Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 07:45 PM
scottslc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

What a quiet group we've been lately. Whos have fun flying???

Scott

(latest Vid)
http://www.slcity.com/df/ridgepoint.wmv
Old 10-27-2005, 05:09 PM
thecheatscalc

oh man that's nice. I'm DEFINATLY getting a cam for my heli, got quite a few houses that are going for sale around me, and this would be A great way to earn a few bucks. I'm betting the realitors just paid you 40 bucks to do that right?

Ok some questions on the cam. how far does one of these go, usually? and if you sit infront of a laptop while filming/LCD screen and make it First person mode, will it affect the quality and/or range? and how does location to the electronics/heli antenna affect the view? thanks, this looks fun!
Old 10-27-2005, 07:05 PM
scottslc

It is fun, and let me tell you, beats working...

$40.00? Nah. You won't make any money at $40.00 and Realtors won't take you seriously. I'm currently charging in the $200.00 range for a 2 min. video. $100.00/min of finished video. After I get a decent portfolio, I'll go after some bigger projects for more money. I think the target market are housing developments rather than individual homes. You can charge more because the Realtor will defray the cost between more homes and you have more room to spread out and fly giving you better videos. Little yards are tuff to photograph. Another reason for developments, I get better video. The eyecam uses the same 2.8 gz freq as cordless phones and wireless Internet bases. You can see this from time to time in my videos. New developments usually don't have existing homes with these devices so my video is more clear. Another fun tip. I put all my gear (antenna, receiver, battery, dv camcorder in a pocketed fishing vest so I carry it with me when i'm flying rather than having a base station that has to be moved as the flyer does it's thing. This way I keep the antenna close to the flyer and minimize the interference.

Keep in mind you need the proper software. I have been using windows movie maker (free) with steady hand software (http://www.goodervideo.com) to smooth out the rough spots. I just purchased adobe premiere pro 1.5 which has the steady move plug in for getting rid of the jitters. I think it's a better plug in and it's the one rctoys recommends.

I'm lucky because I work in real estate and have the contacts. Part of my marketing plan is to look online at developers web sites to see who could use this video. From there, put together a cd to drop by their office as well as emailing them links to existing videos. I don't want to develop their web sites, just give them new content for their existing sites.

My problem is I still have a big fear of heights. I see the flyer way up there and break out in cold sweats sometimes. Hopefully I'm getting better though.

Hope this helps.
Best, Scott
Old 10-30-2005, 02:27 AM
fmorestin

ORIGINAL: scottslc

What a quiet group we've been lately. Whos have fun flying???

Scott

(latest Vid)
http://www.slcity.com/df/ridgepoint.wmv
Nice video, Scott, (as usual [8D]). Do you use an eyecam extrem ?
Old 10-31-2005, 09:58 PM
scottslc

Hey fmorestin, Thanks. I use the Eyecam extreme. I think it produces great video. I do get breakup sometimes from interference. Oh well...
Old 11-02-2005, 03:33 AM
roxyboby

hey scott.
tell me which camcorder do u use to capture your remarkable shots. I have a JVC mini-dv camcorder but the cable which comes out the eyecam extreme reciever does not seem to fit in. I can only connect it to my Television and watch the video transmitted by the eyecam. How do u connect yours??

rgds
Old 11-03-2005, 11:52 AM
scottslc

I use a Canon ZR50 mini dv recorder. It has a cable that plugs directly into the eyecam receiver. I've wondered if different cameras (say digital vs tape) would give better video. Tapes? I wish i had something smaller. I fly with the camera hanging around my neck...

Scott
Old 11-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

Not to change the subject but I just got my Dragonflyer V Ti Pro yesterday and am having little trouble getting the hang of flying it man I have a Hirobo Freya 60 and a JR Voyager E but they are cake to fly next to this,is it easier to learn how to fly it with the Ti on or off I really do not want to get dependent on the Ti because it cannot be used indoors and I want to be able to control it with out the Ti but right now that is a hand full.Any suggestions would be great from the pilots that have had this for a while,but man is this a great machine I cannot believe what I have been missing by messing with the regular heli's,they are no fun at all compared to this. My Dragonflyer V Ti Pro.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98556.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	348191  
Old 11-03-2005, 10:47 PM
bnv

Welcome to the DF club!

Yes it does take some practice to hover and then fly the DF

Some misc tips:.

1. Keep it balanced - place battery in the center of tray - verify by holding DF with one finger on each hand on center of motor arms and check both axis for good battery placement balance.
2. Trimmed - Start throttle slowly and increase speed until just about to lift off - DF should lifting equally off each foot and starting to go fairly straight up - adj directional trims as needed.
3. Surface -- some have found it easier to start from a carpet vs hard floor - less sliding around.
4. Check DF Gyro Functions --- hold DF by bottom give a little throttle and you should feel motors respond by adjusting their speed to any tilting you do.
5. Blades and Motor Direction --- double check blades are mounted directionaly correct and engines are tuning correct direction ( one of my motors was wired backwards from the factory)
6.Level the Motors -- I use a small bubble level to check that the motors are level in all directions (this makes big difference in trimming)
7. Blade balance -- this is not critical at first, but later on once you get good, sanding an balancing the blades helps a lot.
8. Practice Hover at 2 feet or more -- you often need to hover a few feet high to minimize the ground effect. Some times a quick bump on the throttle to jump up and then back off fast works for beginners.
9. Trainer Tether Power Cord -- Buy or make a power trainer cord -- this helps from getting the DF to far away with a mistake - ie into the wall or ceiling. Note - When using tether, tape the power cord to the rear leg so not to stress the plug connector on the DF
10. Training Wheels -- I used Styrofoam or ping pong balls stuck on each foot to minimize the hard landings for learning -- this can make it hard to take off though because it is easier to slide around.
11. Set kitchen timer to 15 minutes to let engines cool while practicing in doors
12 Don’t bother put decals on your first set if blades - they will be toast soon -- maybe front/yellow only.
13..Order extra blades from Spectrolutions ASAP http://www.spectrolutions.com/
14. Order extra screws:
a. 2-56 x 3/8 hex socket cap - bolt
b. #2-56 3/16 x 1/16 hexagon nuts
c. #4-40 x 3/8 nylon - for rotors
15. You are very correct learning to fly with out TI mode first. Even as semi expierienced I alternate between modes to stay sharp.
16. Outside Conditions - Very low or no wind during learning phase.
17 DF Orientation - This is very critical for beginner - use orange florescent tape for back of battery, back half of bottom of battery plate, back of rear legs, strip on rear motor, wrap rear motor arm, rear training wheel, etc. Flywith orange facing you (the rear) at all times to start with.

I am sure others will have more tips.

You will enjoy the DF and please keep us posted of your progress.

B

Old 11-04-2005, 02:39 AM
roxyboby

welcome to the DF club. I got mine last month with no prior RF flying experience. After replacing one set of rotors I must say that I have improved on the controls quiet a bit. I tried flying it outdoors once and the winds carried my little DF and dumped it in the grass Upsite down!! - one broken rotor. These days I only fly it indoors and go up to 8 feet within an area of 6" x 6". Trying to master it indoors before I can swim in the oceans. I think it's a bit difficult to fly because it's difficult to differenciate the front from the rear. At no point can we take our eyes off (At least not for us beginners), the Df, cause if I do that then it's a sure crash for me. But I guess nothing can replace PRACTICE!!!!!!

Have Fun!!!
Old 11-04-2005, 09:41 AM
Moe3754
Banned

Thanks guys it is great to be here,does anyone here know the wire size of the Trainer Tether Power Cord I want to make one but need wire size? and thanks for the Spectrolutions link I did not know about them at all.Again thanks my friends and fellow DF Pilots.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:12 PM
draganflylarva

Hey SgtBilko, you mentioned a long while back (p. 46) that you got a hugh bag of nylon rotor screws from www.fastener-express.com, I was just wondering what size and type are the kind the draganflyer uses

thanks heaps
Old 11-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Moe3754
Banned

Man this thread is so long they should give the DF pilots our own forum we could keep it going and it would be the first on the web. How about it RCU Mods???Other wise I can see this going for at least 100 pages or more.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:33 PM
SgtBilko

ORIGINAL: draganflylarva

Hey SgtBilko, you mentioned a long while back (p. 46) that you got a hugh bag of nylon rotor screws from www.fastener-express.com, I was just wondering what size and type are the kind the draganflyer uses

thanks heaps
Hi there draganflylarva (catchy name [X(]) here ya go

Old 11-04-2005, 05:36 PM
scottslc

Why should this thread ever end? One thing I enjoy when the weathers bad is to head for the nearest gym. It's a great place to practice indoor flying skills. I like to hover about a food off the ground and scoot around the smooth floor. I'm easily amused. I have the tether, but to be honest, I didn't find it that useful.

Best, Scott
latest project.
http://www.slcity.com/df/hlake.wmv
Old 11-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Moe3754
Banned

It would be nice to find a gym but there are no gym's that are that easy to get in to or you have to rent it to use it,I don't care if the thread ever ends but it would be nice to have our own space where we could start many different threads,as for the tether I would like to have it because I have to fly in small spaces and longer time with a larger battery would be nice.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:34 AM
markjester

I don't know about you all but we have Lowe's Hardware stores here and they carry a lot stuff like:

The nylon rotor screws, the nylon acorn nuts for the battery tray and the lock washers for underneath the acorn nuts. You can get the fuses from any auto supply place.

Just my two cents...

And remember: It is hard to soar like an eagle when you work with turkeys! No, this has nothing to do with draganflyers. It just slipped out... See ya.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:20 AM
davidtkal
My Feedback: (1)

Has anyone talked to Mike at Spectrolutions lately? He never replyed to my e-mail and all I get is his voicemail. He told me that he was moving the business to a larger facility, and I wonder if he doing that now. I still have an issue with my repaired board and I need an answer. Inquiring minds would like to know?
Old 11-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Moe3754
Banned

I tried to call them yesterday and all I got was voice mail after five tries I gave up.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:58 PM
markjester

May I make a confession? At one time, actually until today, I have been a draganfly pilot. But after sending my board to Mike over and over and over again (literally) I have given up on it. When I got it back this time it flew perfectly, for one day. Then for some reason the receiver crystal on the circuit board was loose from maybe being worked on. Anyway, the last time I sent it in it was a roll gyro, the next time it was a yaw gyro. The time before that it was the connection between both boards. It goes on and on and on. And I would say that I good pilot. No crashes to make all this occur. I could see if I were crashing it from like a hundred feet up things would be breaking. There is no reason for these failures other than design or manufacturing. I finally had spent so much time sending this thing back and forth I gave up. Literally I have been having less than stellar experiences with this technology for over a year. And like you, Mike's interaction with us is almost non-existant. A simple question of "Hey Mike, what did they find wrong with my board" goes unanswered. Rounding off, a thousand dollars a pop for the popular toy is too much not to have perfect interaction from the repair place.

I have every confidence in Mike and his crew. It troubles me that so many of us know him on an almost personal level. Personally I would have been much happier just flying this thing without sending it to him. Literally it has been back there at least 6 times. I finally put it on Ebay and sold it yesterday for half of what it cost. Past experience tells me that you should keep bugging those guys til you get a hold of them. Good Luck
Old 11-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Moe3754
Banned

Why would you not call Canada where you got it from and complain after all it is their name on it and they have to back it also why mess with the service when you can call the person who has his name on it.That is why I have been buying all of my stuff from them.They are really great people to deal with and if there is a problem I would bet that they would have looked into it.I never even knew about Spectrolutions until I read it here and from what I gather I will not bother with them but go right to the source in Canada.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Moe3754
Banned

I just got off the phone with Dragonflyer in Canada and the owners name is Zenon Dragon who was not there today but will be told of the problem and could possibly even post here after he finds out about it on Monday,they have the thread and the forum name.Maybe we can get something done and help people out.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:11 PM
SgtBilko

Hi Markjester, I am so sorry to hear you sold your Flyer and have given up on them. I can't say I blame you, from what you indicate you have had more repair time than fly time. I have two DF5s now and have had every prior DF they made all the way back. One of my DF5s is an upgrade from a DF4 the other was a complete new DF5 I got a huge eBay deal on by luck/accident. The first ones were junk, maybe one flight, one crash, one repair, one more flight and toast. My DF4 I got a lot of flights out of, and had it back to Spectrolutions twice. Of my DF5s I have had one back three times, the other back twice, all for gyro failures. I fly one or the other 2-3 times a week, maybe just short basement hovers, maybe outside in the back yard, and I have had good luck this summer and fall. So apparently some of the boards hold up and others are jinxed I guess. I have talked to Mike maybe 3 times, always had good luck with him, and he has been more than fair on fixing my boards giving me the benefit of the doubt if there was a crack or a suspected injury failure as opposed to production failure. The exact deal with Spectrolutions and RCToys is not clear to me, but RCToys is the distributor, they don't repair them, they don't manufacture them, they are the exclusive distributor for the Flyer is my understanding. Mike aka Spectrolutions is on the design end of things and they are the official repair center for the Flyer as far as I know, and the only USA center for sure. Trying to go through Canda with these things is a total waste. Go right to Spectrolutions. If they are not answering emails and phonecalls then that is a new problem. I don't even call them anymore with a typical Flyer failure, I box it up, put a letter in the box identifying the problem, send it off, it's always back in a 10-14 days sometimes with a note about what was wrong often with no information but always works again out-of-the-box. Once they just sent me an entirely new DF5 board after I had to send in the same bad board twice, again no trauma just board failure. So my experiences overall have been mostly good. I have lights on mine, various cameras, fooled with the wiring, redid the battery connectors etc, still quite reliable overall. So for those reading the Flyer trials/error/woes I agree $1000 bucks a pop is a huge toy expenditure especially if you get a defective or constantly under repair product. For me, I'm happy, I've had good luck, I send 'em in if they fail, Spectrolutions fixes them and sends them back, overall the process works for me. I sure hope whatever is going on gets sorted out, they have a fantastric but expensive toy in the Flyer, and everybody that has one knows what I mean when I say when it works, man it WORKS. Dark, cloud, windy, gloomy today here in Iowa, going down to the basement to hover a bit
Old 11-05-2005, 04:03 PM
markjester

It is a well-known fact that RC Toys is actually the distributor for this airplane. Early on, I wanted to send it to them for repair. Do you know what address they gave me? Yup, Spectrolutions. When I have talked to RC Toys in the past they indicated they sell, not fix the flyer. And I could send it over and over to Spectrolutions but at 55.00 a trip for each couple of hours of flying is not worth it. As I said before, it was flying perfectly. It landed perfectly because it flew perfectly. No bone jarring crashes or anything. Again, I think when the repaired it this last time they must have bumped the receive crystal.

I cannot in clear conscience fly for a couple of battery packs worth (call it 20-30min) of flight and then take it apart, take it to the post office, waited for it to be delivered to Spectolutions, wait for it to be repaired and then wait for it to come back here to Denver. So for that 1/2 to an hour flight it takes three weeks to recover it back to where it was.

Don't get me wrong, I support each and every one of you and your decision to keep plugging away at this thing. There was one guy on here a while back called dog something. All he did was cut down the flyer and list a hundred reasons to not buy this aircraft. I would never do that. You guys are my people because I was part of this group of pilots that shared common woes, excitement, trepidation, etc. I shared my humble knowledge with you.

You all have be great to me. I am ashamed of being a quitter with this thing. But, after almost a year of fighting it, I have grown weary and frustrated. With your permission, I would like to monitor this thread and offer my experience and suggestions when topics come up that I can help with.

Head hung low.... Then a sigh of relief.

Thanks

Mark
Old 11-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Moe3754
Banned

I am so sorry that you had these problems man I hope I did not buy in a bad deal,I have had many heli's but this one really is the most fun and now I am really having my doubts I have given mine a little rough landing treatment but it seems to be doing fine and all is working but then again I have only flew it twice,the weather as you know has really been bad here and I am a little hesitant to fly in much wind,not as heavy as my Nitro.I really would like to get the help from you,me being a noob with this flyer and all,maybe even come to Denver and have you show me a couple of things with it would be nice,as they say having a experienced pilot set up your bird is the best way to go about it,if you would not mind helping out a new pilot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.