Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

old engine parts

Old 03-07-2009, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old engine parts

I need a spray valve for a Green head TORPEDO 29 engine, can anyone out there help me.

Sincerely,

Spirit3
Old 03-07-2009, 10:40 PM

Default RE: old engine parts

I believe I have one that will fit. Its a K&B new inpack. It t looks the same as the one on a torpedo 35. Send me an e mail and we can work some thing out.
Dasflugmodele
Old 03-08-2009, 07:35 AM

Thanks, I had it on an old Flite Streak control line plane I rebuilt, belong to a club of us C/L guys, I got the engine in late 50's, one of the guys is looking for a valve also, have not heard back from him yet.

spirit3
Old 03-09-2009, 08:29 PM

If you just want to get it running, a C/L needle valve assembly for a Super Tigre G.34 should fit OK. You may need to pack it out a bit with some washers to get the hole centered on the intake since the old Greenhead's venturi is a bit smaller in diameter than the G.34.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: spirit3

I need a spray valve for a Green head TORPEDO 29 engine, can anyone out there help me.
Sincerely,
Spirit3

Like cutaway says about the ST needle assembly, others may do better. I flew compitition CL stunt from around 1957 to 1973. In my later years, mid '60s to '72, I did very well. I used Fox .35s, Fox .40s, one Veco .35, and the best of all, in the last several years, a George Aldrich modified Super Tigre .40. However the Fox .40 Stunt was an awesome engine after a careful break-in. I never used a K&B much as they wore out too quickly and loved to throw crankshafts. [:@]

Now, here is a secret that few would ever try, but those that did found a significant ease of running these engines. Remove the stock needle valve assembly. replace it with an OS assembly or an Enya, almost the same as OS. NOW HEAR THIS: As cutaway said, use washers to place the spraybar hole in the center. Then rotate that hole to JUST out of sight facing the rear of the engine. That old Fox 35 will do a perfect 2-4 break as well as the other engines.
In fact i may do that for my Super Cyke Spark after I try it standard, and a new Anderson Spitfire .65. My Sup. Cyke was a good runner with the stock NV back in the early '60s both spark and glow, but I wasn't doing anything fancy then.

I am now playing again with some CL stunt hopefully to get back to some Old Time Stunt flying. All engines get the OS/Enya treatment. It still works. BTW when using those old engines, 5% nitro and LOTS of oil. 25% or more like Fox Superfuel is the ticket.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious. Is your K&B .29 the one with the 3-screw backplate or the later 4-screw.

One of my favorite engines from the fifties was a greenhead 3-screw K&B .29. It never failed to start quickly, had great power and I preferred it over my Fox engines.

The K&B .19 was also a very impressive performer and could easily fly models usually flown with a .29 or .35.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:05 AM

I flew one of those 1950's 3-screw .29's in a flight streak for a long time. Very easy handling engine. One day it fatally broke - the case cracked in half right next to where the venturi riser ended and the crack went all the way around the cylinder and it stopped running in mid flight. Strange failure.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Spirit3,

The K&B NVAs didn't change much over the years. It is possible that MECOA still has some of them as spare parts.

If they do, and you happen to come up with one that doesn't put the jet hole about in the middle of the venturii, you can pack with washers on one side or the other until it is right. The K&B NVA is a bit larger diameter than the Fox 35's, but is a good, progressive piece as far as needle settings go.

LUCK, and keeo us posted?
Old 04-04-2009, 05:39 PM

I have a supply of fibre and nylon washers the right size for spacing spray bars. Let me know if you need some.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:02 PM
My Feedback: (133)

HELP!!!!!!! i'm looking for several head shims that would fit/work for vintage fox hawk .60 r/c engines. fox manuf. no longer have. push come to shove i guess i could make some but would rather buy new ones.