Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
 Max-s .25 in a flite streak ARF >

Max-s .25 in a flite streak ARF

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Max-s .25 in a flite streak ARF

Old 12-23-2007, 03:17 AM
My Feedback: (264)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max-s .25 in a flite streak ARF

Hello all, I have been flying a flite streak ARF on 60ft lines with a FP .25 for power and it flys great, no shortage of power.

I just picked up a very nice max-s .25 baffled piston here on RCU for a song. I have another FS ARF in the box and was thinking of using this engine in it.

I am guessing this engine will not be as powerful as the schnurle ported FP I'm currently flying. I have not run the max-s yet, so I'm not sure of its power. I am going to try a APC 9.5X4.5 prop for the first flights.

Will I be safe to fly on the 60ft lines like the FP or should I go with 52ft lines first? I'm kind of a C/L rookie and would not like to put this plane into the dirt on its first flight because of a stupid mistake.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions for running this engine?

Thanks

Mike

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46744.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	831920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64680.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	831921  
Old 12-23-2007, 03:19 AM

Default RE: Max-s .25 in a flite streak ARF

Oh boy, those pics came out awful.........

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20574.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	831922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59212.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	831923  
Old 12-23-2007, 02:42 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming you are going to use it as-is with the throttle open, it will have a bit less power than the FP. The Max-S was known to be a pretty powerful baffle engine and the Flite Streak was designed to fly with a baffle .19 to .35. That said, give it a try on the 60' lines. If it can't hack it, then decrease the line length.

Make sure the engine is broken in with a few short "heat-cycle" runs if it is new. Since it is iron/steel, you might consider using some castor in the fuel also.

BTW, some guys are flying the ARF Flite Streak with a FP .15.

George
Old 12-23-2007, 06:01 PM

Yes, I'm going to pin the throttle wide open on this carb and go for it.

This engine has been run before, but not much from the looks of it. I have a case of fox "Dukes" fuel, 10% nitro and I spiked it to 24% ALL castor. This is what I've been running in my C/L engines. I use Omega for my R/C planes.

I would think the .15 FP would be the bare minimum for power. I prefer a little more than that just to be on the safe side, especially being that I am still a rank beginner.

Thanks for the advice George.

Mike
Old 12-23-2007, 08:12 PM

I've flown a kit FS (30 years ago) with a Fox .25 from that era on 60' lines. That old Fox was a lot stronger than I ever expected it to be when I bought it.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A baffle piston MAX .25 should fly a flite streak without any problem. The MAX .25 is a good 10 years newer in design than the MAX-S .35, and is darn near as powerful as the MAX-S .35. The MAX-S engines (.30, .35) were introduced in 1963, the MAX .20 and .25 didn't come along until the early '70s.

Back when I was at school, I had a friend who had one on a big flying wing (some old Aeroflyte kit, not sure what it was called). His .25 really hauled with a master airscrew 9x4 on it, I don't reckon it was much down in power compared to my MAX-S .35. I don't think the MAX .25 would do a 4-2 break though - better to run it at a nice fast slightly rich 2 stroke.

Incidentally, I am aware of a guy here in Oz who flys a full size flite streak successfully with the the .25s little brother, the MAX .20.

I really love those old baffle piston OS MAXes. They are sweet little engines - easy to start & tune.

cheers,
Colin
Old 12-24-2007, 12:09 AM

Thanks, I'll have no worries about the performance of this engine then in the FS ARF.

BTW, I also have a few brand new MAX-S engines in .15, .20, .30 and two .35, all R/C. I also have one slightly used .35 C/L

I pick them up mostly at epay. The C/L versions are the hardest to find and win by far.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You and I appear to be suffering from the same addiction :-)

Since getting back into C/L a couple of years ago, I have collected old OS MAX series engines from .10 to .60 inclusive.

1 x .10 FSR-S (one of only two schnuerle ported engines I own, the other is a Norvel)
2 x .15 (one C/L, one converted from R/C)
1 x MAX-III .15 (absolutely beautiful engine!)
1 x .20 (C/L version)
1 x .25 (R/C version, now converted)
2 x MAX-S .30 (one C/L, one NIB R/C, now converted to C/L)
2 x MAX-S .35 (both bought as C/L variants, one was my original 'big' engine bought NIB in 1981, the other 2nd hand from eBay)
1 x MAX .35 "big shaft". Transitional model between MAX-II and MAX-III .35, called a 'combatnik' in the US.
1 x MAX-H .40 (had a hard time getting the venturi for this, now converted and a wonderful engine)
1 x MAX-H .60 (still in R/C configuration - beautiful engine but not sure about using it for C/L)

I'm nearly as bad with Enyas as well. My wife has given up hope :-)

cheers,
Colin