Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Mid-air this weekend. Anyone to balme??

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Mid-air this weekend. Anyone to balme??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:13 PM
longflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mid-air this weekend. Anyone to balme??

my thoughts.. it was an accident.. no one is at fault. just a couple messed up planes. as they say XXXX happens
Old 06-12-2007, 09:23 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I think there are two concepts being confused in this thread. Avoidability and Acceptability. I've been doing safety inspections for the Department of Energy for the past 17 years. One thing I have come to learn and understand is that ALL accidents are preventable. A mid air collision of model aircraft CAN be prevented by recognizing the inaccuracy of our depth perception, allowing sufficient margins between planes, and using spotters to help us know where other planes are.

Now comes the question of acceptability. Everyone has a different threshhold for acceptablity of the risk and the damage. For those that can suffer a mid-air collision and laugh, that's great. That doesn't mean everyone has to react similarly. If I were flying my plane on a course and speed that was clearly separated from another plane in the air, and the other plane suddenly changed course and collided with my plane, I think I'd be a little angry, and would be looking for an apology. I work very hard when I'm flying to avoid other planes, including asking other members to come over and spot for me if another pilot takes off. If I want to execute a maneuver, I make sure the airspace I'm flying into is clear. I think I owe it to the other pilots. If I see two pilots in the air, I'll walk over to the less experienced flyer and act as a spotter for him. If others don't show a similar respect for me, then I'll land and wait until they're done. Luckily our field is not so busy that we have more than two or three planes in the air at a time.

Brad
Old 06-13-2007, 04:14 PM
waydown2low

I'm sure everybody involved in radio controlled aircraft does everything they can to avoid another aircraft. But every accident is not preventable and will never be preventable, our head safety inspector at our office fell off a ladder and shattered his leg while painting his house, so I don't think your occupation has anything to do with actual safety. It is easy to avoid other aircraft if you are flying something like a cub or or trainer, the closing rate just isn't there. But Flying everything from Q-500 to 25 size trainers and having a midair I promise you that they are not preventable 100 percent. But, say whatever, there will always be people that say it was preventable but until they are in that situation they will never agree. And the guys at our club that get angry at this kind of situation are asked to leave so that the situation will not get worse and everybody has time to cool down. And I'm not slamming you about your opinion just the part about you getting angry bothers me, everyone has to remember that it is just a hobby and you just have to move on. I've seen grown men cry over losing their plane and makes everybody feel bad, but I want to shake them and say what did you think was going to happen if you flew it. If losing it is a problem, hang it from the ceiling and let father time slowly destroy it. Hope everybody has a great year of flying and no more mid-airs have a great season.

How did my plane just become confetti!!!![>:][:@][:'(][:-][&o][X(][8D]
Old 06-13-2007, 04:43 PM
2HI2C

Most people will apologize when something like this happens, It was an accident and is considered a nofault thing, Now I will say if someone is just tearing up the sky going against the grain & xways & so on (They have been & will be ask to leave the field before it does happen). Someone flying with the rest of the pack doing his thing & all the sudden there are 2 in the same spot (well get over it & go on). Since were on things that bother us. When no one is taking off or landing I like to make touch & go's or low passes over the runway then someone suddenly stops & hovers over the runway right in front of me Now That ticks me off [X(]. If you want to hover go to the chopper circle.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:54 AM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Idelbert, you crack me up.

Quote from context: (If I had a midair I would look at it as another challenge for me to bring the plane down in one piece without harming anyone.)

Which of the many pieces will you fly to the ground.??

Kidding asside, the lack of able spotters and communication have already been noted so leave that. I'm more on the war bird side now but I have had a couple Kaos's over the years as well as a lot of other pattern planes. When I fly the big war birds I try to fly with other warbirds and always have a capable spotter or I don't fly. I don't like flying with others who don't use spotters as these things are much more likely to happen. It's no fun losing a $4000 airplane when it could have been prevented. If I dumb thumb it that's tough , my fault, no tears, try to laugh. haha The other thing is mixing aircraft type. Warbirds and aerobatic planes just don't mix. Even though this appears to have happened in the fly zone across the runway (right??) Pattern guys can use a lot of space down the length of the runway and the warbird guys like to make sweeping low level passes. This invites crossing paths and %^$# midairs. I've come close a couple times even with good spotters and communication when there are 6-8 planes in the air. It seems to me that my 8 minutes in the air 3-4 times during an 8 hour day is not too much to ask to fly with other planes of similar type. The aero guys typically will fly as much as possible so how about sharing a little.?? Maybe a little fussy but when you have to listen to the "peanut gallery" in the background the whole time you are flying and hear how you muffed the Immelman and what a sloppy loop you just did, you can see where some of the animosity comes from. I surely don't even comment on what they do. Some of it is pretty cool. But just stirring the sticks to see what the plane will do doesn't strike me as skill.

The comment about the aero guys at one end of the field, warbird guys in the middle and the guests and others at the other end, each slightly contemptful of the others is all to common among fields.

I think part of it is the club's fault too. The busy clubs all have guide lines on where to fly and they are based on situations like this. It take one bad incident to make the club take a look at the operation and try to correct the problems. I don't mind flying where there are regulations, they are for everyones wellbeing.

(author stepped off soapbox)[sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 06-14-2007, 07:37 AM
venom290

When you go back, just tell them all it was my fault, no biggy.
venom
Old 06-14-2007, 08:14 AM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

You gotta have a sense of humor in this hobby.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44213.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	703900  
Old 06-16-2007, 12:52 AM
Wine Country Flyer
My Feedback: (5)

Oh Hell-Mid-Airs happen. When I was learning (still on the buddy box) I thought I had a close call. My instructor told me not to worry, mid-airs just don't happen. Well, I have proved him very wrong, indeed. In 7 years of flying, I have had 10, yep 10 mid-airs !!! I'd have to say that 3 of them really shouldn't count because 1 was during a pylon race, 1 was during combat and the other happened while three of us were trying to fly through a roll of toilet paper that was dropped from altitude for just that purpose !! In all cases it was just figured that "Oh well, that expiration date just showed up, sure was a nice plane, great looking crash, nobodys fault !!" The one with the heli was probably the most spectacular. Sounded like about 15 kids hitting a pinota all at once. Little pieces of my plane just filled the sky. The heli flew back over and landed without even a mark on his blades. A couple of the guys thought I might get a little mad, and being 6' 6" - 225 lbs. they came down to me and asked how I felt. Wanting to calm me down if needed. They were very glad to hear that I didn't feel it was anyones fault. $h!% happens, and that's all there is to it. Back to the drawing board, so to speak.
Fix that one or get another one and keep flying. No one is to balme for a mid-air. And that's my two cents worth.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:12 AM
reincarnate

Two words here fellas...shared risk. Think of all the accidents that occur on the highway (mid grounds?) with people sitting in their prized possession. While the chances of a mid air are statistically slim, bearing in mind the size of the airspace compared to the size of the model, Murphy will invariably step in and introduce you to his famed law. Besides, who needs another airplane to crash into when there is all that wonderful dirt out there!
Old 06-17-2007, 07:07 AM
jetmech05

Since we have brought cars as a compairison...try this your driving along in the center lane of a three lane road (6 lanes altogether).
the front of your car is even with the back of the drivers door on the car to your right. suddendly without any warning he makes a hard left turn........
Mid airs might not be avoidable but you sure can reduce the risk of having one.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:05 AM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly pattern and we unfortunately see mid airs occur regularly at our contests.
We have callers standing right with us, at least two judges right behind us, and
many, many people watching each flight. These things just happen and all the
spotters in the world aren't going to stop them, things happen too fast. It's no
ones fault unless one person is flying recklessly in and out of the flight area and
in that case who ever is in charge of the field should stop him from flying. The
only way to avoid mid airs completely is to not fly. I don't think Mr "kaos" did
any thing wrong by just pulling up into a vertical line, that's just part of flying and
is done by everyone at one time or another.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:33 AM
fjaust

ORIGINAL: RC MANIAC119

And finally, I do apologize for missing the part where you walked down there. It was a rather confusing explanation of the facts...pilot A did this....Pilot B did that..........it was a litle hard to understand.
If it was such a confusing explanation why did you bother responding to something that you didn't understand?

bad luck on the mid-air. those types of accidents happen from time to time and in my mind they are mostly unavoidable, as is your case by the sounds of it. Chalk it up as a learning experience and move on, I really wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

The best one I have seen in my short time in this sport is when a club member was hovering a home-made foamy in the middle of the runway. Someone came screaming through doing a fast low pass up the strip and BAM!!! The poor foamy didn't stand, it literally exploded on impact. Little bits of foam were still floating around minutes after impact. The other plane, which was in the 60 size 2 stroke class I think, landed with minimal damage. They both laughed it off, shook hands, took photos for the newsletter and got on with flying (with another plane of course ) That's the way it should be unless it's a sheer act of stupidity that causes the accident.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:15 AM
CGRetired

Tommy-S has it right on. These things happen no matter what you try to do to avoid them. That's part of the sport/hobby. The only way to avoid it is not to fly or fly alone, simple as that.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:01 PM
cubflyer1

Well I just happened to have had my first midair on Sunday. I was flying a Great Planes PT-17 Stearman and my friend was flying his Extreme Flight Edge. He was up first and then I told him I was taking off. After 5 minutes of flying it happened, I was coming from the right and he was flying straight away from just doing some low 3D. Bam we hit, happened too fast to react! We both managed to land however I did win that one. I ended up with a hole in the leading edge and his was held together by monokote, all fractured up. As for spotters, who has those, there were 3 of us at the field 2 of us flying 1 working on his bird in the pits. Maybe we are lucky at our club, cause if you have 3 or 4 at the field at one time thats a crowd. Mid Airs happen, you can't get pissed off, just pick up the pieces and go on. We jumped in my truck, went to McDonalds had lunch went back and flew other birds we had brought. Anger over a mid-air get a grip, thats like getting hit by a golf ball even if nobody yells fore. You assume some risk when you partake in these types of activities. If you are not willing to accept the risks then stay home in a padded room where nothing could happen!!!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:47 AM
l.wilber
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: bkdavy

Since you asked for opinions, here's mine.

Membership status is irrelevant. You were flying, and had permission to do so.

The P-40 also had permission to fly.

As to the collision, the P-40, by your description, was flying essentially a constant course and speed. You on the other hand made a drastic change in course and speed with the vertical maneuver. Since you made the change in course and speed, it is your responsibility to ensure that the airspace you are maneuvering into is clear. Consequently, you were at fault. Had the situation been both planes flying constant course and speed from opposite ends of the field, fault would be equally shared.

Might I suggest that if you're going to be flying pattern maneuvers with multiple planes in the air, you really should employ a spotter to help you identify other planes. Talk with the spotter and announce your intended maneuvers before you make them. Allow them to help you identify if its unsafe.

I know that many flyers believe collisions in open air are an unavoidable risk, but I disagree with that mentality. I believe every pilot has a responsibility to everything in their power to avoid mid air collisions. For example, it would be good for clubs to adopt a standard practice that if two planes are approaching from opposite ends, the pilots should both break to the right to avoid collisions.

Brad

Employ a spotter??? Sorry this is a little extreme. I've been flying since the early eighties and I've seen all kinds of mid-airs. I've seen everthing from gliders, heli's and even large scale and ducted fans try to occupy the same airspace at the same time. If as stated above the piloting wasn't wreckless and the incident was truely an accident. Then both parties should go on about their business and start their next project. As for an apology well I'm not sure that is required but a "Gee hope It's not a total loss" might smooth over some ruffled feathers. Basically the only issue I see is the fact that some yahoos have a field and when someone shows up to fly as a pay per day flyer one would think they should welcome them with open arms and try to obtain another member. If it's a closed membership type of situation, then why offer pay per day at all.. Nope I don't see any pilot issues period, member or not.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:18 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Mid-airs happen , it`s just part of the hobby. Neither party has done wrong, and trying to find blame does nothing but make a bad situation worse. Best to move on and let Murphy have his.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:47 AM
CGRetired

Wilber and Moon doggie are totally on the mark. I've said it before and I'll say it again. There was no blame. Things happen and that's about it. As for an apology.. well, that implies guilt and there was no guilt. As Wilber said, maybe a 'Gee, I hope its not a total loss' because both pilots suffered a loss.. move on and build and drop it. It is not worth starting WW-III over, that's for sure.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:10 AM
rc3dprodigy
Banned

agreed. we had some guy come out to are field with a little parkzone striker. and kept geting hit. yet he still flew. he then blamed me and a few other mems for shooting him down.
then the next weekend he was up in the air trying to hit others planes. he was banned from the field for life. so glad i wasnt flying when he was. i might have axcidently killed him.
scott
Old 06-19-2007, 06:36 AM
Spoiler

ORIGINAL: edh13

Hey I asked for opinions and all are welcome.

A little more clarification and history:
I’ve been flying for about 35 years on and off at various club sites any very busy rogue sites. Only had one other mid-air about 15 years ago when I sheared my Super Sportster’s wing off on a Eagle’s main gear. My plane hadn’t even hit the dirt yet and I was going over to help the guy with the Eagle. The whole time I was landing it for him I had to listen to he and the Field Commandant tell me what a jerk I was for hitting his plane. I was doing aerobatics and he was doing high orbits building time. I kept my mouth shut and packed up my pieces. He was flying again right after the epoxy (I gave him) hardened. I see where that mid-air the blame could have ridden more with me. He was inexperienced flying in circles and the hotshot jerk came and ran him over (under). I think I did offer an apology although their attitude bugged me.
And for this reason:
This hasn’t been brought up yet and it may not mean much but in both cases I was up first and for quite awhile doing nothing but fast, large, pattern type aerobatics. In fact in yesterdays case there were two of us up there trying to out do each other. The P-40 guy just like the Eagle guy figured it was safe enough to put his airplane up there in the middle of it.
I was aware of the 3rd plane in the air in fact I even knew it was the P-40. I caught glimpses of him and like everyone else does, “listened” to his position and tried to generally avoid it. But I have always avoided other acft by adjusting altitude not course. The “always turn right” method is fatally flawed and just silly. With model acft depth perception isn’t such that you would be able tell which plane is in front of the other. You could both turn “right” INTO each other. Sounds like a couple people have basically said the plane that had the last control input is at fault. So does that mean if you don’t move the controls during an impending mid-air you can never be blamed? Or since I pulled vertical I’m at fault. So this means the closer your nose is to level the less at fault you would be? I’m not sure what the P-40 was doing just prior to the crash. So I could only fairly report what I saw the split second before the hit. He could very well have just pulled level from a dive or been doing aileron rolls I don’t know. He could have changed his course to avoid me or not. I can’t say, so I won’t. I routinely push or pull elevator to avoid other acft. I didn’t do anything yesterday it happened too fast.
I guess my opinion boils down to; Regardless of the guy flying “aerobatics” and hitting the “straight and level” guy or the “straight and level” guy flying into the guy doing “aerobatics” neither of them thought they were going to hit each other and neither of them took the proper evasive action. And although it was hard to swallow neither of us outwardly blamed the other. It’s just a big air box out there shared by a few model planes. If all parties are doing what is allowed, I find it odd that someone would take a position one way or the other. But it seems to be also reflected in a few of these replies.

RC maniac – Uh…. I’m I to believe that I’m being admonished for a lack of manners by a member of the Profile Brotherhood? Crazy World….

1) No spotters are required for sport flying and are rarely used. I don’t know if the P-40 guy had one, if he did it didn’t help.
2) Yes…
A and B are the same thing and don’t deserve a response.

The only thing my gut told me was, it was lunchtime.

In your hurry to accuse, you skipped the part where it said I came down to his end of the pits to offer some words of concern over his loss of a nice P-40. A move that was not reciprocated. The P-40 guy and I talked a couple times post-crash actually. Myself and my 8 year old (a big WWII acft nut) were down there looking at it and talking to the guy pre-crash. I didn’t mention this earlier, but I didn’t think I would need to defend my character either, until "RC manners119" piped in.
I am with you on this one. My rather pretty Mike Goulian (old scheme) 50 size GP Cap 232 which I built from the kit about 3 years ago, was very badly damaged last weekend. It was a funny sort of day. Beautiful weather for winter down here, no wind and sunny, so we were up in teh air quite late with teh winter sun messing with our usual flight pattern. I took off and flew 2 or so circuits and then joined another member flying accross the runway away from teh setting sun. I should have been warned as he likes to fly fast yank and bank stuff while I am usually trying practisng harriers, tumbles, spins and so on, so a dangerous place to be. I noted his position and joined his pattern in the same direction many meters below him. I was going styraight and level. He also did what you did, suddenly changed direction and hit me from above with a 4*60. Masive impact ahead of the canopy with his right wing. My plane stayed toegether and almost flew! His was confetti with engine damage. I came off more lightly and will do a rebuild. He is unlikely to.

The circumstances I mentioned contributed to this accident. I can't blame him. Nobody flies with spotters and I knew he was flying fast yank and bank stuff. Just one of thpose things, so all the crud about blaming the perosn who changed line is nonsense. We fly from a distance and can't judge proximity at all. Its a risk of the hobby I have learned to deal with with dificulty and usually try and fly only when i have relatively open sky. if its gets too crowded or theres a cowboy out there, I land. I have had 5 mid airs, 2 at the slope. It happens!

Old 06-19-2007, 06:40 AM
Spoiler

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Wilber and Moon doggie are totally on the mark. I've said it before and I'll say it again. There was no blame. Things happen and that's about it. As for an apology.. well, that implies guilt and there was no guilt. As Wilber said, maybe a 'Gee, I hope its not a total loss' because both pilots suffered a loss.. move on and build and drop it. It is not worth starting WW-III over, that's for sure.
Quite right - but nothing wrong with expressing concern or being sorry about the loss of a model.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:34 AM
flybug

I think the issue here is that some modelers fall in love with their models and it is hard for them to accept a lost - but heck mid-airs happen it is sad if it involves your precious pride but hey they happen and if no intention was in it the blame is shared and we pull out our plastic bag pick the pieces out and move on. No fault no blame.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:39 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

If you ain't crashing, you ain't flying! Just part of the hobby, relax and move on.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Lynner532

This thread has inspired me... to change my signature
Old 07-02-2007, 12:22 AM
busted2props
My Feedback: (9)

Ahh c'mon now! I've been flying since 1976, never had a midair and have only witnessed one! All of you need to get off of your high horse and just fly! There is no blame for a midair. No depth pereception, as you are not in the cockpit! Get over it, it is a fact of life. Now, get angry with me and go out and try to have a midair! JUST AIN"T HAPPENING!!! Better yet, come fly with me and try to have a midair. Hmm!!! Best wishes to all.
Busted
Old 07-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Gary L.

I've seen one midair, a big hellcat and a small 3D, about 6 planes up.
The 3D guy was going oppisit(sp) the pattern, hit the hellcat, the hellcat exploded
and the 3D got a 3in tear the the covering.
Never would have guessed that....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.