Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

30 minutes flight time from my Super Sportster EP!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

30 minutes flight time from my Super Sportster EP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 06:17 PM
mred33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 30 minutes flight time from my Super Sportster EP!

Well I got the 10x5 on it, but didn't like the way performed. Nice on the vertical, but not so good level. I had to use to much power. I like the way it flies on the 9x6 the best so far and will probly stay with that. The 11 props I have are for another motor and was not seariously thinking about using them on this one. Made one mistake though. I don't have a 10x6, just a 10x5 and 10x7. I couldn't get the 10x7 mounted today because it hit the cowel, so I'll have to try that one later. Didn't have any washers with me. I love the way it flies with the 9x6 though, except the ailerons are a little slow. Need to get more throw out of them. I'm also working on the CG. I had to add some weight to it to get it to ballance and I think I can take a little out. Other then that, it is flying great. I love it. Gonna fly my Senior Telemaster along with it next weekend. Take care and enjoy talking to you.
Ed
Old 06-11-2007, 09:44 AM
opjose

Maybe that's the way you came across?

Old 07-04-2007, 06:42 PM
mred33

Well I finally finished playing around with all the props I wanted to try out and the 9x6 and 9x7.5 worked out the best with my motor. The only problem was with the 9x7.5 I am pulling a few more amps and not getting quite the time I was getting with the 9x6 and while it is a little faster and goes up faster and quite a bit higher, I still like the 9x6 better all around. Not really that much difference in flying time, but overall, I like the way it flies with the 9x6 the best. I also got two more batteries from your source in Hong Kong and I really like the way they treat you besides getting a very good price on the batteries. I got 2 15C 2200mah batteries that I plan to put together to make one battery. Along with my 4000mah battery, I can now fly while charging the other one. I also got my motor (the one like yours) and now I know why I had to put some lead in mine and you didn't. I think I am going to put that one in an Esquire as soon as I get it. That is my next plane and will get it on order the middle of the month. In the mean time, I am having a ball with my SS and thanks to your help have a really great flying plane. I have about 20 flights on it now and after getting a couple of minor problems worked out am having a ball. Thanks for all your help.
Ed
Old 07-04-2007, 07:28 PM
opjose

Excellent!

Mine has also been doing a lot of flying as of late.

One guy at the field saw it fly and came up to me and asked what I had in it since he noticed that I was up for over 25 minutes.

Another guy showed up who had purchased one after seeing mine, and was in the middle of converting it to a .15 sized glow plane....

I originally suggested that he do exactly what you did, but I guess he didn't research the motors and batteries since he thought the conversion would end up to be a cheaper alternative.

It's a great little plane this way....

BTW: Don't be afraid of taking it out into 8mph+ winds, it does quite nicely if you haven't tried it.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:30 AM
mred33

The field I fly at has been graded and some kind of heavy mat put down and rolled until it is almost like cement. Don't know what it is, but it makes a great strip. The only problem is, 99% of the time there is a 90 deg cross wind, but what the heck, it's a great field and you can't have everything. I have had it up in 10 to 15 mph winds (cross winds) and it flies great. A little bumpy at times, but then all my planes get bumped around at times. Never let a little wind stop me from flying before, no reason to start now. Once I get up, it handles the wind quite nicely, but I have to watch the landings with the cross wind and bumpy air. I'm thinking about putting some wing tip skids on it to keep the tips from dragging in the cross wind, but other then that it flies great in the wind. I haven't tried anything more then about 15mph so far, but I think that is about the max I want to fly in. I can get 25min flights easy, but when others are around I try and keep it to around 10 or 12min so as not to hog the channel. Gotta get one of them 2.4GHz sets one of these days. Still have to figure out some trim for it one of these days too. Still solid red. I didn't much care for the yellow sun blaze that comes with it. Besides, I like being a little different then all the other Super Sportsters flying around here. Gotta go fly. Take care and enjoy your SS.
Ed
Old 07-07-2007, 01:11 PM
opjose

I put the wing tip skids on mine from day one.

I regularly do this on all of my planes, and I would highly recommend doing so on the SS as well.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:40 PM
mred33

http://rc-dymond.com/index.php?categoryID=3

Found a really good price for a local (USA) set of batteries. 12C 2200mah Check them out and see what you think. $39.00 isn't that bad a price and the shipping will be faster then 2 weeks.
Ed
Old 07-07-2007, 09:26 PM
opjose

Excellent!

Old 08-11-2007, 03:38 PM
bshirley1
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: opjose
It's a great little plane this way....
I am just getting back to flying after a four year layoff. Something
that has occured quite regularly during my 40 year love-hate affair
with the hobby. Never progressed beyond the "competent" Sunday
Flier stage. But enjoy the comradeship and fun of sport flying

I have been reading with great interest this and the other threads on
the GP SS EP 48 inch. One of my favorite planes has been, and is, a
GP 40 size SS. Mine has given yeoman service for over ten years of
on and off flying. It is a reworked ARF (Stripped of the atrocious
"shelf paper" covering back then plus beefed up areas such as LG,
wing attachment and tail feathers)

So as I start moving toward trying out the maturing electric mode,
the GP SSEP is quite attractive to me. Especially with outrunner
motors. I already have dived in to purchase an AF109 charger/blinky,
two esc's, and a 20C 3s2100 LIPO for service on a yet to be bought
airplane. How-some-ever ... I could use some advice on a motor to
go with the combination:

a) The BP 2915-5D is not available at this time. Should I wait for
restockage? Possibly/maybe not a good bet they will reappear?

b) The E-flite Power 10 motors are quite expensive. Overkill ?

c) Charley has tweaked my interest in the Hyperion motors. He says
that the 3013 is also overkill and the 3007 may be enough. Other
opinions?

d) I have seen some good words about the Scorpion motors used by
some with the new E-flite Extra 260. Would either of two possible
motors work with the GP SSEP for 400 watt/100 watts per pound?
(Scorpion 2221-12 or 3008-28) Or other Scorpion motors?

http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/pro...products_id=73
http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/pro...roducts_id=162

Any and all advice will be appreciated. This will be my winter project
after I get back on the bicycle with my other small glow engine planes

Bob S

PS: Do LiPos REALLY crash and BURN? Be keerfull out there.. YAHEAR!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42392.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	740060  
Old 08-11-2007, 04:11 PM
opjose

I find the E-Flite motors to be both over priced and producing less than stellar performance in terms of power output.

I've got a bunch of them and usually I end up having to move two motor sizes PAST the recommended to get any form of decent performance off a plane. Needless to say the E-Fites are not cheap.

I actually purchased the motor that BP is selling off E-bay. I could find you a link for a current sale for one if you are interested, but you'll find that it will be 2-3 weeks before you receive it as it comes from Hong Kong. The prices are very good even with shipping and the sellers seem to be reliable.

The BP hobbies motor is really a Tower Pro motor ( Tower Pro was recently sued by Tower Hobbies, so Tower Pro is rebranding as Hextronics ). There are probably other BP Hobbies motors which are suitable as well.

I've also have had good luck with Tower Hobbies Rimfire series. There are not as egregiously priced as the E-Flite.

The Hyperion are also excellent.

BTW: The ad I purchased the Tower Pro motor originally claimed it was a 550 watt, 980kv motor. Later I found that it was more like a 450watt 1250kv motor due to some changings in the windings.

The bottom line is that you want to be in the 450-600 watt range with about 1100kv-1400kv. Anything within that range that fits should do well.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:52 PM
bshirley1

I actually purchased the motor that BP is selling off E-bay.
I could find you a link for a current sale for one if you are
interested, but you'll find that it will be 2-3 weeks before
you receive it as it comes from Hong Kong.
Thanks for the reply and insight. Yes, a link to the HK supplier
would be appreciated. The eBay link you listed in a previous
post is more than a year old and therefore stale. I am not in
a big hurry. Go slow and learn more! Fewer misteaks (oops!)

Any thoughts or opinions on the Scorpion line of motors?

Hate to continue to be a pest: Last question. Promise {grin}
In running two 3S2100 LiPos in parallel, do both HAVE to be
of the same max current draw? ie can you parallel a 15C with
a 20C without detriment to either?

Best Regards ... Bob S

Old 08-11-2007, 10:00 PM
opjose

The RVMStore no longer lists a direct equivalent.

Here are some good alternatives:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWU2&P=7
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...84&pid=W815796
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...308&pid=AXI105

http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Hobby-1185-Kv...QQcmdZViewItem
Or [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Hobby-1185-Kv-RPM-V-Outrunner-Brushless-Motor-UP_W0QQitemZ270143734690QQihZ017QQcategoryZ34055QQ tcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem]CLICK ME[/link]

All should do well but the last should be a real powerhouse without resorting to increasing the voltage.

I think the last and the Rimfire would be my first and second choices.

Of the two scorpions I'd select this one: Scorpion HK-2221-12

---

Re: Parallel

Yes your 15c+20c combo is like flying with a 4200mAh 15c battery. ( use the lower of the two figures for safety ).

15Cx42 = 63Amp draw

Fudge that a bit for overzealous specs and I'd say that you could easily draw 55A in bursts.

None of the motors will draw that much at full power w/o burning out first... nor will you be propping them that high in the first place.

I've been running 2 12C batteries with my setup and the batteries don't even BEGIN to get warm. They stay cool throughout!

On the average you'll be drawing about 12-20 amps in normal flight, and maybe 38 amps in straight up rocket like flight.

This gives you a LOT of overhead and flight time.

That's why this works, there is so much reserve capacity that the entire system is never taxed to it's fullest.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:47 AM
bshirley1

That's why this works, there is so much reserve capacity
that the entire system is never taxed to it's fullest.
Yup. Yup. One of those timeless toy airplane axioms:
"Use a bigger engine. You can ALWAYS throttle back!"

Thank you so much for the really excellent advice and
previous posts on configuration for both performance
and endurance with the GPSS EP. Exactly what I was
looking for.

I like your two top choices for motors coupled with two
3S2100's. Should give my ST45 powered GPSS 54 incher
a run for the money in the fun and excitement area.

Will thunk over the RC Hobby 1185KV, the Rimfire and
possibly the Hyperion 3013-14 and make a decision on
one of them soon.

But first I need to get off my rear end and put the old
existing airplanes in the sky for some stick time to get
back the hand-eye coordination lost in the past 4 years!

Best Regards ... Bob S

Old 08-12-2007, 10:56 AM
dfalcon
My Feedback: (76)

ORIGINAL: bshirley1
Hate to continue to be a pest: Last question. Promise {grin}
In running two 3S2100 LiPos in parallel, do both HAVE to be
of the same max current draw? ie can you parallel a 15C with
a 20C without detriment to either?

Best Regards ... Bob S

When running packs in parallel, I've always thought it's best to use identical packs: size, brand, age, internal resistance. The 15C and 20C packs will have different internal resistances. The 15C pack will sag in voltage a little more than the 20C pack, and the 20C pack because of it's lower resistance will drain a little more quickly. If you ran the setup all the way to low voltage cutoff, my guess is that your 20C pack would be ruined.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:31 PM
opjose

I posted the same observations here on another thread, and was promptly trounched for making the same assertion.

Empirical evidence was put forward indicating that this is not as problematic as you've made it to be.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:18 PM
mred33

Well I just had to try it at least once. I finally got the BP motor and it was just sitting around and you know how it is. The next thing I had it in the SS and off I went to the field minus some lead I might add. That thing was fantastic to say the least. I was doing loops at about 300ft dia and plenty of power to do them with WOT. Cruse around at half and it was quite a bit faster then my 300 Watt was. I tried a 9x9 prop and boy did that thing move. Had to change back to the 9x6, just to fast and got flutter once in a very very shallow dive. I may never go back to the little motor again. This thing is a blast with the BP motor and I also got my second battery. Two 2200mah 20C from a little shop in Hong Kong. Not the same one you went to, but another one I found. They have a better selection of motors too. I'll get another one for the Esquire, ain't taking this one out of the SS. I finally decided on the trim, but am going to have to wait a little, because it is going to take a total recover to do what I want. Take care and hope you are having as much fun as I am.
Ed
Old 09-09-2007, 09:38 PM
opjose

Congrats!

It's an impressive flyer this way, isn't it?

One fan of electrics at our field commented...

"Wow that thing sounds like it has a .40 engine in it, because of how the prop is cranking!".

Old 09-10-2007, 09:22 AM
mred33

I've had quite a few comments on the way this thing flies. ALL of them are good and most want to know what my set up is and how long it flies. Most don't believe me until they see it fly for over 20 min. I never fly until battery cut off, so I can't really say how long it will fly. I like to make sure it has enough battery for at least one go around if I have to and I don't think I have ever put more then 3500mah back in the battery after flying. That was on my 4200mah battery, so I had a little left in the battery, but like I said, I would rather land with something left then have to worry about a dead stick at the wrong time. Everyone is very impressed with the way it performs and a couple of them are about ready to get one of their own and do the same modes I did. They just can't believe the way it flies. I have also given you full credit for this set up and refer them to this thread to read first just to make sure they understand what needs to be done and how to do it. I want to thank you again for all your help and hope you enjoy yours for many years to come.
Ed
Old 05-24-2009, 02:44 AM
20/20 Hindsight
My Feedback: (1)

Just wanted to say THANKSfor all the great information contained here. My SSEP should be arriving next week and I am scambling to get the parts together for this upgrade.

Snell
Old 05-24-2009, 11:49 AM
mred33

Hi Snellcomp;
Ithink you are going to love this airplanes. Make sure when you put it together so that you have good ailerion throw. The rudder and elevator are pretty easy, but I got the ailerone a little to tight and don't have the throw I need. My rolls are a little on the slow side.
Ijust bought my second Super Sportster EP. I wanted something that was different, but couldn't really figure out what I wanted to do with the colors so I just left it red. Ifinally put the standard trim on mine and said the heck with it. Then just before going to SEFFthis year, I got this bright idea for trim, but I didn't want to redue the one I had for various reasons, so I bought a new one.
The first thing I did was strip ALLthe covering off of it and sanded it real good. Then I put bigger pushrods assemblies in there. The stock pushrods are way to small and will allow flutter if you go to fast and that is very easy to do. They may be OK for a stock setup, but not this one with the way Ifly. Iam going to recover mine in the colors of the PT-19. Ihave the tail and wings finished now and just finished up installing the pushords last night, so I should be able to get the fuse recovered today or tomarrow. I'm hoping to have mine ready for next weekend and if the rain ever lets up, Ijust may go out sooner.
My old one is still flying and I'm having a ball with it, Ijust don't like the aileron roll rate. This one should be much different. Hope you enjoy yours as much as Ihave enjoyed mine. My old one flies great in most ways and has been flown in 20mph winds with little trouble. One piece of advice Ican give you is don't use the break for the prop. If you stop the prop it glides forever and won't slow down. Ileave mine windmilling and the breaking action slows it down nicely.
Take care and enjoy.

Ed
Old 05-24-2009, 12:35 PM
20/20 Hindsight

Thanks mred33...

The links that opjose had posted originally are long since dead. What would be a good currently available outrunner to consider? I've got an ElectriFly silver series 45A ESC that I'd like to use if I can, and a 2 into 1 connector for the 2000-2200 LiPos. I flew opjose's RealFlight 3.5 sim and was just floored at how well it flies. Ordered from Tower on the 2 payment $49.99 each deal, should arrive Weds the 27th. I'm thinking of trimming mine similar to my Four Star 60; old school scallops...

My buddy at Mike @ Mile High RC suggested this motor:

http://www.milehighrc.com/brushless3542-6.html

Said he set one up for a customer and it worked well, sent this video link of it:

http://www.milehighrc.com/Videos/Sup...ster450-18.wmv

Name:	Ge94320.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	1204883  
Old 05-24-2009, 01:00 PM
mred33

That looks like a good motor to fly it on. While mine is a 450W motor, Inever prop it to that. Inormally go with a 9X6 or 9X7.5 APC prop. It flies plenty good and with it pulling 20 amps or less, you get a lot of flying time. Ihave a 4000mah battery that I use in mine and you could use 2 2200mah batteries to give you 4400mah. You are going to need the weight up there anyway, so you may as well get flying time out of it rather then just led that does nothing. Isee adds for a 2200mah 20C 3cell Flightmax battery all the time for $18.95 and I have used them and they seem to be good batteries. You can get them here in the states if you can catch them in stock, or buy them from Hobby City. They carry them more often at Hobby City, but it takes me 2 weeks to get them. Have fun with you SS. It should look super with the scallops on it.

Ed
Old 11-21-2009, 12:23 PM
20/20 Hindsight

OK, a little six month detour...life happens. I just ordered a

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...id=1&item_id=9

and a couple of their 30C 2200 LiPos for the SS, I'll post more as it starts coming along.

Snell
Old 11-22-2009, 06:47 PM
mred33

I think you will find that you have more power then you need for most of the flight. With that battery and the right prop, you should be able to get a good 20 to 30 min flying time out of it. I just ordered a second one a few weeks back to recover it in a different color and low and behold they have come out with a brushless change on it now that takes a brushless motor without all the modes we needed to do before. Just my luck, I buy a new one and they come out with a better one right after that and it's even cheaper. No motor and all the rest of the junk that you don't need, but have to pay for anyway. Now all you need to do is buy the plane and pick your motor and the rest with nothing to throw away that we weren't using before. Oh well, can't win them all. Take care and let us know how yours flies with that setup on it.

Ed
Old 07-16-2010, 02:52 PM
20/20 Hindsight

Well well well...another 6 months come & gone. I am finally screwing & gluing my SS EP together, did a power test a few minutes ago, The Value Hobby G-15 pulled 25 amps @ 289 Watts with 9 x 6E APC, a 10 x 7E APC gave 23.4 amps @ 268 watts. I fabricated a firewall to use X mount w/teflon spacers. Also added a layer of light fiberglass on the upper surface of the wing joint to add strength. Hope to fly it before August, will be using a pair of 2200 mAh Hyperion 45C packs, HiTec HS-81 servos & Aurora 9 radio. Everything's still rough until I fit cowl.

Snell

Name:	Ay73526.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	1468763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47840.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	1468764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82408.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	1468765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy71791.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	1468766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al71448.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	1468767  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.