Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Great PLanes Pitts SU2 Crash Pics

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Great PLanes Pitts SU2 Crash Pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 04:57 PM
Combat Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great PLanes Pitts SU2 Crash Pics

By now it is, or should be.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:26 PM
SeacretsOceanCity

Well, did they pay? or what

<<Edit>> Advocating the deliberate destruction of another person's airplane is not acceptable on RCU.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:46 PM
Ducted Fan Dan
My Feedback: (2)

Test flights DO come with a guarantee - I guarantee I'm going to be there if it's my plane!!

What idiot thinks the owner of a beautiful plane wants it flown without the owner being there!

Use a little freakin' judgement.

Morons.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:52 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

So, has there been resolution yet [sm=confused.gif]
Old 10-14-2003, 02:57 PM
Ducted Fan Dan

haven't heard, just found the post today. Can't wait though!
Old 10-15-2003, 09:28 AM
PJC

Still Wondering...
Old 10-20-2003, 09:41 PM
shawn43068

Hey everyone! Thanks for your interest! Its a real bad thing that happened! I hope it never happens to anyone here.

Sorry, Its been so long since I posted...I didn't or am not giving up. Things are being worked out at this point we should have it wrapped up here real soon.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:20 PM
Miloh

Oh No!!!!!...... This is like a good book with the last page torn out. I've just spent the last two hours reading this thing to find no ending....... DAMIT MAN I hope you get your plane replaced. after reading all this I have to agree whit the general consensus. I've been flying for quite a long time and I do from time to time test fly new planes with the conditions fully understood. I have no control over the building or flying condition of your plane unless I built it so, you must agree to this if it goes in I will not be held responsible for it. do you understand these conditions and do you agree? if you are not here to agree it will not go up with me at the sticks!!!!! period. Therefore I would hold the pilot responsible 100%...but the builder led the pilot to believe it was ok? I would hold him responsible 100%...
This leaves enough responsibility to go around to have the plane replaced with some left over. lets face it any RC pilot or builder with any experience at all should know better that to take the risk.

This is my opinion

Miloh.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:26 PM
RC Havoc
My Feedback: (-1)

Please understand that my participation in this discussion is happening simply because I am the club contact person. I got an email from Shawn complaining about what happened. I was not at the field or involved in any way. So I suspect I'm about as impartial as it can get in this matter. I have spent some time this afternoon gathering information from Chuck (who was hired to build a Taylorcraft for Shawn AND asked to have it test-flighted by Shawn) and several other club members who were present at the field. Also understand that Shawn IS NOT a member of our club.

I have spoken with several people who were present when the untimely demise occurred. All are in agreement that pilot error while in flight WAS NOT a cause of what happened. The aircraft simply quit responding while in flight. Which means some component in the airplane or radio system failed. I understand there were 8 servos in the plane, and having an under-capacity battery that may not have been in peak shape could easily have been drawn down to the point of failure. Also, I understand that Shawn *did* have Chuck do a flight checkout for the Taylorcraft so it is not like there was no precedent for flying this one. As to Shawn's invitation to the flight, my understanding is that he is extremely difficult to get in touch with. Chuck was trying to do the right thing in getting the aircraft completed and delivered to Shawn. Seems like many little things compounded to have a significant event happen. It's real easy to look at things in hindsight and say they should have been done differently.

Test flights never come with guarantees! Sometimes the planes crash on the first flight regardless of who is at the controls. This is the nature of the hobby -- **** happens, deal with it and move on.

What Kinda Club wouldent want to help this guy out? Heres a simple solution, Have club fund raisers to get a new Pitts. If this pilot was so experianced, why wouldent he know to check the battery first. He would know that a 600 MAH wouldent hold up to 8 servos. You say its not pilot error, yet it is. All crashes are pilot error, even if the battery dies. Who else is going to check the battery? The pit crew? If you were a club devoted to the R/C industry, you wouldent worry about getting your extra money to install a new windsock but to get the guy a new kit. The pilot is pretty lucky he did get hurt after what he did to that pitts...
Old 10-21-2003, 06:02 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Shawn *did* have Chuck do a flight checkout for the Taylorcraft so it is not like there was no precedent for flying this one. As to Shawn's invitation to the flight, my understanding is that he is extremely difficult to get in touch with. Chuck was trying to do the right thing in getting the aircraft completed and delivered to Shawn.
RC Havoc,
I don't want to get into a pi@#ing match with anyone but didn't you just find out who the wrong party was. Just because shawn had him do a test flight on a previous craft he had built does not mean he had the permission for this one. Just because Shawn is hard to get ahold of does not mean that automatically gave him the permission to have the plane flown no matter what happened in the past. There is not precedent here, unless shawn said "Yes, fly my plane!" then he should have know bettter. The other thing that worries me is that if he was getting this plane ready for shawn why didn't the test pilot take off circle the runway to get it trimmed and land, but no, he had to try a bunch of aerobatic manuevers and crashed. After reading your post I can honestly and without doubt say chuck is clearly in the wrong and that is the way I and probably many others will see it and he should just pay for shawn's airplne.

Patrick.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:34 PM
RC Havoc
My Feedback: (-1)

Sirrom, I agree with you. I didnt write the first half of my post, I quoted it, it just didt say that.

This is What I wrote...

What Kinda Club wouldent want to help this guy out? Heres a simple solution, Have club fund raisers to get a new Pitts. If this pilot was so experianced, why wouldent he know to check the battery first. He would know that a 600 MAH wouldent hold up to 8 servos. You say its not pilot error, yet it is. All crashes are pilot error, even if the battery dies. Who else is going to check the battery? The pit crew? If you were a club devoted to the R/C industry, you wouldent worry about getting your extra money to install a new windsock but to get the guy a new kit. The pilot is pretty lucky he did get hurt after what he did to that pitts...
Old 10-22-2003, 08:19 PM
couchflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Shawn, sorry about your loss.

The pilot should check with his homeowners insurance policy to see if there is any coverage for you.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:21 PM
AcroJo

Bottom line. 1/3 scale Pitts, 8 servos 600mih battery. The builder knew it was there. Unless a trailer for transport was used the plane had to be assembled at the field. The battery is not hidden. Any pilot worth his salt will pre flight check any maiden aircraft before taking control. Even if the battery was fully charged the plane was sentenced to death by stupidity on the part of the builder and the pilot regardless how well he can handle a plane. Without common sense, talent is worthless. Time to seperate your money from theirs Shawn. I train and will not put myself through the anxiety of crashing someones plane because I did not have the sense to evaluate a planes integrity. Something these two jokers are definetly lacking. Good luck, Joe
Old 10-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I certainly hope Shawn is satisfied with whatever settlement is offered.

Now, how 'bout it. If Shawn asked you to build a plane for him, or maiden it.... would you? After reading this thread?

Not me!!

Dave Olson
Old 10-23-2003, 10:09 PM
Combat Addict

I think I would have to agree. If I ever fly someone elses plane, make sure of the rules ahead of time. Otherwise, the next thread, like this one, may turn into a rope, with over 6 pages!
Old 10-24-2003, 02:03 PM
Crashem

Now, how 'bout it. If Shawn asked you to build a plane for him, or maiden it.... would you? After reading this thread?

Not me!!

Dave Olson
The operative word in your sentence is ASKED something the builder and or pilot neglicted to do[8D] It doesn't take too many brain cells to figure out that if you maiden a plane without the owners explicit permission you will be held responsible.

And Dave Yes I would build A plane for him what I would NOT due under any circimstances is fly it without permission

Shawn,

Except no less the 100% compensation....
Old 10-25-2003, 12:26 PM
Miloh

I agree!! I would build for this guy and test fly if asked...WHY??? cause now I know exactly what to expect from shaun and what to make perfectly clear before the test flight, but if Shaun were not at the field I could not ask or clearify so...... I would not fly. No wrecked plane.

Miloh.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:09 AM
Edge 540

Hey guy's

Why can't everybody move on with their lives, and read other forum's.
It's unfortunate it had to happen, but gosh just drop it.

Edge 540

Quote - If, what, why, how, when!!! those are all issues that are involved in this hobby we are in. Instead of bickering about a forum, let's enjoy being in the hobby we love.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:27 PM
AcroJo

Edge, Greetings and welcome to the forums. The great thing about this is you have tha ability to choose which forums you would like to read / respond to. Democracy in action!
Old 10-28-2003, 01:22 PM
Crashem

Edge 540,

You wouldn't by chance know the gentlemen involved?????
Old 10-28-2003, 01:34 PM
AcroJo

Reynoldsburg to Snickers - 33.2 miles. A "Senior Cadet" with a small 4 stroke could probably fly that!
Old 10-28-2003, 02:11 PM
Crashem

Reynoldsburg to Snickers - 33.2 miles.
Thanks thats kinda what I thought
Old 10-31-2003, 12:24 AM
shawn43068

FINAL THOUGHTS!

Who hoooo! I'm going to pick up a new Pitts tomorrow+a brand new US Engines 42cc, a 18x10 PROP!

Everything else was pretty much salvagable? I will have to rebuild it but no biggie! I'm doing it myself this time! I will no longer buy planes and have them built!

I'm building me a table downstairs so I can get started on this right away. Thanks you all for your post.. Each and everyone of you have helped me through this with all the great advise. Most all of the messages are right in line with how we all think today. Thats great to know...

Oh, and if I did have anyone of you in here build a plane for me.... I would not expect anything, but what you would expect if I were building a plane for you. That includes not taking my plane or your plane out for a test drive without your or my permission. How simple is that?

If I was at the field and did ask you to fly my plane I would not expect if you crashed it to replace it being I ASKED YOU. Depending on the situation if you used your best judgement. Such as not doing loops 10' from the ground or anything obsurd! But if I did crash a plane for if you told me to fly or not I would CERTAINLY help you out anyway I could, and not just be like HERE...If you were new to the sport and lacked in building skills I would build the next one for you for free. Better yet teach you about planes! Lend you a plane of my own and get you flying until you get back up and running.

I'm wasn't out to hang anyone...Its pretty SAD you have to serve someone court papers to get there attention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Happy flying to you all! This is a great sport...Just stay clear of situations like this and you will be fine!

On the flip side I went to a swap meet and picked me up a 2nd plane for $300.00 its a built Sig Four Star 120 with a FS 120, Tower Hobbies servos!
I used the radio out of my Pitts it flies awesome!

Last Friday I flew for my first time in a year and a half and landed it after about 3 flights on the buddy box! My legs were shaking! Its a great!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42026.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	71332  
Old 10-31-2003, 12:57 AM
avngr1

I'm glad to hear you had a positive outcome to this situation. Happy flying!
Old 10-31-2003, 03:53 AM
SeaDog-RCU

Shawn,
I am happy to hear the situation was resolved, even if it took awhile. Enjoy your new Pitts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.