Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Lanier Shrike Conversion?

Old 11-05-2015, 07:41 PM
CLBetten
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier Shrike Conversion?

Think a .15 sized Lanier Shrike would convert well to CL for a fairly newbie sport flyer?
Old 11-06-2015, 06:51 AM
aspeed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably? Usually c/line needs a bit more nose weight, and a little tip weight, so I would address that before getting too far along in the project. There are lots of other options though, unless you happen to just have one around, or got a great deal on it.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:14 AM
paw080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CLBetten View Post
Think a .15 sized Lanier Shrike would convert well to CL for a fairly newbie sport flyer?

Hi CL, are you building from a set of plans, or will you build a kit? First of all, I recommend a drastic weigh reduction. That means

you will have to do a lot of wood size reduction and pay very careful attention to wood grain. I also suggest you try to build for

an 18-20% CG. This model as designed has way too long a nose moment. You will have to shorten the nose length, and place

the front of your tank at the leading edge of the wing. Also lose the inward wedge angle of the vertical fins.

This Shrike is an attractive model for sure; but the design configuration has been explored decades before. I refer to

The Fierce Arrow and Barry Baxter's 1/2 Arrow. Bare's 1/2 Arrow has 260sq"s wing area, and this was powered with a

Paw .049 cu" diesel engine. The Netzband Fierce Arrow has 800sq"s wing area and was powered by the venerable Fox .35.

If building from plans, I recommend 350-400sq"s wing area if using a strong .15 engine. Best of luck;

Tony
Old 11-06-2015, 10:46 AM
CLBetten
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I picked up a partially built kit. It was a throw in on some old timer kits. I'm not really interested in flying it as RC. Thought it may be fun as a CL.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:18 PM
paw080

Hi Again, Yes, I gotcha. My suggestions are for a control line model conversion.

Tony
Old 01-26-2016, 04:21 PM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

...a waste of a great R/C model.

Find some plans, scratch build something...just don't take a kit like this and 'convert' it to C/L.