Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Ringmaster S1A plans

Old 06-02-2007, 05:52 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ringmaster S1A plans

Where can I find plans for this plane? My Grandfather and I use to fly one years ago and I was wanting to take a strole down memory lane. We had an OS .35 FP on ours, is this to much engine? What about a Brodak .25 or OS LA .25? There is a kit on eBay but I have plenty of materials for building it from plans.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2007, 07:30 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Ringmaster S1A plans

Most people build the S-1 over the S-1A because it is OTS eligible. If you can't find S-1A plans, perhaps you can modify the S-1 plans. I know the "A" used LE sheeting and a plastic canopy. Not sure of other changes or "improvements". BTW, the kit came with isometric views and assembly instructions so you could not use the plans to build from.

Good luck.

George
Old 06-04-2007, 03:40 PM

I have been told it's not a very good plane, it has no flaps.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: green river rc

Actually, that's not very good advice. It really doesn't need flaps to do what it can do. And it can do adequate square turns quite nicely. That is, if either the pilot knows to fly the airplane, not just yank the handle for the square turns. The Ringmaster has always suffered from having builders set up the elevator so it'll go 90degrees up/down, and then being flown using all that movement. They're often flown that way by beginners.

Rig the linkage so it takes a fair amount of handle to deflect the elevator and the sucker flies great. And makes one fine trainer. Setup the linkage too fast and it's a marginal trainer. And the people saying it isn't good because it doesn't have flaps probably setup theirs too fast.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:53 AM
My Feedback: (6)

I totally agree,
I have built several C/L planes and the ringmaster is one of the best. It was the one I first learned on over 40 years ago and it was still flying until a year ago when I crashed it beyond repair. Since then I bought another one on EBay. It is still new in the box and still wrapped in plastic, never opened. If somoene doesn't come up with plans, I will go ahead and open it and copy the plans for you. Your cost will be the price of a copy and mailing.
Larry
PS: The kit I have is the Sterling models Ringmaster 35 Pro by Estes. By the picture on the box, it looks exactly like the older version S1 Sterling models had.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:42 AM

Here is a site for you. Looks like you have to register to be able to log in. http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info...edregistration

Lots of foks flying Ringmasters and having fun.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:58 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

None of the designs of that era had flaps. For a 56 year old design, it does pretty well.

I've had a half dozen Ringmasters. An S-1a version with the venerable Fox 35 was one of the best flying models I've ever piloted.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:07 AM

Most did not have flaps; however, the Sterling Yak and Mustang of the same era had flaps, as did several older designs: Nobler and Chief for example.

In PAMPA Old Time Stunt there is a 10 point no-flap bonus. I would like to build a British design called Lil' Abner. It has flaps maybe 1/2 inch wide and I can't decide if I fly well enough that losing 10 points is no problem, or if I fly so poorly that losing 10 points would nt be noticed.[&o]
Old 06-07-2007, 11:15 AM

I'm going to order the S-1 plans and build it while I'm off for a week this summer
Old 06-07-2007, 07:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I fly a SIG Akromaster, without flaps. It's performance never ceases to amaze me. Great little plane with only 34" span, powered by an OS.15FP, 8x5 prop and 50' lines.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22560.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	699541  
The following users liked this post:
mwaites (03-29-2024)
Old 07-24-2007, 12:49 PM
TGC

I'm going to order the S-1 plans and build it while I'm off for a week this summer
Did you " git 'er done?"

I also ran across this source for plans: http://www.clstunt.com/plans.htm

Sterling Ringmaster S-1. Mat Kania's OT legal classic flapless profile stunter as originally kitted by Sterling, 1952. This was the biggest selling kit of all time. 42 inch span. 381 square inches. For 20-35 size engines. AutoCAD plan showing all ribs and pieces. One sheet 34 x 43.

Original Ringmaster. NOT THE PROFILE. Harry Williamson's full bodied, non-flapped Old Time style stunter. 40 inch span, straight wing, with sheeted leading edge. Low wing with upright engine makes it somewhat top heavy. Original had SIG canopy and was powered by Fox 35. Plan shows all formers. One sheet 24 x 44.

Sterling P-51 Mustang. Full-scale plan of the Sterling S-2 kit. 38 inch span, profile with coupled flaps for .19 to .35 size engines. An excellent flyer that turns tight when built straight. On sheet, 24 x 45 inches. (Somebody wanted flaps? ... BTW, back then, Sterling also had the matching combat adversary to this one for you, the YAK-9)

Best of Luck to you!
Old 07-24-2007, 01:18 PM
TGC

Ooooops! ... I guess I can't edit my post here ...

The YAK-9 was Sterling Kit S-3 ! ... At that time, during the Korean "Conflict" , Sterling representatives toured the country with S-2 & S-3's popularizing a new sport known as Control Line Combat Flying.

(If it weren't for flashbacks, I'd probably have no memory at all left ... [] )
Old 07-25-2007, 08:01 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Additional thought on flaps:

The whole purpose of using flaps is to create more lift for a tighter turn in CL Precision Aerobatics. You are shooting for the elusive five foot radius square turn that must be performed in miliseconds. For most of us, it is unattainable...but we try.

For all but top level flyers, non-flapped planes can fly better than we can anyhow. Even some of the top level flyers have fun with non-flapped planes. Note the "Fancherized" Twister, Brett Buck's modifications to the Skyray 35, and ultra light versions of the Ringmaster, designed to wring out as much performance as possible, to name a few.

Some top flyers suggest that flaps only be used when you have gone as far as you can go without them. That said, most of us want to tinker with them WAY before we really need them. That just complicates building and trimming, but hey, that's what tinkering is for.

The point is, don't think you NEED flaps to have fun. Remember the KISS principle.

Enjoy a Ringmaster!

George
Old 07-25-2007, 08:51 AM

With the parts left over, I'm going to build a motorcycle.
Looking forward to seeing your work AND very interested in seeing the motorcycle.

But do look closely at the rigging to the elevator. The close hole in the bellcrank helps keep the throw managable as does rigging the pushrod further out on the elevator horn. This is one time that having the ability to move the elevator horn connection is really worthwhile.