Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

PiccoZ Micro R/C heli

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 01:30 PM
googledperson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PiccoZ Micro R/C heli

can i use hot glue for my new body or does it weigh to much? captn crunch can i have the specs of those bodies just so i have an idea. Ive measured my picco but the body i am in the process of making i think is too small. Also, howd you cut the rotor gear slots? and the shaft hole? before or after putting it together? PS this is harder than i thought Also, cptn how and where did you make a hole for the charger and switch? Any ideas how to solve a recieving problem? i think its cause i use black foam, its blocking the infa red
Old 10-14-2006, 03:28 PM
makg

Hey guys, should I remove the gear covers, or leave them on? and also, where are those sticky tabs located in the box?
Old 10-14-2006, 03:44 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I left the gear covers on, did not see the benefit versus problem ratio working out. The stickers should be in the little bag with the spare tail rotors. Tim
Old 10-14-2006, 07:50 PM
googledperson

i finally finished her! She does not look like any earthly helicopter but does look like some sort of black bat! massive frontal weight means she flies around the house!Entirely black except for shom blue sharpie (its became shiny red when i put it on) it love this thing! I kind wish it looked more like a chopper tho! Oh yea i fixed the infra red blockage problem by poking random holes in the body, now it looks battle scarred. Also, any ideas for landing gear? what shoul i make it out of?
Old 10-14-2006, 11:55 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

This is insanity. Saw the PicooZ at the local Wal Mart and wondered, does it fly? With two channels? So, these days, thanks to the miracle of the Internet I do a search. Holy guano Batman, this thing is a phenomenon. Well, after spending three hours reading dozens of posts on three different websites, I go and get me one.

Well, I'll be danged. She flys. Hey, flying it reminds me of the skill required and the tons of fun flying single channel a million years ago. Raquel Welch wasn't even born yet. Well, anyway, I've been lucky, mine is the Picooooo and has none of the problems some have encountered, So far,,,,,

Well, except for a serious wobble of the rotor at full throttle. And the fix, if not already done this way, was simple and quick, per below. Now the full bore is smooth as silk, as is idle. Yeah, that's engine jargon, sorry. I'm converting an ARK to glow. Now I'm thinking, why bother.

But I've got all winter to do that, meanwhile I can fly INDOORS. Neat.

Most of the mods on the forums have been mentally noted and I'll be looking into some of them.

Meanwhile, please, just to save looking for a half hour for it, where can a guy get the CF shaft and the ball bearings. Someone, somewhere, had a few hundred for sale.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83277.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	541267  
Old 10-15-2006, 01:59 AM
micro_builder

well, its in the UK, but indoorflyer has an upgrade kit. i think its sold out, but i'm not sure. here's their site: http://www.indoorflyer.co.uk/

otherwise, you can get the same stuff here in the states from homefly: http://www.homefly.com/default.asp

going with bearings makes all the differance in the world, i couldnt believe how smooth it was afterwards.

nick
Old 10-15-2006, 05:17 AM
renoscenic

Hey guys i need your help , im so excited having my two picoo z , at first it flies very well i have put a small weight secured with tape right below the belly , it flies very slow forward , i can turn left and right , then i charged full both batteries of my picoos and put them back in the box . but today it kept on turning counter clockwise , made some adjustment and corrected slightly the problem but i still need to do a small input to keep it straight , and in some occassion it goes bananas like blackhawk down being shot even about a meter height . i checked the tail its straight and no hair , was it the ground effect making this problem or some glitches , i also cut few plastic from the rotor as my only mod so far. do i need to balance the main rotor blade after cutting? or the tail motor not spinning enough to counter balance the effect of the main rotor?
Old 10-15-2006, 11:03 AM
makg

You could be getting in too much light with your Z, I know when I'm inside and a ray of sunshine hits it, or if I go too close to a fluorescent light, it goes bananas.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:35 AM
googledperson

does it spin left or right renn try a new tail prop if its spinning left, if right try trimming the controler or slicing a bit more of the tail rotor.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:52 AM
flyingace451

Not to be a pr*ck or anything, but isn't this in the wrong forum?
Old 10-15-2006, 12:42 PM
micro_builder

picco question in a picco thread? looks right to me.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:24 PM
renoscenic

finally it corrected its self now i can fly in control again , i remember somebody mention here that when the battery is fully charge too much power it can give to the main motor resulting to spinning too and vibration . half way to my battery life it flies again , beatiful piece of machine, i just need to turn off the tv and dim my living room light a little. I find my heli now climbing too much even on half trottle only almost hitting my ceiling , since i trimmed the main rotor blade , and its fast . . really fast . sometimes i also letting it go 45 degress nose down , and it flies like a dart, anybody tried this ? awsome . . . cant wait to fly this again i am charging them both now . i learned too that , because of the absence of the heading hold giro , once you give it a stick to either left or right you have to counter balance it again to the opposite direction to keep it straight otherwise it will just turn in circle, ( by giving a little right stick input you will achive a good control ),micro builder is right its hard to land this one in the right spot. (i also fly a 6 channel helicopter mode 1 , and i always forgot that it doest have backward control , and i keep on pressing down the right stick which doest exist , resulting to slamming to the wall ) , i think i will get the mosquito too , so my picco's can meet more friends. lol
Old 10-15-2006, 02:02 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: flyingace451

Not to be a pr*ck or anything, but isn't this in the wrong forum?

???
Old 10-15-2006, 03:11 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

electric and indoor and micro and r/c and it flies, Yep seems to be the correct forum.

I took both of mine outside yesterday, heavy clouds and some fog, I was wondering if some of the flight issues were due to the controller. I originally flew with the first controller and charged with the second. We had people over and got to flying around and mixed up the controllers. As strange as it seems one controller seems to work better. I marked it with a rubber band. For the record both of my piccos are now c channel. Tim
Old 10-15-2006, 05:06 PM
flyingace451

No offense intended with that post, I'm just wondering what a heli thread (an uber long one too) is doing in the planes area.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:50 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Ace, all teasing aside, who would look for a 7" long helo on the main helo forum? And it's 2 channel. And it's electric at that. Big helo guys would look and say that's a toy. The same as guys that fly scale and park flyers look at the Aero Ace and consider it a toy. The Gyrotor is 12" long, but is still 2 channel, and electric. I had some thoughts about putting it elsewhere. But, the people most likely to buy and fly one, are on this forum. IMHO, Tim
Old 10-15-2006, 10:00 PM
makg

ORIGINAL: FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Ace, all teasing aside, who would look for a 7" long helo on the main helo forum? And it's 2 channel. And it's electric at that. Big helo guys would look and say that's a toy. The same as guys that fly scale and park flyers look at the Aero Ace and consider it a toy. The Gyrotor is 12" long, but is still 2 channel, and electric. I had some thoughts about putting it elsewhere. But, the people most likely to buy and fly one, are on this forum. IMHO, Tim
Agreed
Old 10-15-2006, 10:07 PM
AndyW

ORIGINAL: flyingace451

No offense intended with that post, I'm just wondering what a heli thread (an uber long one too) is doing in the planes area.

I'm into 1/2A and diesel engines. So when I have something to offer with a diesel 1/2A, where do I put it? The answer is both. Might be time to alert the heli guys to this thread.

Reminds me of a big RC meet many, many years ago. Big pattern ships, big scale and screaming .40s. So this kid shows up with an electric, two channel ARF, one of the first to come out of the Orient. What happens? He puts in one flight and gets a line up of guys wanting to try it out. There was just something about the fun factor without the stress that appealed to everybody. This is where the Pico/Picoo shines. Challenging, intriguing, damn cute, fun and damn near indestructible. Kind of like flying a simulator only the reset button is just you picking it up and setting it down on the skids.

Nick,

Many thanks, for the links. Failing the hi tech stuff, I may just make up some Teflon or nylon or brass bushings.

Eventually, I think I may end up adapting the guts to an ultralight, indoor plane of some sort. Retain the gearing to swing a 6" rubber prop driving a largish ultralight made up of sticks and mylar. The tail rotor would be used to counter the torque reaction of the big prop. This would also allow steering no different from the way it works on a heli. Likely done already, just an idea.

Another idea. Make the heli three channel with a second tail rotor horizontal and pointing down. Make it tail heavy allowing the second rotor to contribute to the overall lift. This will then allow you to control fore and aft movement. Again, likely discussed elsewhere, just an idea.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:12 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

thanks makg. I appreciate the support.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:56 PM
makg

Ok guys, I found some spare AA props, so if anybody wants to trade a set of AA props for one or possibly two Picco/Picoo Z tail props, PM me...
Old 10-15-2006, 11:13 PM
3DMON
My Feedback: (39)

In Response to FlyingAce...

If you read the Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight description it states helis too.

Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:56 PM
flyingace451

Ah ok that answers it, thanks

I fly 3D foamies, but my AA still gets more flying time than my Stryker or my foamies. They're just too addicting. If they make a 3ch heli that is decent (for planes terms: elevator, rudder, and throttle or heli terms: fore and aft cyclic, tail rotor, and throttle) that would be great! I owned a 2ch heli and it kind of got boring, you can't control exactly where it goes.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:30 PM
micro_builder

the AirHogs Helix is a 3 channel. the main channel is for the main rotors, the two other channels go to 2 6mm pager motors to give left, right, forward and back. they would basically act the same as ailerons or elevons if you were to connect an actuator to it rather than a motor. the RX looks pretty beefy though, so it probably weighs a bit, its also not proportional, but its a possibility.

nick
Old 10-16-2006, 07:37 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Andy, as I looked at your fix for the shaft wobble, I thought to myself. Wrapping wire to stabilize the main shaft, brilliant. so my question for you is, Did you try a 2 wrap or just go with one and it worked.

Open question, My piccos both fly better with a pushpin in the nose. My modified picco, wings and enlarged tail fin, flies better that my "control" picco. I do not like the push pin. Has anyone just done a nose job on one of these?

Tim
Old 10-16-2006, 10:21 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Sorry to be a forum hog, but I just got confirmation that a new shipment of picco z's and gyrotors arrived. Hobbytron has raised the price again, $49 for the picco and $59. for the gyrotor. I think the gyrotor will increase in price as more people fly it. supply and demand. The gyrotor is an interesting heli and better than the picco in some aspects. end of notification. Since I don't work for the above companies, I'll shut up. Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.