed 90 inches, and it can't be over 100 lbs. In the last couple of years US Air has offered what they call PDQ HEAVYWEIGHT. This gives you a limit of 250 lbs. The restriction here is that it must be tendered at the air freight facility, and not the ticket counter. I normal PDQ can be tendered at either one. I might add that all airlines have this same day package service. For those that might be interested the name each carrier uses is as follows
Delta-- Dash
United-- SPD ( special package delivery)
Continental-- Quick Pak
Northwest-- VIP ( very important package)
US Air-- PDQ ( package delivered quick)

If I'm not mistaken the cost on US Air is $ 52.00 for 1 piece up to 50 lbs. If it is over 50 lbs it jumps to something like $ 75.00. So if you have 2 pieces at 49 lbs it is 52 times 2 and so on. I had the manager at Eagle Logistics call me up wanting to know if I would except 186 piece PDQ. I said sure bring it over!!. $52.00 times 186 pieces. I was licking my chops on that one. Wolfe and Gangwall probably would have given me Buddy Passes for a year for that shipment
Old 01-13-2002, 04:33 PM
Edgar Perez

Default Thanks...

Really good information here. Thanks

Edgar