Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Hacker Q80 help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 AM
flyf3a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hacker Q80 help needed

Hi

In installing the above motor I notice that when tightening the prop that the motor rotation gets very tight, is this normal? The installation is per manufactures specifications. Any suggestions or is this normal?

Regards
Burt
Old 12-30-2010, 09:36 AM
flyboy91
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Hacker Q80 help needed

Burt,

There are a few things to check that come to mind. First, Make sure the 3 wires are not touching on the back of the motor as this will cause the motor to not want to turn freely. The other thing that I could think of would be the washer that has the rubber oring is not on the motor causing the collet to try and touch the bearings. Let me know if this works, if not maybe take a picture and we can see what we can come up with.

Andrew Jesky
Old 12-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Dre
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other thing to look at is the helical spring (washer like thing) behind the washer that the collet sits on. The helical sping can shift side to side and be trapped off-center on tightening thereby binding the rotation - been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

Andre Bouchard
Old 12-31-2010, 02:20 AM
flyf3a

Hi Andre

The helical spring seems to be the problem. Even when centered the motor tightens up. One can still turn it by hand but it is not as loose as if no prop installed. I removed the helical spring completly and then the rotation is normal (same as prior to tightening up the prop). Also if I reverse the washer, then the motor turns fine as the helical spring is now not compressed completely. The questions therefor, is there suppose to be a slight amount of motor tigtening up when the prop is tightened or is it suppose to remain as loose as prior to tightening the prop. Can one remove the helical spring completely, any suggestion welcome? One can see some scuff marks on the spring, (probably against the outer side of the bearing), thus appears that this spring is turning when the motor is turning and this is causing the tightening.

Regards
Burt
Old 01-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Dre

Burt,

The as-received configuration has the step on the washer facing towards the bearing - with prop mounted there should still be a gap for the spring. If the washer is reversed (step forward) the spring would be compressed upon tightening. It may be that your spring is out of round after being compressed off-center, so it binds?

The purpose of the spring appears to be to dampen the fore-aft movement of the drive shaft that would occur between acceleration and breaking. This would not be an issue with a robust rear support (prevents rearward movement of the drive shaft). Not sure about the long term effect of not using the spring.

Regards,

ab

Old 01-02-2011, 03:36 AM
flyf3a

Hi

That is what I would think as well, however the instruction brochure received shows a suggested photo of the configuration, step on the washer facing forward away from the bearing. Thanks for the help.

Regards
Burt
Old 01-02-2011, 07:12 AM
EHFAI

Burt

Take another look at the pics in the instruction sheet. In the sheet that I have the top photo shows the wave washer on the shoulder side of the aluminum washer.

I find it easy for the wave washer to displace when the drive hub is removed. A fix is to use a little grease to hold the washer in position and an adhesive (CA / epoxy / Loctite) to hold the aluminum washer in position.

All that said, I don't understand the need for the wave washer - why that much end play? Maybe there's a slight self alignment of the magnets as it runs? The wave washer is clearly not intended to carry load, as it's between the non-rotating bearing shield and the rotating aluminum washer. It would seem that a better design would be to place a thin washer behind the wave which would result in all these parts rotating with the shaft.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Dre

Burt,

Attached is a picture of mine as-delivered.

ab
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71281.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1541439  
Old 01-02-2011, 09:44 PM
icicles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry guys, not trying to hijack this thread.

Anybody have a copy of the instructions that came with the Q80?
And would they be prepared to send me a copy?. I didn't receive anything with my one.

Cheers, muchly appreciated

Chris
Old 01-03-2011, 01:52 AM
Andy P.

ORIGINAL: icicles

Sorry guys, not trying to hijack this thread.

Anybody have a copy of the instructions that came with the Q80?
And would they be prepared to send me a copy?. I didn't receive anything with my one.

Cheers, muchly appreciated

Chris
Here you go Chris:

http://www.hacker-motor.com/daten/an...-Anleitung.pdf

It's got both German and English text.

Happy new year.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:10 AM
icicles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful,

Thank you very much

Chris
Old 01-05-2011, 08:41 AM
flyf3a

Hi

Thanks, that is in line with the instruction manual photos, it still does not explain the tightening up of my motor rotation when the prop is being tightened, unless this is normal.

Regards
Burt
Old 01-05-2011, 01:27 PM
EHFAI

Burt

The motor should not require anymore effort to turn when the prop is tightened. If it does and the wave washer is in place with the flat portion of the aluminum washer forward (toward the collet) and there is spinner clearance, there is some problem that need be resolved by Hacker.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:36 AM
kevinlam

excuse me, is the wave washer inner diameter is exactly the same as the outer diameter of the step of the washer which is 12.7mm?
Old 02-12-2021, 04:13 AM
torques

Hi, I know this is a pretty old thread but I'm having the exact same problem.
Apart from getting rotation gets very tight, the engine raises excess temperature after flying a P21 range.
Could someone fix it?
I am placing the wavy washer between the bearing and the aluminum washer (obviously looking that it fits correctly), is that order correct?

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:26 AM
Flowmotion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello torques,

Have you ever asked Hacker directly. The best way is via email:
http://[email protected]

The guys are very friendly and also speak very good English.

Gerhard
The following users liked this post:
torques (02-12-2021)