Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Almost Ready - GeeBee Z

Old 01-19-2004, 06:33 PM
BykrDan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost Ready - GeeBee Z

Here's the latest pic's of my indoor GeeBee Z, lacking only the canopy, almost ready to go. (There's no tailskid, either, but that's okay - the wheels are going to have to come off for flight anyway I'm afraid).

I'm also waiting for a calm, dry day, too. At its present weight of 50g, the first flights had better be outdoors I'm supposing. I may even need to up the motor and prop size, too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22913.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	92287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13176.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	92288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42663.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	92289  
Old 01-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Mike Taylor
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Almost Ready - GeeBee Z

That looks very good, Dan. How about shooting it on a neutral background so that nice job doesn't get lost in the backgound? How long before you get some flight tests?
Old 01-20-2004, 08:02 AM
dhurd

Dan,
Excellent job on the airframe. I hope she flies well for ya!
Just a little advise, the folder prop and KP00 is very inefficient setup. You won't get the max thrust the KP00 can output with that prop. The U80 is better and a GWS 3X3 is even better.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Tim Wolff
My Feedback: (4)

Hey Dan,
How does the GWS 3x3 perform on a Kenway geared M20? I have this setup on a Lil'Skeeter, but won't be able to test until Wed. night.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Tim Wolff

Nice looking micro BykrDan. Where about in Ohio are you?
Old 01-20-2004, 12:40 PM
BykrDan

Thanks guys... Excellent advice, I will take it all.

I had to mess with the pictures quite a bit to get even that much yellow out of them! I'll just take it outside or something and get better pictures.

Thanks for the tip about the prop - I'll need all the power I can get out of this setup to fly this plane. I just stuck the folder on because it seemed to clear the cowl better, but I think I'll look up the 3x3.

If I have a lot of trouble, I'll try the 4.2:1 gearing and the 10cm prop...

I'm finishing the mold for the canopy tonight, so I may be able to get a test flight in this week, if the wind stays down. By the way, Mike, I never did see a flight report for the Albatross - did I miss it?

Tiberius - I'm in West Chester, some minutes toward the frozen north of Cincinnati. Pronounced 'Cold'n'Windy'.

Dan.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Tim Wolff

ORIGINAL: BykrDan

Tiberius - I'm in West Chester, some minutes toward the frozen north of Cincinnati. Pronounced 'Cold'n'Windy'.

Dan.
I'm further North in MI. But, fly indoors just south of the border. Safe to say that I won't see you @ the local indoor sessions here
Old 01-20-2004, 03:30 PM
dhurd

tiberius,
The 3x3 would be too small for the 4.2:1 gearing. Try a 4X4 or maybe a 5xwhateverthesmallestgwspitchisfora5"prop.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:36 PM
Mike Taylor
My Feedback: (1)

Dan,

I've flown it, but just a few short hops. I'm trying to get 1) a day away from work, 2) no wind, 3) a decently smooth surface, and 4) a photographer together at the same time... In the short hops I've made, it does ROG and fly, and the controls seem to be adequate (roll rate could be a little faster, though). I do have some serious questions about the MJ Rx's range, so I'm sort of afraid to fly it outside. I'm hoping to take it and another one in the works to the next indoor meet so I can get 1 through 4 together in a space where I won't get out of range...