Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Helium

Old 03-18-2003, 10:31 PM
jabs130

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helium

I was thinking about it. if you build a small plane but find that it woun't fly try this. Put helium in the wing cavity. you have to make sure that it is airtight, with the exception of two rubber pump holes, on oppasite sides. Like the type of a basketball. tilt the plane on its side. tkae the helium pump and pump the heluim in to the top hole. meanwhill but a holow pin on the bottom hole to let air out. you need to find a heluim pump somewhere. not sure where but i have seen them. I you make it airtight the helium shoudl stay in for a while.

And ideas on this?

Alex

P.S. desighing my elevation conrtol will be here soon
Old 03-19-2003, 10:40 AM
Steve Lewin

Default Helium

If you check you'll find that the volume of helium in the average small wing would reduce the overall weight by about 2 or 3g (or less than the weight of the valves you'd need). Helium needs a LOT of volume to carry any payload.

Steve
Old 03-19-2003, 11:42 AM
Diesel Dave-RCU

Default helium

I happen to play with a rather large indoor blimp from time to time. Helium will lift just under an ounce, per cubic foot. Given that, I really don't think filling the wing of an indoor flyer, will do you any good.

Helium is an atmospheric gas, I have never seen a "pump" for it. But that is not to say one exists. Compressed tanks are readily available.

Dave
Old 03-19-2003, 09:23 PM
jabs130

Default Helium

just pondering it. thanks for your imput
Old 03-30-2003, 04:52 AM
wild3dfunfly

Default Helium

maybe blow up wings ?