Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:23 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Nick,

Your finance monitoring skill keeps getting more and more impressive...have you ever considered going into software development? You certainly have a nack for it.

Having a professor you have respect for definitely makes for a good semester. I had 2 professors my entire college time whom I had the utmost respect for. One taught organic chem and was a former chemist for the Kodac company and the other I had throughout my genetics and molecular biology classes - he was an amazing person who had some hippie views on nuclear dumping during the 80's that led him to some jail time from a protest he participated in. Either way it was a very inspirational time at that point in my life. Good luck in your probabilities class.

Nice to hear you got a heat wave...

JPEE,

Glad to hear Judy got over the 'crud'...we have seen a severe increase in the flu here. Each day I go to work I look through the rapid flu test logbook to see how many are positive and which strain (A or B). Its going to be a busy season... You guys keep safe out there and good habits staying away from other people.

I think I understand your dilemma with the Bixler's prop...so now it has a 6.75 X 4 instead of a 7X4. Hope that works out for you. Is there any way of sanding the fuse section below the prop just a bit to clear the 7" prop and then reinforce it with ribbed packing tape? Just an alternative idea for the future.

Yes, I am close to finishing my heli. I am waiting on my order from experiencerc for a swash leveler...haven't I had this problem in the past???

Also, remember that I wanted to get some extra batteries for my Zero? Well, I came across an ad for Motion RC and saw an amazing looking plane - an A-10 Warthog. I've always loved the A-10 and never had an EDF before plus this plane uses 4S lipo's in the 3300 - 3600 range. Right now I use a 3000 and can go up and not worry about the weight difference. This plane has a 1100 wingspan and the thread on RCG has an A-10 mechanic who said this is the most scale looking version he has seen which speaks everything coming from a guy who actually works on them. (am I trying too hard to justify this purchase?) Right now I'm going to wait as impulse buying is never a good thing!

Mark

(hope Motion doesn't mind I borrowed thier picture)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6775__45317.1381621504.1020.1020[1].jpg
Views:	26
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1957608  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:31 PM
evdreamer

Mark,

I have thought about the computer engineering degree at school, but it uses a lot of discrete math and I don't enjoy that. I also don't like a lot of the tech electives required. Creating software is just a fun hobby. Designing electronics is more fun for me. If I could get a job in embedded systems that would be cool. It is a mixture of programming and hardware design. I get to take electronic tech electives next semester, so maybe I will start up some of my old electronic projects then.

That A-10 is cool.

Nick
Old 01-15-2014, 10:35 AM
JPEE

Hi Mark,

Thank for the kinds wishes for my Judy. This my AZ buddies. He is a top builder and flyer, take special note of his equipment used. I hear you on "impulsive buying". I drive the wife nuts when I see something cool and yak it up 24-7. She finally will say, go buy it if ya want but I am tired of hearing about, she goes on to say...... your over thinking this just buy it...lol. I have found know doubt like yourself that when you yak it up long enough to yourself and really study it and let some time go by and ask yourself do I "really" want it or not, for me it is usually not. To clarify, want it yes, need it and would use it...very little.
BTW, I can't tell you how many of these I have seen crash at the field, cheap ones where the motors are undersized and everything is exactly what "you paid for, next to nothing".

QUOTE:
Hi John, i've been working on this A-10....70mm twin edf's with two100A esc's, electric retracts, 6s lipo, it may go south to AZ this year.

Name:	RSCN0604.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1958048   Click image for larger version

Name:	RSCN0605.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1958049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1514.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	1958062   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1515.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	1958064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1517.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	1958065  

Last edited by JPEE; 01-15-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

I hear you on the impulse buying. Right now I can't afford to cough up the $240 for it so it'll have to wait. But I do plan to get batts for my Zero that will fit it so when I do finally come around to getting it I'll already have the lipo side completed. I know the A-10's have a bad track record - back in the day I saw one of those foamy GWS birds go in right after take off due to very weak motors and thrust. But I don't think the guys at Motion would offer something inferior and from the reviews it sounds like a winner.

Your friends A-10 is huge - I bet he'll need quite a large space for it which should be perfect for AZ.

The spacing on the Bixler sure is small. How did your modified prop work?

Nick,

I figured you'd go down the electical path more than a computer one, at least you have the knowledge to use the software development for a hobby/practical life, etc. Next semester sounds a bit like fun with the electronic tech electives you get to choose.

I think I finished my heli...now just need some time off (and nice weather) to do a maiden.

Mark

Name:	450L%20063.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1959296  

Last edited by Aframomum; 01-18-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:57 AM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Congratulations on completing the new helicopter! I'll bet your busting at the seams to get out there and give her, her maiden.

I took Joe to the field yesterday for his first flight of the new Bixler. We got there and the wind was just starting to come up so we hustled to get him airborne. She flies great, he was all over the place however. It is understandable after the little guy not flying for so long in my absents. He was over flying, his right stick was constantly getting inputs, perhaps he got that from flying his Quad or the Simulator. I took my radio and held the it with my right hand and just used the right stick she flew level and smooth. I held the radio up so he had to look over the radio to see the plane in the sky so he would know how little it needed input it really needed. Once we start flying often in May, then it will come back to him. We only got in two flights before most guys were grounded to high winds. We are going out tomorrow morning again.............we shall see.
As far as the prop chop, it worked great. It is so much stronger now, that when I hand launch it doesn't drop before she can catch up. The other thing that threw me off was that now instead of running 3/4 throttle I am down to a little more than midway between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle. I had to keep slowing down the plane as it was alive like the T-28 ya know.

NICK: A bit premature by 12:00 hours by my time BUT.......................... Happy Birthday!

JPEE
Old 01-20-2014, 02:53 AM
Aframomum

Nick,

Since its officially the 20th now...Happy Birthday!!

Do you have off from school today - if so, you deserve it!

Enjoy and eat some cake too!

Mark
Old 01-20-2014, 01:49 PM
evdreamer

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Mark,

That is cool you finished the 450.

I had today off from school. I had to work till midnight last night and be back to work at 7:30 this morning.

John,

That is good the new plane is flying good.

Nick
Old 01-25-2014, 01:43 AM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Glad you had off from school but it looks like work snagged you up. Hope you had an enjoyable birthday after getting some sleep.

JPEE,

I'm sure your Joe will get back in the swing of things with the flying once you start getting him out more. We all get a bit rusty but we do have years of experience to fall back on so he'll get there.

No maiden yet as i discovered I accidentally fouled up one of the bearings in the tail with loctite. The new slider assembly Align uses has 3 points of movement so that equates to 6 tiny flanged bearings with bolts that all need loctiting. Dang is what I'll say although I probably had different choice words at the time. Waiting for the replacement bearings to come in now.

In the meantime, - I decided to take a few steps back and instead of getting the A-10 I got a more beginners EDF from Motion...a Stinger 64 jet. From the reading it appears these EDF jets fly a bit differently then their prop counterparts so I figured I should start out on something that is a bit more durable and more forgiving, not to mention less expensive. So UPS is supposed to drop it off on Monday. This may turn out to be a busy maiden week for me between the Dominator and now this jet. lol.

Have a great weekend!

Mark

Name:	DSC_2524__96912_1379109755_1020_1020.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1961789  
Old 01-27-2014, 08:55 AM
JPEE

Hi Nick,

I am glad your Birthday was a good one! The years are on the move for you now. For me the life birthday milestones were 13 to be a teenage, 15 1/2 to get my driver's permit which in those days you could ride a motorcycle but needed and adult in the car until you were 16, 18 to be a man and join the service if you wanted to and.... to no longer have a curfew, 21 to go into a Bar "legally" lol, 25 for my auto insurance rates to drop.

Hi Mark,

Well well well....... good for you. I like the Stinger. I went on You Tube to check it out and that punk hauls butt! I really like the lines too. I am afraid it is a bit to fast for me, perhaps not in a big wide open area, but to fly that you need youth and nimble fingers mister, your the guy for the job! I think this was the right choice for you in stepping back from the Warth Hog to look into something EDF that handles a bit more easier.
Sorry to read about the Loc-tite, but we have all done that at one time or another believe me. Good luck on both maidens my friend

I broke down and bought my grandson a Micro Horizon Zone "Champ" which is the replacement for the Cub. The whole kit RTF with TX, charger, battery, and plane 119.00 very reasonable. And it can be bound to his DX6i should we ever want to the go that way. Right now everything fits in the box which has a handle on it so you can carry the whole "kit and kabootle: like a small suite case.

You see, he is worried when we leave again he will be grounded with just his MQX Quadcopter. It has gotten a bit boring for him because he only goes up and down and side to side. Not being here enough to show him the in's and out's of also horizontal flying. He still likes it but he wanted a plane, that is his passion...planes. So after searching and reading for a few days on what he can fly alone at the park or on the school quad grass area that won't hurt anyone should he hit them I came up with this Champ. It literally will land itself should you get crossed up or loose site (20" top wing length" you merely shut off the throttle and she will float down and land because.............she is light as a feather and weighs in at 1 oz. with battery!!! Here is a video of his first flight. He did a bit of a bounc'e landing but the breeze had started and had gotten under him. By the time he flew all 4 packs has was much better and after re-explaining to him to take off into the wind and land into the wind he nailed it down. The next day he walked to the Park and did 4 more packs. PROBLEM: he came in low and landed and an "unleaded dog" ran for the plane! YIKES..... he had to beat that dog or the plane or it would have been toast. Now he makes sure of his surroundings a little better. It is my fault, I never thought to warn him about that. I had a dog come after my 500 ESP after landing one time myself.

BE SURE TO CHOOSE HD ON YOU TUBE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jceUH3qHysc Take care all and good luck Mark

Name:	champ-rtf925.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1962498  

Last edited by JPEE; 01-27-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:27 AM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

The champ looks to be a real good plane for Joe to practice on while your away. In the video I didn't see any cord so I take it he was flying on his own? He was doing real good with controlling it. It appears you guys were flying at a basketball court or something similiar - the size really opens up flying opportunities as you don't need a lot of space. And as you said it doesn't weigh anything so if an accident were to happen no real worry of major injury.

Yeah, no fun with unleashed dogs and flying things. I had one go after my nitro 40 plane some years ago and it got him in the ribs. This was at a flying field too. Dog just got some bruising and my plane a cracked rudder.

My Stinger came in yesterday afternoon. I had the chance to look it over and am impressed. This is my second foam model from one of the major manufacturers (FMS and Freewing) - they really are taking things to amazing levels with these models. One thing I noticed immediately is the horizontal stab, rudder, and wing all get screwed onto the fuse - almost no gluing required. How nice is that?!

Mark

Name:	Stinger EDF.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	1962752  
Old 01-28-2014, 07:53 AM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Your new Stinger look great! I agree with on the FMS quality and simplistic build system they have. That is about all I had to do on the 51. Screw in the elevator and the horizontal stabilizer and screw on the main wing halves for the most part and your done. Your Stinger looks about the same. Did Motion pack you a goody in the shipment?

You Joe was flying solo and that was his first flight too. When he got in the air I reminded him "there's no buddy box here my boy"! His reply was "oh yea your right" GULP! I explained your big guy now and have the skill to do this and he did, he burned all four packs. Then the next day he walked up alone and did the same without issue. He is on cloud 9 now, Mr. Big Stuff gets his plane out, charges his flying batteries and walks up alone and flies! He is walking tall he he he. BTW were at a Grammar School play ground with a football size grass area then the asphalted playground for a take off area.

Godda run now...........................Bye
Old 01-28-2014, 08:41 AM
Aframomum

Just wanted to post some pics of my finished birdie before I hit the sack...this was the fastest build I ever did!

G'night all!

Mark

Name:	Stinger Jet 005.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	4.72 MB
ID:	1962801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stinger Jet 009.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	1962802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stinger Jet 007.jpg
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	1962803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stinger Jet 002.jpg
Size:	4.41 MB
ID:	1962804  
Old 01-28-2014, 11:39 PM
Aframomum

JPEE,

Yep, Motion gave me some cool packaged mints!

The plane was very easy as all I did was run some wires and screwed in the tail and wing sections. I also checked the ducted fan assembly to make sure everything was tight - no problems there. I think my biggest surprise was when I hooked everything to my rx all the surfaces were perfectly aligned - no adjustments needed. Now when have you ever heard of that happening??

I decided to go with the landing gear for now just to see how she flies on them then maybe remove them later on to see if there is any difference. For now they are on there with bath and tile sealant so it can come out relatively easy with no damage to the foam (verses epoxy for instance - a EDF foamy guy on RCG made the suggestion to use sealant).

I need to hook up the EDF to my watt meter to see how close to the 30 amps its coming that the stock ESC is listed for...there was some concern that some people were getting numbers close to 30 amps but not alot of reports of planes falling out of the sky. So this way I'll know for sure...maybe some guys had their fans rubbing which would up the amp draw. One thing is certain...I did a 1/4 throttle quick run up and there is some power coming out.

I see Joe is gaining his confidence again...by the time you are ready to go he should be at a very good place to go out on his own. The school grounds looked to be perfect for the plane. Don't laugh but I had to look up grammer school to make sure it was K - 5 and not middle school like I was thinking.

Mark
Old 01-30-2014, 08:34 AM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

That's great that everything aligned up and the setup was so simple for you, as we say FMS rules! Where you spoke of "bath and tile" sealant are you saying Silicon Caulking? Many of the guys here fly those types of EDF Jets and as I mentioned before some are so so lacking in umph and power so you have to watch for that. However in your model I doubt that will be an issue. On the other hand, just this week were talking at the field and the one guy reminded us of the time he flew by and smoke was coming out of the tail as he screamed by just for that reason, it was on fire! Everything fried inside the plane. So absolutely run it up motor and see what how many amps she is drawing. The attached pictures are about something that caught my eye as I looked at your photos. I do not see safety bands on your linkage clevises. I make these from fuel tubing and just use a razor blade and cut of a piece about 1/8" to 3/16". This is your protection that the clevis will never open in flight under stress.

Don't know where I left it with Joe here, but since I have been back we have only flown twice at his field. The first day there was some breeze and he was all over the place flying up and down and he could not hold and even plain. I thought he lost his touch ans was disappointed! Then two days later we went back with no breeze, a perfectly still day and he flew like the plane was a track, a purrrrrfect 6 flights which is the day I had the glitch I wrote about, I think and we went down in the canyon. Anyway, that day showed me his skills were right there where I left him the last time were were out a month ago. I was hand launching but he was landing on all 6 flights. Back to the Champ, I took it off and go it up to see how her trim was and once I was done with that I gave it over to him on the flight in the video. There was a bit of breeze and that's why he was kind of all over the place landing. As he came in he was not landing into the wind and then the air kept going under the belly and lifting and stalling from the side. After that landing I had to remind him of taking off and landing into the wind/breeze and to always keep the sun to his back. He is used to the "structure" of the Air Fields where taking off and landing are limited to left to right or the opposite. After he flew all 5 packs he was doing much better, but the wind had come up so we had to fold it up for that day. The next day he walked up to the Park and flew 4 packs on all on his lonesome! He said he did pretty good. With school in and now, grey and rainy weather here his said "my Champ is tucked away it is box safe and warm waiting for good weather" lol.

Regarding school terms, when I came up as a child back in the old days, Grammar School was K-6, Junior High School was 7th through 10th grades, High School was 11th through the 12th. Now they are called by other names of which I am not familiar other than Junior High is now called "Middle School".

Hope you guys liked the battery video I sent you. This morning I did 11 AAA batteries and 1 D size I had laying around and I can tell you for certain.............. it works , because I had my volt meter right there too. I didn't know that electrons weighed so much LMAO................

Smiles JPEE

Name:	IMG_1565.JPG
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	1963602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1566.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	1963603  
Old 01-31-2014, 10:01 PM
Aframomum

Hey JPEE,

You've got some good eyes to catch something like missing clevis retainers - thanks for the reminder. They actually were included I just pushed them forward b/c I thought I would have to do some adjustments after hooking up the radio. But they are on now. As you can see there was no flying today as it has been nasty cold and misting for the past 2 days. This weekend is looking promising. I tested out the unit on my Watt meter and the highest it drew was 17.5 amps...well below the 30 the esc is rated for. Plus with this plane being out since 2011 not too many reports of it falling out of the sky fried on a stock system - now guys that hop it up with a 4s and try to use the stock system that's another story.

That's great news for Joe. One thing I wanted to mention to you though, about a new plank pilot...don't set him on any kind of training schedule (in your mind). Just let him enjoy the time he gets to spend with you and progress at his own pace. If he seems 'off' on day and ok the next that could just be his learning style. The last thing you want is for this thing you guys have is to turn into a chore for him.

I know my first year flying planks I crashed a lot, lost site of my plane, got so frustrated with myself as one week I could nail a landing but the next botch it so bad that it required repair back at the hanger that night. But he's doing a superb job and getting the experience of using different flying areas and your being a great mentor (and grandfather!). Okay, I'll step down now...

Lets see...school breakdown for my son is: PreK - 5 is elementary, 6 - 8 is middle school, and 9 - 12 is high school. How strange thinking of my son in high school - he just turned 5 last month! lol

I don't think I got any video from you about AAA and D batteries. What did you do?

Have a great weekend and I hope the weather gives you a break.

Mark

Name:	Stinger 001.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	3.96 MB
ID:	1964243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stinger 003.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	1964244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stinger 006.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	1964245  

Last edited by Aframomum; 01-31-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:44 AM
JPEE

Hi Mark,

I hear you. In the beginning while giving him input while in flight. After he had the basic's down I know advise him before he takes off and then I let him go. I also now stand behind him as far back as the cord will allow so he has no distraction or feel he is being graded on his flying. At this point I also believe if I am standing with him, he has that sense he can at any moment say TAKE IT. Standing behind him he gets so intent on his flying that "I feel" for the moment..... he thinks he is alone and he has to be in total control and work in his in-stinks and skill. I also tell him if he gets off school at 3:00 and his homework is done and he get approval from his mom, I'll jump in the truck and run out there (12 miles) and take him to the open dirt field close by and he can take up the Bixler. Now it is all on him, in fact he turned down a fly day because he wanted to go to Dodger Stadium to see Super Motocross. Good for him, diversity I say. I appreciate your insightful input.

I was at my buddies house today and he has a 3D printer and was making a part. I took some video during the process. I came home and edited them together.
Remember before you start the video hit the HD key on the right side. What I did not say in the video is......... as the machine starts it lays down a weaving or cloth like pattern much like yellow fiber glass drywall tape, netting look. That allows the machine to build the part over it so it is easy to life off after cooling from the 3D copiers bed without damaging it. There are more than 30,000 files for making near anything you can think of too, all free of charge. This "thing" he made was made in "a low resolution" copy if you will. When they are sure the item is to spec, then just like a computer printer you up it to "High Resolution" so it comes out smooth and near flawless. Enjoy, it is a 4 min video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SU1_sQLeyxE
Old 02-02-2014, 07:12 AM
evdreamer

Happy B-Day John!

Mark,

That is a cool EDF jet. The guys at my club like to bring their EDF's out at fun flys here. It makes an interesting sound when there are 10+ jets out at once.

John,

Joe's cub looks pretty cool.

That 3D printer was pretty cool.

There is not much going on here. I have been busy with school. I started to learn how to use software standard in the industry to design PCB's. It isn't very user friendly compared to the software I am used to, but there are more features. My lab partners and I just had to layout components for a simple single stage amp. The EE shop at school will make the PCB from the file we sent them and we will put the parts on in a couple of weeks.

Nick
Old 02-02-2014, 11:40 AM
JPEE

Thank you Nick for your thoughtful wishes!

Just taking it easy today and then going to a Super Bowl gathering SLASH Birthday Party. Grub and cake, in the words of Al Bundy.....Peg, it don't get no better than that!

Very cool here for sunny cal........ extremely cool, I mean jacket weather for us here lol. It is near noon and it is 57 with winds eek!

Sorry some of your school work is so "non fun" but yet still challenging. Send the PCB file to me and we'll make it on the 3D Printer lmao!

Take care, John
Old 02-03-2014, 02:13 AM
Aframomum

Aw shucks...I missed it!!!!

Sorry JPEE but Happy Belated Birthday!

Hope you had a great day getting waited on and topped the day off with a dinner fit for a king.

You deserve it for sure!

Mark
Old 02-04-2014, 04:05 PM
JPEE

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the good wishes, early, on time or late I want them ALL..............I guess I am selfish. They say you only have one Birthday, and the rest are anniversaries of your "birth-date" !

Yep fun was had by all.... my friend. Due to the Super Bowl falling on my Birthday and that both of my daughters had to work on Sunday we celebrated a day early on Saturday. They met my request for good grub which was BBQ from the best place in town. A complete trio tray with, ribs, chicken, tri-tip, beans, taters and such. Grandson baked my requested chocolate cupcakes and all was great. We all gave up Birthdays cakes because believe it or not, the grands kids just for the most part don't like sweets, they do not drink sodas either! Then on Super Bowl Sunday we were invited to the wife's grand niece's house for.....Super Bowl Sunday, her parents Anniversary, and my Birthday. They were kind enough to have a cake made that read on top, Happy Anniversary and Happy Birthday. Everyone there sang HB to me then they re-sang the song but sang happy anniversary everywhere happy birthday should be............ha ha ha it was a blast.

It is still butt cold here, some rain on Sunday and more coming Friday. They call it rain, we call it piddling, just enough to make the roads dangerous ya know. Boy looks like you, Nick and Glenn are really in for it again too.

Be safe and............Thanks

Name:	IMG_1618.PNG
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	1965488  
Old 02-05-2014, 01:24 AM
Aframomum

JPEE,

What a great weekend you just had...birthday, anniversary, and SuperBowl all combined into one. Wow! And the BBQ sounded great with a special side of homemade cupcakes.

Sorry to hear about the cold weather. Hope you get a bit of a break before the next system moves in. The weather here has, crazy as it sounds, been very mild the past few days. I know Nick and Glenn (and most of the rest of the northern US) have been covered in snow so I hope they do well for the next round coming the end of the week.

Speaking of weather, I plan to get 2 maidens in tomorrow morning. I got the Stinger ready and charged up and the 450L is finally ready to go too - new bearings installed and not gooped up with loctite this time. Taking the video camera so I'll have something to share.

I wonder if you can tell the charge of a lipo by dropping it on a table like the AAA batt test? On second thought, maybe not a good idea.

Take care,

Mark
Old 02-05-2014, 08:10 AM
JPEE

Mark, I wish you all of the fun and good luck there is on two maidens for one day! Take your time and listen to your little voice, haste makes waste, RC waste that is.
I can't wait for the videos whoo hoo I am excited!!!!!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Aframomum

Some days are just not meant to be...grrrr!

2 maidens...2 failures!

First sign...forgot my hat for the hat cam so just had the camera.

Next, spooled up the heli to do a headspeed check using my newly downloaded headspeed app and forgot to tighten up the grub screw on the pinion. Headspeed never made it over 2000 before I was rewarded with a nice loud squeel as the pinion let go. Ugh.
(The heli's fine so try again tomorrow morning)

And last...can we all say reversed aerilons??? Never saw a jet (or plane for that matter) do 3 axial rolls so darn fast upon takeoff! Couldn't quite wrap my brain around what was happening. (such a newbie mistake ) But looking on the brightside, the foam on this plane is very sturdy as it just ripped the rudder off and dented the nose cone piece. So an easy fix.

Some days it just isn't worth it you know...

Mark (with personal dark cloud over ones head)

Name:	Maiden Day 005.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	1965674  

Last edited by Aframomum; 02-05-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:16 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

I could not believe your post when I read it. I was sitting in the Barber Shop and my mouth dropped! Now that the shock is over and I have studied your plane I see a small dent under the nose and of course the tail stabilizer. But thank goodness you bought a FMS so it had need some parts they would have just screwed right on and you'd be back in business. Let me share something embarrassing with you. After I built Joe's Bixler and T-28 I came in and fired up my SIM to see the action of the ailerons.............. some will me stupid, I call it "insurance". I just don't have enough daily experience with planes. To step back for a sec, when I had to re-bind the 450 Pro two weeks ago I had to give it a bit of thought but I had the new Model put into the radio and all trims set in 15 min or less. My "pit-fall" is the tail and getting the tail rotor to tip the blades the right way. Even though I was done and knew they were right "I" still spooled it up real slow to a 1/4 throttle and then move the rudder to stick and make sure she slipped on the driveway the left and right the right way.

Regarding the heli, are you speaking to the grub screw for the tail drive? I am sorry that you set out with such high hopes today for a fantastic day and then it all went south.

For the dark cloud I offer this;
Attached Images  

Last edited by JPEE; 02-05-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Aframomum

Hey guys,

I was able to fix up my Stinger and switch the aerilons so I won't be getting any more rapid rolls into the ground. The weather was not looking good at all but I decided to take a chance and try to get a flight in between the storms.

I can say the plane flew finally and wow does it move! It did catch me by surprise at the speed and how fast this thing rolls...blistering fast roll rate. The flight didn't last too long as it started raining part way into my flight so I did an approach to practice then just decided to come in regardless...the landing was really hot and bouncy to say the least, not to mention rushed. But I got to see her fly and it was great! I see this as being a fun plane once I get some more flights on her.

Sorry about the video as this has to be my worst, the hat cam was a bit too low and so a good portion of the flight is missed as you only get to hear the plane and catch glipses of it...but the takeoff and landings are there so that makes it worth it.

https://vimeo.com/86076027

JPEE,

Thanks for the umbrella gesture...it helped me to get over my storm and get a good maiden in.

The grub screw I was talking about was for the motor pinion and I got that taken care of last night,
but decided to wait until the weather is nicer for that maiden.

Mark

Last edited by Aframomum; 02-06-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.