Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
 CX2 Flybar & Weight Options (pic) >

CX2 Flybar & Weight Options (pic)

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

CX2 Flybar & Weight Options (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CX2 Flybar & Weight Options (pic)

One of the many upgrades that CX2 owners add to their helis is a custom, or alternate flybar. The stock E-flite flybar affords excellent hover stability but performs poorly for long runs of forward flight. A better option for improved forward flight is a shorter length flybar with some combination of weights to give the desired flight characteristics.

As an alternative to the stock E-flite flybar, many find the stock Dynam Vortex flybar a good compromise of stability and improved forward flight. Another option is a custom built flybar like the one forum regular, "Goldslinger" designed. Goldslinger's flybar uses 1.5mm (.060" ) Carbon Fiber (CF) rod glued into a center hub from "Xtreme Products". Goldslinger's custom CF/Xtreme flybar is very durable and will not bend (but could break) in a crash. The other advantage to this "home built" flybar is very light weight which lets the pilot use sliding weights to achieve the best flight performance.

Here are the three most common flybar arrangments that CX2 owners use on their helis. As you can see, there are any number of length and weight combinations available for experimentation.

Here is a photo of my CX2 with the Goldslinger custom CF/Xtreme flybar and weights installed. My heli exhibits the best of both worlds with this flybar. It has excellent forward flight characteristics, and is still very stable in hover and in ground effect[8D]
Old 01-30-2008, 07:22 AM

Default RE: CX2 Flybar & Weight Options (pic)

RMG2, many thanks for the Post. It has proved educational, and with the help of the excellent Pics, helps to explain the differences between the number of Flybars that people talk about, that they fit to their CX2.

Have to say I love the look of Goldslingers flybar, as per your Heli pic above - SO COOL (and very functional)

Where can I pickup one of Goldslingers Flybars? They are defo the way forward!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:02 AM

Excellent post on the differences between. I currently took my stock Eflite bar and just cut it to 7". I am using one wheel collar on each side. Makes it much much lighter. I find that it is stable and still moves forward very easily.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:15 PM

Very well done. I still flying with my "Solobosses" flybar, its been a very durable combo of a CF tube slid over a stock bar.
You can just tell in the pictures that the "Goldslinger's" looks the straitest.
I hope you don't mind but i'm posting up his link on how to make one.

Goldslinger’s Carbon Fiber Flybar
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6626959/tm.htm
Old 01-30-2008, 01:38 PM

Good post. Bravo!
Old 01-30-2008, 05:25 PM

I gotta tell ya, I absolutely love this Goldslinger CF flybar! I've been flying and adjusting the sliding collars (shown in photo above) to find that "sweet spot" and I am so impressed with the felt affect by moving the collars to different locations along the bar!

If you bothered to do the math and looked at my bar/weight arrangement you would see that my Goldslinger CF flybar weighs exactly the same as the stock Dynam Vortex with stock DV weights. The difference between the two is the CF bar is so much lighter than the steel units it affords the use of multiple weights and the ability to alter weight distribution to really fine tune your preferred flight characteristics! I have my CX2 flying like a pylon racer with it's forward flight ability and loving it!

I'm not gonna lie to anyone about this flybar testing. If you build a flybar that allows your heli to REALLY excel at forward flight you will give up solid hover, and ground effect stability. Don't let that stop you from building, or experimenting with other flybars because the nice thing about an adjustable design is you can tune it to meet your personal needs[8D] I say the above with confidense as we have two CX2's at my house and my son's is bone stock except for Boomtown skids so I have an opportunity to check all changes to my CX2 against the stock unit.

If my son and I raced pylon around the living room I would smoke him, but if we competed for solid hover, and best control in ground effect he would beat me hands down!

Build the Goldslinger CF/Xtreme flybar, or at least try the Dynam Vortex bar, you won't be dissapointed[8D]
Old 01-31-2008, 11:33 PM
Banned

uncensored posts at cyrohobby.com
Old 02-04-2008, 09:51 AM

RMG2, sorry to pull your thread BTTT, but would you happen to know where I can 'acquire' a couple of the Dynam Vortex flybar collets ?
Custom Flybar is definately the way forward, and as you state, with the smaller ' inner ' flybar weights, you can customise to your hearts content

I've searched all the usual channels, Flea-Bay, Google etc. All that I understand is they might have been "donated" from another model Chopper - Dynam Vortex?

Thankyou in advance,
Old 08-15-2008, 07:33 PM

Hey, Gang !

Came across this post and thanks for the Credit !

I just want to tell You all that Michael at USHOBBYSUPPLY.COM has My flybars for those Who don't have the tools, time, etc. to make their own.

When You add up the price of individual parts, These aren't much more and are ready to go ! He paid Me a piece rate for My labor and supplied all the parts to keep the costs down.

I'm thinking about getting some Titanium inner shafts going; I have 4 CX-S and STILL haven't bent an inner shaft yet (flying indoors).

Thanks again and I'm back like a bad habit ! !

Gary
Old 08-15-2008, 08:25 PM

I'm thinking about getting some Titanium inner shafts going; I have 4 CX-S and STILL haven't bent an inner shaft yet (flying indoors).

Gary ~

When I took my 5 month rest from the RC scene and came back with a vengeance to rattle the forums again, I refreshed myself with a lot of things. One thing was that I discovered that you now put out your exclusive flybar and it didn't surprise me one bit. Back in our earlier days I remember a lot of the experimentation that we all did, and you always stuckout in my mind for one to "think outside the box"... Your very thorough, precise, and determined to see why and how things work. You showed a great amount of determination, and would never quit. I would be dissapointed if you didn't pursue a venture in those shafts. I certainly would back you 175 %....Aside from the business you already successfully operate, I would take this opportunity and do this on the side also. Just thinking out loud here, but you really should consider it Gary...

Anyway, glad to see ya around here. Nice to see ya pull away from Heli-Freak and remember where it all started for ya ! Its been a long time, and it reminds me of the good old days, as we roamed the forums in full force. Not as active as it used to be, but that could be because it's summer. I imagine winter draws a more active and hungry crowd.

Take care & See ya around,

~ Jeff

Old 08-15-2008, 09:22 PM

Jeff,

You, Mark, Shane, Dave, and many others did, and apparantly still do make this place addictive ! !

Yea, fun, fun, fun, and Winter will be amongst Us again. May be a time to dust off some projects and get going again, and help others in the process. I still fly my CX-2'S, especially when My Son in Law comes around. He seems to really enjoy them as well. I have done all I dare to do on the T-REX, and have so much invested in the best of equipment, that I shake when I fly it ! !

But fly it I do, and My little Gaui, and My CX-2'S when the urge hits Me.

Have a feeling will be breaking them out again as Winter sets in.

Brothers in Blades,

Gary
Old 08-15-2008, 09:28 PM

oops.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:11 PM

My little Gaui,
And yer gonna teach me everything I need to know about that little sucker, once I get my paws on one......
Old 08-16-2008, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: J-MICHAEL

My little Gaui,
And yer gonna teach me everything I need to know about that little sucker, once I get my paws on one......

First thing about the Gaui; get Yourself a nice pair of jewelers opti-visors w/ # 5 lenses is You are over 35.

Gary
Old 08-22-2008, 07:16 AM

all i used was some standard wheel collars like the ones in the pic and i cut off the u-bend and now everything is fine...
Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 AM

Just Ordered my "Goldslinger" Pre-built Flybar mod, from USHOBBYSUPPLY.COM I have been wanting to do this mod since I first saw it a long time ago, but just never took the time to get all the parts and build it! I am so excited to get this thing prebuilt by the man himself! thanks for making it easy!!