Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
jroo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Why is there a need for it to be driven by 2 servos?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:28 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Sorry about your transmitter.

My 600 lands pretty good with the V-bar. It was a little different doing an auto with it though.

I finished my Velocity last night, so I might go flying today again.

It looks like it is only missing the engine and the tail servo now.

Nick

Old 05-27-2010, 01:50 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Got the rest of the stuff to finish today, engine, pipe, rudder servo, header tank, and some other goodies...

jreue,

There are still 3 cyclic servos, just like your heli...those servos are connected to different links on the same elevator shaft...all 3 cyclic linkages operate from the same shaft, which is right behind the mainshaft...it's good for overcoming cyclic interaction, especially if you set it up for 135 degree servo spacing, which I can't do with my DX6i, the radio has to be setup for it.

There are 2 links per servo, called a "push pull" system, you have an example on the B400 elevator servo. These larger helis often use them on all the cyclics because of the large amout of load on the servos and the high torque of the servos.

Nick,

I called Horizon, and they will do it under warranty...another example of Horzizon's excellent service...

I just got done copying all my models to the other DX6i...MANUALLY...[X(] Very time consuming...

So I'll send it in when I have some time. I'd like to sell those DX6i's and get a new JR 9503....

Good deal on the Velocity, hope all goes well on the rebuild flight...

Now you have both helis up and flying...very cool!

Tonight will be engine and rudder servo setup time, I'm happy with the cyclics, except I need to put main blades on it and check the pitch...should be real close using those alignment pins...

I'll probably dial indicate it at work tomorrow, unless I can use my small vise at home...

Glenn

Old 05-27-2010, 02:12 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That is cool the rest of your parts came in today and Horizon will fix your transmitter under warranty.

That JR transmitter should be amazing. I have used a few JR9303's setting up and test flying peoples helis.

The weather is great right now, so the car is all packed for me to go flying.

Nick

Old 05-27-2010, 03:23 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Have fun flying...

I can only hope to be able to get a 9503...I'll have to sell some other stuff, if I could sell the other CPP2, and the DX6i's, I might be able to swing it....

Did you use a crankshaft lock tool when you installed your clutch?

That's the one thing I forgot to get...Finless was saying use a toothbrush handle in the crankshaft opening under the carb....

Glenn
Old 05-27-2010, 07:16 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

I just got done with the fan and clutch...and it went really well...

I got the clutch/start shaft to .002 .... it wasn't too hard. It was about .005 at first, so I took it off and rotated it 180 degrees...and it came in to within .002, maybe just a tad over...but it should be fine.

I could probably get it a bit closer, but that would mean tapping on the shaft, which I don't really want to do....

Here's some pics. I took pics of the high and low, so I'll remember that I did it...

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33264.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1443516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87680.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1443517   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26638.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1443518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44891.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1443519  
Old 05-27-2010, 07:30 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I had a great time flying. It was a little hot out, but the flying conditions were pretty good. I was suprised no one showed up to fly. A couple of people showed up to watch though. I got 12 flights in total, 6 with the 600 and 6 with the Velocity. I was really impressed with the V-bar again. Usually I have to correct for the wind, but the V-bar was doing it for me. Then I could just concentrate on my moves.

My Velocity engine started up right away like it used to. I did some light flying with it and some mild aerobatic moves. My flight times are shorter with it. I had to cut off 2 minutes. I am just wondering if it is running a little rich. I was trying to keep my engine temps down, so I don't over heat the engine again. My new one way bearing seems to be doing good. I had to land once after I ran out of fuel again. When I got the old one way bearing case out I noticed it had green loc tite on the top of the bearing. I am wondering if some of that go into the bearing and caused it to fail.

I tried to use a crankshaft locking tool, but it doesn't fit very good in the YS engine. I just held the fan with a towel and tightened it down.

Nick
Old 05-27-2010, 09:14 PM
JPEE

Nick, I am glad you had a nice day flying. Sorry to hear you ran out of gas again.................man you've got to stop doing that!

Glenn, the old dial indicator trick hey. I have only used one a few times. We also in the old days had a marble or granit slab for FLAT checks like clutch plates. Looking good Mr.

OBTW I hit the buy button this afternoon on the 400 parts. Even if they si on the shelf, I'll use them sometime. I am not giving up the 400 series anytime soon.

JPEE
Old 05-27-2010, 09:14 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That is cool it wasn't that hard to dial indicate the engine.

Nick
Old 05-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Evan T.

its been non stop wind here in texas... i havent flown in a looonnnggg time!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:36 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Nick,

Sounds like you had a great day flying....glad the Velocity engine is doing well...and that the V-bar continues to impress...

Sorry your flight times with the Velocity are a bit shorter...but better that than run out of fuel or too lean....what is the engine temp after a flight, have you checked? Justin and those guys like to see them about 190-205 or so... they usually use an infrared non contact thermometer on them just after landing, flip the heli on it's side, and go up and down the engine from head to crankcase....

Maybe the locktite did cause the bearing to fail...I guess it's hard to say for sure now...

I ended up using a combination of the Finless toothbrush handle in the crank, and the bath towel to hold the fan while I tightened it...it seems like I got it plenty tight, and loctite of course.

I got the engine all in, and setup the throttle linkage. I have read in the SDX manual, the OS manual, and Ray's heli tech book how critical getting the throttle linkage is, so I paid alot of attention to it. I think I did pretty good at getting the desired 90 degree angles on each end of the link...

I love the Outrage pipe! Looks super nice, and it did come with the deflector and plug...seems very high quality, and I like the steel inserts in the flange...very nice! Do you use anything on the through bolts to keep them from loosening? I don't imagine loctite will last long...I read somewhere what to do/use, but I forgot...

I attached a few pics for you guys....

I think I'll stop on the build, and finish the decals, and call it a night...

JPEE,

Thanks for the kind words....hope the remodeling is going along as planned....

Nice on the 400 stuff, mine is still my most comfortable heli to fly, it's like an old friend...lol...

Evan,

Hey!

Sorry about your windy weather...glad to see you are still around...hope you can get some flying in soon...heck, go fly in the wind, it'll make you a better pilot in the long run....

Glenn

Name:	Us53207.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1443655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84397.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1443656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45526.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1443657  
Old 05-28-2010, 12:05 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

My engine temp was around 170-190. I used to run around 200.

That is cool you like the Outrage pipe. I wanted to use some locknuts on the screws, but the curved part prevented that. I ended up just using blue loc tite and that was working pretty good until I took the muffler off at 45 flights. I covered the screw in loc tite. Then once they were tightened I put more loc tite on the threads that came through the pipe.

What do you have left on the build?

I put my name on the waiting list for another V-bar at Ready heli for the Velocity.

Nick
Old 05-28-2010, 12:42 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Thanks for the info on the loctite, I wonder if blue on the threads, and then green on the ends of the screws might work too....I'll have to see if it's even a problem. I have just heard about mufflers/pipes falling off in mid flight...[X(]

That is cool that you keep your engine cooler now...it will last longer that way, if you don't need super power out of it...but as you said, probably a bit less flight time since it's on the rich side.

I still have to do the rudder setup, which looks easy, it's a kind of cable setup, with an outer sleeve, and an inner rod...seems kinda bogus, but RC Heli and other reviews say that whatever that sleeve is made of, it ends up being a silky smooth connection to the tailbox....

Then I have the fuel lines, and mount the header tank....put the pipe on permanently, then run the wiring, place all the electronics where they seem best, and balance and install the main blades, and setup the pitch and tail stuff...

I am hoping to get most of that done tomorrow night, and then be able to do my preliminary testing on Saturday, starting the engine, shutting it off....just getting used to everything, you know, the nitro routine...

Another V-bar???!!![X(]

I guess you are getting the second one at half price on the loyalty program?? I think that runs until the 31st of May?

Cool!

I am done with the decals. They turned out pretty good....have a few bubbles, but I think I can work them out.

I'm getting a bit more excited now that it's getting closer...

Oh, I need fuel...my LHS has cool power 30%....but they get $40 a gallon...[X(] I guess I'll grab two for now, until I can find a better deal on a case somewhere. I missed the MHA fuel buy....they had cases for $79...[&o]

Ahhh...the cost of nitro...lol...but I love that smell, and the smoke, and the noise...

Glenn

Old 05-28-2010, 01:18 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I saw a muffler fall off a planker at a fun fly.

That would be cool if you could fly the SDX by the weekend.

Yeah I am going to try and get another V-bar before that Loyalty program ends. That is a big discount. I just hope if they don't have them in stock before the program ends, that I can still get the discount when they are in stock. After flying the 600 the Velocity isn't that much fun with the flybar. Yeah, I think the program ends the 31st.

Your LHS must be making a nice profit on the fuel. My LHS was charging $30 for 30% cool power. Now they have Rotor Rage and I think that is $25 a gallon.

Nick
Old 05-28-2010, 05:31 PM
JPEE

Oh man you two Nitro boys, tearing up the tread are we?

Glenn, the ROBO looks great. I noticed than some screw holes through the frame by the motor are enlongated for final adjustments......neat! OUCH on the fuel prices.

Nick, sound slike you really got the temps down on the Velocity whichis always good. The "Flybarless Kid" I am gonna start calling you with two of them lol. Go deal on getting the second one now and saving a mess-o-dollars.

Evan.........what the heack ahve you been up to beyond being blowen away in that Texas wind. I have had wind here in Calif for nearly two weeks. Some not worth flying some I have flown but its a nusance.

JPEE
Old 05-28-2010, 08:14 PM
patryn
My Feedback: (1)

I don't really know where to put this but I'm so excited I'll put it here. I'd like to thank the sim for giving me the cajones to try my first flip today. Needless to say I was a little nervous and said f it. When I got upside down, I accidentally pulled the throttle back too much and completely killed any rotation. So it started dropping upside down and nose first. Luckily I slammed the throttle back down and pulled out of it before my first real flight with the 400 became a grease spot of parts for the kiddies to trip over on the soccer field. Before I could calm down enough to try another, lightning and gusts started moving in from a rogue cell, so I wrapped it up. The 400 definitely handles wind far better than the CPP2. I hit my landing carpet 3 out of 4 times even with the gusts. I feel euphorically high, like being on a boat. Shame my video capture didn't work....again.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8F3UE9qFsg[/youtube]
Old 05-28-2010, 09:17 PM
JPEE

Patryn,
Well done! Glad to see you went for it and.........did it. I have 3 400s in my hanger. There are better helis forsure but with that said the 400 is a great heli unto itself. Only this morning I put a pack through one. Good job on using the sim....the price of crashing there can't be beat lol.

JPEE
Old 05-28-2010, 09:25 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Making some progress tonight on the SDX...I'll post some pics in a bit for ya'll...

JPEE,

Thanks for the kind words...and yeah, the engine has some adjustment, more so up and down than for gear mesh. I wasn't sure where to put it exactly but on Finless's video on clutches, he put it all the way up, and then backed off just a tad, so as not to cause any drag on the clutch...

Yeah, I really want to support my LHS, but they are making it difficult...I shelled over the $80 for 2 gallons, and then asked the manager, who knows how many helis I've bought from them said if I bought a case of fuel, he could knock a "few bucks" off of the price...

At $40 a gallon, that is $160 a case...I KNOW I can do better than that...I do know from working at a hobby shop that there is a HAZMAT fee applied to all fuel shipments...but still....

Nick,

That must have been pretty funny to see the muffler fall off the plank in flight...I have seen a couple of RC cars do that...gets pretty loud...

I hope you can get under the wire for the Loyalty program...that is a great deal, for sure...

patryn,

Congrats on your first flip attempt...even if it wasn't real pretty...I don't think anyone's first ones are...

I still remember my first one...and there was nobody there to see it...but I did manage to get it on video...in the snow yet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pG-sUSfB8c

My first backflips that is...I had tried an aileron flip, that turned out pretty ugly, and in fact crashed...lol..

Glenn
Old 05-28-2010, 09:38 PM
patryn

I flew in the snow once, and it was with my mSR in upper Illinois. The ground gets really hard up there..... I have to give you props. Using a radio in Isotoners is not a walk in the park. I still haven't flown off sim in idle up mode yet. I wasn't even sure a flip was possible in regular mode until I saw someone pull it off on youtube. So I tried it in the sim and learned you could do a pretty tight flip without idle up as long as you stayed around midstick as you arc'd over. My nerves didn't listen at the field though. Luckily I'd messed it up in the sim enough that I realized what I did and recovered beforeI turned it into fertilizer. So then I'm just standing in a field by myself going ****YEAH! and trying to shake the load out of my pants leg. For a millisecond I was sure my first flight with the 400 might be my last for a while and maybe I had been a little cocky.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:07 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

patryn,

Glad you saved it in the nick of time....

Using idle up in a flip like I did in the videos is a big help...the negative pitch at the top of the flip keeps it alot tighter than without the 11 or so degrees of negative pitch in the blades...

Nick,

Here's some pics of tonight's build progress...

That pipe will never look that good again..

Glenn

Name:	Fd90896.jpg
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1444250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52111.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1444251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36992.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1444252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52573.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1444253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41540.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1444254  
Old 05-28-2010, 10:34 PM
evdreamer

Patryn,

That is cool you pulled your first flip off.

Glenn,

Have fun if you get to maiden the SDX tomorrow.

I know what you mean about the pipe. Mine isn't that shiney anymore.

Nick
Old 05-28-2010, 11:20 PM
patryn

Thanks, ev.

Doc, I know about the idle ip. However, I'd like to get everything down I can in normal mode before I start doing the acrobatic gymnastics of idle up mode. Half stick gives me 0 pitch and just under starts to get a touch of negative. Plus I like the drop feeling of the "loopty loop" over the fish flipping of idle up.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:56 PM
rotarydoc

patryn,

That's cool....everyone has their own preferences, and know what they feel most comfortable with...

Just go at a pace that feels comfortable to you, and most of all, have fun!

Nick,

I just got done building one of those Du Bro "Fillin' Station" manual fuel pumps like this;

http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=152487

I'm getting ready to test it out. It seems pretty cool, and I don't mind the hand crank.

I'll probably get teased at the club, they all have electric pumps that mount on the fuel bottle...

I guess if I start flying 6-8 tanks in a day, I might consider one...lol...

Glenn
Old 05-29-2010, 02:49 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That is a cool fuel setup. It is nice not having to take the fuel cap off every time to fuel and empty the fuel tank.

I have a manual fuel pump for a backup, but I took the lazy route and use my electic fuel pump.

Nick
Old 05-29-2010, 08:33 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

I tested the manual fuel pump last night, and it works great...it's not the fastest thing in the world, but it does a good job for filling and emptying the tank. The only drawback I can see besides manually pumping, it that it's a PITA to get the last bit of fuel out of the header tank, because you have to raise the front of the heli and pump at the same time.

I stopped while I was ahead last night, I was getting too tired and making mistakes. So today I have to mount the electronics, balance the blades, and then I think I'm ready to fire it up for the first time!

Heli Direct took care of the bad servo, but they gave me store credit, not a refund...which is fine, I'm sure the refund would go right back into the heli anyways, sooner or later..

Should be an exciting day. Justin wants to fly at MHA today, so I'm going to have to make a choice, or just put the SDX off a bit...I have all the rest of the weekend to play with it, so I should go flying today.

Glenn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.