Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:11 PM
rotarydoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Hey guys,

I finally got a half decent test video in on the new Webbie HD cam...

I still need to work on getting the frame centered, not the easiest thing to do, when you can't see what you are taping...that, and I need to try to stop leading the heli with the cam...[>:]

Overall, I'm happy with the video quality, see what you guys think....I was able to watch it full screen with pretty decent resolution.. Sure beats the Flip Cam!!

I got some kinda nice nose in work in there, despite the wind kept taking me down the field...my first nose in landing and take off! Not too pretty, but ya gotta start somewhere! LOL

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhkIeaHYTgo

Glenn

Old 06-02-2009, 09:47 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

The other cool thing is what I found out I am going to be doing this weekend!!

I saw this at Hobby Hangar, when I was picking up the 450 Pro, and almost forgot about it!

THIS is the club I SHOULD belong to....but it's 32 miles away, a 45 minute drive without traffic...about the only way it would be worth it is to pack the entire Forester up with helis, and spend the entire day there...lol..

I think I am going to go Saturday, I'm gonna call and see when the "Top 3D Pilots" are going to be there...that's what I want to see!

http://home.flymha.com/index.php?opt...tpage&Itemid=1

http://www.flymha.com/mhafiles/2009%20funflyer.pdf

Glenn
Old 06-02-2009, 10:20 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

The quality of the vid was really good in normal quality in a full screen. If I had the patience to wait for the HD vid to download all the way it is really good.

That sounds like a fun event.

I don't know if you have messed around with batch files on DOS, but Ijust got done making a lot of them for school and it was kind of fun.

Have you read the new RCHeli mag yet? It sayed Bert Kamerer got some of his helis stolen!It also said the new TP40C batteries can be charged at 6C!!!!!

Nick
Old 06-02-2009, 10:43 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Thanks for the video review...one person said it was freezing in HD, but I think that was some problem on his end..it works fine for me...

Yeah, sounds like it's pretty big...something about free T-shirts to the first 125 pilots! And lodging info...hmmm...3 days...wow...I don't know what to expect!

I did batch files a couple of times, basically a file that executes a few commands on one file, if I remember correctly, it's been awhile... Messing with the old DOS stuff can be fun, for sure...

Nah, I didn't get my copy yet???? I'll keep an eye on the mailbox!

Sucks that Bert lost some helis, terrible....hope he had insurance...I guess AMA will cover up to $1000...but that's probably not much with his equipment...

Wow, charging at 6C!! Cool!!

Hope you can get some flying in...I went to my club field, and the plane guys left, I was the only one there...

But by that time it was almost dark...got some nice flips in though, some of the best I have ever done....it's all about the timing....

Glenn

Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I won't be able to fly until Friday and this is only if the weather is good. That is cool you got the field to yourself.

Nick
Old 06-03-2009, 01:43 PM
JPEE

Hey Guys

Yesterday was a good here. I got to fly the 600 for one pack, the T-28 3 packs and the 400-1 3 packs…………so I cannot complain. Oh, I forgot to mention, I had bought an ar6100 on the web so that what’s in my T-28 so I can still fly it as HH has the other one for it.

Glenn, I just watched your video and it was freezing for me too in HD so I came down to normal and it worked fine. This on my laptop so that might be the reason, a poor video card.
The FUNFLY your going to, is that the one I sentyou not on Skype about from` HF?

Nick, neat stuff the on the OLDDOSlol.......good forya man.

JPEE

light showers today......no worry, yesterday was golden.

I just tried your video again in small screen in HQ and it does glitch there to. At first I thought it was my card as I mentioned above. BUT...the guy I speak with in AZ takes videos in HD with a top-of-the-line cam, his videos do the same. At starting that green screen comes up. Sometimes it will simply not loadin HQ either. But like yours, they are both super clear in normal.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:05 PM
JPEE

Glenn,

Yes I did open the motor, the shaft is gone! I looked up the receipt of the new clincial grade bearings I got from my local bearing house. Of course their is a code number, so I called them right now and he confirmed they are 3x7 millmeter.

I mete a guy who installed a new shaft he made himself of the proper demension and then he used a drill press to drill out the pinion to the same dia. as you know the the motor shaft is stepped in the stock fashion.

JPEE
Old 06-03-2009, 08:07 PM
rotarydoc

JPEE,

Glad you had a good flying day today...sounds like you had fun!

Thanks for the input on the video, that is strange, wonder why that is....have you had a chance to check it on the big computer at all? Wondering if like you said, the video card in the laptop can't hack it? Thanks also for the kind words on YouTube..

I went to fly today, the main B400 (I've really been putting it to good use lately!), and on my preflight check over, I found that the ball links that go on the flybar cage, on those aluminum bars, were falling off! [X(]

They can't really fall all the way off, since they are trapped, but it would have made for some terrible handling problems! I got some new ones....all the other links seem fine...no slop or wear...

Anyways, I took a look at my motor, so we could ge an idea of what's going on BEFORE they seize/squeel/lockup...and it's kinda interesting.

Looks like mine is in the early stages of failure...the bearings are rough, kinda sloppy, have a good bit of play in them...and the shaft has early "witness marks" of the inner race starting to spin on the shaft...which is the killer, as you know...

I am thinking if I replaced the bearings at this stage, the motor might last a good deal longer, for sure...esp with some ceramic bearings that need little maintenance, because it is practically impossible (as you know) to get any lube on the bottom bearing, and it's the one that takes most of the load, being on the pinion/main gear end of the shaft...

The ceramic bearings are $10 a piece....OUCH... I think that Todd still sells stock motors on eBay for like $25 or so...

Then, there is always the aftermarket, don't know if those motors last any longer bearing wise...like Nick has said...barring any overheating, a brushless motor will last a long, long time...it's the bearings on these Eflite motors that suck...the actual motor isn't too bad...

I dunno, figured I'd take a look and weigh the options...I'm gonna lube it up a bunch, and put it back together, not sure what I'll do..

Not to mention, the bearing look like they might be a real PITA to change...especially the front one near the pinion...you would have to drive it out from the back, I guess once you got the rear bearing out, it looks like it has a little access notch there, in the pic...

Something to think about I guess...

Glenn

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15052.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1211529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu63860.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1211530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36469.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1211531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20807.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1211532  
Old 06-03-2009, 08:26 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Good you did a pre-flight check. It sure saves a lot of money from crashing. If I didn't do a pre-flight on my 600 it would have crashed a few times due to the ball joints backing out.

I wonder if you put a little CA or Green loctite on the inner race if that would helpthe shaftnot to spin in the inner race. Ido that all the time on other shaft bearings, but not for a motor.

My Gaui Scorpion motor was a PITA to get the bearings out of it. They were in there really tight. Then on my stock Gaui motor one of the bearings just popped out easily.

Nick
Old 06-03-2009, 08:40 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, I'm glad I caught that, don't know if it would have caused a crash, but it definitely would have had some control issues...it's kinda wierd how those links are worn out, and none of the others are...but they were definitely worn out, no doubt about it, and evenly from side to side, both were worn the same...

Good idea on the green loctite...didn't think of that...

Heck, I have a brand new in the bag Eflite motor here, I think what I will do is put that in the heli, and then take this one to work, where I have more tools, and see what I can do with the bearings....if I destroy it, no biggie, but if I can salvage the motor after the bearings are out, I may go ahead and get some cereamics for it, and green loctite the inner race, and see how it goes...might be kinda fun...

I think ceramics would be good for this application, since they are for high speed applications, and the Boca ones I saw said lubed for life...dunno about all that, but at least for along time...the B400 is nearly impossible to get to the lower bearing to lube it...the pinion is in the way, just no good way to get even a tiny pinpoint oiler needle in there...[>:]

By the time this new stock motor wears out, and the ceramic bearing one is done, I'll just go for a decent aftermarket motor...I don't need more power really in the B400...I've got the 450 Pro for that...

I just more or less use the B400 for everyday practice, every chance I get...and if something goes wrong, and I have a crash, no biggie...

After I discovered that today, I ran home and got the all stock spare B400 out...it flies pretty well, actually, stock servos and all...very light feeling, very lively...a bit peppier than my normal, heavy B400...was kinda fun!

Glenn
Old 06-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Evan T.

Glenn I just took apart my motor and the bearings seem fine but the shaft looks the same as yours but I guess I'm gonna keep going until it seizes lol like last time
Old 06-03-2009, 09:40 PM
rotarydoc

Evan,

Be careful...I just stripped out my pinion...the setscrew hole is stripped...

It's only brass...the threads are really weak...don't tighten it too much...I couldn't believe how easy mine stripped...[X(]

Looks like a good excuse to fly the 450 and 500 this weekend...

I doubt my LHS has a pinion, so I'll just add that to my list, and order everything I need/break from Helidirect on Sunday, like usual...lol

Evan, if you have some green loctite, (or even a tiny drop of CA) you could put a little on the inner race of the bearing, where it rides on the shaft...the main issue with these motors is the inner race starts spinning on the shaft, and takes it out...if you can prevent the inner race from spinning, it might help...until the bearing completely fails, then it's seizure time!![X(]

Good luck !

Glenn
Old 06-04-2009, 12:18 PM
helicorpse

Hello...    checking in here on everyone

Well Nick,  glad to report that I did follow your recommendations on the Belt Cp...  which is morphing into something else more and more everyday.  I got off the wagon and installed the ar6100 rx in the belt, gonna buy another for the 450se, it was time to start using the DX7 anyway.    I also put the graphite / cnc swash plate for the b400 on it.   Quite a leap in handling and control and it did resolve the too slow response and large control movements from the tx.   Soon after installing these I had the BFFE  (Best Frickin Flight Ever)!! with that heli.

Parts located for the 450se

should I grab the gy401 that I've located for a $100?  almost double that for a G770
should I pair up the jr 287mg for the tail with the 285's that came with the tx?  50$
also it looks like the scorpion 2221-8 motor is the ticket

down to looking at brushless speed controllers and had to check out the castle creations.. however i guess the usb castle link stuff is for use on the phoenix hv-30 and not compatible with the phoenix-35 line.  Am I right on that?  I might shy away from the $$ on them either way.  Is the scorpion commander v2 -35 by the same mfg as the motor? 

and as you know that I know nothing you can start telling me what else i'm gonna need besides a bank to rob....

NOw to End with a stupid question...  this should make you feel better!!  what is the round doo-hickie thangamaigger with copper wound round and round under a rubber wrapper and associated (at least on the belt cp) with the esc?

helicorpse,
Peter

Old 06-04-2009, 12:24 PM
helicorpse

Helistyle, 

I'm doing the blade cpp thing too..

it's  nice to hear you got a deal on the cpp2.  I've been watching the price on them as well just thinking and waiting..   I could fly it with my dx7, it has a heading lock gyro, and I understand the new dd tail doesn't need modification in order to hold well.   Why mod my cpp more if the mods add up to the price of a cpp2.

I've modified my cpp with the dual tail and it's not a problem anymore, a cnc swash and center hub  (highly recommended and compatible with cpp2 i believe) , but a hh gyro and the rx combined just about puts the scales of  value in favor of a new cpp2 without tx.   I fly the outrage batts as RotaryDoc put me onto them as well..   lots of punch for sure.  I've got to do the tray mod ...   yes room under the canopy after balancing.  I'm going to use some kind of stiff plastic I think.. I'm a carpenter and putting wood on a heli just doesnt' seem right to me...heheh.. not plexi but something lying sround the shop will do.  The center hub from micro heli is a good part to buy as it costs less than replacing the plastic eflight center hub assembly (2) parts total almost 20$ and I find that is has less slop.  

Doc, have you modified the heads on your blade cp's on any of the many?

Have a nice day
Helicorpse

Old 06-04-2009, 12:58 PM
evdreamer

Peter,

Good to hear your Belt CP is flying a lot better.

A JRtail servo can fail if it isn't used with a gyro that supports it. The G770, Spartan, and GY520(I think works) work with JR tail servos. Otherwise the Futaba and Hitec servos are great substitutes.

The castle link works with all new Castle Creation ESC's. Iuse it on a standard and HVspeed controller. Yeah the Scorpion ESC's are made by the same company that makes the motors.

Do you have a picture of the object you are talking about with the ESC? By your description Iam guessing it is an inductor. That takes all the bad signals from the ESC that switch really fast and remove that from the throttle signal wire. And that makes the ESCwork better because it can read the throttle signal better.

Nick
Old 06-04-2009, 01:32 PM
rotarydoc

Peter,

Sounds like you are progressing nicely with the various heli projects...

I have not modified my CPP heads in any way, except for extra flybar weights on the original CPP, to help calm it down a bit in the early days...I have one weight on each side, kinda slows things down a bit...have seen no need for them on the CPP2's at all...

Both of my CPP2's are completely stock, with the exception of CF main blades on one, and the battery tray mod you have seen to get the CG correct...

LOL on the wood...I was thinking about plexiglas or some other material, but the wood was cheap, easy, and convienient...

Have fun!

Glenn
Old 06-04-2009, 01:42 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

I just got off the phone with the people that are running the fun fly this weekend at the helicopter club...sounds pretty awesome, the more I hear!!

It's 3 days of nothing but helis, no planes allowed (), and there is a separate area for novice pilots. I was asking about the cost, etc...it's free to get in, and look around, and $25 to register to fly for the whole weekend.

Apparently some people come from far away, and actually camp out overnight in the park...there is even a huge barn/pavillion for flying electrics in case of rain, etc....even night flying!

On Saturday, the Maryland State Police are bringing one of (12) of their Daupin SA 365 Twin engine helicopters for the crowd...that should be pretty cool....they said that is the only time the flight line will close all weekend..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocopter_Dauphin

I think I am going to bring at least the B400's along, and decide when I get there whether to fly or not...she said that I should bring them, that I would regret it if I didn't...lol

So, I am going to get a pinion tonight for the one that stripped out last night...

I was kinda worried about leaving stuff out, she said they have never had an issue with anything missing in the 15 years they have been running the fun fly.

We'll see, the weather tomorrow for the first day is calling for rain, but the rest of the weekend should be awesome weather wise...

Glenn
Old 06-04-2009, 01:46 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I just had an interesting flight with my 450 and a tree.Iwas flying a little to close to a branch and my heli caught a piece of it. One main blade has a chip in it, the crown gear is shot again, a spindle screw is bent, the shield on the swash bearing popped out and is bent, the main gear is stripped, a screw pulled out of a servo horn, I think a servo gear is bent again. That is all I can see so far. Maybe Ishouldn't be flying in the backyard anymore.

Nick
Old 06-04-2009, 01:53 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

It sounds like you are getting really excited for the event and it should be a fun one.

I forgot to say a wire on my Outrage battery either got ripped off or chopped by the blades. It was also thrown from the heli, but it seems fine besides the wire. I am just a little nervous about opening up a LiPo and fixing it. Iknow JPEEhas done it, but it still makes me uneasy about doing it. Since Ionly have one good LiPo left for it maybe Ishould convert it to A123's.

Nick
Old 06-04-2009, 01:54 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

OUCH!![X(]

Sounds like alot of damage from a tree branch...that sucks...

I've had a few close brushes with trees lately...the little heli area that I use at my club field is surrounded on 3 sides by big trees...I have gotten too close for comfort a few times now...been lucky so far....and that field in the video, had a couple of fairly close ones there too...it's just a matter of time, I'm sure...I just hope it doesn't get stuck up high in the tree...[X(]

Seems that trees are a magnet for RC aircraft in general...and apparently, you only have to get close before one "reaches out" and grabs your heli...[>:]

Hope you can get it rebuilt soon...bummer...especially for a stupid little tree branch...

Glenn
Old 06-04-2009, 02:01 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Ihave to pay for tuition soon, so the 450 won't be rebuilt anytime soon. However, it was kind of cool to watch the crash.

Nick
Old 06-04-2009, 02:07 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Wow, that sounds like one bad crash, for just a branch!

Sorry to hear about the battery damage...I would also be pretty hesitant to try to repair a lipo...maybe start by just peeling back the covering/shrink wrap for a look-see...and use your judgement from there...

Yeah, this event will be my first of anything like it....should be very cool. I'll be sure to take the new video cam along.

And, I better bring some extra money...never know what might come along, I'm bound to see something I want...lol..

Good luck on the battery if you go to fix it...and keep us updated if you go the A123 route, that would be interesting!

Glenn
Old 06-04-2009, 02:19 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, that crash sounds pretty spectacular, too bad you didn't have it on video...

The way I look at it, if you're gonna crash, might as well get a few memories out of it...lol.

The "best" crash I ever had I didn't get on video, it was when I broke the frame, skids and some more stuff on the B400 flying when it was too dark, against a backround of trees...the blades literally exploded, leaving a nice debris field about 20 feet across...lol[X(]

Glenn
Old 06-04-2009, 03:11 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That would be cool to see some vids of the event.

Yeah I will let you guys know if Igo with A123's on the 450.

Ijust got done fixing what I could. It wouldn't be an expensive crash if the blades and servo gears weren't shot.

Nick
Old 06-04-2009, 04:52 PM
HeliStyle
My Feedback: (2)

I am Lovin the cp pro 2

all good over here

thing is a huge improvement from the original cp pro

tail holds very well with the gryo

I forgot how I still had a place for the cp pro in me heart lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.