Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 09:14 AM
The Snake
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.modelaircraft.org/events/la-jets-0
Old 07-27-2023, 10:45 AM
saramos

The wrong address is given on the AMA website for the event. The correct address is 6201 Woodley Ave. Lake Balboa, CA 91406.

Old 08-13-2023, 09:14 PM
saramos

The FRIA committee of the San Fernando Valley Flyers met with a representative of the Van Nuys Airport Control Tower and with the AMA District X Vice President at the Apollo XI Model Airfield this morning. It was a very positive introductory meeting where we gave a tour of the airfield and it's different operational areas. We also spoke of our desire to seek support from the VNY ATC for the airfield being accepted as a FRIA in the form of an endorsement letter. The committee will also be drafting a revised LOA (Letter of Agreement) for submission that seeks to increase the approved flying space to beyond the north end as defined in the current LOA signed in June of 2022.
Old 09-16-2023, 02:40 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by michelsmith5
I always enjoy when someone from out of town visits and expresses amazment that such a great facility is so loosely run.
Late to the comment,, but Buddy,
I was born and raised in So Cal, I first flew at the Basin in 1975 when the control line circles were close to Burbank Blvd. Got into power RC in the mid 80's, I flew there as my primary field until 2005 when we moved out of CA,

I think I have a lot more knowledge of the history of the facility than "someone from out of town"

I have a trip planned for Nov. will be a basin bum again at least for a day or two

As the saying goes,, it's better to be a has been, than a never was,,

Old 09-16-2023, 09:31 AM
saramos

Great to see ex pat basin bums coming back for visits! Lots of ups and downs at the field lately. PortaPottys were set on fire 3 weeks ago and there was significant damage to the training center. Recs and Parks only handle emptying the trash, servicing the bathrooms (still without doors), and providing the PortaPottys by the containers. All mowing is being done by the SFVF now. SFVF is going to start performing crack repairs soon, and will be able to do this in the future with the purchase of crack repair equipment. The field manager with volunteer help has replaced/repaired all the pit tables and has had folks out to help with grounds cleaning and maintenance. SFVF will be meeting with the Van Nuys Tower on Monday in pursuit of an endorsement of FRIA and to improve the LOA that was signed in 2022 which has significant restrictions.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:46 AM
scale only 4 me

Update, there is a door on the men's room pooper stall,, it's a Xmas miracle

Bummed though,, drove all the way from Orange Sat morning with my trailer full of planes and a toy just to find out the Toys for Tots event was cancelled
Old 12-12-2023, 11:19 AM
saramos

Unfortunately, there was a no fly NOTAM due to President visit to So Cal.
Old 12-13-2023, 11:54 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by saramos
Unfortunately, there was a no fly NOTAM due to President visit to So Cal.

I know I am in Canada but one of the fields I visit had vandal problems and some of the guys were hunters and put up trail cams and were able to identify vandals. They were arrested and charged for the damage. Yes, one or two trail cams were damaged or stolen, but the others survived and provided the necessary information for the police.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:27 AM
scale only 4 me

It was a fun day out there on Tuesday,,,Thanks for the pics Ken

The following users liked this post:
saramos (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 07:58 AM
saramos

Swap meet at the basin today.
Old 01-26-2024, 12:37 AM
saramos

Good news and bad news.

Bad news:
With March 16th around the corner when RID grace period will end, we still have not received FRIA for the Apollo XI Field. I give it something less than 50/50 that we will be successful in getting FRIA for the field.

Good news:
The FAA created another option that covers clubs like ours, who fly at a public field and/or within 5 miles of an airport. It is called a Remote Identification Authorization and is given to AMA Clubs who have a Letter of Agreement with the local airpoirt. This allows club members to fly within the bounds as defined in the airport LOA without RID in their UAVs.

Non club members are still required to have Remote IDs installed by March 16th.

Cheers,

Scott Ramos
Secretary
Old 02-02-2024, 12:28 PM
saramos

A NOTAM has been issued. The Apollo XI field will be closed Feb. 3-4, 2024.
Old 02-11-2024, 09:24 AM
saramos

Update on flood damage.
The electrical systems and equipment sustained major damage.
The container in the Helicopter area appears to have floated and tilted sideways as everything on the shelves were on the floor. The Heli/Drone charging system will need to be completely rebuilt. The generators in the park flyer area were destroyed as well as the inverters. All the computers were destroyed. Glen is working to see what is salvageable and what will need to be replaced. There will be no power until further notice.

On Saturday, over 20 volunteers showed up for field cleanup. All the major mud was removed from the pits at the park flyer, main field and heli/drone area. Mud has been broken up on the main runway and taxiways. Ground cleaning will continue until at least Wednesday. Dept. of Recs and Parks have said the earliest the park will be open to non-workers will be Feb 12. I recommend to not return for flying until at least Wednesday. Even then, it is most likely there will be no operational charging stations. It appears that the flood also has opened up some of the cracks even wider in the pits and on the runway. A go-fund-me page has been setup at https://gofund.me/9f16db3d

Last edited by saramos; 02-11-2024 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:35 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bless the volunteers!
The following users liked this post:
saramos (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 02:34 PM
saramos

We are in need of another round of volunteers at the field. Parks was out today with a skip loader breaking up the mud on the main runway. They have not finished yet. Last Saturday, volunteers scraped the mud off the pits and center taxiway. The mud was placed at the edge of the pavement. We need to come back and move the scrapings out into the field or it will simply wash back into the pits and taxiways with this coming weekend's rain. Volunteers are invited out on Thursday Feb. 15th at 9:00 AM. Bring grubby clothes and shoes, square shovels, and wheel barrows would would be helpful.