Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
 A cautionary tale for seniors >

A cautionary tale for seniors

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

A cautionary tale for seniors

Old 02-22-2009, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A cautionary tale for seniors

I have read that folks over forty are prone to get dehydrated without realizing it. Went flying this afternoon. My legs were distressingly weak and shaky. I considered aborting and flying the tank out level. But managed to complete the OTS pattern and not fall down. I realized that my liquid intake for the day had been three cups of coffee and one glass of water, and that I had not peed for a long time. I sat down and drank a pint of water. In about 45 minutes I put up another flight and my legs were fine. I'm going to have a couple of gallons of water with me every day at the VSC.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A cautionary tale for seniors

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

I have read that folks over forty are prone to get dehydrated without realizing it. Went flying this afternoon. My legs were distressingly weak and shaky. I considered aborting and flying the tank out level. But managed to complete the OTS pattern and not fall down. I realized that my liquid intake for the day had been three cups of coffee and one glass of water, and that I had not peed for a long time. I sat down and drank a pint of water. In about 45 minutes I put up another flight and my legs were fine. I'm going to have a couple of gallons of water with me every day at the VSC.

I'm a 60 year old youngster. I'll remember that when I get to be a senior. Seriously, that IS good advice. It's been said that no matter what your age if your (pardon me) urine, is still yellow by noon you aren't drinking enough water. For true, as they say in Norlins.

Bill
Old 02-22-2009, 08:57 PM

I always drink a sport drink before I go the field. Plenty of water at the field. I fly off black top can get very hot.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:33 PM

Jim, Keep that water bottle nearby! Or try a Camelback, which is a nifty backpack/water pouch with a mouth piece that allows you to get a drink while you are busy making those counter-clockwise turns.

I was hoping I would find you here because I have lost your e-mail address and neither of us patronizes that other site since the unpleasantness of the fall. This is way off the topic of model airplanes, but I was hoping to pick your brain about some activities I am doing with my 6th graders involving genetics, natural selection, and the breeding of Mus Musculus and Danio Rerio.

Cheers,

Christopher Dahle
Old 02-23-2009, 12:13 AM

Take care Jim,

On summer flying days I freeze a 1.5 litre bottle overnight. Gives me plenty of cold water to drink while I fly. It can even be topped up from time to time throughout the day.

I also think that coffee has a dehydrating affect (not 100% sure tho')