Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:56 AM
JPEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Aframomum, aka Mark,

Cool your flying at work. I would just suggest that after flying and while those batteries are cooking you take great care in bringing them inside the work place. Once they are cool and stable ok but warm...... they are still active and you dont want to have a fire in your locker.............that might make them a little pissy there ya know.
This months AMA magizine shows a guys van on fire while chargin side the van right next to the tables at his fly park. Burned down the van and the Fly Park canopies YIKES!!

Myself, I have always charged in my hobby room in front of my eyes and then stored them in a carry box. But again if one packs set itself on fire I have a potental BOMB in the house. The Radio Flier "Jay" has some concrete fence blocks he sets on the concrete floor. He puts the batteries in the two divided cells and then put a block wall cap on top. Now you have a concrete battery bunker for $5.00 that is fire proof. Just a thought, I am moving this way myself.

Jreue, this is a glance at what I use in the $14.64 blades. The cheaper ones below I am not sure these are right in SIZE, I would have to study it. You need to look at the hole for the screw. I have that info if you need it but a a glance before I go out this a.m. this is what the boys are talking about. The $5.00 blades do need balancing and are fair and great for learning and crashing. The $15.00 blades are what I use on a daily basis.
All of these or the Align Pro woodie will require shims as their root is much thinner than Eflites.

$14.64 http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8395&Product_Name=325mm_Carbon_Fiber_Main_Blade_Yellow_ (1pair)
$5.95 http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8517&Product_Name=325mm_Fibreglass_Main_Blade_(1pair)

Go to page 386 and see my last crash two weeks ago.

Go to page 385 and see how I make blade shims. I use old credit, H Depot, andy plastic card.

With regard to the Align red and white Pros, they are great blades but as Jeff said still $15.00 woodies than when just tipped into the ground are gone. They are a 100% better than Eflite Blades but are still wrapped and will not take any abuse other than a crash. Also Like Jeff said the woodies "absorb" engergy on a crash where FG fiber glass $5.00 blade or more over the CF carbon fiber blades will not give hardly at all so while they are thumping around your heli is taking a beating!

Let me know if I can help JPEE
Old 11-07-2009, 11:51 AM
evdreamer

Mark,

I wear really light gloves. Heliproz has something called a radio bag. It is kind of like a bag that you put the transmitter in and can slide your arms in it. http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=326987 It is kind of expensive though.

Nick
Old 11-07-2009, 12:39 PM
J-MICHAEL

Mark ~

Like Nick, I also use light gloves as they've seen before... There a light glove, with Neoprene on the underside that grips everything very nice. I have a few pairs for fishing, driving, and using the TX in the cold mornings and I really like them. Anything to thick, and it gets to be an awkward feeling using and grasping the TX. I have been using mine lately for those cold mornings already... It took a bit to get use to, but I just wore the gloves using the sim for a bit and that helped.

I also have a few little pieces of some thin "grippy" non-skid on the TX also. I still need to apply a few more little pieces on the backside however, and this helps to hold a steady grip on the slippery TX as I don't like the neckstraps that feel liked I'am getting choked and gives me that closter-phobic feeling so to speak...

I've heard mixxed reviews about those bag hand warmers as Nick showed. There very nice, but I've heard to many times that having the TX inside and using the warmer, the sticks can get in the way of the material inside and causing conflict. Some of those bags to have "support" rods or braces that do help keep the bag clear of the sticks somewhat, but gents on Helifreak still claimed it was a problem, where some others said it wasn't to bad.... Just a thought is all.

On our Toyota Tacoma we have a plug-in on the back bed, and for the Acura, I use an inverter to plug in a heating pad turned on either low or medium and wrapped loosely to keep my lipo's warm and active for those cold mornings or days when I'am at the field flying. So after flying a pack, I'll go back to the vehicle and grab another warm lipo ready to go. Because as you know the lipo's don't like the cold and being nearby the vehicle makes it then nice to grab a lipo that isn't frozen. The pockets work ok, but they still can get kinda cold as I've found.

We could all just move down and stay with JPEE for the winters where its all nice and sunny !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25366.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1309369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19538.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1309370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95104.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1309371  
Old 11-07-2009, 12:41 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Well, I've been a busy little bee lately...I caved in, and got a new PC, so that was what I was doing last night...and proably today, and tonight...LOL...lots to do swapping over, installing programs, etc, to get back where I was....

Jeff,

Nice pics, and great advice to jreue, I couldn't have said it any better, we all go through that learning curve....and as you pointed out with Nick, his practice and perserverence have paid off nicely for him...and his age helps alot too! Makes me wish I'd started earlier, or stuck with it since 1989 with the Cobra... This hobby is like anything in life that you undertake....you get out of it what you put in...

Nick,

Keep us posted on this mornings flight exercises, for sure...it's windy today, but the nice days are tomorrow and Monday....less wind, much warmer...so I'm gonna start charging packs..I took them all down to storage voltage before the surgery, wasn't sure how long I'd be laid up....

jreue,

Sorry to see the crash....did you ever get around to taking the training gear off? Or did the bugs prevent you from even trying yet?

Glad you spotted that gyro switch, that certainly could have been an issue, if it was in the 40% mode...won't quite act like a heading hold does, when it's below 50% and in rate mode...

I have done a lot of reading back issues of RC heli magazine, and they point out exactly what you (and I, for a long time) are doing wrong, and JPEE said it correctly..and that is to not move the heli after you initialize the gyro....many times, I will do as you have, and plug the battery in at one spot, carry the heli to the flying site, and then take off....what usually happen is, the gyro makes a quick correction right at lift off....no biggie, I'm used to it....but for someone learning, it could be an issue...and Jeff's advice was good as well...about reinitializing it with the rudder stick...

I may or may not change my habit...I like to know that the heli is powered up, and all systems are go before I walk it all the way out to the field...so I do it near the car, in the parking lot...it's a good 250 foot walk to the middle of the field...and I have done that, walked out there, plugged the battery in, just to discover something that I could have fixed easier while still at the car, with tools, heli bag, etc...

Mark,

Have fun in the chilly weather, it's only going to get colder...lol...

Nah, I have not found a solution that works for cold fingers yet...they make those TX bags....where you put the entire TX and your hands in....but that seems like it would take alot of getting used to, for sure...

Some guys use gloves with just the fingertips cut off...I tried some really thin (and expensive!) leather gloves...still just don't have enought stick feel for me....

I just come back to the car, turn the heat on full blast out of the dash vents, and warm my fingers that way...

Glenn
Old 11-07-2009, 01:31 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I decided not to fly today. The weather is too good and there will be too many people again. I fixed the Velocity last night and it took awhile to get to the crown gears, but they are a lot easier to replace than the Align ones. I was able to pull the bearings off by hand yet they still were tight enough not to slip on the gear and you know what it takes to get the bearings off the Align crown gears. I also put double sided tape on the frame between the fuel tank, since it was rubbing on the frame when the engine pressurizes it. I also noticed one of the caps fell off from my regulator. I don't think it needs it because the battery can supply the needed current. I will try to fly tomorrow, since it will be windy enough for most people not to come.

Have fun flying tomorrow or Monday.

Nick
Old 11-07-2009, 05:30 PM
JPEE

Hey Nick,

I guess I missed you having a mishap with the Velocity, crown gears and such. Yea I hear ya when the Fly Park is packed I just ah-soon stay home too.

Nothing going on here, haven't flown in a week or so, been busy. With the exception right of now flying a pack in the old CX2 LOL in my garage. You know some might think we are all way past the CX2 but for me its great for "thumb memory" practice on nose in hovering. I like it better than the SIM for that. Quit cool here with a breeze, wintery burrrr. I was in a short sleave shirt all day in the sun so I was ok but in the shade there was bite in the air. I know I know....you guys get the COLD weather 22-35 but here but here in Cali............well 60 is enough to make my joints hurt LOL for real.......JPEE DONT DO COLD at all.

Glenn, congratuations in the new computer! What brand, how big, how fast, what g-card?

JPEE
Old 11-07-2009, 05:58 PM
evdreamer

JPEE,

I had a bad auto the last time I flew the Velocity. I ran out of fuel mid flight. Luckily I was upright and not inverted.

I just got done getting my code to multiply, divide, and convert between numbering systems. Since computers can only add, I had to manipulate the numbers to multiply and divide by only using addition. Now it won't take much work to make my ammeter and temp gauge to work.

Glenn,

Have fun with the computer.

Nick
Old 11-07-2009, 07:13 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Nick,

That sounds like my club field, if it's a nice day, like tomorrow is supposed to be, there is no point even going, as the plane guys will dominate the field....leaving only the small heli area for me...and that is actually less room than I have at the horse track or the baseball field...(esp the baseball field).

Cool on the code that you need for the ammeter and temp gauges, good luck on those builds...

JPEE,

Yeah, funny you mention that...my hip was starting to bug me shortly before my surgery, when it got nippy out...I have a feeling it's not just going to stay away, like it has all summer.. Got a bit of arthritis in there, and they say the cold damp weather can really mean suffering...

That's OK...I can deal with it!! I'm just soooo glad to have this surgery behind me...I go see the doc on Monday, and hopefully, he will remove these "surgi strips" which were holding the incision together...the stuff looks like reinforced packing tape, that kind with white strings running long wise....looks like it's going to be a PITA to get that stuff off...not to mention a bit painful!

Well, as you guys might remember, I had that video card failure over the summer, and spent a pretty penny on the new video card....so, what I wanted was the fastest PC I could get, without spending much on it's video card, since I can swap it out of the old PC into the new one...and have better graphics than this new one comes with...

So, I ended up with this powerhouse....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883147039

Should do me for a while...a few years without an upgrade....that processor is the Intel Core i7, which is a 64 bit, quad core processor...basically one of the fastest out there now....so I won't need to upgrade anytime soon...and the 8 GB of RAM will do anything I can throw at this thing, it should run Phoenix or Realflight without even breaking a sweat..

The video card that it comes with is not bad at all...it's just not quite as good as the one I bought over the summer....I'm going to try it out for a while, and then maybe later on, swap the better vid card and 430 watt power supply out of the old PC into this one....it's too new right now to be messing with!!!

Windows 7 is great, a huge improvement over Vista, which I never had a problem with anyways...Win7 is slimmer, trimmer, faster, and has a completely new taskbar setup that is very cool.....once you get used to it...it's quite a bit different than XP or even Vista...

I'll see if I can post a screen shot of it....not sure if RCU supports .PNG files for upload or not....

Anyways, it's running like a fine swiss watch so far...I'm slowly migrating my stuff over to it...should be all set in a few days, taking my time, and not putting anything uneeded on here, since that will just slow things down...

Glenn

PS....RCU does not support PNG files, so I can't upload a screnshot for ya....sorry...
Old 11-07-2009, 07:21 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That computer makes my little 8bit controllers look like a joke.

Good to hear you like windows 7.

If that computer has paint, just do a screen shot and paste it in paint. Then you can save it as a .jpg.

Nick
Old 11-07-2009, 10:15 PM
JPEE

Glenn's new computer, it opens twice for the huge and final frame.

By JPEE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ay73550.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	1309724  
Old 11-07-2009, 11:26 PM
rotarydoc

JPEE,

Thanks for posting, I was going to do what Nick suggested, but looks like you beat me to it!

Glenn
Old 11-08-2009, 06:10 PM
JPEE

Hey Guys,

I was to go flying with a friend this morning at 7:30 and it was so foggy I could not see my back fence, so that was out. Later at noon though very glarey out I went up to fly alone. I had to carry my bat box and two helis, 500-600's out to the open field. The first pack was in the 500 and a slow flight in normal. Boy I can tell not flying for seven days take its toll on me. Anyway, it was a nice flight. Pack two...was in idle up with flips and rolls and barrel rolls all went well. But, that glare made it hard for me to follow the orientation of both birds. I got outta wack about 5 times and had to rock the heli to see the blades to regain my orientation. I flew one pack in the 600 in normal with the new 11 tooth and that is the right pinion for this baby. She will climb and I put her under stress and motor barely felt the load. Then I popped into the idle up 1 for one minute and kicked here to 90 to 100 across the scale and she really came alive. I did not do stunts, I just didn't have the feeling for it. The flight went well and I set her down. I sat there for a few minutes and then heard my little voice/gut say "go home" your done for the day.............so I did just that. That made the day a good to be able to come home all in tact.

I hope some of you got to fly in some fashion and your weather was good.

JPEE
Old 11-08-2009, 06:10 PM
evdreamer

Guys,

I got back from flying and had the whole place to myself. The winds were hanging out around 20MPH and the Velocity flew great in it. Two plane people came out, but they were weather vanning really bad, so they packed up and left. 1 for helicopters, 0 for airplanes. I might put my Spartan gyro in because I have just a little wag at 57% gain and I don't want to lower it too much more. I got some more video and I think it turned out better, so you can actually see my heli. I will try and get that up soon when I have some free time.

I was up till 5 desiging the circuit board for my power panel. I am almost done with that and I am getting close to being able to prototype it. Maybe later this year or the beginning of next year I will finish it.

Nick
Old 11-08-2009, 06:14 PM
JPEE

ORIGINAL: evdreamer

Guys,

I got back from flying and had the whole place to myself. The winds were hanging out around 20MPH and the Velocity flew great in it. Two plane people came out, but they were weather vanning really bad, so they packed up and left. 1 for helicopters, 0 for airplanes. I might put my Spartan gyro in because I have just a little wag at 57% gain and I don't want to lower it too much more. I got some more video and I think it turned out better, so you can actually see my heli. I will try and get that up soon when I have some free time.

I was up till 5 desiging the circuit board for my power panel. I am almost done with that and I am getting close to being able to prototype it. Maybe later this year or the beginning of next year I will finish it.

Nick
Hey Nick,
Sounds like you too had a good day. Glad for ya, 2 for Helis ZERO for planes LOL. Cool news on your prototype project too.
JPEE
Old 11-08-2009, 06:56 PM
evdreamer

JPEE,

Good to hear you had a fun time flying.

Nick
Old 11-08-2009, 09:05 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Glad you guys had a good time today....I went out, left about 4, figuring to get some nice flights in, since there was very little wind, and it was 70 degrees...

Well, I guess everyone had the same idea to go out and enjoy the day....every field was taken, I spent most of the afternoon driving around, like the old days...I even went to the big 4 field place, hoping that by some miracle, the gates might be open...no luck...

Anyways, everyone else has to go to work or school tomorrow...I have to go to the MVA for licenser renewal, and the Dr for a follow up....but should be back from that at about 4....and I should beat the little fellas to the baseball field for some flying...

And then Tuesday is still looking good on the weather report, with nothing scheduled, so that might be my best flying day...

Then, on Wednesday, they are calling for some wind, so that would be an excellent opportunity to go visit the all helicopter MHA flying field...and finally see what that is all about....

It might be a 25 mile or so one way trip....but it might very well be worth it...I guarantee I drove that many miles today, and still didn't fly....[&o]

At least I didn't crash, or put any wear and tear on the helis....lol...

Glenn
Old 11-08-2009, 09:25 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Sorry you couldn't fly today.

Nick
Old 11-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi all,

Glenn,
Sorry to hear that you didn't get any flying in, at least you were able to get out and enjoy some fresh air. Congrats on the new computer, hard decision huh? Hopefully the DMV in MD is nice and fast and you won't have to spend much time there, also good luck with the stitch removal. Look on the bright side - you'll get to go flying afterward.

Nick,
Glad to hear you had the field to yourself and got the Velocity back in the air. Funny about the plank guys being wind wussies.

JPEE,
Thanks for the safety tid bit on the lipos. I too charge only when I'm home to supervise them, just in case. I got bored with the night flying around light poles on my lunchbreak so now I mainly fly in the mornings after work when the sun is up. I keep my lipos in my locker while at work so that they don't lose charge sitting in a cold car overnight. Great to hear that you also had a good day flying.

Nice to see some nice weather for the next few days so I'll be able to put off any cold weather gear for a bit. But I'll be checking into the gloves that Nick and Jeff suggested, thanks! Think I'll pass on the Tx bag, seems a bit much for the winters down here, not that cold.

Mark
Old 11-08-2009, 09:48 PM
J-MICHAEL

Nick ~

Awesome you got to fly the Velocity today ! [8D] I swear that our heli's will out-perform the planks in the wind ! The planes just have more "mass" for the wind to catch, and the two wings don't help ! Plus we have a bigger prop ! LMAO.... So then even with our bigger heli's, its probably best to go fly when its more windier to weed out the plane guys who seem to dominate your fields you guys all fly at.

When the plane guys were leaving did you do this ?? ! LMAO..... I love my planes also, but when ya really want to step up your game, the heli's are the only way to fly in all conditions... [8D]

Can't wait for another video.... Just a nice little reminder as I watch you fly, that I still can't fly... (LMAO)... Thanks....! Naw.... Just kidding, its actually a big motivator, and very inspiring. I've been getting burnt out on them I think lately, and so anything now will help keep me locked in. I'll probably dig out my planes to tinker with for a bit for a different breath of fresh air for awhile maybe.

JPEE ~

So when are ya going 12-cell on that 600 mister ?? ! Come-on, guys are swearing by the power ! Or even 10-cells ?? ! Hek, I'am sure you could be like them then and strip a main gear or two in flight ! I have a couple TP 5s 3300 mah 25c batts you could try to run in series if you get the motor to try if ya like ! [8D] Wear your diaper though, I'am pretty sure you'll pee.... LMAO.... Although I would be tempted if I ever got a 600 to run a 10s set-up, and just use these 4 TP 5s batts in series. (you know me)...

Glenn ~

Cool ya got to go on a Sunday drive ! [8D] LMAO.... But on a series note, that sucks ya couldn't fly. Its like that here on the weekends, and everybody and there dog is out and about. That's while I pucker up my balls and hit the field very early at daybreak sometimes, but still then get the early bird dog-walkers... The weekdays are the best, as the kids are in school, and most are working, and so its usually quiet at the fields. I can't wait for maybe Springtime and getting my AMA card so I can fly at that big field a few miles from my house. I guess its dead there on the weekdays. One of the new LHS's here in Sequim that opened up last year and the owner who runs it, also owns that AMA field I guess... So kinda cool for my future to try out.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:13 PM
evdreamer

Jeff,

My Velocity sure had a hard time doing a rainbow up wind, but if I went down wind it would shoot across the field. I accidently jammed the washout base into the phasing pins and that moved my push pull elevator crank, so my last two flights had a little unwanted elevator movement. I just eye balled it at the field, so I will have to level the swash again sometime. I will probably need some more fuel again because I think I only have enough for one more flight. At this rate electrics are starting to seem cheaper.

No, I treated the airplane guys with respect when they left. I like the majority of them in the club.

Nick
Old 11-08-2009, 10:50 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Mark....thanks...the new PC is awesome, I'm enjoying it completely...and unlike my helis, no crashes yet!! LOL...

Yeah, right on the MVA here!!! They have two speeds....slow and slower....LOL...I'll be there for a bit, bringing a book...

It's gonna feel great to get this tape stuff off....not really stitches...this stuff is like super sticky packaging tape...not sure how he's gonna get it off just yet....[X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]

It was nice just driving around, anything to get out of the house again, I was getting cabin fever there for a while being stuck inside/on the sofa, etc...

Jeff,

Yeah, seems I need to find a better place to fly....this field if it works out, will be an entirely different approach...as it's kinda far away...I would just pack all the helis I was going to take, batts, toolboxes, etc, lunch, sodas, everything, and spend like half the day or more at a time....not just take a couple of packs up to the local baseball field for a few flights....I would have to make it worth a 50 mile round trip....

You would be surprised how many people are sometimes at a club field during weekdays...I went up to mine one day, an average Tuesday or something on a road test once....and it was pretty busy, at about 2 PM or so....definitely not deserted by any means...but, that one horrible day I went up there and everything went wrong, was a Monday, and there was no one there...so I guess it depends on a few factors...it was also windy that day...

Weekdays here at my local baseball field are the greatest...no one is hardly ever there at lunchtime...so it's nice...

Glenn
Old 11-09-2009, 01:19 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Jeff,
You aren't getting tired of your heli's already are you?? Well, my friend I will be more than happy to just take them off your tired hands... I know what your talking about though, sometimes I bring along with me my old Parkzone Stryker to throw out there and just relax while flying. Gives me a bit of both worlds. Of course you have to end your day on a good note and get some stepped up heli flying in. Another thing to do is dig up your old CPpro and toss that around again. It'll amaze you at how much easier it is to handle now then in those earlier days. BTW, love the beginning video's with the training gear on, how in the world did you get your CP to end up on its head?? Your first inverted move and your didn't even realize it!

Glenn,
Yeah, love the DMV. You guys in MD have the dreaded inspection to deal with also don't you? One thing I really don't miss. Hopefully you'll find some good open (and empty) fields tomorrow.

Nick,
How much is heli fuel?? I heard in the long run the cost of lipo's outdoes the costs of fuel, but still there is something about the sound of the engine and the smell of the smoke. BTW, what brand of fuel do you use - I may want to buy some stock since I have a feeling it may be increasing in the near future.

Mark
Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 AM
evdreamer

Mark,

Cool Power 30% fuel is $35/gallon here. So far I have gone though two gallons in two weeks. It costs $3.89/flight on the Velocity and it costs $.2/flight on my 600.

Nick
Old 11-09-2009, 11:03 AM
jroo

Morning all.

So I started the repair last night on the Blade 400 from last weeks crash.

Broke the typical stuff:

Main Shaft: very tiny bend
Main blades
flybar
gear in elevator servo
main gear

Man, I am going to have to order a one-way bearing puller for that main gear. For $4, I could have saved $12 by now.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:07 AM
jroo

Oh almost forgot.

HS-65MGs seem to be a popular choice of servos. Is this recommended for all 4 servos, or just the 3 for the cyclic, and something else for rudder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.