Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Super Sportster EP with Modified Power System

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Great Planes Super Sportster EP with Modified Power System

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 01:51 PM
chagolucho
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Super Sportster EP with Modified Power System

Hello, and thank you for the fast response.

I really didnt think this plane could be hand launched, I fly zagi so I think I might be able to launch the SS, but could someone tell me or send a video of a hand launch, so I can see the strength needed for take off.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:26 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Assuming you are trying to fly this 3+ lbs. model with the stock power system and the Great Planes supplied 12 X 10 Propeller, I highly do NOT recommend to attempt to hand launch this model!!!

Not that it is impossible, as I have hand launched a 48 inch High Wing Trainer known as the Hobbico Super Star "EP" but, I had a modified Brushed power system that provided lots of Propeller RPMs and it practically leaped out of my hand and it is a high wing trainer with dihedral.

The Super Sportster EP has little or no Dihedral and and it has 383 sq-in wing area with about 3 lbs. of total flight ready weight. Unless you have very good RPMs with lots of instant Thrust (12 X 10 requires some distance to unload) then, I would stick with smooth hard surface and taxi to figure out why your model is exhibiting those freaky behaviors. Having it on a smooth surface may give you some idea what you need to do.

I don't think these forums can trouble-shoot your model except to say you can always seek a master modeler at a Club Field and they perhaps can help you.

Don't try hand launching it with Stock Power System!
Old 05-15-2006, 02:29 PM
chagolucho
Banned

Thanks for the advice guapoman, (creo q hablas español no?) and other question, a smaller prop, like a 10x10 or 11x10 could help the ss to launch faster?
Old 05-15-2006, 11:16 PM
guapoman2000

The higer Pitched Propellers such as those you cited 10X10 etc... will require some additional runway run to make them effective "or" efficient as these propellers need to be already in a foward motion to allow for efficient use of motor/gearbox power. In other words, the model needs to be flying at a certain airspeed in order for the higher pitched propellers to be able and perform like they were designed. Once the model is flying these higher pitched propellers will allow the model to exhibit "a" exponential acceleration and the faster the model goes the better efficiency the propeller will work.

So to answer your question, NO, these higher pitched propellers do not provide the fastest get up and go initially but, once the model is in the air watch out!

It is a balancing act, the lesser pitch will provide you with more instant thrust and the model is seen to leap off the ground faster but, it will not have too much of Top End Airspeed (unless your motor / gearbox provides a very high degree of Propeller RPMs). Then, if you select the higher pitched propellers they will not be so efficient at the lower throttle settings nor lower airspeed but, once the model is in the air and you will notice a higher speed with less throttle setting in comparision to one with less pitch.

Si, hablo !
Old 05-15-2006, 11:23 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: Iturnright

OK, I've had a Super Sportster for a while now, its completely stock though. It does get off the ground on rough dirt runway, and I've seen it run off runway and still manage to get off ground in grass. While in the air it looks good, but it won't climb very high at all (elevator seems to only function as a speed brake for me) and has only managed to perform a loop once on the second flight. Not quite satisfactory for a sport airplane.

So, I'm not one to spend too much, or much at all for that matter. I'd like to get the best possible performance for the lowest price. So, what is the final verdict for this less expensive upgrade? Results seem to be mixed here. I'll add that I don't always want vertical 3d-like performance as some people seem to need in every plane, just enough to climb decently and maybe do a loop or two.

Is this the system to do it with?
Because of the high degree in successful flight using the Tower Hobby's S-600GD Power System, I have seen the price go from $36 US to now over $50 US for motor, GD-600 gearbox, and propeller. I don't know if this would be considerd still inexpensive but, it is certainly an effective improvement over stock and without paying Brushless ESC's that are still expensive as you can still use the STOCK 30 AMP Brushed ESC with the following. (Assuming the 3.0:1 ratio, 9 X 8 propeller and at least 7-cells, sub-c)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBRN3&P=7

If you do order the above power system make sure they include the capacitors to surpress the RF noise the mechanical commutation motor will produce. Capacitors are included in price!

Old 05-19-2006, 12:46 PM
chagolucho
Banned

Hi again, cant hardly wait for tomorrow (saturday) to try again my ss ep, I have another question, can I use a lower pitch prop with the stock system, without compromising the esc or the motor?

If so, wich one you recommend me (I want to have an easy flight, kater I will try to get the ss more "sporty")
Old 05-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Slo-V Flyer

ORIGINAL: chagolucho

Hi again, can hardly wait for tomorrow (Saturday) to try again my SS EP, I have another question, can I use a lower pitch prop with the stock system, without compromising the esc or the motor?

If so, which one you recommend me (I want to have an easy flight, kater I will try to get the ss more "sporty")
Yes you can use a lower pitch prop, because it will pull less amps than the stock prop. As long as it the same diameter or less, and flatter in pitch, you will get more thrust but as guapoman said, your top speed will be less. But you said you wanted to get "sporty" later after you get some practice in. That's exactly how I progressed my flights with my Mini Super Sportster. I used a 10x3.8 prop, then moved up to the 9x7.5 prop which made it go much faster!

What size prop do you plan to use? And just to refresh our memory, what is the stock prop's pitch?
Old 05-20-2006, 01:42 AM
chagolucho
Banned

Thanks, the stock prop is a 12x10, Im planning to use something like a 11x8, 11x9 or a 12x8
Old 05-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Those all seem fine me.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:08 PM
chagolucho
Banned

Hi everyone...good new, I could fly my ss ep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used the original prop (12x10) which was broke and fixed with some sanding, theprop finished like a 11x10, it took some runway to take off but it went quite well on air. Thank You all for your advice, btw y bought a 11x9 MA prop, but not for electric planes, there only had small ones...should I use it, or is it too heavy?
Old 05-20-2006, 04:52 PM
guapoman2000

Master Airscrew Glow/Gas propellers can be used on Electrics.

The other way around is a NO NO.....

Carlos
Old 05-21-2006, 03:52 AM
chagolucho
Banned

Hey, you can watch my second flight video here (good music in there):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZxFJSWtubM

Today Ill try to get a better video and get it up on youtube
Old 05-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Wow fast landing! Did your landing gear bend during landing?
Old 05-21-2006, 10:06 AM
chagolucho
Banned

It handled well, but at the end it goes over the walking path (dont know how to say "vereda") and they bend backwards. But that happens because I loosed tha main landing gear after two crashes so it can snap out wihtout braking any piece of wood...Now I modified the attaching system in order to stay a bit stronger.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:43 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: chagolucho

It handled well, but at the end it goes over the walking path (dont know how to say "vereda") and they bend backwards. But that happens because I loosed tha main landing gear after two crashes so it can snap out wihtout braking any piece of wood...Now I modified the attaching system in order to stay a bit stronger.
This model retains lots of airspeed and you need to allow her to bleed off speed. Coming high and onto a narrow road is somewhat scary thereby the tendancy is to come high but, then you are allowing the model to gain even more speed as you need to dip the nose downward.

Try a shallow approach and allow the model to be no more than 10 feet off the ground and cut the motor completely and have her glide in with a minimal use of up elevator and she will slow down very nicely. A more gradual glide slope is needed otherwise you will be repairing the landing main gear all the time.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:55 PM
chagolucho
Banned

yes indeed, i know i got too much speed, but im improving. Unfortunately i crashed it into an electric fence and it teared the left wing.
i think i can get it R.F. for the weekend
Old 05-26-2006, 12:09 PM
johnmathewson

Bassman:

Did you ever get to fly your Sportster EP using the 2s2p Kokam lipos?
Old 05-29-2006, 05:41 PM
chagolucho
Banned

Hi everyone, I've had gained so much experience now, im doing inverted flies, fast turns, rolls, hammerheads, etc, I just love it!!!! What a great f' plane!! Of course now I want some more power (who doesnt?) and came to this ebay seller :

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-300W-High-To...QQcmdZViewItem

Now the question, should I go for a 300watt or a 400watt outrunner brushless, and a motor that can take 35Amp may burn a 30Amp esc? ( Look at the brushless esc of the seller) And which props would you use for those motors, Im thinking in all of these with the stock batt (8.4v 2100mah).
Old 05-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Bobet

I just bought the Great Planes Super Sportster EP and am waiting for it to come. I am interested in buying the S-600 Gd power systwm as sold by Tower Hobbies. but I can't find the one without the ESC I understand it only costs about $38.
Bob
Old 05-31-2006, 12:34 PM
Slo-V Flyer

chagolucho, That motor looks a lot like the Eflite Park outrunner series motors, without the stickers and labels. At that price though I think it's a great deal. If you can, I think go for the 400w system as that will give you plenty of available power even if you don't need use it that much. If you're plane is around 56oz. (3.5 lbs) that will give you a speedy 133 watts per pound, not bad at all!
The 300 watt motor will give you only 85 watts per pound maximum, which probably won't be as spirited.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:09 PM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

john,

yes i did get to try it on the 2S2P li-po pack, here is a link to the video of it flying with the 7.4 volt pack.

i will let you be the judge of it but it seems to be alittle better performance than the stock battery pack but not as good as the GP3300 nimhs. anyway i hope the video works as this is my first time trying to load video.

also please forgive the shaky camera man (AKA me)

heres the link to video= http://media.putfile.com/super-sport...-74-volt-li-po

bassman
Old 06-02-2006, 07:57 AM
johnmathewson

Hi Bassman:
The video link was OK and that power setup seems to work well. I decided to go brushless and installed an AXI 2820/10 with a Jeti 40 amp ESC and powered it with a 3s1p 20C Kokam Lipo. The model takes off in about 20 feet from a grass field and really flies well. I can do most of the basic manoeuvers short of 3D. Flight time is about 6 minutes at half throttle. I could double up the battery to 3s2p to double the flight time but I think I'll leave well enough alone.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:17 AM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,

how did you mount the axi on this plane ? i also have been thinking about using that motor i already have an jeti ESC that i can use. and i think i would stay with nimhs for now though as they seem to work well and give me good flight times of 8 to 9 minutes.

BTW the video was shot using my daughters elcheapo $59.00 digital camera so it actually turned out better than i thought it would.

thanks

mitch
Old 06-02-2006, 10:14 AM
chagolucho
Banned

Hi John, which prop are you using with the AXI 2820/10? Do you have any numbers about wattage, amps etc?
Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 AM
chagolucho
Banned

BTW, thank you all for the answers given to me in this forum, this is a great thread with lots of usefull info about this excellent plane.

Chago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.