Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

30 minutes flight time from my Super Sportster EP!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

30 minutes flight time from my Super Sportster EP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:56 AM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 30 minutes flight time from my Super Sportster EP!

Yeah... I was working on my Brio 10 at the time. Dyslexia is terrible!

I'll bet you'll find you will not need the extra lead.

I liked the motor combo so much that I just received another from BPHobbies.

Now I need a home ( airframe ) for it... hmmm...

Old 05-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: opjose

I'll bet you'll find you will not need the extra lead.

Might not but I've been flying it that way for over 6 mos. It flies so well that I don't feel like messing with it.

CR
Old 06-02-2007, 01:34 PM
mred33

Well I got a motor and am ready to go fly and wouldn't you know, it is raining. I did run it on the bench and got 22.5 min. before the battery kicked out at about 60% throttle. I still don't understand all the information they give you on some of the specs on the differant sites for various things, but I guess I'll just learn as I go. Haven't really tried the ballance yet, but then I can't fly in the rian either. I guess if I can get 22.5 min on the bench, it should go around 30 in the air after it unloads some. Looking forward to flying this SS and see if it is all it is cracked up to be. Sure hope so. Thanks again for the information.
Ed
Old 06-02-2007, 08:00 PM
opjose

Good luck!

I think you'll like it!

Old 06-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: mred33
Haven't really tried the ballance yet, but then I can't fly in the rian either.
Ed
I hope you mean to recheck the balance (CG) before you fly it. The brushless motor/ESC combo is lighter than the original setup. Also, if you went to a LiPo battery it's bound to be tail heavy now. Be sure to recheck the CG before you fly it.

Looking forward to hearing how the first flight with the new setup went.

CR
Old 06-02-2007, 11:24 PM
opjose

If he went with the dual LiPo's the difference ends up being only a few ounces.

The plane tolerates this just fine.

I didn't bother adding any weight to the nose.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:45 PM
twinbrother
My Feedback: (7)

Guys, you a crazy setup that isn't too much? Here's what I did, and so far, it's working. I kept the stock 550 motor that came with the Sportster. I was using an AXI 2418/20 with a 14.8v 4000mah lipo. It was in my second Sportster and I decided to try the stock motor with my 3rd one. I got rid of the stock esc since it doesn't work with lipos and got an electrifly 35amp brushed esc. Hooked it up to the 4 cell 4000mah lipo, and put a 10x5 electric prop on it. This sucker hauls. It goes vertical easy and is blazing fast. I get a solid 10 minutes of flight with half to full throttle. I know I can get probably 15 min with better throttle control, but I have 5 of the 4 cell lipos. When I land the plane, the lipo is slightly warm, esc not warm at all, and the motor seems fine. The specs say the motor takes about 9 volts, but so far, the 4 cell has not fried the motor. We'll have to see if the motor will continue to run after more than 4 flights. Oh, and those lipos, only cost $80 a piece. They're not top of the line stuff, only 10c, but suits me fine for the price. Got it at skysharkrc.com. And no, this is not an advertisement. I was going to try the maxamps.com lipos, but like the skyshark lipos for what I need it for. I'll go back to brushless if and when I burn out this motor, but I still have one more 550 stock motor to burn out before that happens, since I did buy 3 of the Sportster EPs, my favorite plane so far.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:16 PM
opjose

I paid less than you did, for my "crazy" setup and get far better results.

e.g. TWO 2200mAh 11V LiPo's cost be just about what one of yours did.

I effectively have the equivalent of a .30 engine in mine and I get those long flight times to boot.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:07 AM
twinbrother

It just so happens that I have 2 of those 2200mah lipos on hand that I picked up from nitroplanes. So who paid less now? You could yank your motor, but then your speed controller still cost more than mine since mine. Well, try yanking the batteries too and then you'll definitely be paying less than me. But then, your flight times will have dramatically decreased... down to 2 seconds...hahahahaha.

Didn't know it was a contest, but now you have me beat, again. But your flight times are now 2 seconds, so maybe not. Hahahahaha... funny stuff.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:29 AM
opjose

Don't know ( nor really care about ) what you are talking about.... your post makes no sense.

e.g. "then your speed controller still cost more than mine since mine."

What?

You jumped into this thread with an inane assertion claiming that this was a "crazy" setup.

That you had the batteries "on hand" is irrelevant. You still paid for them.

The bottom line is that even with what you attempted, this was a cheaper and better alternative to the stock setup with better results.

At the very least coherency is a good idea when attempting to rebut anything.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:58 AM
twinbrother

e.g. "then your speed controller still cost more than mine since mine."

That was just a typo. "Since mine" should have been excluded. But to me, it is a great "crazy" setup with an increase in power using only the stock motor. It's all subjective. Heck, compare your setup with a 1.20 equivalent and your .30 isn't all that great anymore. My recommendation for your 2 second flight time is still pretty funny... hahaha. Really funny stuff man. Hilarious.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:29 AM
opjose

I'm glad you so easily amuse yourself. How are the other patients in the ward?

No this is not subjective, nor the topic of this thread.

Guapoman2000 has a great thread you should look at too, everyone tosses the stock motor ASAP.

And you still make no sense... e.g.

"Heck, compare your setup with a 1.20 equivalent and your .30 isn't all that great anymore."

"Compare a 1.20 with a 2.20 and the 1.20 isn't all that great anymore", as well, but what does this have to do with this topic?

My 10 year old argues better than this.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:37 AM
twinbrother

Your 10 year old? Heck, I'm surprised our government allows you to have children. I was just sharing my info on improving the performance with the stock motor and your big head seem pushed that idea out the door. A little less helium in that head of yours would help. I'm just wondering why a someone like you would even bother responding to a no sense making person someone like me. Hmmmm, I wonder.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:36 PM
opjose

There are other threads on the stock motor.

This was not one of them.

You could have started a different thread if you wished to discuss the stock motor.

Instead you jumped in calling this configuration "crazy".

If you don't like a response to your opinions, don't post.

At the very least do try to make some sense when you do so, as not to appear to be the very "airhead" that you accuse others of being.

Before you call others "crazy" consider your own verbiage. They may let you out of the mental ward that way.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:57 PM
twinbrother

Genius, your thread says "30 minutes flight time from my Super Sportster EP!" Since you're the smart one, I don't see how that thread relates to all these motor hop ups and battery upgrades. Go look at all the posts. No one even comes close to the 30 minutes, so I guess all those threads should be deleted. Why don't you come join me in the mental ward. Your thread title really does seem to make sense. And for your information, I can get 30 min of flight time with my setup with good throttle control. Why don't you go ahead and delete the posts from those that don't meet that criteria. And I do see that your thread title tells people to dump that stock motor, Mr. Genius. Looks like opjose needs to check himself into the mental ward himself. For those who don't want their stock motor, I'll take it. It's a good motor. A little experimentation is all it takes, which is something Mr. Genius who started this thread doesn't know much about. I welcome all opinions and advice to improve this hobby. But Big Head opjose seems to think he's got the best setup while negating others. Come on down to the ward, we've got room. And bring your son too.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:05 PM
opjose

Don't look now but immaturity is showing. Since you have no valid points of arguement you are back to name calling as a final recourse.

Punctuation and whitespace helps maintain a semblance of clarity, and MAY have helped your vain attempt, but then nothing really would.

BTW: No one has yet mentioned that they were unsuccessful with the flight times, which you seem to cite in yet another non-sequitur.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:12 PM
twinbrother

This is funny stuff. You're actually replying to my every post. For a guy who thinks I make no sense and not too bright, you sure are spending a lot of time paying attention to me. Makes me wonder what you do during the day. Not a whole lot I guess... hahahahaha. Man, this is funny.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:26 PM
opjose

I'm glad I brighten your existence so easily!

While you've inquired as to my daily activities, that is again not the topic of discussion nor pertinent,. This is often referred to as the "kitchen sink" approach to attempting to argue when any semblance of logic fails.

Throw in something unrelated in the hopes of confusing any issues while looking for an unrelated opening, the recourse of the shallow.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:36 PM
twinbrother

I'm going to go throw my Sportster EP out of an airplane at 30,000 ft and see if I can get a 30+ minute flight time. There will be no motor, no esc, and no battery. Should be light enough. May need to add a bunch of weight to the front of the plane so it isn't so tail heavy. I'll let you know how it goes. I think this qualifies for the post... hahahaha.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:43 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: twinbrother

I'm going to go throw my Sportster EP out of an airplane at 30,000 ft and see if I can get a 30+ minute flight time. There will be no motor, no esc, and no battery. Should be light enough. May need to add a bunch of weight to the front of the plane so it isn't so tail heavy. I'll let you know how it goes. I think this qualifies for the post... hahahaha.
This is almost amusing... almost.

"Parva leves capiunt animos."
-Ovid
Old 06-08-2007, 02:16 PM
mred33

opjose don't ever argue with an idiot. All they do is bring you down to their level and you will loose every time, unless your an idiot too.

Now on to the good stuff. I finally got one flight in yesterday (all I had time for) and it was great. I landed after 20 min just to make sure I still had some battery left to land on. I finally got my Amp meter and did some testing and here is what I got on the bench. WOT was around 23 Amps and half was around 8 to 10 Amps. That is with a 9x6E prop and a 300W motor. I got a real good deal on the motor (free) from a friend of mine and I couldn't turn it down. Plane flyies great and has plenty of power for anything I care to do. I'm not into 3-D so I didn't try any of that, but I had a blast with this setup. I only have one battery right now, so I have to charge between flights, but that is not all that bad when you can get 30 min. on each charge. The next item on my list is to get at least one more battery and then I can have one on charge while I'm flying the other. Thanks for all the help and hope you get another 1000 flights out of yours. Best of luck and thanks for everything.
Ed
Old 06-08-2007, 02:56 PM
opjose

Best of luck and thanks for everything.
Ed
Wonderful to hear!

You could also safely increase the prop size to 10x7 with the larger motor and sacrifice a little run time for very good vertical flight.

However it sounds like you have it dialed in pretty well.... and you can't beat the cost.

It's a pretty slick plane with the setup you have.

Even those with the glow version tend to admire how well it flies.

Congrats!

Old 06-08-2007, 04:51 PM
mred33

I have a 9x7.5, 10x6, 11x5.5, and 11x6 all E props and am going to try them in the morning just for kicks and to see what happens. I may not get them all checked out in one day, but I have all the time I need to do it. Just playing around and trying differant things just to see what happens. I wasn't sure what prop to get other then a 9x6 to start with, so I bought a few just to try. What the heck, that's what this hobby is all about, right?? After I get a few flights in with differant props, I'll let you know how things went. Enjoy your weekend and have fun.
Ed
Old 06-08-2007, 09:05 PM
opjose

Careful, the larger props may overheat the motor.

The 10x6 would be the safest.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:50 PM
twinbrother

mred33, our little conversation didn't involve you so why you calling someone an idiot? I'm a fair guy, when when a dumbass like yourself starts calling someone else an idiot, you better understand the dynamics of the conversation before getting involved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.