Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 07:00 AM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what we got over the last three days! And today it's -10° out there, BRrrrrrrrrr!!

Scott - thanks for the confirmation. Now I just need to pick a nice head assembly!

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3637.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	1953661  
Old 01-03-2014, 11:47 PM
dunkonu23

That's cold, Chuck! It was very cold here, too. They're predicting more snow starting tomorrow and lasting until Sunday night/Monday morning. Then, record cold. Some winter, eh?

Scott
Old 01-04-2014, 06:09 PM
dknovick

Originally Posted by clp.eng
Dave - I've seen it 3 times, once in 3D (Ultimate Screen Real3D & high frame rate) - it is good any way you watch it! Smaug was just to good!!! You aren't getting old I hope? Sounds like something us oldsters would do with those orders! LOL Amazon had 2 crazy days of free games so I took everyone of them especially since the grandsons were coming to visit & they have 9 different devices they bring with games!
Nice! We're going to see it a second time tomorrow, soo many things to take in on one sitting. Smaug was excellent, and it's funny how the two of them (Smaug and Bilbo) also are in the BBC series Sherlock.
Too old? Well maybe (Birthday today!), but I'll chalk it up to trying to do too many thing in one day.

Scott- Dude, I'm sorry to hear about your fall, and your injury. Speedy recovery!

I received all my parts from HobbyKing US (not bad, about a week from time of order, to order @ the door). But I won't be able to get to it before I have to trod off back to work. If you guys want to send some snow my way, I wouldn't mind. Our snowmen are looking a little thin.

Name:	tumbleweed_snowman_2013.png
Views:	63
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1954431  
Old 01-04-2014, 08:22 PM
clp.eng

Dave - make that 4 times, the Mrs needed to see it again! Ya', funny... Have you read the book? If so, probs w/ the differences? I learned better w/ the LOTR! Please updates on the build! I'm looking at getting one & the prebuilts just don't seem "right". if you know what I mean. Or I'll find a kit.

Man, it's snowing again here & is supposed to for 36 straight hrs! I have no clue where I'm going to put it! I may have to hire one of the neighbors snow thrower to shoot it out front or over to your house!

Very nice seasonal man! Very creative using what materials that are available!

Don't trust Hobby Express (used to be Hobby Lobby International) service it is nonexistent! Very long, sad, frustrating story... I'm just hoping the FMS plane which isn't theirs will be OK when it ever gets here.

Chuck
Old 01-04-2014, 08:24 PM
clp.eng

Scott, et al - Oh, there is an upside to my life assuming the airports are open next week I'm going to Florida for 10 days house shopping. Guess what? The northern part of the state is expecting wind chills of +5°F about the time I get there! Sigh... LOL

Chuck
Old 01-05-2014, 07:17 AM
dunkonu23

Have fun in Florida, Chuck! 8 inches of snow overnight here and it's still snowing.

Dave--Yeah, but you have Los Pollos Hermanos! Hope you had a great holiday! The knee is feeling better every day, but it reminds me it's not right all the time, too. I'll live.

Scott
Old 01-05-2014, 03:51 PM
dknovick

Dave - make that 4 times, the Mrs needed to see it again! Ya', funny... Have you read the book? If so, probs w/ the differences? I learned better w/ the LOTR! Please updates on the build! I'm looking at getting one & the prebuilts just don't seem "right". if you know what I mean. Or I'll find a kit.
Wow! I have read the books, but way back in high school. After the third hobbit movie, I'll have to revisit the books again. Problems with the differences? No, not really. Our (me and the Mrs) one big gripe is that Pete doesn't spend any real time introducing the 13 dwarfs. I watched the appendices on the unexpected journey, and they mention the pains they took to make sure each one was unique. But it's hard to keep all the names straight from the movie without a little background. I do like the fact that he split the Hobbit into 3 movies, I love a good story (and this give him room to develop everyone), and also give me something to look forward to. The third should be jammed packed with stuff (more Smaug and the war).

As far as quads et. al. I know what you mean about prebuilts. They are fun fly around (I do love my Blade mqx), but there's only so much you can do with them. For kits, http://shop.flitetest.com/ has a lot of nice frames that are affordable (since they are made out of wood), help with dampening (since they are made out of wood), and easy to fix (since they are made out of wood). The Knuckle H-Quad is one, and then they have their Rotor Bones Anycopter series which can accommodate anything from 3 arms to 8. I'm building their Bat Bone Tri, which you can also turn into a V-tail (http://flitetest.com/articles/v-tail-quad-build)

For something really Super Sexy, Curtis Youngblood has the Stingray (which some of you might have seen @ IRCHA), full collective pitch 3D quadcopter (I might have to get me ones of these).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnGhEInTXYc&list=PLS3HDrqJsbiMzCF-Mc_SMPOVoNUNdGfOx&index=1
Where in FL will you be looking? I grew up in S. FL and went to school in N. Central FL. Mother-in-law lives there, and Father-in-law just moved there.

Scott - Well, we don't have it anymore On travel, that what I usually hear, "The only thing I know about Abq is from Breaking Bad".
Glad you will live!

Last edited by dknovick; 01-05-2014 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 01-05-2014, 05:09 PM
clp.eng

Dave - we'll discuss difs after you read the book again next year. Cripes I don't want to wait a year. LOL I had seen the 500 in a magazine but that was 1st vid. Thanks! Also, thanks for the wooden links! I'll def check those out. Especially since they're made outta' wood!

We are going to the central region in & around Ocala. I'll be sure to say "Hey" to the in-laws!

Here's what my drive looked like after the neighbor came by with his snow thrower! Now you'll see why I couldn't shovel any more no place to put it except on a truck out to Dave!

Scott I know it's still messy but it was to d@mn cold to go out there & clean it up! LOL

Bitter cold tonight somewhere around -18°F for real not wind chill - where's Phil in all this! Maybe he's stuck in NY since they got bad wx too!

I won't have access to the Internet while I'm gone (can you believe that??) as most places we are staying don't even have WiFi & I don't have a smartphone (yet?). So everybody stay safe!

Chuck

Name:	IMG_3639.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	1954703  
Old 01-07-2014, 09:44 AM
phillyD

Wow guys ...so nice to have seen some activity here...honey I'mmm baack in the BVI. The only ball i've seen dropped is mine and it dropped from the top of the empire state building. After it dropped I was blizzered last week friday out of my flight from JFK. It took me one and a half days to get from Puerto Rico to the BVI which only take 35 minutes flight time. Oh I loved the cold but that dry heat that those heating systems give out sent me nuts. I had to keep turning them down to 77 degrees to get to sleep. It is quite hard when the car heating systems are turned up so high that you gott take off some of your clothes while in the car. Well I am sure happy I missed the artic vortex going on now.

Ivan on my return I was charged with reckless abandonment of hamster.

Scotty That knee might give you a good excuse to escape some shovelling, but your house might get buried LMAO

Yes chuckenstein you read it all right and am sorry I did not get to show off on you that I was forced into getting a smart phone and i had wifi but was totally subdued under the government of the petty coat.

Super Dave Seems you got everything under control
Old 01-07-2014, 04:35 PM
dunkonu23

Phil!!! Welcome back home, you pirate!! Did you have fun when you were awake in NYC? Dry heat does suck. But not as much as the arctic vortex! Actually, I have a vortex, too...it's not artic, though. Seriously cold here last night -24 F wind chills -39. We got 16" of snow from Saturday through Sunday and I did get out of the work, unfortunately. I would have loved it. Problem now is the snow walls--they're too high to use a snow blower next to. . The driveway looks like an alley and the sidewalks aren't much better. You're lucky to be back home and warm! Hope you had a super time in NYC, bro!

Scott
Old 01-10-2014, 12:17 PM
dknovick

Dave - we'll discuss difs after you read the book again next year. Cripes I don't want to wait a year. LOL I had seen the 500 in a magazine but that was 1st vid. Thanks! Also, thanks for the wooden links! I'll def check those out. Especially since they're made outta' wood!

We are going to the central region in & around Ocala. I'll be sure to say "Hey" to the in-laws!
Ok. ok. Let me finish The Stainless Steel Rat that I'm reading, and I'll switch over to the Hobbit. And then we can take this offline, unless all the rest of the pirates wish to listen in.

Ocala? Starting a horse farm? It'll be hot and humid in the summer. Central FL doesn't get the ocean/gulf breezes.

Send the snow, we can use it. No access to the internet? That's cruel and unusual punishment!

phD- Welcome back. I'm sure we can fight those hamster charges!

Scott (and Chuck)- It's miserable in the 40's today with a bright blue sky, and the only trace of snow is the bits that hide along the north faces of stuff.

Should be able to get to my tri-copter this weekend (pictures to follow).

-Dave
Old 01-12-2014, 02:07 PM
dunkonu23

Dave,

The weather was really, really cold for a few days, but for the last two days, it has been in upper 30's with rain yesterday and sun today. Snow is melting fast! Still too much around, though. It's going to start getting colder again, so I'm thinking the flirtation with warmer temps is over for a while. Hopefully we won't get caught in the Arctic vortex again and will concentrate on the Spartan Vortex for a while!

Good luck with the tri-copter!

Scott
Old 01-18-2014, 09:00 AM
clp.eng

Hi, y'all! I'm back!

Dave - I meant not wanting to wait a yr for the next movie release! My hands starting shaking the 3rd day w/o access to the world! Ocala is the center of the 55+ communities! One of the houses I looked at had a cattle ranch in the backyard, literally! Worried about the smell w/ that one BUT I sure could get a lot of open space to fly ANYTHING behind the house! Looking forward to pics! I checked out that stuff & looks promising.

Scott - I was in shorts at least one day down there. Then the arctic vortex made it FL were it dropped into the 30's. NO SNOW!!!! How's the knee?

Philly - Whew, we were worried about you. Too bad about being grounded. I hate air travel! Glad you're safely home.

My 800mm FMS T-28 came today. Nice little project too bad it's 18°F & windy outside! Pics to follow.

Chuck
Old 01-18-2014, 09:25 AM
phillyD

Wow Chuck I know dem korean and Chinese does get Internet withdrawal... did know the virus got go the USA lmao Glad you got a short pants day
Old 01-18-2014, 10:30 AM
dunkonu23

Chuck,

That's good you got wear shorts! I envy you. Perhaps in March when I go to the Birmingham Fun Fly, I'll be able to do that, too! I'm glad you escaped snow there, too.

The knee... Surgery Thursday. Out of it for four days, work from home for a week (I've been doing that since my fall), post op the next Friday, then hopefully back to work. A month of physical therapy and I'll be good to go!

Scott
Old 01-18-2014, 06:59 PM
phillyD

May everything go smooth and fast recovery to you Sir Scotty
Old 01-18-2014, 10:36 PM
dunkonu23

Thank you, Phil!

Scott
Old 01-20-2014, 08:29 PM
dknovick

Originally Posted by dunkonu23
Dave,

The weather was really, really cold for a few days, but for the last two days, it has been in upper 30's with rain yesterday and sun today.

Good luck with the tri-copter!

Scott
As phD says, fast as speedy recovery. There's a high pressure system above us, which is keeping all the cold away. We are days away from a record without any moisture (27 and counting).

Chuck- Welcome back. Well that is true, there's a lot of space out there (and horses, and cattle, and, and...) I can understand about the Hobbit, should be lots going on in the 3rd movie, with Smaug AND the war... The Hobbit (book) is on hold @ our local library (eAudio Book, not much time to do actual reading, so I listen to books to and fro from work). I'm next in line, so I should get it and start it soon.

Didn't get the chance to mess with the tri this weekend. Along with other errands, I was looking over the new pinger that I'm thinking of using for RoboSub. I need to be able to externally trigger it, and the interface is being a little "stubborn". Maybe this weekend...

Finished up reading the August/September issue of RC Heli Pilot (told you I don't get to reading much) and there was an article on FBL controllers. Man, there are a lot out there!

Skookum SK-720
Skookum SK-540
Ikon
Futaba CGY750
JR TAG-S-01
Spektrum AR7200BX
Mikado Silverline
Mikaso Mini
Robird G31
ACE RC GT5.1
Align APS
Align 3GX
Spartan Vortex
Barvarian Demon 3SX
Barvarian Demon 3X
Barvarian Demon Rigid
DJI Naza
MSH Brain
Microbeast
uRondo
Black Widow
KDS Ebar

and my favorite open source ones:
OpenPilot CopterControl
OpenPilot Revolution
Ardumega Pilot

Last edited by dknovick; 01-20-2014 at 08:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2014, 09:47 AM
phillyD

I know Sir Ivan the Terrible must be shivering his timbers this time LMAO
Old 01-27-2014, 08:53 AM
phillyD

Hokaaaay a pox on ye. I am not talinkg bout no crickets..as a matter of fact I just got info that groundhog has booked a flight to Jamaica
Old 01-29-2014, 03:00 PM
dknovick

Originally Posted by phillyD
Hokaaaay a pox on ye. I am not talinkg bout no crickets..as a matter of fact I just got info that groundhog has booked a flight to Jamaica
Based on the weather in the East, I don't blame him! Especially if he sees his shadow in a few days.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:56 AM
dunkonu23

I just want this winter to end. So far, the coldest, snowiest winter I've ever seen. We got another eight inches of snow yesterday, I'm not recovered enough to use the snow blower, so I'm waiting for my nephew to show up to clear the snow. I go back to work (I've been working at home) tomorrow, so I'm stressing.

Scott
Old 02-03-2014, 07:30 AM
phillyD

Oh Shoes Sir Scotty Leave the stress..just take it as it comes me hearty
Old 02-04-2014, 07:32 PM
dunkonu23

Thanks, Phil. The last two days haven't been easy. Driving is difficult. I'm working from home tomorrow because it's snowing again.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:52 AM
phillyD

Yes Sir Scotty..I'm seeing ice on a lot of roads. I think one of my Girl friends in the USA has jinxed you folk...3 weeks ago she said that winter is soon done because of some thunder she heard...since then it has been slam after slam of of wintry violence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.