Community
Search
Notices
Digital Camera & Photo Editing Discuss digital cameras in this forum. Products, comparisons, usage, tips for getting your rc photos on the web. Software photo editing and touch up tips.

How many pics?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:28 AM
skeeter_ca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many pics?

Just how many pics will a 4gb memory card hold at 10mp?

skeeter
Old 08-27-2009, 07:55 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: How many pics?

I use 8 GB cards in my Nikon D60, and on the second highest quality setting (with picture sizes of 3-5 mb each) I can get around 2,000-2,400 pictures. So you should get approximately half of that. But that's hard to predict because the quality settings of the pictures you are taking will determine how many you can get. The higher quality pictures mean larger file sizes which mean less pictures on the card.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 08-27-2009, 09:07 AM
skeeter_ca

If memory was not an issue would it be best to take pictures at the highest quality and then use your computer to resize as needed?

skeeter
Old 08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
OzyDave

Yes indeed that would be the best plan. Also refrain from using digital zoom as that can also be achieved on the computer when editing. In answer to your first question, Ken is correct about the quality affecting the size of the image file. Also the camera may have settings to save as different file types. Different file types have different compression algorithms. You might have seen what happens on your computer when you save a bitmap (.bmp) file as a jpeg (.jpg). The jpeg may be half or even smaller than the bmp file. Another attribute affecting file size is the complexity of the image. Take a photo of a clear blue sky and a photo of a heavily textured surface, say lawn. The image sizes will vary greatly due to the complexity of the image.
I have a 10 mega pixel camera and most photos are around 3mb in file size. On a 4gb card (which is 4,096mb) I could fit 1365 images.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:07 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: skeeter_ca

If memory was not an issue would it be best to take pictures at the highest quality and then use your computer to resize as needed?

skeeter
Yes, always save at the highest you can get. I use this as a guide line, "It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it." Applying this to pictures, you can always decrease down from a high quality picture, but you can't increase a low quality picture no matter what you do.

Ken