Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

First CL in a long time

Old 08-15-2020, 03:59 PM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First CL in a long time

I just bought a Sig Twister kit and it is under construction now, the engine is a .40 Saito 4 stroke, pretty much by the plans other than the engine choice. I grew up flying 1/2a CL and had many cox kits but never flew the larger ones so I never had to set up anything other than the 1/2a lines tied directly to the bellcrank. There are details in the plans sort of, how should the lead out lines be constructed, is there a best method? I need to buy lines and a handle as well, Brodak seems like the source for this stuff, is there a go-to setup I should order?
Old 08-16-2020, 05:59 AM
aspeed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brodak is a good source. He recently passed away so I would hurry and get supplies. Here is a good video of making lines.
I use about .030" braided stainless lines from a downrigger for .35 size planes, and .015" x 60 ft. lines. You can crimp braided lines too, Pass the loose end through the tube so it does not slip, and most guys use an eyelet so the line does not chafe. Give it a firm pull test when you are done. Safety forced. I think 20 Gs. Not just because of flying forces, but because lines go slack and can jerk pretty hard when you step back. Safety thongs are used now, that hook on to the down side of the handle with a slip knot to your wrist.. It came in handy for me twice so far. My wrist was a bit sore the next day. Enjoy your flying again. It will be much better than the little .049s.

Last edited by aspeed; 08-16-2020 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:13 AM
gene6029

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good advice from aspeed. Welcome back to C/L , and a good choice of model to do it with. Im a Twister fan. Heres a few of mine. All with OS engines, LA .46 & .40 for power....Gene

The following users liked this post:
Dan Vincent (09-20-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 05:54 AM
Tom Nied

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also check out RSM for Controline items. https://rsmdistribution.com/index.php