Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:42 PM
9sec240

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Back from a weekend of racing. Chicago Half Mile Shootout. I won the whole event running 214.04 MPH in the standing half mile. I also broke the world record for a street car running from 60 to 130 MPH in 3.0 seconds and also broke the 0 to 300 KPH (186 MPH) world record by doing that in 10.1 seconds. The car was really fast this weekend.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:54 AM
dunkonu23

Ivan,

This year at the Mid America Fun fly, they had a Lambo and a Ferrari folks could drive for $75.00 (50 for the car, 25 for insurance). I didn't drive themtoo busy, but they sounded cool. They were using the other run way at the Grosse Ile Airport.

I'm sure you had more fun breaking records, again! Congratulations!

Scott
Old 06-06-2013, 07:58 AM
9sec240

Video from this weekends racing....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMaTo...ature=youtu.be

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMaTo7L9j5M&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 AM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

I'm having some trouble setting up the new heli. Maybe you guys could help me? I've been poking around the forums but haven't found any useful info yet.

1. The washout arms aren't level but there are no more threads left to adjust them. Is there something I can do? The washout arm is part of the blade grip piece so no adjustment there.

2. The tail slider moves end to end w/ very little stick movement (~10° either side of center). What do I adjust to get more travel out of the sticks w/ less slider movement? I tried adjusting travel in the Tx but that didn't seem to do anything.

Found out the pics in the manual are either wrong or at the very least misleading to define the controller orientation! So I have that all working correctly now, it was backwards to the heli motion.

Thanks.

Chuck
Old 06-06-2013, 11:44 AM
dunkonu23

Post a picture of the swash driver when your transmitter pitch curve is set to 50 flat. Include the servos in the picture.

Sounds to me like a regular heading hold gyro. Unless your controller is in setup mode, it's natural for heading hold systems to move to extremes with very little stick movement.

Scott
Old 06-06-2013, 12:24 PM
9sec240

Bring it by chuck. Check out the house in person and we can sort your heli out.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:12 PM
clp.eng

Scott - for the life of me I can't get a clear pic of the head! The pitch curve is linear for setup per the KDS manual. I read a bunch more & there seems to be a lot of folks who don't think it's all that important to get it level but I didn't understand the reasoning! LOL

I guess I need to crash more often so I can do setups more often to learn/remember all this stuff!

Ivan - Thanks! If my life depended on it I could not find your house again! I only got home 'cuz I brought my Garmin! LOL I'd like to try to get a little further along before I throw in the towel. PM ur adr to me & I'll put in Garmin & give you a call soon! I am anxious to see how you're doing with the new larg heli hangar!

Chuck

P.S.

Glad all went well w/ the racing! Your name in the record books! COOL!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:01 AM
dunkonu23

Chuck,

The reason I mentioned a flat pitch curve at 50 percent is this:   It will hold the servos at their center position.  With the picture I was looking for, I wanted to see how the servo arms are in relation to the servos (since I don't know that FBL unit, if you have transmitter based subtrim added, I'd take it off and get things mechanically right, first) and to see in which direction the swash driver is pointedup or down from perpendicular to the main shaft.   While it's not super critical, it will cause you to have uneven pitch in both directions of travelthat's the point of the link lengths.   Since you can't normally adjust the swash driver links, you have to be certain your servo arms are centered and that the links are the correct length. 

Scott
Old 06-07-2013, 12:23 PM
phillyD

Gosh Chucky You got all the luck....getting to go by Ivan with a heli. Anyway my promise still holds. It is coming closer and closer..I'll get there before you guys get here. Yea Ivan's nice large heli hangar.Garmin sounds very endearing... I'll just stay away from Tom Tom
Old 06-07-2013, 02:03 PM
dunkonu23

My wife has a Tom Tom that came with her car. Iasked it to drive to the nearst Meijer (a supermarket/superstore chain) and it didn't know what Iwas talking about. I asked Siri...it found it. Siri is samart; Tom Tom isn't.

Scott
Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 PM
phillyD

Lmao Sir Scotty
Old 06-08-2013, 06:03 AM
clp.eng

Scott - I thought as much. I did 90° the servo arms w/ just a little subtrim. I have the sticks at mid point which is 50% on the linear curve. Just to see I slapped the pitch gauge on & you are absolutely correct about the end point differences! The link length was what the Align manual called for but that made the washout arms way off so I shortened them.

Philly - I know how lucky I am but I am really disappointed in myself that I still can't set one up on my own! You can bring several generations of your family with & they still won't fill Ivan's new heli hangar! LOL

Ya' I read a lot of reviews & the TomTom did not do well. The Garmin is great but still has limitations. It's really good at finding your final destination but the big road trip part it's just annoying! LOL I grew up in Chicago where the streets are mostly parallel & perpendicular & run the length of the city without changing names. I'm still confused out here in the burbs!

Chuck
Old 06-09-2013, 11:14 AM
dunkonu23

Chuck,

I've looked back five pages but can't find what type of FBLunit you have... what is it?

Yeah... I mean the Tom Tom in my wife's new car works well enough, it just has a limited vocabulary and it doesn't hear very well... She liked OnStar better. Overall, she likes the new car better and so do I. Idon't bang my head trying to get into the car. BTW, it's a Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring... loaded.

Scott
Old 06-09-2013, 02:02 PM
9sec240

Hey Chuck...

LOL
Old 06-09-2013, 04:06 PM
clp.eng

Ivan - No wonder I got it sooooo cheap! LOL I'll have to check the "new" price as well!

Scott - I have the KDS ebar (apparently V1!). Mine is not red or in aluminum! LOL

However, I am pleased to report that in spite of that the new heli flies like "butter" & was inverted twice over the street in front of my house. I still have a little cleanup to do but it does fly sweet! Even with way too much wind for my nervous system (which was helped by Ivan wispering in my ear "Breathe & Blink!") & a very confined space I got it in the air. I'll do a vid soon.

Thanks again, Ivan!

Chuck
Old 06-10-2013, 07:25 AM
9sec240

No problem Chuck. I had a good time.... and the cookies were great.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 AM
phillyD

Right Sir Ivan
Put some wings on it.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:17 PM
clp.eng

Tried to do a quick vid of the new heli out in front of the house but about 1/2 way through the camera battery died! I'll try again.

I cleaned up just about everything & except a smaller pinion gear.

Ivan - not this weekend (out of town relations coming for visit) but next weekend the Gardener has agreed to give you a hand ID'ing whatever she can! LOL Let me know if this works for you (Sat afternoon, any time Sunday).

Chuck
Old 06-13-2013, 04:22 PM
clp.eng

Spent an hour hunting down the spare pinions I had - they were in the toolbox not the spare parts box! LOL I'll give her another test flight tomorrow to make sure I haven't screwed up anything.

I was shocked when we spooled up the FBL heli for the 1st time & the CF blades literally disappeared. That was pretty disconcerting! I put some prism tape on them so that should help.

Chuck
Old 06-14-2013, 03:23 AM
9sec240

Chuck, that would work just fine. Glad you are getting out with the new heli. The weather has actually been not too bad for flying. I busted out my Nite KESL and freaked out the neighborhood last night. It felt good to get in the air.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:28 AM
clp.eng

OK, boys & girls(?). Here's the vid you've all been waiting for! Was I nervous or what. I hate taking vids. The next flight was smooth & faster & the landing WAAAAY better.

I need to adjust the soft start to the middle value as this one takes for ever to spool up!

Chuck

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X98Vl_RGmaI[/youtube]
Old 06-15-2013, 02:26 PM
9sec240

Nice job Chuck... with a piro to boot!! I don't think I even checked the piro rate on that one. Looks like it is nice and quick and very flat.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:46 PM
dunkonu23

Good goin', Chuck!

Sorry about not posting much... work and now my laptop is giving me fits... the boot drive is dying. SMART codes every few minutes.

Scott
Old 06-17-2013, 06:12 AM
clp.eng

Thanks guys! It is a nice flyer.

Ivan - I'm not even sure were that piro came from. It just "happened" LOL

Scott - which is why I hate computers! Though the money I made on them has allowed me to have every day being Saturday!

I pulled a real boneheaded move yesterday. My grandson wanted to see me fly one of the big helis. I took out the KDS 450 which was flying fine last week & set it on the gnd next to the deck with everybody on the deck watching. Did my usual preflight & everything seemed OK. Lifted off & it immediately vered to the left staright at the deck. I hit the throttle, got some altitude & backed it away from the deck & landed it. As it was spooling down it tipped over to the right w/o any input. I was really lucky nobody got hurt.

I WILL NEVER EVER DO THAT AGAIN!

I tried it again this morning & it definitely has something wrong. I'm thinking a bad servo or connection but will troubleshoot fully later.

Chuck
Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 AM
dunkonu23

Chuck,

Man, that sucks. When you take off keep your right hand off the sticks. If it still gives you a bank to one side or another it's likely a vibration. Also, did you use 4011 or 4010 tape to mount the FBLunit?

Tipovers on the ground... last one I had was at IRCHAlast year... I now bury negative collective as soon as the headspeed gets low enough.

Scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.