Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Mini Bladerunner question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Cevan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Bladerunner question

I bought one of these from the Discovery Channel store. It's the same as the one sold at Radio Shack. It flew perfect for the 1st 10 flights or so, but now it appears as if one of the gears is slipping. The main shaft move ups slightly once the rotors start turning and I think this is disengaging a gear. I checked on a forum thread for the original BR and it seems that had a similar problem. I'm debating about whether to try and get another one under warranty (returning it to the store is not an option) or cut the thing apart.

Any ideas?

P.S. I really want to take the body off and install a led light on the front for night flying. Anyone do this?
Old 06-01-2006, 10:06 AM
toader32

Default RE: Mini Bladerunner question

If the pinion gear is slipping and moving out of position, just slide the pinion gear down a bit and apply a small dab of glue on the motor shaft....then push the pinion gear back up into position. I had to do this with my Mini Dragonfly King. Works good now. Make sure you don't get any glue near the motor output bearing.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:31 PM
monstermaker13

my mini dragonfly kings 2nd propeller motor burnt out and i threw mine away.i loved that little heli.[]
Old 06-01-2006, 05:04 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

Cevan,

there's a thread on the mini heli here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4219729/tm.htm

i've had mine for a couple weeks now and it's still flying well. go ahead and remove the body, it'll help shed some weight and help the motors cool down more. not to mention you'll be able to fix the gear problem.

if one of the gears is slipping, its most likely the middle gear thats held in with the metal shaft. the main rotor shaft is supposed to have some slop in it so its not too tight and binds, but if that metal shaft slips up, the middle gear will too and you'll lose your mesh. the metal shaft is just a press fit into the plastic frame, so you can push it back down. make sure the gear has some slop in it, like the rotor shaft, or it'll bind also.

at most hardware stores, they sell liquid graphite. the stuff i have is supposed to be for key lock holes, but it works wonders for the heli. lube all the gears, the main shaft (where the bottom rotor gear rotates on the shaft), and lube the top and bottom bushings of the motors. the graphite lube is non-conductive, so it wont cause any shorting.

the motors in the mini BR are the same as the ones in the BR and BRII, and they're well known for burning out quickly. but, lubing everything that moves really helps prolonge the life of the motors, and if you do remove the body, take some sand paper and scuff up the motor cans, and then color them black with a Sharpie marker. doing this will help disperse some heat as well.

i've removed the body, replaced the plastic tail boom with a 2mm carbon shaft, and replaced the plastic rotor spacer with the silcone tubing that holds the top rotor in place, doing all that shaves enough weight to keep things going a bit longer. i've got a couple videos, but i need to edit them a bit so they're more clear, i'll post them when they're finished.

nick