Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 12:25 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick,

I think your talking about 'Air Dog':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqO19Os12BI#t=105
Old 02-09-2015, 06:27 PM
JPEE

Hello guys,

Mark, you have my sympathies on the first spool up. Just because a were adults doesn't mean sometimes we get in a hurry and are so excited we missed the obvious, don't feel bad it was a low cost and an easy repair and being consoled by your child bride was probably the best part of the whole thing! I am glad to hear that your second timeout she proved herself to be airworthy so when your new blades arrive you'll be good to go. Mark, just how big is that copter I can't tell if it's a 500, 550, 600 size I'm not familiar with that craft. It sure looks different with his pants down I've never seen Airframe like that in my life except a Goblin.

No flying or anything going on here beyond rain on Saturday and today was very warm, sunny and blue skies like Montana. Oh I guess I forgot, I did put my three big solar panels (135 watt of 12 vt DC at 8 amps each) up on my roof today and because I've had it portable for some time I used an extension cords to parallel them together and long one to bring my power that I generate in my garage to hook to the regulator and deep cycle batteries. My goal this week is to get the Rome X run in the attic and down the wall and then take it out through a roof gable vent and into a conduit over to the solar panels on the roof surface. But for now and extension cord hanging off the back of the house is doing the job. It's we really weird for me to comprehend I can sit there and charge batteries, watch my 42 inch TV, run my electric fan on my bench, run the clothes dryer and a light above my head all independent of the house power and it's all free. I tried running the washing machine but it draws a strong 9.5 amps of 120 vt which is about 1000 watts and my clear sine invertor will only handle a 1000 watt constant ( or just a .5 map under) and a 2000 watt surge so I am just under the happy spot for the washer. Thank you anyway Mr. Sun in the sky :-)

Last edited by JPEE; 02-09-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:19 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

JPEE,

I never knew you had solar panels to provide private electricity for yourself, that is very interesting. Many of the houses here in the Orlando region have solar panels affixed to the roofs to provide heating for the pools. The solar panels actually do the heating of the water directly by installed plumbing that takes water from the pool, runs it up to the panels, then returns it to the pool, heated.

How long ago did you get the equipment to do the solar install?

I did pick up a new set of blades due to my mishap, a bit of an expensive lesson learned for rushing - $86 for mains and tail blades. The Outrage Fusion 50 heli was originally a 600 size that ran on 12S and used 620 blades but mine has the conversion kit which shrinks it down to a 550 size and uses 550 blades and runs on 6S.

I have to say it has some interesting design features for a heli that came out in 2011 and has had very little done to it since. The bell cranks are a new thing for me and I have to say its nice getting away from the DFC design that Align has on most of their heli's. I had to figure out what adjustable phasing is as this heli has it, but after a bit of research it became semi clear. The side loading of the battery is also a nice change. The head setup was much easier then I had anticipated with the bellcranks and despite the age all the bolts needed just a slight cleaning but were solid and no issues with stripping the heads. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised.

Mark

Last edited by Aframomum; 02-15-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:51 AM
evdreamer

Mark,

The DJ mixer will have an equalizer for the bass, mid, and treble. There will be volume controls for both input channels and one for the output. It will have two scratchers. Then there will be a frequency spectrum on a touch screen color LCD. One of my partners is working on the user interface, then two are working on the audio amps and power supply, then one is making a light display that changes with the beat. I am working on the DSP side of things. I made my first real time digital filter to remove the bass from a song. I am a little worried my processor isn't powerful enough to do everything we want to do.

My spring break starts on Mar 22nd.

I have started applying for summer internships. All the ones I have found that are interesting are out in Omaha, so that would be a long drive every day. One of my co-workers said there is an interesting electronic place by my current job, so I will see if they have any internships. My boss hired someone that will replace me when I graduate, so that will help out if I get an internship this summer.

I did the same thing with my Furion 6 on the first spool up. Mine damaged the main blades and the boom. That is good you are enjoying the new heli.

John,

That is cool you are enjoying the solar panels. They have always fascinated me.

Nick
Old 02-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Just wanted to quickly post a video of my test hovers from last week.

Sorry I didn't get to edit them so they are kinda long and drawn out. 4:07 starts the second hover which is much better then the first as I had new blades on not to mention I finally got all the settings in my radio entered. I actually forgot to enter in the rudder gyro settings in the radio so it was defaulted to inhibit and so the first hover was a real handful. Didn't realize my error until later that afternoon when going through the radio settings and saw it. Yikes!

https://vimeo.com/119911155

Mark

Last edited by Aframomum; 02-17-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:43 AM
JPEE

Hello Mark,
My friend Jason had them on his garage to carry everything there and a switch over to feed the house in a power failure. He had an array of solar batteries 100 in all to give a him 120vt of DC which was inverted to A/C. I bought his system less the batteries as they are hugely expensive and at my age are not worth the investment. So I bought his 3 panels, and regulator and he gave me a birthday gift a 1000 watt 2000 watt surge invertor that tie to the batteries. He just spent like 35-40K on a huge solar system that cover the entire front of his home to carry the whole house with out batteries and power his two Teslas cars. At night time he gets back his overage charging from the daytime to run the house at night. The regulator takes in the 12 vt from my panels, carries that over to the battery input to keep them charged and then it has a port for me to draw up to 30 amps of 12 vt out for lighting and accessories. From that port I have a pigtail to plug in my RC chargers for straight to the system. Now I if I start charging 6S packs then I use my power supply and plug that into my 1000 watt invertor. Now in the video you'll see I am an error in my statement. The top read out is the battery voltage, the second is the AMPs coming off the roof (I said volts "wrongly") then you'll see the 12 vt port to the right with a little light bulb icon. I run the invertor straight off of the batteries for a more direct and draw through heavier wire to for extended load. As I mention in the video I will be buying batteries (2ea. 6 vt) Trojan 150E electric gold cart batteries, why? Solar batteries are reallllllllll expensive. I only want this set up for the garage or for earthquake readiness the next step down is cart batteries at $150.00 You get to monster 6vt packs and the connect them in series so you have 12 vt. My old RV batteries only have 85 amps each giving me 170 amps to burn, the cart are 265 each do I'll have 530 amps! now that is some off the grid power for me today from. My 1000 watt invertor only gives me a steady 970 watts. My washing machine need a 9.9 amps 1050 watts but I can run my dryer from the solar. So down the line I'll keep my eyes open for a 4K invertor with a 2K constant running of nearly 20 amps.

Pool solar panels are a bit different, we use them here in Ca. The black piping with the black screening sucks up the sun. Then you upgrade with a larger pump to meet whats call "head pressure" which is a big term that says how much horse power to life that water from the pool up to the roof panels. They are supper efficient I am told and that while you pool pumps in daily for it normal cycle your heating for very little more electricity.

Glad to read that the repairs on the copter were reasonable. The side battery mount is different to say the least as I remarked before, a very unique frame indeed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdC5gEV3eVI&feature=player_embedded
Old 02-18-2015, 08:57 AM
JPEE

Mark,
Your video was great. Smart move to make the first hover in driveway that way toy tools and bench are close at hand for any fine turning. Then out at you bigger are you were able to get up out of your prop wash and did much much better! Congratulation my friend.

Nick,
Sound like your knee deep into the DJ equipment for your school project. Sounds like everyone is making progress nicely. I sure hope you can get your internship comes up to the places closer for you to drive especially in the bad weather months.

Take care guys
Old 02-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Nick,

Very interesting your project with the mixer...you guys sound like your going to pack a whole lot of functions into it. The digital filter to remove certain frequencies from a song, is that like what a crossover in a car audio system does? To only allow certain frequencies to go to certain speakers, such as mids, tweeters, and subwoofers? A really good project selection. BTW - who's going to be the DJ?

Hope you guys have some nice warmer weather for your spring break.

Good luck on the intership application and hope the electronic place lead works out.

I think we've all done something goofy with our heli's while trying to rush a flight. At least lesson learned in the end.

JPEE,

Your solar setup is simply amazing, and more simple than I imagined. All the equipment your able to run in your garage - all solar provided. It looks like you bolted the panels directly to the roof by some brackets, so they are not just 'laying' on the roof but rather 'floating' above it? Definitely an interesting setup you've got there.

Was your house built with an entire attic or just a portion of one? Reason I'm asking is b/c my house I had built in 2007 only had a portion attic (was setup over one bedroom only). I felt very shortchanged when I saw the plans but it seems most recent construction do this. I suppose the days of having an attic go the entire length of the house are gone.

We had a very cold front come through and had some of our most cold days this whole winter this week. 37 in the mornings is dang cold for us! But it looks like its going to be short lived as we will be warming up this weekend, but its still cold right now!

Have a good weekend coming up you two!

Mark
Old 02-20-2015, 02:08 PM
JPEE

Hello Guys,

Yes Mark the house has a full attic over the entire house as this house was built in 1961 and has no vaulted ceilings so everything is in the attic area. The garage is even better and I'll try to explain. It it had a "A" typical pitched roof. When I doubled the size of the garage 22'w X 43'depth the peek of the roof was extended up in the air higher on it existing degree of pitch and towards the back yard about 6' higher than it had been. Then when they brought down the back side of the roof to meet the added 22' in length it all flowed. I did not want to see from the street some funky looking not thought out well addition. No one has any idea driving by that the garage is 43' deep and is a drive through. The bonus was that is elevating the cent of the garages roof line made it so nice I can go in the attic over the garage and stand up and walk around in 25% of it and it makes good storage too for Christmas stuff and such. The other I thing I did was place in the attic a new HVAC unit so the garage can be cooled or heated separate from the house. The garage space walls and ceilings are all dry-walled and insulated too. It is a man cave to say the least. I can set a few table out and work on RC stuff and sit in comfort.

Yes the solar is elevated about 4" above the roof for a few reasons. If you ever consider Solar it needs to go on on a nearly new roof, senseless any other way. I made mine so I can pull those panels complete in 1 hour. My roof is 20 years old of its expected life of 30 years. And yes I have L brackets screwed down through the roof from the panels. But as I said, in an hour I could peel off that solar and the let the roofers have it. Also it protects that leaves and such don't get caught or collect under the panels and make a dam of rotting vegetation and back water up under the shingles. Then there is the point that light and heat do come through the panel so it has to be up those few inches let the air come under much like a chimney and cool off the panels too. Lastly on the big set ups there is metal conduit and big racks fro the panels that has to be run around the roof and you have to be able to access the both of the panel for convenience.

We saw your recent weather down there in Old Florida and you've been really cold and more is on the way I think I saw this morning too!

You guys take care. JPEE
Old 02-22-2015, 09:40 AM
evdreamer

Mark,

That video reminded me of the good times with my Outrage 50. I don't know if your fusion has a washer between the main gear and the lower bearing block, might mine shrank over time on the 50. That would create up and down play.

Yeah, a crossover would use a cheap analog filter to filter out unwanted frequencies to the different types of speakers. We haven't decided who will demonstrate our project yet.

John,

Your solar setup looks cool. That is impressive that your inverter can take a small DC voltage and efficiently step it up to 120VAC.

Nick
Old 02-22-2015, 10:47 AM
JPEE

Hello Guys,

Nick, it's pretty impressive that you can take 12 V DC and push it up to 120 V AC with an inverter. But to do that of course you lose a lot of amperage in the conversion. That's why you generally carry a larger array of batteries to make up for what you lose pushing it up to that 120 V ac so you have enough "stores of amps" to run something for an extended period as it really consumes your batteries in the conversion. For the time being as I believe I wrote earlier I'm just using 2 ea. 12 V batteries from my RV that are deep cycle marine that are 4 years old and just at the point of the end of their lives. I'm going to buy for the solar set up what are called (brand name Trojan "generally used for electric golf carts) batteries 6 V each weighing 60 pounds + each and then series those to give me 12 V. Each battery having approximately 225 amps hours. Right now each 12 V battery that I have in parallel only have 85 amp hours each so as you can see there's a huge difference going from 170 amps to 450 amp hours to have in my storage bank so to speak. Also the golf cart batteries are made to take much more abuse than a light duty deep cycle battery for a recreational vehicle. There's also something you may or not be familiar with....... but when you buy these inverters like from Harbor freight that'll take 12 V push it up to 400 W or 800 W 120 vt. for $19-$50 they are not "purse sine" sending signal types. The cheaper inverters work for running like a drill motor, or a grinder, machinery motors there okay for most people who put them on their truck to use on the job if I had to run some electricity where there is none available. They are also very good for lighting. But the "pure sign" inverters are more costly and are for commercial-residential use because the signal on the oscilloscope goes top to bottom top to bottom with a nice rhythm. The cheaper ones have what is called "a modified sine" wave and you lose powe with those and they go down and then have a flat spot at the bottom on your scope to the next up rise and that's where you lose energy and that kind of a sine wave can burn up electronics computers battery chargers,TVs things like that. "check out the attachment". As I said, I can run the TV the TV box and control anything I want to my workbench with the 1000 watt with a 2000 watt surge with the inverter that I have now. However, my existing inverter will push the clothes dryer and "not push my washing machine" because it draws just right at 10 amps and what and I get about 970 watts from my invertor which is just under 10 amps needed to push that washer machine so the inverter trips out presently. If I stumble onto a 3000-4000 W inverter then I'll be able to run the washing machine and dryer off the battery array and inverter. Also, when you're drawing that kind of amperage with only a few batteries like I'm going to run then you want to do your laundry in the middle of the day where I can pull 20 amps off my panels and be burning power live without even pulling from the batteries in some cases. If you think about it...... I can take my entire garage with all of the lighting all of the accessories and wash and dry our clothes all annually for free off the sun that starts to mount up and gives a pretty fast payback on my investment. Lastly, I just want to point out that a lot of people will have 10 batteries giving them 120 V of DC current then running that through the inverter there's no stepping it up it just slides through and is converted from 120 V DC to 120 V AC.
To be dead honest with you I at my age the investment of complete house Solar System is not prudent, I'll be going to the big helicopter round up in the sky before I would ever get my investment back. This system that I built is more for earthquakes, emergency power outages and kind of a hobby. I do have a second regulator and controller that I will be taking with me when I make my trips to Arizona and a lot of the guys have a solar panel they set out just to charge their RV batteries even though they are connected to RV power. Then charge their plane and helicopter batteries off of that system for free! When your there for 6 months and are an RCer as most are then that really helps.The RV park in Arizona charges more for the electricity per kilowatt then we pay at home so that's why a lot of guys do that. It's the boondockers that camp in the open desert for the 6 months that have huge systems mounted on their RV roofs to provide themselves ALL of the their power needs.

Trojan T-105 Deep Cycle Flooded BatteryBCI Group Size: Group Size GC2
Chemistry: Conventional (Wet Cell)
Rating: 6V 225Ah
Dimensions (LxWxH): 10.38 x 7.13 x 10.88 in.
Weight (lbs.): 62
Hazmat Class: Class 8, Spillable
Warranty: 18 Months

My neighbor called me yesterday just after he drove and said HEY! there is a yard sale around the corner with RC airplanes. Boy I just in the car and drove around block only to find he has all while foamy Cub with some of the struts missing but otherwise all there and a nitro had to be a 48" wing balsa plane he said he had $1,400 in and he wanted $400. Not for me................. I'll take with the elect everything I have.

Smiles Guys
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	2075434  
Attached Images  

Last edited by JPEE; 02-22-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:44 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Nick,

My Fusion has a washer between the main gear and the middle bearing block. The lower bearing block is adjustable and I check for head play before each flight and make sure the bottom block bolts are still tight. If I notice some play I'll keep that washer in mind, so thanks for the heads up.

Still getting used to the noisy gear train and having to grease all the gears periodically. One added step to my preflight is to check for any tiny pebbles or dirt trapped in the gears since I'm sure the grease attracts that stuff. On the forums they recommended to avoid taking off from dirt as you would have to double your efforts to keeping the gears clear.

On my old car audio systems I had both the crossover which had dials so you could select the hz range for your speakers and also separate small tube-like devices that would connect in-line with the speaker cables (usually only on the positive side) and had a pre-determined range that it would filter out and was not adjustable. Gee, that was many years ago when I was into all that car audio stuff. lol

JPEE,

Alright, you perked my curiosity on the whole solar thing.

So instead of paying the high electric rates in the AZ park can you share solar panels or do you take the ones from your house roof and hook them up to the regulator and controller (that your taking with you) and mount the panels to your truck roof or RV roof? I suppose the panels would produce the electricity to power your appliances in your RV (coffee maker, microwave?, stove?, refrigerator?, interior lights?, TV?, hot water heater?...I'm just guessing here) but not all on at the same time obviously. Would you also take with you the golf cart batts that you spoke of?

Really a novice when it comes to all this.

I've found that many of the RC stuff you come across at garage sales are usually outdated nitro's or planes in questionable shape - but still worth a look just in case.

Mark
Old 02-26-2015, 06:55 PM
JPEE

Mark,

No I was gonna keep one panel for AZ and take the controller and inverter with for the 5-6 months we are there. What I did was put all three on this roof permanently as shown in the video. Now I just bought another controller and will keep my eyes out for some used panels. I just missed out as Jason and another friend just bought a pallet of new used foreclosed/repossessed panels 28 in all to split on their two homes as additions to their exiting systems. Had I mentioned it to Jason I might have been able to get in on the buy. They are all over used, but you do have to know how old they are and types. The invertor is two screws and 2 wing nuts and in 30 seconds it is ready for AZ unless I get the bigger one here for the garage. Once there in AZ I would have to make a ground rack so with stand the winds we get on occasion and then easy to break down and to store there locked up inside the trailer over the hot summer when we are not there. The batteries I dont know yet. I just found out that Costco carries a good LIKE battery for $82 rather than the name brand for $130 each so I am looking at that this weekend. You cannot leave batteries there for 6 months in the summer heat, they will dry out and go dead! So the toting back and forth looks real. But they can also be use on my other Toy Hauler I keep here for trip to Oregon to see my friend. I look at all angles so everything can be multi use when possible.
Your right on yard sale RC stuff for sure! Good luck with the Fusion my friend.

You two guys take care!
JPEE

Last edited by JPEE; 02-26-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:06 PM
Aframomum

JPEE,

Sorry you missed out on the panel buyout...but I'm sure you'll come across something else in the future that will meet your needs. I hear you on the need to multi-use the batteries, so that works out.

I was able to get a flight in with the F50 this morning. Been having some crazy weather as it was 83 on Sunday and today in the low 50's as we had a storm front move in yesterday. The winds ahead of this front were very high the past few days, but today they died down enough that I made a go for it.

Suffice it I am very rusty and so most of the flight is just getting used to flying a heli again. Plus the cold weather was getting to me so I cut my flying short. But I did get to see my new heli flying and got a bit of feel of her habits. Looking forward to some warmer (and sunny) weather.

https://vimeo.com/120802974 Mark

Just in case the video doesn't show: https://vimeo.com/120802974

Last edited by Aframomum; 02-27-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:40 AM
JPEE

Hello Guys,

I loved your video Mark. I was there with in spirit as I heard your labored breathing and stress/excitement in your voice as you readied yourself for the flight, all very understandable and something we here have all experienced. I first watched your video when you posted last night on my phone. Too small to really appreciate it though right after and take off and the first time you swung right and I heard the motor dig in like "OH CRAP" I am not where I should be.......... grabbed my attention! Now this morning on a full size screen it was much better and clearer as to your flying and I could really see how well you did. I congratulate you flying in the breeze and the gray skies of which I cannot fly in those gray skies. The wind or breeze is nothing anymore for any of us. But you flew "her" really, but as I said in the first few minutes when you flew left to right and got real low and you goosed her then I new you were caught of guard for a second. When you said you lost your orientation I didn't see that. All in all I love the sound as she spooled up and there were times I could hear the gear train but nothing different than my old Blade 400. By the way help with with the size of that heli, about a 500-550 size? You are blessed to have that area for flying a copters, I know it has proved bad juu juu (luck) sometimes for the planes as the street is narrow and with all of the light poles and utilities stubbed up and brush around you that really narrows down everything.

Rusty, in the last 6 months I have a total of 3-4 heli flights, my thumbs are so dumb I would not attempt to fly a heli until I got a few plane flights to regain my thumb memory reaction time, I know exactly how you felt yesterday.

Congratulations, she flew nice and as you made you 180's at each end she responded well it appeared. I hope you have many fun hours with your new heli!

John
PS: yesterday grey and cold wanting to rain, today same with rain now for the next (3) three days. cabin fever again Judy is off in AZ. 273 miles away and had to run the A/C yesterday but it was real cool this morning and she had to put on the heat. This storm I am in might slide over there she said per their weather reports for two days too.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

JPEE,

Your right about the grey skies and I did have a few times the heli seemed to blend in with the background so I did take it easy, plus with my rusty thumbs didn't want to do anything I wasn't ready for. I found out real quick that my CW turns are weak in that it resulted in having to goose the blades to get her out of trouble. This is going to be a fun heli, btw a 550 size, and it is nice to have a large heli again.

This time I am very comfortable with the soldering of the electronics as I used a mini torch lighter to do most of the soldering of the bullets and I know the joint is solid. Not like the weak links I had from using those 30watt pen irons which always left me uneasy in dealing with a heli of that size possibly loosing a connection again. But now that I discovered the mini torch lighter method to solder I am much more confident in my soldering abilities.

Sorry to hear about your grey weather out there and did I hear you right...Judy's in AZ and your in Ca?

Nick,

Didn't know if you've heard but there is some news over at HF that a German company purchased Miniture Aircraft and so that may mean your Whiplash may have a parts supply again.

Today started off with clear blue skies and I decided to take my Spitfire out for a maiden. I still have not finished the painting but wanted to get the first flight over with before painting just in case I need to do some 'landing repairs'. lol Well, the maiden was great. Nice take off, a bit tail-heavy but controllable, and a good landing. Got it on video so you can see for yourself.

https://vimeo.com/121154632 Mark

https://vimeo.com/121154632

Last edited by Aframomum; 03-03-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:17 PM
evdreamer

Mark,

That is cool MA will live on. Thanks for letting me know.

I will watch your videos when I have some time. I have been busy with home work and projects. I got a simple equalizer working on my DSP now. There is some distortion, so I have to figure out where that is coming from. I got two intern interviews on Thursday in Lincoln and one on Tuesday in Omaha. I am excited. I started applying at the end of last year and no one was responding. Then all of a sudden everyone was contacting me within a couple of days.

Nick
Old 03-04-2015, 09:03 AM
evdreamer

Mark,

Those where cool flight videos. It sounded like it would be hard to fly your plane with the wind in the background.

Nick
Old 03-04-2015, 12:31 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

I nice flight considering the strong breeze and nasty grey skies that match the planes color, good a good job indeed. The plane looks to have a slow stall speed which always a plus! Also as you know and mentioned she is a bit nose heavy, better that than tail heavy, that can make for crashes when landing. I keep my plans a tish nose heavy so when I land into the wind I don't stall.

Thanks for filling me in the the true size of the you Outrage 50. That size is much easier to see in the air for sure.

Yes I am still in Ca. waiting for a release to be able to get down there and recuperate. The buggy is a no no for now, just me and RC's and a chair lol.

I had to look up what they now calling mini torch's that you spoke about you use for your soldering, they pretty neat. Like you said I have the torch soldering pencil and they don't get very hot at all.

Nick,

Congratulations on getting those two calls for interviews, today being Wed I hope you have some good news to share soon!

JPEE out
Old 03-09-2015, 10:26 PM
Aframomum

Good morning guys,

Nick - how did the interviews go and any news on responses? Fingers crossed for you.

When is your DSP project due? Hope you were able to resolve the distortion issue on the equalizer.

JPEE,

You forgot the other two things you'll have in Az for your recoup - good friends and beautiful night skies.

Things around here have slowed down since I got my maidens in. I took the plane apart so I can ready it for painting, just need to set some time aside and do it.

The weathers already been hitting the mid 80's this week so yard work and outside projects. Crazy but I had to break out the lawnmower to cut the grass yesterday and need to do the weed and seed for the yard as the weeds are back with a vengance. Also need to get the ant killer as red ant mounds are everywhere. Busy little basXXrds - I hate them!

Have a good week,

Mark
Old 03-14-2015, 02:21 PM
JPEE

Hello Nick,

I hope your project continues to move forward with fewer bugs. Sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with distortion but as Mark said, I'm sure you'll nail it down. Sometimes it is fun to troubleshoot because you're learning as you go along. As an example, today on my Chevy 2015 pick up truck I thought I needed to replace a fuse. But where is the fuse panel? I pull out the manual and found out that there are three fuse blocks! Two inside the cab one on each end of the dashboard. Yes on the end of the dashboard where the dash extends into the cab so there's access when you open the doors. The manuals shows you that there is an end panel it comes off, but they do not tell you how to get it off. After going to all that work and trying to cypher the manual I was unsuccessful in finding the right panel for the fuse I was seeking. So I lifted the hood and looked under there and found another fuse block about the size of a book that you barely would recognize. I thought it was some of the electronics for the smog devices or some of the many computers that run the truck but there it was with the fuse I was looking for! The lesson to be learned here to me is..... that I did this all in the driveway and now if I lose a fuse on the road I know where to go and how to interpret the manual which you do not want to learn in a high-pressure situation for example sitting on the freeway....YIKES
Once again, good luck on your project and I hope you're enjoying it.

Hello Mark,

It sounds like you've been busy, fighting off those fire ants. I don't know how you feel about using chemicals to kill the ants seeing as you have George out there in the yard but here is a safe and sane way to kill ants. You take old bottle caps and fill them up with a mixture of honey and yeast! Look it up on Google, kill ants with honey and yeast, it pops up. The ants will eat or take it back to the hive then everyone eats and as they swallow it, it expands in their bellies and it kills them. We used to use this in the student housing department at the University I worked because some of the students didn't want chemicals in their apartments. They would get the black ants what some people call pissants, or grease ants and that's how we dealt with them if they didn't want their apartment treated chemically. The students use to use chalk like for a chalk board which has boric acid and ants won't walk over or through it!
Good news to find you've taken your plane apart again and now you're ready to get the painting underway again and you will be able to complete your cameo design. Also great to hear your getting some warm weather too. It's near 90 today and is staying around there for the next week.....YIKES

Hoping that the OK we are looking for comes though Monday morning and we can go get the sun we spoke about and I can learn to fly again lol. :-)

Take it easy guys.

Last edited by JPEE; 03-14-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:41 AM
evdreamer

Mark,

I got my first choice for an internship. I will be programming processors in radios for the police and fire departments. I am going to enjoy the pay. In three months I can make about six months of pay at my current job.

My DSP project was part of my senior design and that is due in December. I fixed that issue. I have two hard midterm exams tomorrow and then I finally can catch up on sleep during spring break next week.

Good luck with the ants.

John,

That is an interesting way to kill ants.

Nick
Old 03-25-2015, 02:57 AM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Nick,

I know you are enjoying your spring break and you definitely deserve it! Just think, this is your last spring break.

Congrats on getting your first intern selection. Working for the police and fire departments will be fun but also very rewarding knowing that you will be helping those that put their lives at risk each time they go out into the field.

When will you be starting?

JPEE,

Thanks for the tip on the ant control. Florida has some wierd ant mounds as I think the heat prevents them from making large mounds. Instead you get hundreds of tiny mounds scattered all over the yard. I wish they would just get together and make one or two large mounds - would be much easier to deal with. I hit the mounds after we put George to bed so dad is out with a flashlight in the dark sprinkling each mound. Its actually not as bad as it sounds and only takes about half an hour. By the next day the ants are all dead and the powder has been taken underground.

Soooo - was there an O K A Y and are you somewhere 'deserty' and with the wife again??? I certainly hope so!!

Take care guys,

Mark
Old 03-25-2015, 07:58 PM
evdreamer

Mark,

Yeah, I am enjoying my spring break. I finally had time to work on my senior design project. I ordered a PCB to start testing the hardware and the code needed to finish my part.

I start my internship on May 11.

Nick
Old 03-28-2015, 11:04 AM
JPEE

Hi Guys,

Down here in AZ for about 25 days till end of season. Not much flying due to the daily winds. However, I did get out day and flew 3 flights with the Bixler and 2 flight with the T-28

But, the bearing's in the Eflite motor on the 28 are done and really growl so she is grounded :-( Now it is 90-96 degrees daily so that has limited us too. It is always nice to be away from home and be with our friends we see down here. Me: I have been working on the the new used trailer we bought last April and had left here. For a week we have had a smell in the bedroom late in the day when it is really hot outside. The short of it is, after me testing for propane leaks under the bedroom, a Pro come and test for leaks "I" found it this morning! I had to remove and replace an 8' length of gas pipe from one side of the trailer to the other so I could remove the end fitting and re-dope them in a vice and tighten down. All fixed and we are happy campers as they say. Here are a few pic's of my Hanger ( a Cargo Trailer ) and new-used storage building that I just installed a washer and dryer for the little women and the rest is storage.

Hope you two are good, I know Nick is being on break! You have to love that time Nick I know :-)

Take care guys 
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030983.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	2084702   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030989.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	2084703  

Last edited by JPEE; 03-28-2015 at 11:10 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.