Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:02 PM
dknovick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Struggling with single rotor basics V2

ORIGINAL: dunkonu23

Dave,

That's awesome, sir! I loved it. That hexicopter has great power and seems incredibly agile.
The turns are pretty slow, but other than that, it moves.
Sorry 'bout the stripped gears, and bent links. But dinner sounded great.

Ivan-
"Destructive testing on an live stationary target". It gets chocked up to research (as long as we still have money in the pot).
The legs are gangly, but can take a beating. They are one of the few things that didn't break.

Thanks for the vids. Man, that thing hauls. Like Scott says, love those tires. Time to find some dirt somewhere are tear it up!

Chuck-
Yeah, I realized the Hexa dropped pretty good when it was sideways. Of course makes sense, since there's nothing keeping it up! In hind site, I should have goosed the throttle when it got that low (and I was back to horizontal), to get some altitude.

Alex-
Sounded like some decent wind when you where flying the Maxi swift.

Very windy here over the weekend. Even had a snow flurry today.

Have you guy seen this? One bladed heli:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10485026/tm.htm]One main blade[/link]

-Dave
Old 05-01-2011, 07:00 PM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

Ivan & alex - what do you guys use for push rods on the servos? I need a trip to Al's(?) to get something & some connectors to the horns.

Alex - that thing is HUGE! The dog could ride on it!

Ivan - are there any hobby shops near work?

Dave - I like that one blade concept - less to replace after a crash! That was amazing. But you know I'm starting to get jaded with all the weird stuff out there for this hobby. Less and less things surprise me! What a great vocabulary you gov't types have! LMAO!

I've been throwing around a Cub on Phoenix working on landings which have been a considerable weak link for me with the planks. I grabbed the mCP X today as well. I need to get mine flying again so I can compare better. 1st flush it wasn't toooo bad....

Chuck
Old 05-01-2011, 07:41 PM
9sec240

Chuck, the horns are drilled for 1/16" (.062") rod. I have a Z link bender her if you want to bend up some rods. I used quick connects on the servo horns.

Here is what the connections on my F-22 look like with clevis' on one end and quick connects on the other.

Just a few blocks west of Powis Rd on Rte 64 on the south side of the street across from the last entrance to Charlestown Mall is Hobby Town USA. I shop there all the time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85025.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	1602664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37168.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1602665  
Old 05-02-2011, 01:13 AM
dunkonu23

Dave,

Dinner there is always great!   The most consistent restaurant in the area.   It's funny, yesterday my wife wanted the Halloumi Caprese but we'd never been able to find Halloumi cheese... so off to the web.  Turns out there was a place that sold it about 8 miles away. I hopped into the car, bought them out of Halloumi cheese, bought some tomatoes, fresh basil, and some good balsamic vinegar we made the salad!  It was great!!   I can't get over how much grilled Halloumi cheese has the texture and general feel of a chicken breast.   We've got enough Halloumi now to last for a while. 

Parts for the 450 pro will be here tomorrow.  It's raining again.  Lucky me!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:30 AM
dunkonu23

Where's Max?

Scott
Old 05-02-2011, 09:50 AM
clp.eng

Ivan - thanks. The Z-bend doesn't need either a clevis or a quick connector... hmmm cheap! So you just hot glue the servo to the foam. I was thinking of cutting out a section of the body to put each servo in, maybe the glue would be better. Last night I found an APC 8x6 prop I bought & never tried on the PZ J3 Cub, so tonight I try that on the motor to see how much wind it can make! Nothing mounted on the plank yet.

I wonder if my HobbyTown card from Schaumburg will work in St. C???? LOL

I tried to find the "naked" Spectrum Rxs on HK last nite & couldn't find them, only the ones in the orange box. I wonder what happened. None were in stock either...

Scott - hang in there. It's warm & windy here today but NO RAIN!!! so far...

Chuck
Old 05-02-2011, 11:12 AM
dunkonu23

It's kinda warm and windy here too, Chuck. I'm charging the batteries for my F6 now, and I'm planning on a session in the back yard to get the tail right. I have 9 minutes of flight time to do it, so I hope nothing else goes wrong.

Scott
Old 05-02-2011, 01:33 PM
9sec240

Chuck, you can do a Z bend on one end of the rod but the other needs to be adjustable by a thread on clevis or quick connect. You will need to add your account to the St Charles store but your coupons are only good at the store you got them from. The naked Spektrums are gone from the site. I got in on the last batch and have a bunch here if you are interested. The 8x6 will likely be too big for that 19g motor. Here is the product page on it. Take a look at the reviews and recommendations. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5431

I am leaving for CMP in SC on an emergency. We have a down car that is competing in the One Lap of America. Should be back tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:49 PM
dunkonu23

Have a safe trip, Ivan!

Scott
Old 05-02-2011, 07:17 PM
clp.eng

Ivan - good luck with the car, I hope it ain't serious! Thanks for the link. I'll take one of the Rxs just to have a spare - put it on my tab!

There were at least 6 washers with the APC prop & none fit the adapter so I never tried. Add that to the list, push rod, clevis, z-bend, new prop,... Darn good thing I'm working again! I'll grab a fist full of money & head to the LHS ASAP.

Good luck Scott! 9 minutes is plenty of time for me to bring down any heli!!

The mCP X is a killer to work on it's sooo small. I'm having the devil of a time getting the screw back that holds the blade holder to the shaft. I gotta' find a real tiny screw holder/starter. Or I need to grow one more hand! LOL Amazing what they crammed in that lil' guy!

Chuck
Old 05-02-2011, 08:08 PM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: dunkonu23

Dave,

Dinner there is always great!

It's raining again. Lucky me!

mmmm, sounds delicious...
Rain, what's that?
Good luck with the tail.

Chuck-
It's all about how you word things.

Ivan-
Good luck with the car.

Almost all of the hardware for the FPV is here (except for the camera, they're out of stock). Ordered some nuts/bolts and clear heat-shrink from Mcmaster Carr. I should be able to put the Hexa back and better then ever next weekend.

Meanwhile, they updated the firmware on my Nook color last week, so I've been playing Angry Birds...

-Dave
Old 05-03-2011, 05:58 AM
Dolan

TREX 600 Paddles??????????? Well I do not post very often except when I have something worthy of posting! I'm an avid flyer of a TREX 600e and It
seemed that there was just something missing in the way it handled. So nothing seem to help for what i was looking for. So from time to time I'd tweek my settings and nothing really helped. I started changeing out paddles and had bough a few differant styles then one day I thought about trying the extra set of paddles I got with my Centry Predator Gasser. It's the grey 3D paddles that cane with the ship. I put them on and went out to fly and "WOW" what a big differance!! It was sooooo damn stable but yet so versital. So thats the ticket for me!! Proves that if you keep on tring at some point in time you reach that summit!! So, If your haveing the same problem I suggest tring those GREY 3D paddles for the Century Predator Gasser!!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 AM
dknovick

Glad you solved your problem Dolan. What where you looking for, and how are the paddles different?

...anyway...

Great time for the future of helis:
[link=http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/04/19/355707/us-army-pledges-to-launch-new-class-of-high-speed-rotorcraft.html]US Army and high-speed rotorcraft[/link]
[link=http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2010/10/on-the-subject-of-innovation-helicopter-developments/]Helicopter Innovation[/link]

-Dave
Old 05-03-2011, 07:57 AM
dunkonu23

A little news about my shoulder...

I went to the orthopedic surgeon today... Thursday May 12, 2012, I get surgery to repair a torn supraspinatus tendon.  Should be out of work for two weeks and ready to rock in six weeks.  Gonna have fun, bros!!!  I can't believe it took this long.

Scott
Old 05-03-2011, 09:59 AM
clp.eng

Dave - O, oh, what did I say now???? LOL I wonder when Walkera will have one of those helis out for the R/C world!

Scott - maybe it wasn't the heli giving you all that trouble but your failing body parts! Good luck with that... How long before flying a heli?? Other than Phoenix!

I had a few minutes before leaving for work this morning & managed to get the screw in the head piece of the mCP X. I'm going to put the weighted blades on tonight & see what difference they make. I gotta' get that "feeling" back so I can get the 450 fixed & in the air again (falling off horse thing!). And the new one finished!!!

Chuck
Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 AM
clp.eng

Dave - was it just me or was that stub wing vibrating when that heli took off (around 6:05)?

chuck
Old 05-03-2011, 12:38 PM
dunkonu23

Thanks, Chuck.   Probably about 6 weeks after the surgery, I'll be able to "fly" again.  Today, I stripped another gear set on the 450 pro.  I'm getting closer on the tail gain with that.  No closer on the tail gain on the F6.  I have a week to get them right, then extensive down time.

Scott
Old 05-03-2011, 03:35 PM
clp.eng

Oh, that felt good! I just put 2 packs through the mCP X. It has the new & improved head & I put the weighted blades on. It flew like a champ. There are too many variables to decide what made it good. Since I haven't flown much in the last 4 weeks, I sure know it wasn't my superior skill! LOL But it's back to basics for me as my orientations are gone! BUMMER!

If a smart guy like you has trouble with these darn things, Scott how do the rest of us stand a chance? OUCH, 6 wks is a long time, hang in there man! We will all be wishing you the best & a sucessful journey!

Chuck
Old 05-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Dolan

Thanks dknovick
The differance in the paddles are that they are thinner and lighter weight, also thay are .75" longer and .25" wider. Thickness wise they are the same at .25" except the Century paddels have a taper with the thickness where as the trex 600 paddles are .25 from end to end. I think that is the big differance and that alone does a fine job tracking in one place even with the wind blowing. I wanted some light weight paddles that also provided stability.
The differance with the century paddles is that tapper from the root to the end. You do not see that in very many paddles. Most of then carrie the thickness from the root to the very end. I never really thought that "that' would make that much differance. Well there you go, The rest of the story!!

later!!
Old 05-03-2011, 03:58 PM
dunkonu23

Smart? Nope...Not me. Brainfarts are what this last two months have been about. Today, I did a full collective climbout, no problem.. then another... Bad, bad wag. Instead of calmly going to normal mode, I hit throttle hold... 450 pro, about 30 feet up... fell like a rock on the skids and dug in the tail.Brain fart.. it started raining, so I put it down for the day. Now, it's sunny, but it's time for bed. Oh, well...

Look up supraspinatus tendon repair. I'm getting arthroscopic surgery, with nerve block pain management. UGH.

Scott
Old 05-03-2011, 04:02 PM
phillyD

Gosh Guys
And you folks know I can't read too well
Old 05-03-2011, 04:10 PM
9sec240

Got to the airport at 5, flew out at 6, arrived at 9 (local) got my luggage by 10 (pissed off), got my rental by 10:30, got to the track at 12, got the car fixed an on the road to Daytona by by 4:30 am, hotel at 5 am, woke up at 1 pm, ate at Waffle House 1:15, returned car at 3:30, at the gate at 4, flew out at 5 and home at 6 (local time). I am beat!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 04:13 PM
9sec240

ORIGINAL: clp.eng

Ivan - good luck with the car, I hope it ain't serious! Thanks for the link. I'll take one of the Rxs just to have a spare - put it on my tab!

There were at least 6 washers with the APC prop & none fit the adapter so I never tried. Add that to the list, push rod, clevis, z-bend, new prop,... Darn good thing I'm working again! I'll grab a fist full of money & head to the LHS ASAP.

Chuck
Chuck, a GWS prop is what will fit that adapter. I will set an RX aside for you. I would do a Z bend on one end and quick connect on the other or clevis / quick connect combo.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:20 PM
9sec240

Dave, some cool heli stuff. The coax with the pusher looks promising.

Scott, good luck with your surgery. Doesn't sound fun.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:48 PM
clp.eng

Scott - if you don't mind, I'd rather not! I get squimish just reading medical terms! LOL

Welcome back Ivan! What a day you had. Did he run out of gas?? Now that you mention it (again), I recall something about GWS! I need to start carrying a note book around to write stuff down! I'm not sure if it was the new grips or the weighted blades or both but it flew nicely for me. I'll have to put the other blades on & see if I can tell the dif. Did you ever send yours back.

Philly - I can't find the drawing toolbar for this forum or I'd draw you some pics! H3ll, I haven't figured out how to get the smileys in here yet!!! LOL How's the wx in the beautiful Caribean? God I'd love to be back there! There was sooo much I didn't see or feel. It warmed up enough last weekend I got to wear my St Lucia hat.

Chuck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.